Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So when it comes to porting a number, how big of a pain in the rear end is it to port a number that has an area code from a different city? I've got a boston area code but I live in New York - can I just get the number moved with no problems, or will I have to list my parent's address in Boston when I go into a store in NY and then go in and change it the next day online, or will I actually have to make a trip to Boston to get the number moved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evilweasel posted:

So when it comes to porting a number, how big of a pain in the rear end is it to port a number that has an area code from a different city? I've got a boston area code but I live in New York - can I just get the number moved with no problems, or will I have to list my parent's address in Boston when I go into a store in NY and then go in and change it the next day online, or will I actually have to make a trip to Boston to get the number moved?

Zero hassle. You should be able to do it all over the phone if you're buying from somewhere like Amazon Wireless, too. I imagine if anything it will be easier if you're buying from a Verizon store, but I may be overestimating the capabilities of typical reps. Porting a number from AZ to CT was as simple as calling a number given to me by Amazon Wireless when the new phone arrived.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ciabatta posted:

Zero hassle. You should be able to do it all over the phone if you're buying from somewhere like Amazon Wireless, too. I imagine if anything it will be easier if you're buying from a Verizon store, but I may be overestimating the capabilities of typical reps. Porting a number from AZ to CT was as simple as calling a number given to me by Amazon Wireless when the new phone arrived.

Ahh sweet, there's all this nonsense about being able to only port a number in the same local area whenever you look for info on moving a number (even through Amazon). I imagine national carriers just ignore that at this point?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

evilweasel posted:

Ahh sweet, there's all this nonsense about being able to only port a number in the same local area whenever you look for info on moving a number (even through Amazon). I imagine national carriers just ignore that at this point?

Here's what I found on Amazon. Do make sure to check that you want to keep your number when you're placing the order. They make you put in the necessary carrier-specific stuff like phone number, billing or account password, etc., so that all you should have to do is call them when the phone comes and they'll flip the switch to make it happen! It really was pleasantly hassle-free for something that I expected to be a pain.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ciabatta posted:

Here's what I found on Amazon. Do make sure to check that you want to keep your number when you're placing the order. They make you put in the necessary carrier-specific stuff like phone number, billing or account password, etc., so that all you should have to do is call them when the phone comes and they'll flip the switch to make it happen! It really was pleasantly hassle-free for something that I expected to be a pain.

This is great thanks.

Any idea why Amazon has only limited plans available? It insists on you going with no texts or unlimited texts, and has no 6gb+mobile hotspot option.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Can I switch my individual plan to family and keep unlimited data? Was that ever an option?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Cozmosis posted:

Can I switch my individual plan to family and keep unlimited data? Was that ever an option?

Yes. I did it a few months ago.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
Well I got my hands on the D4, and firstly I love this phone so far. It's way faster/snappier than the D2G ever was. (But I guess that goes without saying.)

I took at look at the SIM settings, and it looks like the thing comes unlocked out of the box. However I may just be misinterpreting it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I think that's for the LTE SIM that it comes with, actually. I could be entirely wrong, though.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I'm going to leave this for you without comment.

http://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

It's the Motorola ICS upgrade calendar.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

pbpancho posted:

I'm going to leave this for you without comment.

http://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

It's the Motorola ICS upgrade calendar.

Almost every relevant device (Razr, Razr MAXXXXXXX, Droid 3, 4, Bionic, whatever) says further evaluation to follow. poo poo means nothing.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Bob A Feet posted:

Almost every relevant device (Razr, Razr MAXXXXXXX, Droid 3, 4, Bionic, whatever) says further evaluation to follow. poo poo means nothing.

I think that's the point.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Jake Gittes posted:

I think that's the point.

Oh, yeah....so buy a galaxy nexus!!!!!!!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It seems obvious from that list that Motorola isn't going to comment on time lines that are ultimately up to Verizon to approve.

GEDs aren't exempt either. See 4.0.4 update and Xoom LTE.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Does Verizon charge you an activation fee for a contract upgrade/extension? I noticed on Amazon Wireless that they are offering a deal where they waive the activation fee if you purchase a new smartphone. Just wondering, thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Does Verizon charge you an activation fee for a contract upgrade/extension? I noticed on Amazon Wireless that they are offering a deal where they waive the activation fee if you purchase a new smartphone. Just wondering, thanks.

Last I checked upgrade fees on Verizon are $18. Sprint and ATT have moved to $36 fees, so I would expect Verizon to follow suit, but I don't think they have yet.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Last I checked upgrade fees on Verizon are $18. Sprint and ATT have moved to $36 fees, so I would expect Verizon to follow suit, but I don't think they have yet.

$25/phone from amazon for activation, back when I did that penny phone deal to get a verizon phone. That was on a new contract on existing line, even.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

notwithoutmyanus posted:

$25/phone from amazon for activation, back when I did that penny phone deal to get a verizon phone. That was on a new contract on existing line, even.

I got charged $35 for activation, which got removed because corporate discount.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'll probably be waiting anyway as there's not really anything good other than the Nexus and I'm sure as hell not buying a Samsung Android phone.
Decided to just get a drat Nexus. I called the store and they have them in stock. I was just going to drive up there and buy one, but I figured I'd ask you guys if there's anything I can do to get it cheaper or get free stuff like an extended battery.

e: I am a current Verizon customer and I received a text from them that says I'm eligible for an upgrade. If I log on to their site under my account and look at phones it shows the Galaxy Nexus available to me for $300.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 15, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't have any sort of special account or standing with Verizon, but they've always waived the activation fee for me. Damned if I know why.

My opinion of the whole "activation fee" is basically "gently caress off."

I'm not going to pay you for the "privilege" of binding myself financially to you for the next two years.

Either make the phones $35 more expensive or shut up and eat it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 15, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Decided to just get a drat Nexus. I called the store and they have them in stock. I was just going to drive up there and buy one, but I figured I'd ask you guys if there's anything I can do to get it cheaper or get free stuff like an extended battery.

e: I am a current Verizon customer and I received a text from them that says I'm eligible for an upgrade. If I log on to their site under my account and look at phones it shows the Galaxy Nexus available to me for $300.

Amazon Wireless has the GNex for only $230 on a line upgrade. The catch is that if it's an early upgrade, Amazon's system won't be able to see it, but if this is your 20-month upgrade, you should be able to get it there without a problem. Also, depending on your job (or the job of the account owner), you might be able to get a discount on both the phone and service.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Amazon Wireless has the GNex for only $230 on a line upgrade. The catch is that if it's an early upgrade, Amazon's system won't be able to see it, but if this is your 20-month upgrade, you should be able to get it there without a problem. Also, depending on your job (or the job of the account owner), you might be able to get a discount on both the phone and service.

I guess it's an early upgrade? Here's the stuff they sent me:

I'm the only person on my account and I'm 99% sure my job as a "web developer" isn't going to do anything for me.

I have one more question. If I upgrade my device now with a 2-year contract, will the new contract be over sooner than if I wait a month and do it, or do they have some kind of math that goes on behind the scenes to decide when I can get a new device based on how much I've paid them and how much they've subsidized my phones?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I got mine at Costco for $220 and they have a mail in rebate for a free extended battery/cover. Cheapest I saw.

JerleMinara
Jan 22, 2011
I would strongly encourage GNex buyers to get their phone from Costco. There's a bad batch out there that has a hardware flaw that causes the phone's modem to crash if you're on 4G. It'll blow out and drop voice/data entirely and have to reboot (takes 30 seconds) and it's totally random.

Costco's basically the best return policy you can find for a mobile phone, and I know a guy who's had to trade in like 3-4 of them just to get one that doesn't have issues. vOv

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

JerleMinara posted:

I would strongly encourage GNex buyers to get their phone from Costco. There's a bad batch out there that has a hardware flaw that causes the phone's modem to crash if you're on 4G. It'll blow out and drop voice/data entirely and have to reboot (takes 30 seconds) and it's totally random.

Costco's basically the best return policy you can find for a mobile phone, and I know a guy who's had to trade in like 3-4 of them just to get one that doesn't have issues. vOv

I would, but there's none in my state.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JerleMinara posted:

I'm not sure it's a hardware flaw.

Mine was doing exactly that and was 100% resolved by upgrading to the leaked 4.0.4. I have zero cell issues now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

I guess it's an early upgrade? Here's the stuff they sent me:

I'm the only person on my account and I'm 99% sure my job as a "web developer" isn't going to do anything for me.

I have one more question. If I upgrade my device now with a 2-year contract, will the new contract be over sooner than if I wait a month and do it, or do they have some kind of math that goes on behind the scenes to decide when I can get a new device based on how much I've paid them and how much they've subsidized my phones?

Your contract resets. So if you upgrade now you can upgrade again in 20 months or end your service in 24 without paying an ETF.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Your contract resets. So if you upgrade now you can upgrade again in 20 months or end your service in 24 without paying an ETF.

Thanks! This means it's best to get it as soon as possible assuming there's a worthwhile device. Gonna go bite the bullet right now.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Does Verizon charge you an activation fee for a contract upgrade/extension?
No. Activation fee is for new lines. There is no upgrade fee.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ok, this isn't exactly related to Verizon Wireless but this seemed like the place to ask, how the gently caress do I register for a myVerizon account? I initially set up an account when I ordered TV and internet service, and it sent me an email asking me to verify my email address. When I click the link it tells me "this tool is currently unavailable." (It's always unavailable). When I try to log in with the user/pass I set up, it tells me I don't match their records. If I try to use "forgot user/pass" it asks me for an account number, which I do not have, because apparently you only get this on your bill and I don't have a bill yet, and can't log in to check my online statements!

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Elysium posted:

Ok, this isn't exactly related to Verizon Wireless but this seemed like the place to ask, how the gently caress do I register for a myVerizon account? I initially set up an account when I ordered TV and internet service, and it sent me an email asking me to verify my email address. When I click the link it tells me "this tool is currently unavailable." (It's always unavailable). When I try to log in with the user/pass I set up, it tells me I don't match their records. If I try to use "forgot user/pass" it asks me for an account number, which I do not have, because apparently you only get this on your bill and I don't have a bill yet, and can't log in to check my online statements!

Call their CS? It should have been a straightforward process.

JerleMinara
Jan 22, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure it's a hardware flaw.

Mine was doing exactly that and was 100% resolved by upgrading to the leaked 4.0.4. I have zero cell issues now.

I upgraded to 4.0.4 the moment it came out and so on. I tried all the radios, lots of roms and configs and so on.

For some it's definitely a hardware flaw.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
Those with 3G network extenders: is your system light slowly blinking red? I tried connecting it straight to my cable modem and get the same indication. All other lights are blue (good).

*Edit* After many resets and waiting a while, the light finally came up on its own.

ForkPat fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 16, 2012

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Missed out on the double data offer last time and I'm hoping my tax refund comes back before it ends so I can get a new phone. The IRS website shows that I was supposed to have it back by Tuesday, but it still isn't even pending in my account.

That being said, I have a couple of days to look phones over again. I'm having trouble deciding between the Droid 4, Razr Maxx, and the Gnex. The Droid 4 has a physical keyboard, but the Razr Maxx has that bitchin battery and the Gnex has an amazing screen on top of not having to wait until 4.0. Has the 4.0.4 update on the Gnex really resolved battery issues? I'm not even in an LTE network so it will be operating as a CDMA only phone for a few months. The only two things keeping me from pulling the trigger are the battery issues and the sub-par camera. Thoughts?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bloodplay it again posted:

Missed out on the double data offer last time and I'm hoping my tax refund comes back before it ends so I can get a new phone. The IRS website shows that I was supposed to have it back by Tuesday, but it still isn't even pending in my account.

That being said, I have a couple of days to look phones over again. I'm having trouble deciding between the Droid 4, Razr Maxx, and the Gnex. The Droid 4 has a physical keyboard, but the Razr Maxx has that bitchin battery and the Gnex has an amazing screen on top of not having to wait until 4.0. Has the 4.0.4 update on the Gnex really resolved battery issues? I'm not even in an LTE network so it will be operating as a CDMA only phone for a few months. The only two things keeping me from pulling the trigger are the battery issues and the sub-par camera. Thoughts?

4.0.4 hasn't been pushed by Verizon yet so who knows

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Dickeye posted:

4.0.4 hasn't been pushed by Verizon yet so who knows

Doesn't mean you can't install it. I did it first thing because of bull's recommendation and haven't had any issues yet.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
People are getting great battery life on the latest CM9 4.0.3 build.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
where can one source a MAXX battery and back cover. As suspected, and as someone proved, swapping those two things on a 'normal' razr works just fine.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Roundboy posted:

where can one source a MAXX battery and back cover. As suspected, and as someone proved, swapping those two things on a 'normal' razr works just fine.

Might be slightly difficult since they aren't supposed to be user removable, I would probably check eBay after a couple of weeks. I honestly have no clue though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I live rather far away from the nearest Costco and the guys at the wireless kiosk never answer their phone - has anyone seen the Droid 4 for sale at Costco yet?

• Locked thread