Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I always thought of it much more as a Quantum Leap (especially once the Black Chronicle is introduced early on). The overall concept, I was totally cool with and had enjoyed. I just wanted a little more flexibility in how to go about accomplishing the small stuff while maintaining the bigger picture. I feel like if there were more than one way to go about solving the various dilemmas yet still resulted in the same result (something you could experience first hand by trying the various solutions out), it would have reinforced this merging concept more. Although likely people would have just complained the game mailed it in with complaints of "my actions don't really matter", so some exposition would definitely be necessary I guess.

One thing I have to constantly remind myself when I complain about this game is that it actually seemed like a moderately low budget game in hindsight. I don't know if that's true in reality though, but the production values seem to hint at it so maybe it's just asking for too much rather than making a criticism.

I really want to give the game a second shake, but I am enjoying the Lets Play infinitely more since I don't have to suffer the boring gameplay. The plot is so good though from an onlooker's point of view.

I almost feel guilty for disliking the game.

Nickoten posted:

It sucks because many games have done the idea of cross-world interaction in the past and much more elegantly.
I can think of one or two but I can't think of very many. Obviously Chrono Trigger handled time-based repercussions fairly well, but aside from that I can't think of any particularly good ones but I might be having a dry morning.

Link to the Past is still my favorite dimension fuckery game with the mirror mechanics and such.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rascyc posted:

I can think of one or two but I can't think of very many. Obviously Chrono Trigger handled time-based repercussions fairly well, but aside from that I can't think of any particularly good ones but I might be having a dry morning.

Each of Chrono Trigger's story arcs used different rules for time travel, but the story never dwelt on the mechanics of it. At one point it openly violated the only hard-and-fast rule it gave, namely that more than three entities entering a gate would wind up at the End of Time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Yes it does.

:words:
Okay maybe I didn't get far enough in the game to get things explained before I got distracted by a shiny thing. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

Okay maybe I didn't get far enough in the game to get things explained before I got distracted by a shiny thing. :v:

There is nothing wrong with being distracted by shiny things. They're SHINY. :colbert:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes it does.

The premise of the game is that you take one major actor that splits the timeline in two in a giant way. This is the only time this happens. Those two timelines are separate but interconnected. Actions in one influence the actions of the other because the two timelines are trying to become whole again (as they do at the end, in the Unified Timeline), and so the way characters act in one is mirrored by the way they act in another. However, only the holders of the Plot Device can actually alter things, so Stocke's (and the Black Chronicle owner's) actions are the only one to cause these alterations. If Stocke or the BC user isn't making an alteration, the two universes continue onwards trying to match one another as best they can until they unify.

That is why a character who dies in World A is almost certain to die in World B, because both timelines are trying to become one. Likewise, in the case of the Merchant, it is that the Merchant is saved in Universe B and so fate makes sure he is saved in Universe A as well. This is explained in-game. Stocke even abuses it for a lot of the sidequests, like the one where he convinces a soldier to join the army in one dimension because it will make him more likely to do it in the other. As long as Stocke makes a change, the universe makes sure it is mirrored in the other world in some fashion. If Stocke doesn't make a change, the universe just continues onwards until it unifies. (Usually this means everyone is dead.)

It's time-and-dimension fuckery that is constant with the rules that the game sets. They are strange rules but they remain internally constant once they're set. It's not using Chrono Trigger or Back To The Future style time travel. It honestly reminds me more of Quantum Leap than anything else but with dimension fuckery thrown in too.

That makes sense, but to be fair, at the time that I was playing the game it didn't really make that clear to the player, nor did it try to for quite a few hours after that. That's why I quit, that and the whole thing about my ability to use the timeline power to solve quests being really restricted. I recognize that I'm working on incomplete information on the game, I just can't recommend it because I spent so many hours just feeling pulled around and it wasn't fun for me.

quote:

Link to the Past is still my favorite dimension fuckery game with the mirror mechanics and such.

Chrono Trigger and Link to the Past are both good examples, because while they don't really set rules as to what's going to happen, I felt like I was more in control over what I was using my powers of cross-dimensional/time travel to do in the sense of being able to do it any time I wanted to. "Many" might have been a strong word, but I hadn't played a game about cross-world interaction before that frustrated me that much in that way before Radiant Historia. I mean Chrono Cross did but not really for reasons to do with the dimension gimmick.

quote:

Each of Chrono Trigger's story arcs used different rules for time travel, but the story never dwelt on the mechanics of it. At one point it openly violated the only hard-and-fast rule it gave, namely that more than three entities entering a gate would wind up at the End of Time.

A contrived explanation for why you can only have three party members at a time never really bothered me, because when you get to use time travel, your ability to, say, go and affect the personality of the mayor hundreds of years before the present or place the moon stone or let Robo help clear out a forest, it worked for me because these were things that the player initiated, and because of the structure of the game it didn't feel like I was unable to get my character to do something even though it seemed really obvious that they should have been able to within the rules of the game. I realize that Radiant Historia's Groundhog's Day-like way of replaying events is what brings up this problem, but I felt like the developers should have done something to mitigate that feeling. The sword dancing poo poo left a bad taste in my mouth, no pun intended.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 9, 2012

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Rascyc posted:

I can think of one or two but I can't think of very many.
Oracle of Ages.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is the Breath of Fire 3 PSP version avaiable through any PSN store?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Capcom-Unity is currently streaming an English build of Dragon's Dogma.

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

iastudent posted:

Capcom-Unity is currently streaming an English build of Dragon's Dogma.

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity

If you missed it earlier, here's the archive of it.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Uh, wow. That looks... bad. Especially in the context it not having the multiplayer they advertised way back when. I guess that's not too surprising, though, since it's Capcom and all...

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Miijhal posted:

Uh, wow. That looks... bad. Especially in the context it not having the multiplayer they advertised way back when. I guess that's not too surprising, though, since it's Capcom and all...

Where do they mention the multiplayer change in the video? Or was that done elsewhere?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

iastudent posted:

Where do they mention the multiplayer change in the video? Or was that done elsewhere?

Nowgamer.com did an article on it. It's also come up in other articles. You can rent other player's NPCs. That's it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm not seeing what looks bad about it at all, looks pretty drat good to me. The combat system in particular looks REALLY nice, with tons of interactions with enemies. Climbing on big enemies ala Shadow of the Colossus, hanging on flying enemies, throwing normal sized guys... seems like many enemies have lots of specific points you can hit as well.

The open world aspect doesn't look bad from the video either.

I guess the companion voice acting is kinda repetitive but that's not really that big a deal.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Yeah, looks really cool to me too except for the weird slowdown that seems to be somewhat prevalent. Also I think the small pause whenever he hits something is intentional but I don't like it much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks good to me, I was expecting it to be one of those where you can forget it if you're not willing to play co-op. I have no game playing friends. :( (Unless it's CoD.)

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

A couple English trailers for The Last Story went up earlier this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDJk8MkB8hk&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8rf60OEmfQ&hd=1

The character page on the official site has English voice samples as well.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
This is as good a thread as any. I'm looking for an RPG filled with challenging, strategic boss battles. The harder optional hunts in FF12/13 is the kind of thing I am looking for. Beyond that I am pretty open to whatever, throw some suggestions at me please.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne has some pretty hard boss fights, but it's never unfair.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Cityinthesea posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne has some pretty hard boss fights, but it's never unfair.

That is an excellent suggestion but I have played the hell out of everything with the Shin Megami Tensei name in front of it, it is one of my favorite series for exactly this reason. I've lost track of the number of times I've finished Nocturne.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I guess you're looking for turn based only? You might get a kick out of Etrian Odyssey 3. You fight more bosses than random encounters, and there are a bunch of cool/fun ones in it. The post-game bosses are ball-bustingly hard and require you to really plan some of them out.

If you like SMT, it's got a fair number of similarities actually.

(I think EO1/2 and Strange Journey actually run on the same engine but I'm not entirely sure. They share a hilariously broken game mechanic with one another too.)

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I guess you're looking for turn based only? You might get a kick out of Etrian Odyssey 3. You fight more bosses than random encounters, and there are a bunch of cool/fun ones in it. The post-game bosses are ball-bustingly hard and require you to really plan some of them out.

If you like SMT, it's got a fair number of similarities actually.

(I think EO1/2 and Strange Journey actually run on the same engine but I'm not entirely sure. They share a hilariously broken game mechanic with one another too.)

Not sure what made you think I'm looking for turned based only, the examples I gave in my initial post were realtime(ish). I picked up EO3 but put it down really early in, can't remember why. I'll give it another shot.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Viash posted:

Not sure what made you think I'm looking for turned based only, the examples I gave in my initial post were realtime(ish). I picked up EO3 but put it down really early in, can't remember why. I'll give it another shot.

Right, brain fart, I was thinking Menu-Driven VS Action RPG, not Real-Time vs Turn-Based.

EO3 is really great so definitely give it another shot. Just FYI, if you find the game being a bit grindy, what you need is a Hoplite with maxed out Vigilance. Basically eliminates random encounters. You don't need them for the most part anyway, you should be doing about 95% of your fights against bosses, FOEs, or sea battle bosses.

If you're just looking for RPGs with really good boss battles, are you open to Ys games? YsF and Ys7 in particular have GREAT boss battles. Ys7 even has a 3 person party system.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I was curious about the opinions regarding this game. I was considering importing it like I did with Xenoblade (which was so very, very worth it), but I also heard criticisms on it being too short, too easy and lacking in any interesting additional content.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Any recommendations for RPGs that are fun to just veg out and grind to? Looking for something to play while I listen to podcasts and junk, so something low maintenance without a lot of dialog to sift through. Not just looking for any old crap of course, I'd like something that's satisfying to play and has a nice sense of progression (so, roguelikes are out), but besides that I'm easy. Action, turn-based, old, new, doesn't matter so long as I can play it on a mid-range PC. Thanks.~

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Any recommendations for RPGs that are fun to just veg out and grind to? Looking for something to play while I listen to podcasts and junk, so something low maintenance without a lot of dialog to sift through. Not just looking for any old crap of course, I'd like something that's satisfying to play and has a nice sense of progression (so, roguelikes are out), but besides that I'm easy. Action, turn-based, old, new, doesn't matter so long as I can play it on a mid-range PC. Thanks.~

Chrono Cross has a ton of characters to get to max level, and the battles are crazy easy but varied, and the dialogue is completely forgettable. I liked the game and I can't even tell you what happened. Dunno how it emulates though.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

This sounds very much like Torchlight to me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

If you have a DS Dragon Quest IX is my current "mindless grinding while watching TV" game and it's one of the very best I've ever played. If you're PC-only there are a bunch of MMOs to choose from that fit the bill (WoW, EQ2, DCUO, D&D Online) or stuff like Diablo II/Torchlight would probably also work for you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This describes the entire Dragon Quest series almost exactly. However, you'll have to emulate them to play on a PC. I don't know the state of DS emulators, and I don't think a "mid-range" PC could emulate PS2 effectively, so that leaves you with just the first seven to choose from.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Played Torchlight to death, and already tried Chrono Cross and Dragon Quest IX, neither of their combat systems really grabbed me. CC was just weird and DQ has that old-school system of making all your moves at once which just bugs me for some reason (I'm assuming all the prior games are like this?). MMOs aren't really an option right now unless they're sub-free, and I've already tried most of the popular ones. D&D Online could be worth a shot.

DS games would've been an option until recently, but my cat peed on it. Yep.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How about Disgaea? You can spend hundreds of hours grinding all your doods to hundred plus levels.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

MMOs aren't really an option right now unless they're sub-free, and I've already tried most of the popular ones. D&D Online could be worth a shot.

D&D Online, DC Universe Online and Everquest 2 are all varying degrees of "free-to-play". D&D Online is more like a very large trial, you can grind about ten levels (level 20 is the cap) on free content before it starts getting a little thin. DC Universe Online you can play all the way to the cap and beyond as a free player, although a small purchase on the store (I believe $5+) doubles your inventory and gives some other nice perks.

Everquest 2 I've not played since they made it F2P so I really can't comment on that. It was fun back when it was subscription only.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Playing ChronoTrigger for the first time. Having a lot of fun with it, aside from enemies respawning when you leave the room and sometimes re-triggering triggered events because I don't know where to go but I guess thats expected from 1995. The writing in this game is so funny. "GEE CHRONO SHOULD WE KILL LAVOS AND SAVE THE WORLD?" *yes* "WOW CHRONO U SURE R BRAVE". Combat is boring though its just like choose attack and watch numbers so you know when to heal. Cool story though and I figured its one of the classics so why not.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Combat is boring though its just like choose attack and watch numbers so you know when to heal. Cool story though and I figured its one of the classics so why not.

If you're more than two hours into the game, you're doing this wrong. Use techs! Use dual techs! Watch the positioning! All bosses and some enemies have a gimmick that makes beating them easy and/or actually possible, pay some attention to the battles rather than mashing dat a button.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Thanks for the tips but I got it under control. Packed area? AoE techs. Ghost etheral units? Use a tech. Party is weak? Dual Tech for multiple heals. Idunno man it really isn't that complicated but I'm not playing the game for the combat so it's all good. Also, especially with the amount of ethers you find I havent found any of the combat challenging I can heal every turn and no units really pose a huge threat. The real challenge of this game is figuring out where the door is at when the tile-set runs together. Or figuring out the lovely puzzles they attempt to execute on a SNES.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chrono Trigger is definitely piss easy. This partly why I could not watch the Giant Bomb Endurance Run, because because watching a group of "professional" gamers constantly dying in Chrono Trigger is possibly the most pathetic thing I've ever seen in a video game.

The main cool thing about Techs is the combinations, since literally every one of the six main party members can combine with any other party member, leading to lots of fun and sometimes strange attacks. It also allows people to craft their own ideal party setups (Crono/Frog/Ayla, yo) as they see fit.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Chrono/Magus/Frog is the only party what are you on about :colbert:

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

MMOs aren't really an option right now unless they're sub-free, and I've already tried most of the popular ones. D&D Online could be worth a shot.

Have you tried lotro? Its a nicely actualized version of middle-earth with a huge amount of free content. A lot of the classes are fairly unstandard takes on mmo tropes which keeps it interesting and almost the entire game up until end game content can be done single player. You can grind in game acheivements for points to buy poo poo in the game store. past moria you can grind out experience for your weapons and level them up. I played it a lot after I thought I was totally done with MMOs and only really quit because my personal life just didnt allow for being sucked into an MMO anymore and I found myself just playing it instead of newer games that I wanted to try

(Marle, Chrono, Ayla is the best party Final kick destroys everything)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Chrono Trigger is definitely piss easy. This partly why I could not watch the Giant Bomb Endurance Run, because because watching a group of "professional" gamers constantly dying in Chrono Trigger is possibly the most pathetic thing I've ever seen in a video game.

Professional in the sense that they make money off of it, yes. But do you have to be good at Video Games to write/make videos about them? They're entertaining and that's what matters.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
So... I know this is rather random but it is vaguely relevant to the thread. I found this pic off of 4chan after someone there dug it out of their personal archives. Reverse GIS and Tineye don't reveal anything useful and the person who saved the pic has no idea about its origins. It looks like something off a Photoshop Phriday but I can't seem to find anything about it.

The picture's about Barkley, Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden in case anyone hasn't played that.

And as far as bad gaming being entertaining, see: GameCenter CX. "Professional" really just means you get paid for something, not necessarily that you're good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Playing ChronoTrigger for the first time. Having a lot of fun with it, aside from enemies respawning when you leave the room

But this happens in modern games hailed for their encounter design like FF12 and 13 :confused: