Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kiimo posted:

I have bad news for you in regards to "artistic endeavors" vs. "movie marketing"

This is an artistic endeavor:

This is bait in order to sell you on an idea for the purpose of making money.

There's plenty of examples of movie posters that manage to achieve both those goals. Just because there's a distinction doesn't mean we can't call out lazy crap when we see it and laud the well done ones when we see those.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

There's plenty of examples of movies that manage to achieve both those goals. Just because there's a distinction doesn't mean we can't call out lazy crap when we see it.

That's totally fine, and most of the creatives at least on the major studio side try their very best to generate quality. But the question was why when you have a perfectly good cover would you make a new one, I'm just trying to answer that question.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Opinions about the cover itself aside, I think I can blame the actual publisher (ie Warner Bros.) for the cover with which they release their movie, thanks.

Let's not confuse publisher and distributor. Like I said I don't know for sure who did this but this is an MGM library film distributed by WB. Usually that means the studio who owns the film would determine their own marketing strategy, all WB would do is send it through their established channels to physically get the disc over-seas. But like I said I don't know for sure because MGM might have fired everybody capable of creating a cover at this point, they've practically fired everybody else.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 16, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Speaking of which, I really like this

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kiimo posted:

That's totally fine, and most of the creatives at least on the major studio side try their very best to generate quality. But the question was why when you have a perfectly good cover would you make a new one, I'm just trying to answer that question.

Well, that would mean I jumped the gun and came across like a jerk. So. Yeah. :colbert:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Well, that would mean I jumped the gun and came across like a jerk. So. Yeah. :colbert:

Not at all, hope I didn't.

Incidentally, I was just thinking how people in advertising might convince themselves that what they are creating is art.

It occurred to me what Vincent Van Gogh might think if he was alive and saw that Midnight in Paris poster.

I'm thinking suicide bombing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

kiimo posted:

Incidentally, I was just thinking how people in advertising might convince themselves that what they are creating is art.

It occurred to me what Vincent Van Gogh might think if he was alive and saw that Midnight in Paris poster.

"Oh thank god thank god does this mean I'll get money for food so I don't starve to death???" Is more what I'm thinking.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kiimo posted:

He'll probably throw his ear at it and shoot himself in the chest.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

"Oh thank god thank god does this mean I'll get money for food so I don't starve to death???" Is more what I'm thinking.

This is probably accurate.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kiimo posted:

This is probably accurate.

But mine had a much funnier mental image :colbert:

Topical:

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 16, 2012

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

All I can ever think of when I see that painting is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSGr7RwXL6U#t=4m4s

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

kiimo posted:

He'd wonder why he isn't in the movie that his art is selling.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

General Ironicus posted:

He'd wonder why he isn't in the movie that his art is selling.

Casting director: "Sorry, kid, we got no roles for people missing an ear. Go check that Tarantino film that's casting a couple doors down."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dissapointed Owl posted:

But mine had a much funnier mental image :colbert:

Topical:

I like this poster a lot (but hate the insert caption which looks really out of place).

Tiptoes was mentioned a page back and if anyone is interested in the fascinating trainwreck that that film was, they should read this.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

kiimo posted:

Given that he was pretty desperate for recognition and killed himself, in part, out of guilt at making his brother look like a fool for supporting art that wasn't selling, probably pretty happy.

Sgt_Grumbles
Jan 10, 2006
STG. GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
This is just so bad. Lens flare and gradient overlay GALORE!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I was looking through a listing of DVD and Blu-Rays that were coming out in the next few weeks, and two covers really struck me as being particularly awful.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jon Voight in "Ideal Nazi Prototype".

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Alternatively:
Jon Voight in "Wow, Peter Weller Got Kinda Fat"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jon Voight IS..... a film projector screen

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Robert Denby posted:

I was looking through a listing of DVD and Blu-Rays that were coming out in the next few weeks, and two covers really struck me as being particularly awful.

I am seeing a bunch of Judi Dench in that face.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Sgt_Grumbles posted:

How is he even holding that gun?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Pigeon Shamus posted:

Very reluctantly.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sgt_Grumbles posted:

I know that generic action heroes are pretty samey and tend to smear together in their blandness, but did anyone else think that this was Marky Mark and not Guy Pearce?

Also, Guy Pearce what happened to you? You were great in LA Confidential and Memento :(

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pigeon Shamus posted:

It looks like he's shooting through his gas tube and not the barrel.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Young Freud posted:

It looks like he's shooting through his gas tube and not the barrel.

It's a gun from The Future! Don't you see the kicking rad leds?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, Guy Pearce what happened to you? You were great in LA Confidential and Memento :(

Didn't he turn down a role in Batman Begins and then do an interview saying he thought comic book movies were ridiculous and stupid? I know for sure at least the second part of that is true, but I don't remember if it was ever confirmed he was offered a BB role, or just heavily rumored.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
He's just sitting by his phone, waiting to hear from someone about a sequel to The Time Machine.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

GrandpaPants posted:

I know that generic action heroes are pretty samey and tend to smear together in their blandness, but did anyone else think that this was Marky Mark and not Guy Pearce?

Lockout looks fun as hell though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAEzDJXKQTE It's Escape From New York/LA, but in Spaaaaaaaaaaaace!

Legion of One
Feb 17, 2012

You know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun but we just don't have time for mucking about

Dissapointed Owl posted:

No, you're right Warner Brothers. That's way too classy.

Ah, now that's better.

I have always wondered, is there a real reason studios use cheap looking covers for their dvd covers?

The only reason that i can think of is that they would have to pay a royalty to the poster artist each time it's used and that's why they go for cheaper covers.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

GrandpaPants posted:

Also The Proposition, though that was still years ago.

Legion of One posted:

I have always wondered, is there a real reason studios use cheap looking covers for their dvd covers?

The only reason that i can think of is that they would have to pay a royalty to the poster artist each time it's used and that's why they go for cheaper covers.

With a poster you're building long-term awareness and trying to create an audience and convince people why they should care that your film exists, whereas with a DVD you're trying to connect to shoppers and explain why they should spend money. A poster is much more about building critical buzz, getting people to anticipate the film, and trying to get across tones and themes so that your movie is cemented in the public consciousness before it opens. A DVD cover is about making it move off of store shelves quickly to people who might not otherwise be interested in or aware of it, so DVD covers go less for "here is how this movie will make you feel" and more for "here are the people that are in the movie, also horses/guns/explosion/sex." That's why even films with fairly abstract or understated posters will generally put the leading stars front and center on the DVD cover.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

The Triumphant posted:

Also The Proposition, though that was still years ago.

With a poster you're building long-term awareness and trying to create an audience and convince people why they should care that your film exists, whereas with a DVD you're trying to connect to shoppers and explain why they should spend money. A poster is much more about building critical buzz, getting people to anticipate the film, and trying to get across tones and themes so that your movie is cemented in the public consciousness before it opens. A DVD cover is about making it move off of store shelves quickly to people who might not otherwise be interested in or aware of it, so DVD covers go less for "here is how this movie will make you feel" and more for "here are the people that are in the movie, also horses/guns/explosion/sex." That's why even films with fairly abstract or understated posters will generally put the leading stars front and center on the DVD cover.

You are also competing with another dozen or more DVDs in the same shelves, so the flashiest the better.

It's all about selling, now, and as much as possible.

Edit:

Look what I found. "The movie the Vatican doesn't want you to see."

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 17, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Guy Pearce was in the Best Picture last year, just saying.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

kiimo posted:

Last two years, actually (although he dies in the first five minutes in one of them).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

He was also in Animal Kingdom last year and that movie loving ruled.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Eh! Frank posted:

Last two years, actually (although he dies in the first five minutes in one of them).

Plus, he shows up in The Road.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Plus, he shows up in The Road.

And he's in friggin Prometheus so I think it's safe to say reports of his career's death have been greatly exaggerated.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Look at it this way: If you had the opportunity to be in a Luc Besson sci-fi movie and hang out with Peter Stormare, would you say no?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
And a spiritual sequel to Escape From New York playing the Snake Plissken character at that.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Guy Pearce has apparently been doing a lot of theater in recent years, as well. Still, I'd like to see him in more leading roles, he's very watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I saw him a while ago in an Adam Sandler movie called Bedtime Stories. Even in that Pearce is fun to watch.