Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Combat is boring though its just like choose attack and watch numbers so you know when to heal.

Basically any RPG from the 90's requires a pretty low bar to enjoy combat. In its defense, the Tech idea was seriously revolutionary when the game came out (or was at least the best-executed version to date).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm considering buying a Vita at launch, and am looking into adding a couple of downloadable PSP games to play off it. Three in particular happen to be RPGs, so I'm looking for opinions on the following:

Trails in the Sky: I've heard a lot of praise about this game, though not too many details on what makes it great. What makes it so great?

Tactics Ogre: I have a better understanding why people like this game, as it's basically a more complex Final Fantasy Tactics, writer and artist included. About the only question I have is whether or not you can save your progress at any time, including battles?

Persona 3 Portable: I have tried on three separate occasions to play through P3 on the PS2. The first time was because I was given a copy of FES, the other two times were because I lost my saved data (first time because my PS2 memory card died, second because my PS3 died).

I've been considering starting over with the Portable version, but I'm trying to determine if it's the "definitive" one. Last I checked, the game is missing anime cutscenes as well as the ability to freely run around town and school (but that might be more of a positive).

What changes did they do to make the core game better, and do they make up for what's missing from the console release?

Lastly, if I had to choose between those three, which would be the one to go for?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its not just anime cutscenes, its also missing the in-engine polygonal stuff. All plot development was replaced with talking heads. Pretty big mark against it imo, because that stuff is half the reason I like Persona. Its a much better game mechanically though, adopting a bunch of Persona 4's pleasant improvements like direct party control.

I haven't played Trails in the Sky yet, but Tactics Ogre and Persona are both some of the best SRPGs and JRPGs respectively, and the PSP versions are the definitive way to play those games. You can't go wrong either way, get whichever has the kind of gameplay that appeals to you more.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ugh, too bad. I know they aren't exactly cutting edge polygons, but I know I would get tired of watching nothing but talking heads the whole way.

I guess I'll wait for the Vita version of Persona 4 instead...which I also conveniently lost the save file to.

At least I was able to finish that one before the PS3 crashed. :godwin:

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Primoman posted:

Ugh, too bad. I know they aren't exactly cutting edge polygons, but I know I would get tired of watching nothing but talking heads the whole way.

I guess I'll wait for the Vita version of Persona 4 instead...which I also conveniently lost the save file to.

At least I was able to finish that one before the PS3 crashed. :godwin:

Personally, I'd say P3P is the definitive version. The talking heads can get boring, but you can just stop reading instead and LISTEN to the voice acting! Which they have for EVERYTHING! Seriously, don't miss out on this. I personally liked the grinding, but can still agree that it does get tedious (and the random dungeon design doesn't really help), but you can do all of this (almost) mindlessly while watching some crap.

I haven't played trails in the sky yet, but I've heard amazing things. It's on sale on the PSN right now, pick it up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Primoman posted:

I'm considering buying a Vita at launch, and am looking into adding a couple of downloadable PSP games to play off it. Three in particular happen to be RPGs, so I'm looking for opinions on the following:

One thing: I've heard that not all PSP titles are compatible on the Vita. You might want to check that out before you buy one for PSP games.

1337_CroniX
Nov 22, 2005
The Warrior Of Ruin

Primoman posted:

Trails in the Sky: I've heard a lot of praise about this game, though not too many details on what makes it great. What makes it so great?

Trails in the sky is generally a good all around RPG, portable or not. It has great music, likeable-ish characters. Battles are turn based on a grid with certain turns giving specific bonuses to party members acting on that turn. Turns can also be interrupted or switched around which leads to quite a bit of strategy in combat. The magic system is similar to Final Fantasy 7's materia system with any party member able to learn any spell simply by equipping certain magic items. Also it's quite lengthy with plenty of quests and side missions. I'd recommend watching a few videos just to see if you like the feel of the combat and art style. Overall though I'd highly recommend it.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

mune posted:

I have really enjoyed games where you're supposed to die at first but each little bit of progress gives you a reward that you permanently have from the beginning of the game so you eventually make your way up to being super-powered. Plus you're getting better at the game!

Games that have done this (that I know of) are Elona Shooter and the Enchanted Cave (flash games) and I'm sure I'm missing some more. Man these games are fun, just wish there were more of them :(

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls is kind of like this too, you only lose souls/humanity when you die but you keep any items you gain and any shortcuts or disarmed traps unlocked. This kind of positive defeat model actively encourages the player to continue playing.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Yeah, not all PSP games are available for Vita, but there are still quite a few of them:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/09/how-to-download-psp-titles-to-ps-vita/

There are a lot of good titles available that make me reconsider my unwillingness to buy it at launch, since I don't have a PSP anymore and missed outon a lot of titles. There are actually a dangerous number of attractive titles...

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Primoman posted:

I've been considering starting over with the Portable version, but I'm trying to determine if it's the "definitive" one. Last I checked, the game is missing anime cutscenes as well as the ability to freely run around town and school (but that might be more of a positive).

P3P also lets you play through as a female version of the Main character who has the huge distinction of having all of the other Sees kids as her social links. It gives you a good reason to get to know your squad mates rather than a bunch of random shmucks around town. I felt more connected to the characters and story in the FemMc run than in the entirety of my run with the Male character.

also the Shinji social link arc as the FemMc is so :sympathy:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

softcorps posted:

Yeah, not all PSP games are available for Vita, but there are still quite a few of them:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/09/how-to-download-psp-titles-to-ps-vita/

There are a lot of good titles available that make me reconsider my unwillingness to buy it at launch, since I don't have a PSP anymore and missed outon a lot of titles. There are actually a dangerous number of attractive titles...
I understand the appeal of buying new technology, but if the old games are all you're interested in, why not get a PSP? They go for less than $100 these days, and you can buy UMDs for a hell of a lot cheaper than the PSN sells games for. There's enough stuff out there to last you until the inevitable Vita price drop.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Has anyone played Ys Origin using the English patch that came out in November'ish? Is it a decent patch?

Looking at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP9BnOAMrpk - it looks like a pretty sharp job.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rascyc posted:

Has anyone played Ys Origin using the English patch that came out in November'ish? Is it a decent patch?

Looking at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP9BnOAMrpk - it looks like a pretty sharp job.

Yeah it was perfectly fine when I ran through it.

Unfortunately it also reminded me just how mediocre Ys Origin is. :/

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Oh, is it? For some reason, in my mind, I thought I had read it was better than Oath? Is that not the case? =(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I should clarify that it's mediocre for an Ys game, so that means it's still pretty good all things considered.

It's definitely way worse than Oath though, for a variety of reasons. These aren't really spoilers but I'll tag them anyway just in case you want to go in totally blind.

- The game is shorter than Oath and they expect you to play through it 3 times before you can actually fight the real final boss and get the real ending. That also means only one of the characters can actually fight the final boss. :/

- There's nothing but the tower in the game really. In most other Ys games, there are towns to run around and talk to people, side quests, and stuff like that. There is the bottom floor base where there are people to talk to, but none of them are particularly interesting/fun characters.

- Hugo is extremely overpowered but also really unfun to play as.

- The difficulty balance in the game is totally off. The game peaks in difficulty around the half way point (the desert boss) and then becomes almost laughably easy by the time you get to the last few bosses.

- The difficulty levels are wonky as well. "Normal" is really drat easy, "Hard" feels slightly easier than the Normal from Oath. Nightmare starts to hit that place where it becomes more tedious than difficult.

- Overall it just feels really phoned in. From Ys6 to YsF there was a definite evolution in the gameplay systems and balance. But YsO feels like a clone of YsF but with a lot of stuff stripped out.

If you've beaten Oath on Normal you'll definitely want to play Origin on Hard, at least.

Also, Origin doesn't get along with Windows 7 at all, it's basically not playable on it because it will reliably crash in places. So I hope you're running XP if you want to play it.

(Not actually sure if Oath has the same problem or not since I haven't tried to run it on 7 yet)

If that sounds like a lot of negativity, I'll just repeat that the game is actually not bad. It's just a huge step down from Oath and IMO is the weakest title in the series. (Not counting Ys5 which I haven't played)

Edit: Oh yeah, I'll definitely give it one huge positive point: The water level is actually the best part of the whole game and is probably the best water level I've ever seen in a video game.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Speaking of Ys, I've never played any of the games but have been meaning to get recommendations on where to start. As I recall, there are two Ys games on the PSP, including a remake of the first two.

What's the best Ys game to start with, and/or the best Ys game overall?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oath in Felghana is amazing and available on the PSP. It's worth playing no matter what, at least. Pretty sure 99% of Ys fans will say this is the best one.

As for where to start...I don't think it'd be a major problem to start with Oath, but the gameplay is a lot different than the earlier games. I think the PC remake of YS I & II (called Ys I & II Complete) is a good "classic" introduction to the series, the only caveat being that I would recommend patching the game so that it uses the original PC-Engine music.

Ys Seven (for the PSP) is also pretty good, though again a lot different from the rest.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^^^ The best Ys game is actually Zwei II. Too bad it'll never be translated and the fan translation is going nowhere.

TheOriginalEd posted:

P3P also lets you play through as a female version of the Main character who has the huge distinction of having all of the other Sees kids as her social links. It gives you a good reason to get to know your squad mates rather than a bunch of random shmucks around town. I felt more connected to the characters and story in the FemMc run than in the entirety of my run with the Male character.

Plus she gets new music! At school, in battle, boss battles, etc.

For comparison male and female battle themes. It's up to you which is better but it's refreshing at least.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 16, 2012

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do the Ys games (or specifically Oath) share any sort of continuity? Would there be story elements and such I wouldn't fully appreciate for not playing the other games, or is it more like Final Fantasy where the only connections are aesthetics and themes?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Primoman posted:

Do the Ys games (or specifically Oath) share any sort of continuity? Would there be story elements and such I wouldn't fully appreciate for not playing the other games, or is it more like Final Fantasy where the only connections are aesthetics and themes?

There are a number of heavy connections but the games are self contained enough that you don't have to play them in any order if you don't want to. Usually the connections are more minor plot points or backstory than anything else. The only major exception is I&II, as 2 is a direct continuation of 1 and is meant to be played immediately after.

The other connections go like:

Origin -> I & II -> 4

Ys3/Oath -> Ys6 -> Ys7

I'm not actually sure if 5 has anything to do with any of the other ones.

Primoman posted:

What's the best Ys game to start with, and/or the best Ys game overall?

Oath is definitely the best overall and it's pretty hard to argue with. But it might also not be your favorite. Everyone seems to rank the games their own way so I'd recommend you just play them all at some point. Oath is definitely a solid place to start, as are I&II.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 16, 2012

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

TheOriginalEd posted:

The problem I had with it is the that cutting out all the models walking around during cut scenes really just killed my sense of enjoyment. Things just seemed more immersive when I could watch a character do something instead of year a sound effect and maybe read about it.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Atlus just sent out an email titled _____ (five _s) with this severely darkened image attached. Using Paint.NET's auto-level function gets the following, but I'm too unfamiliar with image manipulation to go much further. Original image at the above link if anyone else wants to try and see if there's anything at all.

My first thought is just P4G because of the "tuned", but that seems too.. easy.

edit:

FighterKnuckles posted:

Actually, look at Ultimate's Logo.

The red shard things on the left side are a VERY similar shape to the ones in the blackened image. It's for sure Mayonaka Arena, at the very least.

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 17, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stay Tuned screams Persona 4 Golden. That or the fighting game. Or both

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Apparently I was out of the loop about this, but the Square Enix Members site got hacked back in December. I went to log into my account to check on it and it says that the login function is down for maintenance. :ohdear:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oath is definitely the best overall and it's pretty hard to argue with. But it might also not be your favorite. Everyone seems to rank the games their own way so I'd recommend you just play them all at some point. Oath is definitely a solid place to start, as are I&II.

This game is fun, but gently caress if it's not the hardest aRPG I've ever played. Apparently "Normal" difficulty means scraping by every boss by the skin of your teeth after dying 20-30 times in the process, and occasionally dying to trash mobs before you realize you're even taking damage.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I found that I would generally get obliterated in boss battles, but if I leveled up one more time they would be easier. It seemed like normal progression through the game always resulted in you being exactly one level too low. That elemental knight boss in the castle being the worst offender of this, if my memory serves me right.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

softcorps posted:

So... I know this is rather random but it is vaguely relevant to the thread. I found this pic off of 4chan after someone there dug it out of their personal archives. Reverse GIS and Tineye don't reveal anything useful and the person who saved the pic has no idea about its origins. It looks like something off a Photoshop Phriday but I can't seem to find anything about it.

The picture's about Barkley, Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden in case anyone hasn't played that.

Ahaha, this is cool. These were made by a guy who called himself Barccoli and were posted in the original Barkley topic on saltw. He made a few others too.

What a guy.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Pash posted:

The problem I had with it is the that cutting out all the models walking around during cut scenes really just killed my sense of enjoyment. Things just seemed more immersive when I could watch a character do something instead of year a sound effect and maybe read about it.

It's absolutely not for everyone. I enjoyed it immensely, but that may have been because I'm used to Visual Novel-style games. I've played both versions and I'll say that P3P is definitely the best version due to the sheer amount of updates/extra content. I can't stand strictly turned-based games in which I can't control my other party members as well, so that would have influence on my decision.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I found that I would generally get obliterated in boss battles, but if I leveled up one more time they would be easier. It seemed like normal progression through the game always resulted in you being exactly one level too low. That elemental knight boss in the castle being the worst offender of this, if my memory serves me right.

The first couple of boss fights were the worst because they completely caught me off guard in terms of difficulty (and the first real boss fight was basically impossible until I FAQed it and found out there was a gem I missed that made the fight easy). After that it was more shmup-style, where I had to just be extremely precise and cautious.

I just came off of Dark Souls and this makes that look like a walk in the park.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All this Ys talk has made me nostalgic for Ys I & II Complete, so I reinstalled it. Oh my goodness, this game does not run very well in Windows 7 :( The only way I could get it to play normally was to kill explorer.exe and launch the game .exe. At least Felghana seems to play normally...

E: Making a .bat file that runs this seems to be the best solution:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
Start /wait ys1_win.exe
Start explorer.exe

Just don't have any folders open that you don't mind closing I guess.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 20, 2012

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding. I decided to try out Oath in Felghana, and started it on nightmare since I was looking for a challenge. There is no :stare: big enough. I'm loving it though.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

SMT: Devil Survivor 2 comes out next week. Do you need to have played the first game beforehead or are they both fairly stand-alone?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

iastudent posted:

SMT: Devil Survivor 2 comes out next week. Do you need to have played the first game beforehead or are they both fairly stand-alone?

They are completely stand alone. DS2 is a thematic sequel instead of a plot sequel. Both are just basically based around the idea "You are in modern day Japan during a looming apocolypse with demons invading" but take it in different directions. Devil Survivor 1 is basically "what if the SMT apocolypse was a slower process" and Devil Survivor 2 is "Boy, we sure liked Neon Genesis Evangelion."

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Viash posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding. I decided to try out Oath in Felghana, and started it on nightmare since I was looking for a challenge. There is no :stare: big enough. I'm loving it though.
You are crazy starting out on Nightmare. The biggest drawbacks of the higher difficulties is you have so much less time to learn the boss patterns because you get put in a dumpster so much faster. Thankfully there's a retry option.

Also I am playing Oath lately and forgot how god-awful the VA work is on everyone except Elena.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh there is voice acting on the PSP version? Didn't know that.

Ys should not have voice acting.

Rascyc posted:

You are crazy starting out on Nightmare. The biggest drawbacks of the higher difficulties is you have so much less time to learn the boss patterns because you get put in a dumpster so much faster.

Not to mention having to grind a little more and the bosses being 10x more tedious to fight because they take FOREVER to kill.

Hard mode seems to be the sweet spot for most of the games, Nightmare is good for Origin though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's a good entry point (or codifier) for the Megami Tensei franchise? I have always been interested in the games but totally lost as to what's worth, what should be done in order, that kind of stuff. I don't really know how Persona relates, but I have a copy of Persona 2 and haven't actually played it yet.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Persona 4 is the easiest and also the least depressing, so you should probably go with that. or Persona 3 Portable if you want something to go. Digital Devil Saga is probably a good middle ground where as SMT3: Nocturne is the hard one.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

MockingQuantum posted:

What's a good entry point (or codifier) for the Megami Tensei franchise? I have always been interested in the games but totally lost as to what's worth, what should be done in order, that kind of stuff. I don't really know how Persona relates, but I have a copy of Persona 2 and haven't actually played it yet.

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne is an actual SMT game and is a dungeon crawler in the vein of the old games, but with many modern conveniences. I'd start with this one for the sake of actually experience a mainline game.

Persona 3 is a life sim RPG with dungeon crawling segments and is a great game that is challenging but easier than SMT III. Persona 4 is an excellent sequel to that game. If you're going to play Persona 3, play FES and not Persona 3 Portable. Just trust me on this one. Play the Portable version on a second play through if you have to.

If you want to try a game that's more like the original two SMTs, try Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey which is more Wizardry-like than SMT3 but still a great portable game and a bit more traditional than SMT3.

Those are, in my opinion, the best places to start.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This question gets asked a lot, and honestly I don't think there's really a right or wrong place to start. Persona 2, Persona 3, Persona 4, Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1, Devil Survivor, and Strange Journey are all great self-contained (more or less) titles.

I think it comes down to what the person is willing to deal with, whether it's the game's age, the style of gameplay, or the difficulty. Yes, Persona 3/4 are probably the easiest, while Nocturne is one of the hardest, but I don't think that means you would be completely flabbergasted playing Nocturne first. Maybe you want something in the middle difficulty-wise, like DDS1. Persona 2 is my favorite MegaTen game period on the other hand and was the second one I ever played (the first being Persona 1, which I hated), but it's also the oldest on this list and not nearly as streamlined as Persona 3/4. Does a roguelike sound more fun? Go Strange Journey. A SRPG? Devil Survivor.

They're honestly all good games, and I think all potentially good introduction points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

What's roguelike about Strange Journey? Unless you're referring to forma spawns every time you re-enter a dungeon.

I just got to that part by the way so I'm genuinely curious.