Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Hey Hick Caller on the LAW: Stop breathing into your loving phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
"When Jake Roberts disappeared in 1996 shortly after the Steve Austin thing, was that planned or was that demons?"

"Yeah, that was demons."

I laughed so loving hard. I shouldn't, but the way it was said was really funny. If you had no clue what the context was you would think Jake Roberts was possessed by Satan.

Maybe he is...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Six Drinks In Does Wrestling for RAW

http://www.sixdrinksin.com/2012/02/06/six-drinks-in-does-wrestling-for-02-06-2012/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo I ran over the title belt! Better reverse my car! Oh no! I ran over it again. And again! And again! God, what a freak accident that I ran over this belt six times!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Flameingblack posted:

A brand-new Art of Wrestling-stlye podcast with the CHIKARA roster. It's all in Kayfabe which makes it even cooler, especially when they get to the bigger characters.

This week is Sara Del Rey.

http://grizzlyproductions.tv/my-breakfast-with-chikara/

welp, I know what I'm going to be listening to for the rest of the afternoon.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
This week's back issue is the "Love Machine" Art Barr bio, which is among the best pieces of writing Dave has done. In retrospect, Barr's career probably would have taken off insanely in America within just a few years as the style caught up to him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

This week's back issue is the "Love Machine" Art Barr bio, which is among the best pieces of writing Dave has done. In retrospect, Barr's career probably would have taken off insanely in America within just a few years as the style caught up to him.

Assuming he could keep himself from raping anyone else.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Retro Observer posted:

Titan is also talking about traveling out of the Northeast and going back to larger arenas for television tapings, feeling the change away from that has taken away from the company's television product and major league luster. The problem isn't the size of the buildings the shows are filmed in. The problem is what's being filmed.

:smug:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I need a better product and I've been in show business for nine years and am not afraid to be shat on. Can anybody make some suggestions for the Six Drinks In Does Wrestling podcast?

I definitely need a co-host for Mondays, but other than that...

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

LividLiquid posted:

I need a better product and I've been in show business for nine years and am not afraid to be shat on. Can anybody make some suggestions for the Six Drinks In Does Wrestling podcast?

I definitely need a co-host for Mondays, but other than that...

You are in the 206 right?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moose Bigelow posted:

You are in the 206 right?
Sure am.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

LividLiquid posted:

Sure am.

I could if you want a temp host.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This week's episode of Review-A-Wai is really good and you should listen to it. The insight from former writer Alex Greenfield about Rey's title reign, Lashley's rise, and the Orton/Rey angle about Eddie being in hell is really enlightening (or at least it was to me).

http://fightnetwork.com/news/wrestling/review-wai-wwe-06-w-alex-greenfield/

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Reading the 1994 Observer, and I'd love to see this exchange with the Macho Man:

quote:

Callers and Coppock brought up steroids and he (Macho) gave incoherent ramblings and when Coppock brought up that wrestlers didn't have a union, he gave an equally incoherent response. One caller made mention that Ric Flair let Hulk Hogan walk all over him and another asked if the reason Bret Hart, Yokozuna and Ultimate Warrior are going to WCW is because of steroids which momentarily turned his face pale.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

This week's episode of Review-A-Wai is really good and you should listen to it. The insight from former writer Alex Greenfield about Rey's title reign, Lashley's rise, and the Orton/Rey angle about Eddie being in hell is really enlightening (or at least it was to me).

http://fightnetwork.com/news/wrestling/review-wai-wwe-06-w-alex-greenfield/
I listened to this earlier today and it really is a good interview. It also reinforced for me just how bad of a job Dave Lagana did when he would interview these same guys on his own podcast.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Pretty sure this just went up today but apologies if it's old. Colt has MVP on his podcast at http://welovecolt.com/ I'm like 30 minutes in and it's pretty entertaining so far. He talks about what landed him in jail and then how he got into wrestling etc.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moose Bigelow posted:

I could if you want a temp host.
Have we met? Username at GMail.

Edit: You have a Mitch Hedberg joke in your profile. Provided you understand that this is just a for-fun thing and neither of us gets paid, let's give it a shot. Mail.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 10, 2012

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
After reading Dave's trip report in the 11/28/94 Observer about the AJW Tokyo Dome show, I immediately ordered the DVDs and my goodness what a show it is. Aja Kong's entrance literally has her flying a spaceship.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I choose to believe that this is just Aja Kong's personal spaceship which she uses all the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The bit about MVP literally threatening the writers in a shoot so he'd get called up was amazing. Just proves to me the WWE hosed up by not making him a bigger deal. I also watched that segment he did with Flair that he told people to look up, he's right: It was good stuff.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah MVP is a pretty great example of a talented dude that WWE completely dropped the ball on.

I wonder what WWE today would be like if guys like MVP, Kennedy, Lashley actually stuck around the WWE and were pushed consistently. I know that when they were in WWE they were pegged as main eventers for the future.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Something about MVP just never seemed like a big time main event guy to me. Booking aside I just felt like his ceiling was Mr. perfect level.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'd say one of the major deficiencies on the WWE roster at the moment is guys at the Mr Perfect level, who can main event if needed to and fill out the card otherwise.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lamuella posted:

I'd say one of the major deficiencies on the WWE roster at the moment is guys at the Mr Perfect level, who can main event if needed to and fill out the card otherwise.

Yea I agree he was about that level, but I think that's a wonderful level to have people in! MVP seems like a great dude who just got poo poo on for some reason, if we had more dudes like him the cards would actually be universally interesting instead of just timewastes until it's time for the main event.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I feel like Daniel Bryan and MVP could have really good matches with each other. He had awesome matches with Benoit, and there's definitely a bit of Benoit in Bryan (not the part that murdered people, though). That aside, EC would sure as poo poo be a lot better if it were MVP in there and not Khali.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Are any of the podcasts/newsletters/whatever on the Observer site for the couple of weeks in the aftermath of Benoit?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Rodney the Piper posted:

Are any of the podcasts/newsletters/whatever on the Observer site for the couple of weeks in the aftermath of Benoit?

All of the Figure Four stuff is, but none of the Observer stuff other than a couple Figure Four Dailys with Dave. It was pre-merger.

Dave never wrote a Benoit bio anyway.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Was there an issue/show that did a full breakdown of the circumstances surrounding it, regarding police reports and such?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

Was there an issue/show that did a full breakdown of the circumstances surrounding it, regarding police reports and such?

Almost everything in late-June and July is about Benoit. It dominated the news for months as more terrible details came dripping out.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. Just so I don't sound like someone on the verge of Benoit-jusitification or whatever, I was wanting to look over toxicology reports after listening to the interview with Chris Bell a few years back on the Observer show.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

Thanks. Just so I don't sound like someone on the verge of Benoit-jusitification or whatever, I was wanting to look over toxicology reports after listening to the interview with Chris Bell a few years back on the Observer show.

Here's the F4W with toxicology report breakdowns.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
drat son. Thanks!

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Listening to the MVP AoW right now. The dude is really smart, and honestly should have been a bigger deal. I certainly never would have thought that Mark Henry would be the one from that tag team to reinvent himself and be a World Champion.

edit: and MVP watches Cowboy Bebop. This goon just fell in love. :goonsay:

schweens fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 12, 2012

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Grantonio posted:

Listening to the MVP AoW right now. The dude is really smart, and honestly should have been a bigger deal. I certainly never would have thought that Mark Henry would be the one from that tag team to reinvent himself and be a World Champion.

edit: and MVP watches Cowboy Bebop. This goon just fell in love. :goonsay:

When he did the show with Lagana I was floored with how knowledgeable he was of the entire history of the business. I wonder if a even a quarter of the roster can talk wrestling history like he can, he truly loves the sport.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

maniacripper posted:

When he did the show with Lagana I was floored with how knowledgeable he was of the entire history of the business. I wonder if a even a quarter of the roster can talk wrestling history like he can, he truly loves the sport.

Yeah but he was rude to a piss tester once so

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

He was also one of the "heavily fined" pot users.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

So he got to leave on his own terms and pursue his dream of wrestling in Japan?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It reminded him of his time in jail and well, had a lapse in judgement there (which he admitted to).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
That podcast with Dave & Lance "debating" the Nick Diaz controversy and drugs in UFC sure was a waste of time haha. I did love Bryan explaining how cops would learn how to combat people who were on drugs, and Dave interjecting that that is most likely people on PCP, not weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

After giving LAW a try it's far better to me personally than F4W's podcasts. The guys on LAW aren't nearly as terrible as Alvarez and Meltzer and when Meltzer makes appearances on LAW he doesn't seem to use "like" and "ya know" ten billion times.

I don't mind Alvarez's sidekicks on his shows but goddamn I can only hear so many stupid stories about your cat. And I'm saying that as a person that doesn't mind cats.

• Locked thread