Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

R1CH posted:

I've been running a production database server on an 80gb X-25M for over a year. SMART says there is 1 re-allocated sector, the "media wearout indicator" is at 97% and there's a total of 5.1TB of writes. I don't think wearing out the NAND should be a concern for anyone unless you're doing something crazy like using an SSD as a scratch drive for video projects.

We've switched to using a ramdisk for our temp files on our build server, 60+GB data written every hour is half a petabyte per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I didn't go through the step of aligning the partitions (or something to that effect) when I cloned my (factory new) Windows install to my SSD. Is there any way I can see how much that could be affecting my performance? Everything seems to be completely OK so it's more a matter of curiosity, unless the effect is somehow drastic.

Also, the Intel SSD toolbox is telling me that DIPM isn't supported by my storage driver - should I try to fix this, or is it inconsequential? I'm not often away from AC power but when I am could always use more battery life.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 14, 2012

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Mozi posted:

I didn't go through the step of aligning the partitions (or something to that effect) when I cloned my (factory new) Windows install to my SSD. Is there any way I can see how much that could be affecting my performance? Everything seems to be completely OK so it's more a matter of curiosity, unless the effect is somehow drastic.

If it's truly unaligned it's doing twice as much work for every write, and your reads could certainly improve.

What version of Windows? Is it GPT based? That comes pre-aligned on Windows 7 (Vista too?).

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'll be getting my replacement Corsair Force GT 120GB today since newegg only allows replacements but not refunds. Should I try again which means reinstalling Win7 along with all my apps and games from scratch or should I just sell the goddamn thing?

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Mozi posted:

I didn't go through the step of aligning the partitions (or something to that effect) when I cloned my (factory new) Windows install to my SSD.

Afaik, if you fire up AS SSD Bench it tells you if the alignment is off. If it says everything green in the upper left box then you are golden I think.

Jun 29, 2009

Vax posted:

Okay so I have my Crucial M4 128G up and running. It runs pretty smooth I think. I have the Intel RST installed but I'm not sure which driver my Windows is currently using.

Is there any way to see which driver is currently being used? Are those CrystalDiskMark results any good?

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 31.519 MB/s [ 7695.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 117.313 MB/s [ 28640.8 IOPS]

Those 4k results are amazing. I finally updated my near 7 month old M4 128gb from firmware 002 to 309 recently (took me a long time due to having horrible firmware experience with my previous Vertex 2 and two Vertex 3 drives); but my 4k is nowhere near that good.

:smith:

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
So what's the recommended way to do a benchmark that will simulate worst case scenario for random writes?

I believe a full SSD will perform worse than an almost empty one so is it just a case of fill the drive with any old crap then run the benchmarks?

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010
Suggestions on the best way to clone one SSD to another so the alignments are good. I'm using an 80GB Gen2 Intel drive currently and just picked up a Crucial 128GB M4 and want to swap it in as my main drive without having to do a full re-install.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Bitch Stewie posted:

So what's the recommended way to do a benchmark that will simulate worst case scenario for random writes?

I believe a full SSD will perform worse than an almost empty one so is it just a case of fill the drive with any old crap then run the benchmarks?

Don't you have better things to do with your time? Unless you have an actual hard requirement you need to test, just don't worry about it. It's better than obsessing over benchmarks and posting stupid crap like this:

but my 4k is nowhere near that good.

:smith:

Seriously, 80MB of random 4KB writes will take your drive one second, his drive 2/3rds of a second. There's a fair chance you wouldn't be able to distinguish the difference between the two, even side by side. But it doesn't matter, because those same writes would take even an above average desktop hard drive 3-4 minutes. Software goes to great lengths to ensure that kind of activity will never, ever happen, because it would be totally unusable for anyone with a mechanical hard drive.

Edit:

Inovius posted:

Suggestions on the best way to clone one SSD to another so the alignments are good. I'm using an 80GB Gen2 Intel drive currently and just picked up a Crucial 128GB M4 and want to swap it in as my main drive without having to do a full re-install.

Clonezilla will work well for that. It's a pain if you're trying to move from a larger drive to a smaller drive, but for the other way around it's easy and will maintain alignment.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 14, 2012

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Zhentar posted:

Don't you have better things to do with your time? Unless you have an actual hard requirement you need to test, just don't worry about it. It's better than obsessing over benchmarks and posting stupid crap like this:

Yes and no. This is being used for a database application so a poo poo ton of random writes. It's not mission critical, but speed is important.

I'm not going to obsess, but I am asking for a reason rather than to try and make Windows boot .13 of a second quicker :)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Mozi posted:

Also, the Intel SSD toolbox is telling me that DIPM isn't supported by my storage driver - should I try to fix this, or is it inconsequential? I'm not often away from AC power but when I am could always use more battery life.

From what I've seen, DIPM will save you about half a watt. If you've got an older laptop or a high-powered desktop replacement, this probably won't make a visible difference. On a more efficient, low power laptop, this will be a bigger difference; on my X220, an extra half a watt would be a 10-20% reduction in battery life for light usage.

Bitch Stewie posted:

Yes and no. This is being used for a database application so a poo poo ton of random writes. It's not mission critical, but speed is important.

I'm not going to obsess, but I am asking for a reason rather than to try and make Windows boot .13 of a second quicker :)

Anand describes some of his worst-possible-case testing procedure here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5147/the-ocz-octane-review-512gb/6

Jun 29, 2009

Zhentar posted:

Seriously, 80MB of random 4KB writes will take your drive one second, his drive 2/3rds of a second. There's a fair chance you wouldn't be able to distinguish the difference between the two, even side by side. But it doesn't matter, because those same writes would take even an above average desktop hard drive 3-4 minutes. Software goes to great lengths to ensure that kind of activity will never, ever happen, because it would be totally unusable for anyone with a mechanical hard drive.

Ah, well in that case, awesome. I think I'll go educate myself on the meaning behind the 4k/Seq/512k readings.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
What's a fair price for a used 64GB C300?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Bitch Stewie posted:

What type of workload are we talking... what sort of duration? You are going into different territory when talking about semi-enterprise use. The Anand article linked looks entirely at burst speeds and consumer workload patterns... which might only apply for a few hours in your setup. How much idle time does your setup have?

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

dietcokefiend posted:

What type of workload are we talking... what sort of duration? You are going into different territory when talking about semi-enterprise use. The Anand article linked looks entirely at burst speeds and consumer workload patterns... which might only apply for a few hours in your setup. How much idle time does your setup have?

A database used by our backup app. Duration will be persistent periods with varying IO i.e. the backup window, and then periods of nothing at all.

I would stress that I know we're using a consumer grade drive - the vendors own recommendation for performance is RAID0 (because it backs itself up regularly and isn't critical) so I've worked off the assumption that for random writes, even a poorly performing SSD should perform better than a 3-4 spinning drive RAID0 - but I don't know enough about how/whether to demonstrate this.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Maybe it was meant to link this article, a roundup of Intel SSDs in enterprise workloads, i.e. running AnandTech.com and its forums?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

fletcher posted:

What's a fair price for a used 64GB C300?

Maybe $50?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Maybe it was meant to link this article, a roundup of Intel SSDs in enterprise workloads, i.e. running AnandTech.com and its forums?

Even those tests are still all burst transfers, not duration. So not really applicable in an enterprise environment where you are looking at constant activity.

Bitch Stewie posted:

A database used by our backup app. Duration will be persistent periods with varying IO i.e. the backup window, and then periods of nothing at all.

I would stress that I know we're using a consumer grade drive - the vendors own recommendation for performance is RAID0 (because it backs itself up regularly and isn't critical) so I've worked off the assumption that for random writes, even a poorly performing SSD should perform better than a 3-4 spinning drive RAID0 - but I don't know enough about how/whether to demonstrate this.

Well in that case picking something stable/reliable on the consumer side shouldn't be a problem. Do you have any stats on previous equipment to know what sort of data you are writing to these per year to guesstimate how long they will last?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

dietcokefiend posted:

The Anand article linked looks entirely at burst speeds and consumer workload patterns... which might only apply for a few hours in your setup.

I linked to the article I meant to, although with only a little bit of searching so it may not have been the best example. I was only linking to that particular page of the article though, and only for the procedures described (Doing a sequential write pass across the whole drive, then sustained random 4k writes for an extended period).

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

dietcokefiend posted:

Well in that case picking something stable/reliable on the consumer side shouldn't be a problem. Do you have any stats on previous equipment to know what sort of data you are writing to these per year to guesstimate how long they will last?

I went for an Intel 320 - not going to set the world on fire but it seemed to get consistently good solid feedback, and they do it in 600gb which was important.

Unfortunately I don't have a clue about the volume put through the database as it's the dedupe databases used by our backup app, it's not the backup data or anything that's totalled/measured.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been keeping my eye out for a cheap 500GB flash drive for a while now. I missed the Samsung 830 for $600 a while back.

I see newegg has the M4 512GB for $650 today. This this a decent drive? I want the part for an IB build.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Chuu posted:

I've been keeping my eye out for a cheap 500GB flash drive for a while now. I missed the Samsung 830 for $600 a while back.

I see newegg has the M4 512GB for $650 today. This this a decent drive? I want the part for an IB build.

It's a very nice drive.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Chuu posted:

I got my M4 128G for a couple of days now and was very skeptical about the whole SSD issue at first but now that I experienced it first hand I'm convinced. So if you want to spend that much money on a drive go for it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DNova posted:

It's a very nice drive.

It's even a recommended drive in the second line of the very first paragaph of the OP that nobody reads!

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
Has anyone bought a patriot sandforse ssd? They were not mentioned in the op. It's on sale for 140 sata 6 and boasts 500+ read/ write at 120gb. I'm still waiting on my rma for my corsair force 120gb and my fiances hdd died. I was thinking platters are so expensive right now I would go ssd. Should I bite or wait for something more reputable on sale to come along. Thanks!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

LunaSky posted:

Has anyone bought a patriot sandforse ssd? They were not mentioned in the op. It's on sale for 140 sata 6 and boasts 500+ read/ write at 120gb. I'm still waiting on my rma for my corsair force 120gb and my fiances hdd died. I was thinking platters are so expensive right now I would go ssd. Should I bite or wait for something more reputable on sale to come along. Thanks!

$140 shipped for a known-to-be very good drive: http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Sh...ae00953463c685c

That's the best price I've ever seen for it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

LunaSky posted:

What model are you looking at specifically? I have a WildFire in front of me that just won't die no matter how hard I abuse it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Aww shucks says its not available. Ill wait for a sale then thanks!

Edit: its a Pyro SE.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

What model are you looking at specifically? I have a WildFire in front of me that just won't die no matter how hard I abuse it.

Is this for an endurance test because holy poo poo.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

LunaSky posted:

Aww shucks says its not available. Ill wait for a sale then thanks!

That was fast. There's one more option for the M4 today though.

Here it is for $152.20. Make sure you use the $10 coupon code displayed on the page.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...g2L_Ys5uHEH6kLQ

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

DNova posted:

Is this for an endurance test because holy poo poo.

I got bored one day and really just wanted to see what happened. Lighting on fire hasn't happened yet.... yet

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dietcokefiend posted:

I got bored one day and really just wanted to see what happened. Lighting on fire hasn't happened yet.... yet
Join in on that forum doing endurance tests :v:. Are you watching the write speeds too? I think the SF drives people were testing just slowed down/throttled if they were writing enough so they wouldn't kill themselves...well the SF drives that lasted that long in the first place.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dietcokefiend posted:

But its only been on for 192 hours?! How in hell did you get that much data written in 192 hours?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

redeyes posted:

But its only been on for 192 hours?! How in hell did you get that much data written in 192 hours?

That's only 175MB/s, easy to hit.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Zhentar posted:

That's only 175MB/s, easy to hit.

japtor posted:

Join in on that forum doing endurance tests :v:. Are you watching the write speeds too? I think the SF drives people were testing just slowed down/throttled if they were writing enough so they wouldn't kill themselves...well the SF drives that lasted that long in the first place.

Yea ran into a few link-negotiation quirks where it dropped from 6.0 down to 1.5gbs and had to power cycle the drive, but it has pretty much been going at 181MB/s since I started. Main interest is just to get an idea of what I might expect from a SF2200/Toggle config'd SSD.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I just got a Crucial 128GB M4 that was on buy.com for $147 last week and I'm looking to put it in my x120e. What is the best way to go about cloning my windows 7 to the SSD from the HD on a laptop with no CD drive (no external drive)? I got an external enclosure for my current drive so I can use it for backup, but now it looks like I should have gotten an USB-to-SATA cable? Can I create a disk image and put it on a USB drive and then boot to the SSD from that? Sorry, :google: wasn't too helpful for me and I didn't see anything about this in the FAQ.

e: looks like this covers what I need to know, just took stronger googling http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/storage/how_to_clone_your_notebook_macbook_hard_disk_to_an_ssd/1

Laminator fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 16, 2012

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dietcokefiend posted:

Yea ran into a few link-negotiation quirks where it dropped from 6.0 down to 1.5gbs and had to power cycle the drive, but it has pretty much been going at 181MB/s since I started. Main interest is just to get an idea of what I might expect from a SF2200/Toggle config'd SSD.

Amazing. So whats the running champ of writes?

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

DNova posted:

That was fast. There's one more option for the M4 today though.

Here it is for $152.20. Make sure you use the $10 coupon code displayed on the page.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...g2L_Ys5uHEH6kLQ

Awesome thanks. Picked it up and it will be here on the 17th hopefully! This will be faster than my old Corsair SSD right?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LunaSky posted:

Awesome thanks. Picked it up and it will be here on the 17th hopefully! This will be faster than my old Corsair SSD right?

Faster in sustained writes and reads but not faster for every day usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If anyone wants to get a Samsung 830 from NewEgg for $15 off the $199 price, enter promo code EMCNHJN24. You also retain free shipping. You can only apply it towards the desktop kit version though.

• Locked thread