Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

slidebite posted:

A friend restored an old suzuki intruder and redid the tank and did it spraybombs with paint mixed at the paint supplier. Did several coats, clear, wetsand, more clear, stuck it in his oven, drat thing looked pro.

I guess you have more control over the mix and flo with a true airgun, but it looked fantastic.

You can easily spraycan-paint a small surface like an mc tank.

First key is preparation and a really smooth (grit about 800) and clean surface (rubbing alcohol and micro-fiber cloth).

Second key is patience and layers.

Spray real thin and let the poo poo rest for 15 minutes. Repeat for 4-5 layers (remember to clean your spraycan jet inbetween). Then very lightly rub the poo poo with grit 800/1000 and clean it.

Wait two or three days. This is the hard part, since you just can't wait and your tank looks dull and sad.

Clean it with rubbing alcohol and repeat what you did but now with a compatible clear coat.

Compatibility between the clear coat and the paint is really important. Buy "sets" or ask at the shop.

There's no reason to bake poo poo in your oven with modern DIU-spraycans, just keep operating temperatures above 18-20 degrees Celsius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Thanks for the advice on the painting. I've done some reading around the internet and a lot of what I've read says to sand the cured color layer before the clear layers, which is something you didn't mention. What's your take on that?

Endless Mike posted:

A Uly would probably look pretty good "painted" in bedliner.

It does look pretty cool

But it literally disappears

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 17, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sir Cornelius posted:

There's no reason to bake poo poo in your oven with modern DIU-spraycans, just keep operating temperatures above 18-20 degrees Celsius.
Can't say there is, but this was also almost 20 years ago so YMMV. All I remember is the paint guy who made the cans up told him to.

All I'm saying is depending on the job and care taken, spray bombs can look perfectly fine or at least should.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Did DRZ's come stock with a Renthal bar? Mine has a Fatboy bar and I don't know if it was stock or if it was added on by the PO.

i have an 07 DRZ aswell and it has fatbars on it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

KARMA! posted:

Do you feel the shudder through the lever or handlebars?

It was thru the bars, but I wasn't able to repeat it today so that's good I guess. I felt a little pulsing in the brakes so I'm going to check the pads, they're old I know.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

nsaP posted:

It was thru the bars, but I wasn't able to repeat it today so that's good I guess. I felt a little pulsing in the brakes so I'm going to check the pads, they're old I know.

Your brake disc(s) could be misaligned or warped too.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

Can someone ID this pillion peg please? My bike has miss matched pillion pegs for some dumb reason (probably cause it fell over, not surprised) and I like the style of this one, which is not original. But I have no idea how to get a matching one for the other (right) side.

After my local Suzuki dealer giving me the dumbest look when I asked him if he could find a match, I decided to go looking on eBay.

I've also wanted to try a more rigid rider peg too and I found this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/270853574714?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Am I crazy for wanting to try these? I like the style, but I wonder how strong they are.

EDIT: Will they even fit my 02 Bandit?

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 18, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

What year? The later ones came with Renthal FatBars

echomadman posted:

i have an 07 DRZ aswell and it has fatbars on it.

Ok, yeah mine's an '07 and has the same bar.

In other news, the wife is letting me keep the Honda and I'm heavily considering turning it into a cafe racer style bike for local twisties. Someone tell me this is a terrible idea...

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Ok, yeah mine's an '07 and has the same bar.

In other news, the wife is letting me keep the Honda and I'm heavily considering turning it into a cafe racer style bike for local twisties. Someone tell me this is a terrible idea...

That is a great idea.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Welp my local track canceled all sumo racing this year, I guessing because not enough racers showing up. I did the last and second to last event and aside from a blown engine or injury I couldn't see any reason why I couldn't make it to every event this year. Also on the last event the championship cup went to Canada. :smith:

So looks like I'll be commuting 2 1/2 hours to OVRP and maybe 4 hours to Summit Point. First order of business, replace these crappy tie-downs that pull out when I tighten the straps. Is there a good alternative? The one in the pic isn't too bad but some seriously pull out a good couple inches. Locking tire-holds are out because then I'd need to keep the bed open and all my gas, stands and stuff would fall out.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

nsaP posted:

Build up of brake dust in the pads? I had something similar with my last bike that would disappear if I took the caliper off the disc and smacked the pads around a little. Having said that, the pads were ancient.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

I'm off to take my MSF! High of 79, living in Florida has but a few benefits, and warm weather is one of them (the only one). Cloudy with small chance of rain today and thunder storms midday tomorrow though, ugh.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

BlackLaser posted:

I'm off to take my MSF! High of 79, living in Florida has but a few benefits, and warm weather is one of them (the only one). Cloudy with small chance of rain today and thunder storms midday tomorrow though, ugh.

Consider me educated. I had no idea Florida gave a poo poo about motorcycle safety foundations.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Sir Cornelius posted:

Consider me educated. I had no idea Florida gave a poo poo about motorcycle safety foundations.

Two days MSF required to obtain a motorcycle license in the state of FL as of 7/08. Home for lunch. Instructor is an ex motorcycle cop. Yikes. I spy a CRF230L with my name on it when I get back out there. :pervert:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

Two days MSF required to obtain a motorcycle license in the state of FL as of 7/08. Home for lunch. Instructor is an ex motorcycle cop. Yikes. I spy a CRF230L with my name on it when I get back out there. :pervert:

The CRF230L is literally the worst bike you could get.

Edit: Sorry, I'm an idiot. For no good reason, I thought you were talking about purchasing. Perfectly fine MSF bike.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 18, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I had one, or something drat close, in my MSF that I took cause I thought it'd be easier/more fun than the little suzuki and kawa 250 cruisers they had. Probably would have been great, except the thing ran like poo poo and took what felt like forever to respond to throttle inputs. Launching it would be a whole second between "twist back throttle" to "motor starts to spin up".

I didn't give a gently caress tho I was on a motorcycle :hellyeah:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Sir Cornelius posted:

They changed it as of a few years ago to where it's required for everyone operating a motorcycle on public roads. All the old guys who had been riding for years were displeased, to say the least.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

BlackLaser posted:

Whereabouts in FL?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

EZipperelli posted:

Whereabouts in FL?

Tampa'ish.

No CRF for me, I am built too low to the ground. Had some turd Honda 250 that started out with an engine full of water that the instructor cleared by bouncing off the limiter for 2 minutes :wtc:. Bike would only run with the choke on, and I was not allowed to turn off the fuel. My 35 year old bike finds neutral easier than this bike with 1K miles on it. People must beat the poo poo out of these things. Still did pretty well and was the first bike out for most drills.

Need practice with very slow maneuvers and keeping my legs against the tank. Some girls dropped their bikes, couldn't shift. Couple Layer Dan's. No sport bike bro's. Long loving day out there, plus homework. Back tomorrow 8-5.

Also this is not the chat thread, oops.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

Tampa'ish.

Is yours a 2 day or 3 day (a lot of the ones I saw also had a Wednesday night in the classroom beforehand)? I was thinking of doing mine when I'm back (also Tampa-ish) in a few weeks; won't do me a lick of good paperwork-wise in terms of getting my Japanese license, but is waaay cheaper than lessons here and I could use a lot more time on a proper-sized bike. Time is pretty limited though, I'd only be able to do a weekend course.

My bike got knocked over by some strong winds (the only decent, protected place to park in my complex is taken up by two old lovely bikes that are being stored by someone), and now the front turn signal on that side doesn't blink (just goes solid), and the rear one is inoperative. I fiddled around with the indicators just using my hands to no effect, where should I look first? Likely I'll need to buy a soldering iron?

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 19, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'm kind of curious just how the basic riding course takes two days to complete? Or 3 for that matter.

My QRide (same as MSF basically) took about 6 hours and most of that was scooting around the city just riding basically.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Idaho STAR, 3 day program. First day is mostly classroom, with basic bike familiarization; second day is stop, go, S-curves, circles (left and right), emergency stops, cones, emergency swerves, &c; third day is a recap with practice, final testing, then a "closed-course street simulation" afterward.

I actually found all three days very useful when I did it, even though I had been riding for two years beforehand. The dozens of repeats of the S-curves, emergency stops (complete with kill-switch use), and emergency swerves in different situations actually made a few of those maneuvers habit, and broke one or two bad habits I had developed myself. Also, control of different styles of motorcycle (we had a few low cruisers, a few standards, and a few dual-sports mixed between the 25 people, and we did every maneuver in each style) in different tests, like the 4-foot low-speed cone weave, was something I'm sure I would never have done on my own.

The first day of classroom and bike familiarization was pretty boring for me, but there were a few people who had never been on a bike before, and I have no doubt that it was very useful for them. Also, having 25 people ride in a big oval for 10 laps in one direction, then for 20 in the other, seems pretty boring, but it really gets vehicle spacing, speed pace, and "establishing a comfort zone" into your head. And even though a bit of the classroom work was very dull, there were a few small sections where I said to myself silently "Gee, I didn't know that. Nice to know." Just little things, but they're things I remember clearly even now.

The test on the third day was actually pretty challenging in some respects, and I thought that was a good thing. It forced you to 'think on your feet' a few times (as well as stand on your pegs a few times), and you only had one chance, which upped the stress level a bit. All but one person in my group passed at one level or another, and most of them had never set butt on a motorcycle before the first day.

I just did some research on QRide, and it doesn't seem anything like the MSF, or STAR, our direct knockoff (there has even been a lawsuit from MSF!) course in preparation. There was one other licensed rider taking the course with me, and he had been riding for 20 years in both cross-country touring, and recreationally off-road. He told me that the course was a help, and well worth the $125 or whatever it cost, even with his prior experience. I've heard similar things from other veteran riders, especially about the 'Intermediate' (higher-speed collision and obstacle handling, you can use your own bike up to 1200cc) and 'Advanced' (race-style maneuvering and more advanced techniques) classes, even though both of those are optional one-day courses. I think that complaining about people doing safety courses is just a tiny bit arrogant.

quote:

My bike got knocked over by some strong winds (the only decent, protected place to park in my complex is taken up by two old lovely bikes that are being stored by someone), and now the front turn signal on that side doesn't blink (just goes solid), and the rear one is inoperative. I fiddled around with the indicators just using my hands to no effect, where should I look first? Likely I'll need to buy a soldering iron?

Do you use regular bulbs, or LED? If it's regular bulbs, replace the rear bulb. Sometimes having one bulb out means the turn signal blinker won't actually get enough current draw to blink, or it may blink very erratically (solid for 15 seconds, blinks off for a split-second, then back solid).

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 19, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

I think that complaining about people doing safety courses is just a tiny bit arrogant.

I didn't mean to come across as if I had done that, I was just wondering why it took 2 - 3 days. Seems like it covers a lot more than the basic QRide stuff - we have to go to private companies for advanced training like it seems you guys get as part of your MSF.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ah. Tone is hard to infer through text, and this is SA, where we are all critics by default, which is why I read it that way.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Is yours a 2 day or 3 day (a lot of the ones I saw also had a Wednesday night in the classroom beforehand)? I was thinking of doing mine when I'm back (also Tampa-ish) in a few weeks; won't do me a lick of good paperwork-wise in terms of getting my Japanese license, but is waaay cheaper than lessons here and I could use a lot more time on a proper-sized bike. Time is pretty limited though, I'd only be able to do a weekend course.

2 day with these guys http://www.flpmt.com/ 8-11:30 was class, hour lunch, 12:30-5:30 range. We'll see how today goes. Probably not much more class, can't imagine how many more drills we have to do. It was a lot to take in for someone who has never ridden at all (me) going from a wobbly power walk across the course to emergency braking, weaving, and shifting up to third gear by the end of the day. Just as I was getting comfortable with one, it was on to the next.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
So I just got a roketa 110cc quad for free from Craigslist. Of course it doesn't run so I am gonna check the same stuff we do with motorcycles. The battery is a ct5l-bs and Google can't seem to tell me if its ok to pop the top and pour in like distilled water if its low. If its "maintainance free" does that mean charging is my only hope before buying a new one?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Shadetree opinion: If the cells can be uncapped, it's OK to refill.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Bucephalus posted:

Shadetree opinion: If the cells can be uncapped, it's OK to refill.

Sounds straight forward enough. Thanks :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
About now is when I should start planning my Sturgis 2012 trip. We usually do the Seattle -> Missoula -> Sheridan -> Sturgis -> Cody -> Missoula -> Seattle loop but I did that in 2008 and 2010 so I am interested in seeing some different towns, maybe even shave a day off Sturgis proper and stretch the return trip by a day.

A couple options I am considering are Whitefish, MT and Stanley, ID. Both are two-day rides toward home from Sturgis with a first day around 350 miles and the next about 400. Between Sturgis and either destination are kind of lovely rides, I realize. Looks like potential stops are Harlowton, MT or Dubois, WY. Anybody have an opinion either way?

If we do Whitefish, we'll arrive from the east, through Glacier NP which I imagine is cool. If we do Stanley, well, I just really like Stanley and the roads between there and the Washington border.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Looking to sell my 2003 gsxr 600 with a clean title and about 21000 miles. Tires only have about 800 miles on them with tons of tread left. It has a yoshi slip on, NGK iridium plugs and a BMC air filter. Is 3000 a fair price for it? I'm in northern California if that matters. I see similar bikes with more miles have been going for similar prices on CL, if not a bit more.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Whiteboy posted:

Looking to sell my 2003 gsxr 600 with a clean title and about 21000 miles. Tires only have about 800 miles on them with tons of tread left. It has a yoshi slip on, NGK iridium plugs and a BMC air filter. Is 3000 a fair price for it? I'm in northern California if that matters. I see similar bikes with more miles have been going for similar prices on CL, if not a bit more.

Depends entirely on how well off the bike is. All consumables: age of tires, last fluid change (including fork oil), chain/sprocket life, valve adjustment, battery. Also, if the bike runs well - if it has a slip-on and aftermarket air filter, it might be lean unless it's been rejetted properly. These are all things that a knowledgeable buyer will be looking at.

I would spend $3,000 on the GSXR if it was in pristine condition, but would probably haggle you down otherwise if it's the condition most bikes I see are in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That generation GSXR was already fuel injected. Not that that automatically fixes a lean condition, but if it needs to be tuned, it wont be as simple as buying four mainjets

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

clutchpuck posted:

If we do Whitefish, we'll arrive from the east, through Glacier NP which I imagine is cool. If we do Stanley, well, I just really like Stanley and the roads between there and the Washington border.
I hit Whitefish and Glacier several times a year as I live about an hour from Glacier and 2 from Whitefish/Kallispell. It is very scenic but holiday traffic can be brutal. The going-to-the-sun road is a must ride, but it is very, very time consuming during the summer months, especially July and August.

If you were to do it, you'd probably want to do Hwy 2. It's nice and curvy without the incredibly awful traffic.

It'll be pretty boring from the East side of Glacier park for some time as you know, but 87 East from Great Falls toward Billings is nicer than the interstate.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 21, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Well we're definitely leaning toward Whitefish. I think we're going to get off the interstate at Billings and spend the first night out of Sturgis in Harlowton. From there, probably 12 east to 89 and follow it north through Lewis and Clark NF to 2. As far as traveling through Montana goes, that seems like a pretty good route.

Am I making a huge mistake?

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Depends entirely on how well off the bike is. All consumables: age of tires, last fluid change (including fork oil), chain/sprocket life, valve adjustment, battery. Also, if the bike runs well - if it has a slip-on and aftermarket air filter, it might be lean unless it's been rejetted properly. These are all things that a knowledgeable buyer will be looking at.

I would spend $3,000 on the GSXR if it was in pristine condition, but would probably haggle you down otherwise if it's the condition most bikes I see are in.

The tires are only about four months old. I change my oil every 2000 miles using motul synthetic oil and the fork oil was changed by the guy I bought it from. He was the second owner and he changed all the fluids in the bike and was working on fixing what the first ruined when he laid down the bike. The first owner dented the exhaust a bit and threw away all the fairings so I had to ebay some used OEM ones from some guy. The guy I bought it from cleaned the bike up had the frame and fork checked to make sure everything was still good to go. It looked like the only damage done was to the exhaust and the fairings. I bought the bike from him for $2000 and put everything back together. Since then I've repainted the gas tank and rear cowling with black automotive paint (not cheap rattlecan), changed the plugs and air filter, bought a new battery and bought a new set of tires. The chain and sprocket I was going to replace when I bought the plugs but they both still look perfectly fine. I don't really know how to tell if the bike is running lean but I can tell you it runs a lot better than it did before I bought the new plugs and filter.

Now that I'm not posting from my phone I can give more info on it. With all that in mind, how far should I lower the price? From looking at craigslist I don't see many at a $3000 price and the ones close to it are all salvage titled bikes. The guy looking at my bike is my brother's friend so I'm not looking to take advantage of him but I'm also not looking to get rid of my bike cheap.

Few pictures-
http://i.imgur.com/yTgK6.jpg (Bike when I bought it, front end assembly was in garage and included in the sale. Ignore what I'm wearing, please.)
http://i.imgur.com/6MLjI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IMqq5.jpg (Dented pipe, really hate that first owner)
http://i.imgur.com/5mUQO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mFOc5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VvviD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QA8CJ.jpg (Crack I filled in on the back side)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Start at 3k, work your way down. Write up a solid ad with all the nitty details, and expect to have to answer stupid questions anyways. Take whatever you can get around $2800.

That's how I'd do it.

Buddy price would be around $2500ish.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

clutchpuck posted:

Well we're definitely leaning toward Whitefish. I think we're going to get off the interstate at Billings and spend the first night out of Sturgis in Harlowton. From there, probably 12 east to 89 and follow it north through Lewis and Clark NF to 2. As far as traveling through Montana goes, that seems like a pretty good route.

Am I making a huge mistake?
I forgot you were coming from the East.

No, that's fine. To be clear though, it isn't exactly exciting mountain roads, especially around Billings. But the scenery will at least be bearable most of the time.

Something else to consider, once you're at billings, you're only about 2 hours from Yellowstone/Gardiner. Just a thought, but crowds will probably make you want to ride your bike off a bridge.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Our traditional Sturgis route takes us through Ten Sleep, Cody, Dead Indian Pass, and Yellowstone, that's a pretty staggering set of scenery. But this will be my third trip to Sturgis so now it's time for something new.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh yeah, sure. If you've seen Yellowstone than I would skip it too. You'll like Glacier.

I really like the south and NW of Montana. The rest is pretty drab, but as long as you're expectations aren't super high you'll like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

My buddy recently bought a '76 Honda CB550 SuperSport and had a mechanic give it a once over. He mentioned it needed new tires and gave a vague quote of ~$350. Half-rear end googling indicates that $150 per tire is 'normal'.

He's new and I don't even ride, I guess my real questions are 1) does that seem right and 2) are there any special considerations when buying tires for vintage bikes?

Also, bike looks like this: