Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

after nearly a year of subscribing to WO/F4W, the personal stuff in the Bryan and Vinny podcasts are probably my favorite. I can see how people would find that annoying, but I like the personal aspects of some of the shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

after nearly a year of subscribing to WO/F4W, the personal stuff in the Bryan and Vinny podcasts are probably my favorite. I can see how people would find that annoying, but I like the personal aspects of some of the shows.

Honestly if it was like a quick hit 30 second bit about something amusing his cat did that was actually amusing stuff that cats do it'd be great and would indeed add a personal touch to the podcast but I've seriously fast forwarded through 18-20 minute cat stories. That's just crazy. I don't mind the granny segments that much because they seem to be spaced out just enough not to become annoying. Those drag too most times. It's like Alvarez has no concept of storytelling in that he can't be bothered to cut out all the mundane details that add nothing and get to the point.

Vinny is awesome though so I can't hate on him. I don't mind the Mike guy that does podcasts with Alvarez either. Both of them are more fun to listen to than the main host, though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Hey! Who wants to hear a podcast with Icarus?

http://grizzlyproductions.tv/my-breakfast-with-chikara/2012/2/12/02-my-breakfast-with-icarus.html

Probably not many.

Icarus talks:
Tea
Gen 1 Originals
Mike Quackenbush rubbing off on Icarus

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 12, 2012

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

triplexpac posted:

That podcast with Dave & Lance "debating" the Nick Diaz controversy and drugs in UFC sure was a waste of time haha. I did love Bryan explaining how cops would learn how to combat people who were on drugs, and Dave interjecting that that is most likely people on PCP, not weed.

I figured as much. Thanks for confirming my fears so I don't have to listen to it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's actually one of the lesser wastes of time, considering it's a Lance podcast. Lance doesn't say anything particularly stupid, and it's mostly Dave explaining his positions.

But in awesome news

:siren: :woop: :mexico: KONNAN WILL BE BACK ON IN THE NEXT FORTNIGHT :mexico: :woop: :siren:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

triplexpac posted:

That podcast with Dave & Lance "debating" the Nick Diaz controversy and drugs in UFC sure was a waste of time haha. I did love Bryan explaining how cops would learn how to combat people who were on drugs, and Dave interjecting that that is most likely people on PCP, not weed.

Akileese posted:

I figured as much. Thanks for confirming my fears so I don't have to listen to it.

That show was goddamn awful. I understand being anti-drug. But claiming Nick Diaz could smoke weed and become this super fighter who is impervious to pain was frustrating to listening to. Same with Alvarez, if you've never done weed then don't make up all this bullshit about how it affects you.

And yeah, all you need to know is Bryan Alvarez recalled a self defense teacher telling them that if an attacker is high most of the techniques wouldn't work and he thought that meant someone on pot and you have an understanding of the conversation. It's that loving bad, these two guys (Bryan and Lance) came across as two dense individuals.

I understand and agree with Lance's point that there are rules, and rules were broken so punishment is deserved. But the arguments they made against pot were increasingly disingenuous and even retarded.

For the record I don't think pot should be on the banned substance list.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Lance is still like, in the business right? Of course he's not gonna say 'oh yea, pot rules' or something.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

God dammit. The breaking news audio of Russo getting fired is just a redirect loop.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Glitterbomber posted:

Lance is still like, in the business right? Of course he's not gonna say 'oh yea, pot rules' or something.
He did criticize Bourne over continuing to do Spice even after it was placed on Wellness' banned list instead of just smoking weed (and paying the fine) by pointing out it's never worth jeopardizing your career over something you do recreationally. So if anything, he's not a fan of anyone being undisciplined enough to do it and not have it affect their work

Not to mention that it ended up screwing Kofi by extention, which Storm compared to how he and Regal lost their tag titles after Regal's suspension and both missed a Wrestlemania pay day as a result.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 13, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Glitterbomber posted:

He runs a school and occasionally wrestles, but he'd hate all drug use whether or not he was linked to the business.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

After giving LAW a try it's far better to me personally than F4W's podcasts. The guys on LAW aren't nearly as terrible as Alvarez and Meltzer and when Meltzer makes appearances on LAW he doesn't seem to use "like" and "ya know" ten billion times.

I don't mind Alvarez's sidekicks on his shows but goddamn I can only hear so many stupid stories about your cat. And I'm saying that as a person that doesn't mind cats.

I hear you. What you get for free from LAW/Review-a-Wai/Raw/Impact is more than enough wrestlechat for me. I'm still going to buy a month of the Observer around March 1 for the Mania stuff but I can't see myself paying to hear Alvarez screech about nonsense like that on an ongoing basis. The free shows are more than enough and Meltzer is on the LAW every week anyway.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The LAW really needs to scrap Title Bout Trivia and come up with a better contest segment. Jason Agnew no longer puts any effort into coming up with interesting questions and treats the segment like time-killing filler, which makes it all the more annoying when he throws his hissy fits over wrong answers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I can't wait for Konnan to ask Bryan more questions.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's a testament to how good the other people on the site are that I keep subscribing in spite of Alvarez. Meltzer, Todd, Vinny, Adam & Mike, Alan4L/Justin/Eamo - hell, even Dr Lucha is entertaining to listen to on a bi-weekly basis. I let my subscription lapse from time to time and it's always due to being fed up with Bryan. I mean goddamn.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It took me a while to warm up to him, but Karl Stern owns.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

I can't wait for Konnan to ask Bryan more questions.

Wait, what? I hope you're being serious. Listening to Konnan annoy Bryan is worth a subscription to me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

Wait, what? I hope you're being serious. Listening to Konnan annoy Bryan is worth a subscription to me.

On most of his interviews Konnan demands to ask Bryan questions, so yes I am serious. The best cases of this are with Bryan and Dave where Konnan makes sure Bryan answers first.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I like how the earliest pages of this thread has everybody talking about how much they love Alvarez and now everybody hates him.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Cardboard Box posted:

I like how the earliest pages of this thread has everybody talking about how much they love Alvarez and now everybody hates him.

When someone is in self defense class and the instructor says, "Keep in mind a lot of these techniques will not work if the attacker is high" and he thinks the guy is talking about pot you are about as dense as it gets. I still listen to his shows and I don't think everything he says is bullshit but as soon as he says, "It's like..." I just shut my brain off for the next 30 seconds because his analogies are always wrong.

And I know Dave stepped in to correct him about the guy meaning PCP or Meth but he should have slammed him for being such a nitwit.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

I still like Bryan, I just like when Konnan tries to make him look bad. He does annoy me when he talks about MMA because for someone who has followed it for so long and does grappling... he's just wrong about so many aspects of it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Christ, I can't take the LAW Review-A-Raws any more. Between their constant negativity, or them going off on tangents about the littlest poo poo that has nothing to do with anything...ugh. It's like they're riffing the shows instead of reviewing/analyzing them. I feel like I'm just listening to smarks being snarky as opposed to educated fans intelligently discussing the product.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Require More Fire posted:

Christ, I can't take the LAW Review-A-Raws any more. Between their constant negativity, or them going off on tangents about the littlest poo poo that has nothing to do with anything...ugh. It's like they're riffing the shows instead of reviewing/analyzing them. I feel like I'm just listening to smarks being snarky as opposed to educated fans intelligently discussing the product.

This really only seems to happen when the show is especially bad or boring, like this week, but their Review A Wai show is where they really shine. I agree though, they always sound kind of exhausted and burnt out for Raw.

And I haven't found a wrestling podcast yet where they don't go out on wild, unrelated tangents.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Cardboard Box posted:

I still like Alvarez as much as I ever have, I just don't want to be constantly praising him in the thread.

Really though, I'm sure you can get a good amount of quality, free wrestling podcasts out there. I've just been an Observer subscriber for so many years that it's become a part of my daily routine, I like it that way.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Yeah Alvarez is cool but Konnan asking him questions is always hilarious.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

triplexpac posted:

I still like Alvarez as much as I ever have, I just don't want to be constantly praising him in the thread.

Really though, I'm sure you can get a good amount of quality, free wrestling podcasts out there. I've just been an Observer subscriber for so many years that it's become a part of my daily routine, I like it that way.

I'm kinda like this as well, I listen to less and less stuff from the site but can't imagine not having at least the B&V and Lance Storm shows to listen to. I just wish I could go to the site occasionally and not feel like the primary focus has completely shifted from wrestling to MMA. Thank the wrestling gods for Lance's MMA boycott and Vinny's complete disinterest.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Just listen to DKP. :frogc00l:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I love DKP when they talk about WWE. Personally I don't really care about the indy scene all that much, so I tune out of those shows.

The Road to Wrestlemania DKP is always fun though.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
DKP (and before the the Dr Keith Show) is always best when they just sit down and talk about the past. Stuff like Naylor/Alan/Keith discussing their favourite Fat Men of the nineties.

I miss Naylor :(

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

I've consistently disliked Alvarez since the first time I heard his whiney voice ramble on for 20 minutes about his dumb cats and that was like one of the very first radio shows of his I heard. I thought "hey the guy probably got a new cat and it's a one time thing because no moron could possibly think people would want to hear about his cat for almost a half hour in like every other show" yet here we are. He just screams "Wasn't good at wrestling so he decided to become a critic" to me instead of how Meltzer seems like a genuine fan that enjoys talking about it whether good or bad.

Then once I noticed Meltzer repeating like and ya know every three seconds in almost a stutter it was all over for Observer Radio for me. Now I just listen to LAW or wait for someone to post the important bits Meltzer reveals on Observer Radio. Alvarez is legit the worst part of f4w to me.

Lots of people seem to like him though so to each their own and all that.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Mr. Carlisle posted:

He just screams "Wasn't good at wrestling so he decided to become a critic" to me instead of how Meltzer seems like a genuine fan that enjoys talking about it whether good or bad.

Not that this invalidates your opinion by any means, as even I found Bryan annoying at least once a show, but he is actually a very good wrestler.

My biggest reason for dropping my subscription was lack of interest in WWE or TNA, which dominates the wrestling talk, but a small part of the decision was due to Bryan's loving imbecilic analogies, coupled with Dave's inability to have a normal conversation. It was still worth the money when I subscribed, though, but I got tired of it.

And I like Alan of the DKP but he really needs to work on his on air presence.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I've seen only a handful of Alvarez matches, and he's not bad. He doesn't have an imposing physique, but for what he was doing (midcard-level matches maybe once a month for his local indy fed) he was good.

As for cat talk, it is a little annoying, but on one level I completely understand. Our family has two cats, and any conversation we have with other cat owners involves about 40 minutes of back-and-forth "guess what OUR CATS did" stories. A supposed wrestling podcast isn't the best place for those stories, but sometimes it's good to break up the humdrum.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I can imagine Alvarez being a great manager with that voice. Like a male Vickie.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Also cat and granny are strictly on the B&V show which is supposed to just be Bryan and Vinny shooting the poo poo and sometimes discussing wrestling.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

Also cat and granny are strictly on the B&V show which is supposed to just be Bryan and Vinny shooting the poo poo and sometimes discussing wrestling.

Also true. I think the best thing Bryan and Vinny ever do is review old bad wrestling, but I'm sure that gets tiring every week.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Lloyd Boner posted:

Yeah, the worst thing was when the B&V show seriously broke down the wrestling shows, right after Bryan & Dave finished doing the same thing. It was so redundant and a waste of time.

At least this is original content and a waste of time :D

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I troll Bryan all the time but I would never call him a bad wrestler. I've only seen clips of the Alvarez/Traylor McNaylor hour match but that was really good. Same thing with his Chikara Sweeney match.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I whoop for joy whenever I hear a story about Bryan's cats coming up. I love hearing him talking about the crazy poo poo they do, some of the stuff when he first got Snorki and Gracie was hilarious.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah, I enjoy the cat stories too. It pretty much depends on how much you like cats I guess.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Cardboard Box posted:

Yeah, I enjoy the cat stories too. It pretty much depends on how much you like cats I guess.

I'm into cats, but drat if those stories weren't hit and miss....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Well yeah, not all of them are great, but I've gotten a real kick out of a few, like the one where Snorki got sucked between two upright mattresses against a wall.

• Locked thread