Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Anyone know a good classic Mustang mechanic in the Seattle area? Specifically one that would be good for a pre-purchase inspection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I've had good experiences with Brad's Custom Auto, but I don't remember seeing anything older than a Fox body down there. You could call and see if they've got someone experienced with classic Mustangs. I know Brad has a 69 Falcon and a 67 Fairlane, so it seems plausible that they could know what to look for.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Not My Leg posted:

Anyone know a good classic Mustang mechanic in the Seattle area? Specifically one that would be good for a pre-purchase inspection.

I live in Portland now, though it will probably take me at least a few years to complete an inspection, heh. :)

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl

PT6A posted:

Yep, me too. It's surprisingly good in the winter, all things considered.

While I'm not doubting that it is, it might be wise to put something that nice away for the winter, due to the rust issues associated with the season.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

leyton house posted:

While I'm not doubting that it is, it might be wise to put something that nice away for the winter, due to the rust issues associated with the season.

While this might've been true 20 years ago, you'll have a hard time convincing me that the really important parts of the car will have any issue with Rust. Yes things will rust but we're not back in 1980 anymore. If you were going to drive it anyways, driving it in the winter isn't a big deal.

Although keeping it clean is definitely a must.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

leyton house posted:

If this were Quebec, maybe, but because of the chinook winds, we don't use nearly as much salt and roads are clear and dry most of the time anyway. Besides, I live in an apartment building with a shared garage; people track in so much poo poo on their cars that it gets filthy after a week of sitting anyway.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PT6A posted:

If this were Quebec, maybe, but because of the chinook winds, we don't use nearly as much salt and roads are clear and dry most of the time anyway. Besides, I live in an apartment building with a shared garage; people track in so much poo poo on their cars that it gets filthy after a week of sitting anyway.

Mustangs (not the GT500) will leak diff oil out of the breather in the diff housing when driven hard. Keeps your underbody well lubricated and free of rust!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Certainly helps keep the track from getting too grippy, too :v:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Got my quarterly bonus and wanted to fix the massive wheel gap. I assume this is a pretty good setup:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12198

Anything else I should look at? Where is the best price to get this from?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

Got my quarterly bonus and wanted to fix the massive wheel gap. I assume this is a pretty good setup:

Isn't one supposed to get an adjustable panhard rod after a certain amount of drop?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

Isn't one supposed to get an adjustable panhard rod after a certain amount of drop?

1" is the absolute bare minimum drop I've seen and about all I'd want. I've seen others at 1.5", maybe that needs the rod?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

1" is the absolute bare minimum drop I've seen and about all I'd want. I've seen others at 1.5", maybe that needs the rod?

You want an adjustable panhard rod with any drop as the factory panhard rod will kick the rear axle out to one side once you start changing ride height from stock.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

frozenphil posted:

You want an adjustable panhard rod with any drop as the factory panhard rod will kick the rear axle out to one side once you start changing ride height from stock.

Any suggestions for one? Anything else recommended for that kit?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

Any suggestions for one? Anything else recommended for that kit?

I'm not up on the latest stuff, but if you want to stay with Ford parts it's here.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Comrade Flynn posted:

If you get that kit let us(me) know how it works out.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

Mustangs (not the GT500) will leak diff oil out of the breather in the diff housing when driven hard. Keeps your underbody well lubricated and free of rust!

The Camaro pocket book killer version offers a diff cooler. It that just a heat sink diff cover?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Elephanthead posted:

The Camaro pocket book killer version offers a diff cooler. It that just a heat sink diff cover?

The Shelby has a heat sink diff cover and the ZL1 has a seperate diff cooler, so...yes?

That's what GM claims anyway, the ZL1 isn't actually out yet so really who knows.

EDIT: It looks like Ford will also add a diff cooler on the 2013 Shelby.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 15, 2012

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
If you guys could get a 2002 roush 360R with the stage 3 kit for $15k would you do it? it has 33,000 miles.

Just how good is the stage 3 in terms of handling? I am actually not that crazy about the looks of the 360R, the racing stripes attract a bit too much attention, all i care about is the supercharger and total rework of the suspension.

edit: also the guy is accepting offers so im sure i could offer 14k in cash/check right now and he would probably take it

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 18, 2012

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

coolskillrex remix posted:

If you guys could get a 2002 roush 360R with the stage 3 kit for $15k would you do it? it has 33,000 miles.

Just how good is the stage 3 in terms of handling? I am actually not that crazy about the looks of the 360R, the racing stripes attract a bit too much attention, all i care about is the supercharger and total rework of the suspension.

edit: also the guy is accepting offers so im sure i could offer 14k in cash/check right now and he would probably take it

You can find a regular GT with a full suspension and a supercharger for around $10k if the Roush name doesn't mean anything to you. Check different mustang forums' classified sections.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

No, I'd get a 2003-2004 Cobra. Because those things are nuts.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Comrade Flynn posted:

No, I'd get a 2003-2004 Cobra. Because those things are nuts.

Termis are nice but extremely overpriced. one with 33,000 miles would probably sell for $21-$22k easily, people have stupid boners over them. Their interior is still a New Edge interior which is one of the worst interiors ive ever seen (for reference i own a 99 GT so i have to live with it every day, im not just hating). Why people dont spend the extra money and just get a GT premium ill never understand.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Termis are nice but extremely overpriced. one with 33,000 miles would probably sell for $21-$22k easily, people have stupid boners over them. Their interior is still a New Edge interior which is one of the worst interiors ive ever seen (for reference i own a 99 GT so i have to live with it every day, im not just hating). Why people dont spend the extra money and just get a GT premium ill never understand.

Oh, wow. I thought their pricing had come back down to earth. Considering I just paid $26k for a 2012 GT Premium, paying $22k for a Terminator is insanity.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

You can find a regular GT with a full suspension and a supercharger for around $10k if the Roush name doesn't mean anything to you. Check different mustang forums' classified sections.

I guess bay area craigslist sucks, because i browse it a lot and you will never see a mustang gt with supercharger and full suspension for $10k, let alone one with 33,000 miles.

Then i look at svtperformance and within a minute see this

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/mustangs-buy-sell-348/771291-fs-2000-mustang-gt-turbo-meth-etc-575rwhp.html

Starting to wonder why i even look at craigslist...

I already have a bunch of stereo parts, $12,500 is nothing and hes only 2 hours away. Im just afraid of that engine blowing the gently caress up. I do not work on engines at all. I installed my CAI on my current mustang and thats about the extent of my abilities. I want something reliable, thats why i just want one with a bolt on supercharger installed (no fuel injectors, no radiator, those to me just indicate more maintenance down the road)

Feel free to tell me my concerns are false ones though and that a 650hp turbo beast is reliable as my 99GT with 74k miles :smith:

edit: haha, nevermind, gently caress, just realized this is a crate motor and the way he has it setup it will never pass smog. I really dont want to deal with that poo poo either.

Besides that turbo setup above im having trouble finding ANYTHING in california on forums, let alone stuff that even remotely fits my criteria. Another problem is everyone seems to build the poo poo out of their car, i dont need a bajillion horse power, ive driven a kenne bell 6psi setup and 366hp is hard enough to put down as is.

So yeah you probably can find the car i want for $10k in other states, but in california, probably not.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 19, 2012

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

But man, it's got IRS! *ignores that the IRS is compromised and lackluster because it was designed to bolt into the back of a 79 Fairmont Futura*

Yeah, the used Cobra market is just silly because of that and the fact that a surprising number of SVT diehards seem to be butthurt about the GT500 not being called the SVT Cobra.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Q_res posted:

But man, it's got IRS! *ignores that the IRS is compromised and lackluster because it was designed to bolt into the back of a 79 Fairmont Futura*

Yeah, the used Cobra market is just silly because of that and the fact that a surprising number of SVT diehards seem to be butthurt about the GT500 not being called the SVT Cobra.

Most people in the IRS Cobra world put a FullTiltBoogieRacing bushings kit(a kit designed and built by a former Ford engineer with 30 years of experience that also races a 2000 Cobra R at Road America very frequently)that fixes the issues caused by the rubber bushings in the IRS system. You can typically find terminators in the range of 14-22k. Anything on that high end or above are typically very well cared for low mile cars or crazy built up cars with either large kenne bells or turbo swaps.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

im having trouble finding ANYTHING in california

Yeah, you're not going to find what you want and still be CARB legal.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, you're not going to find what you want and still be CARB legal.

Kenne bell, procharger, roush, theyre all carb legal. Not sure what you mean. Its when you get new cams, long tube headers, or delete cats, that it becomes not carb legal. None of which "kills" the performance of an engine.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Kenne bell, procharger, roush, theyre all carb legal. Not sure what you mean. Its when you get new cams, long tube headers, or delete cats, that it becomes not carb legal. None of which "kills" the performance of an engine.

They all have CARB legal kits, but those are rare as rocking horse poo poo because they typically cost more without making as much power as other kits they offer. Most people putting a power adder on a car don't keep everything CARB legal even if the power adder they get is.

Your best bet would be to look for a car owned by an old guy with the Edelbrock supercharger on it.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

They all have CARB legal kits, but those are rare as rocking horse poo poo because they typically cost more without making as much power as other kits they offer. Most people putting a power adder on a car don't keep everything CARB legal even if the power adder they get is.

Your best bet would be to look for a car owned by an old guy with the Edelbrock supercharger on it.

Where are you reading this?

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/SC_pg/Mustang%204.6%20%2896-04%29/layouts/mustang4.6%2896-04%29.htm

6 psi is 6 psi no matter what state

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Where are you reading this?

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/SC_pg/Mustang%204.6%20%2896-04%29/layouts/mustang4.6%2896-04%29.htm

6 psi is 6 psi no matter what state

Where are you seeing that that kit is CARB legal?
I see after a bunch of digging that the 6 and 9 psi kits are CARB legal, but the 14psi kit isn't.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 20, 2012

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would buy a 2005 or newer mustang instead, but if you like it buy it. I don't think it is going to hold it's resale value though, not like any mustang does. A 1979 futura would get you more AI cred.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

A 1979 futura would get you more AI cred.

And the new 5.0 will drop right in. :)

420 usable and reliable horse power in a 2800lb car would be fun.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

frozenphil posted:

And the new 5.0 will drop right in. :)

420 usable and reliable horse power in a 2800lb car would be fun.

Would this be on par with the V8 Vega's of yesteryear?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably better since I'm betting there's a lot more suspension and brake goodies for the Fox platform than a Vega ever had?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, pretty much anything that'll bolt to a Fox/SN95 will go into a Futura. I think even the Cobra IRS will bolt in there.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Q_res posted:

Yeah, pretty much anything that'll bolt to a Fox/SN95 will go into a Futura. I think even the Cobra IRS will bolt in there.

I'm not sure about the IRS. I know it will bolt up, but you might need custom length axles; not sure though. But yeah, everything made for a Fox will bolt on to it.

Bonus points if you start out with the most badass of all Fox bodies, the Mercury Zephyr.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

frozenphil posted:

I'm not sure about the IRS. I know it will bolt up, but you might need custom length axles; not sure though.
Yeah, custom axles are a must, I think that's the only issue though. As far as the Zephyr is concerned, I completely agree, so long as it's a Z7. I've always much preferred the Futura/Z7 bodystyle.

Those, the 87-88 Turbo Coupe, Mark VII LSC SE, and early 90s LX notchbacks are some of my favorites. The Fox-body seemed to be somehow pre-disposed to resulting in a good looking car.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 21, 2012

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

The '79 (I think) Zephyr 2 door coupe is really hard to find, but they are the lightest. Stripped down race versions are around 2200lbs; fully loaded they were like 2700lbs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Somebody was selling a 94 GT with a 95 Cobra 5.0 swapped in for $3000. Nothing special, but I want a big ugly clunky muscle car :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Somebody was selling a 94 GT with a 95 Cobra 5.0 swapped in for $3000. Nothing special, but I want a big ugly clunky muscle car :(.

Ugh I need a house, specifically a big garage. I would buy this in a heartbeat if it were in even decent condition.