Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The only time I listen to Todd shows is when I'm having a bout of insomnia, and they work quite well to solve that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The only time I listen to a Todd show is when both his and Lance's shows are on the front page and I click on the wrong link.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

give Colt all the poo poo you want but he's no Wiggly.

I miss Wiggly :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

The only time I listen to a Todd show is when both his and Lance's shows are on the front page and I click on the wrong link.

This, but with me expecting to click on a Dr. Lucha show.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

coconono posted:

give Colt all the poo poo you want but he's no Wiggly.

I miss Wiggly :(

I made a point about politics in the latest episode so I'm trying to recover what was lost!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Has Dynamite Dave ever said a match was better than 5 stars?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Plenty of times, though he's never given one more than 5 stars, as the system isn't malleable or whatever.

Basically he'll put it this way, "if match X was five stars, match Y is six stars".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

A Ric Flair/Ricky Steamboat house show match from Crockett got six stars.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

A Ric Flair/Ricky Steamboat house show match from Crockett got six stars.

One of the infamous AJPW matches was "At least ******+ stars" too, I believe.

Also, Lance's talk about diving and such was really interesting. He seemed to be in a good mood, which is probably why it was a good show.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Listening to Lance's rant I want to make one addendum. If you're a heel, you shouldn't be looking to make the crowd cheer for your move. I had a great thought of being a guy who was well known for jumping to the top turnbuckle and moonsaulting off (like as one fluid move, Shelton Benjamin style), then after a heel turn hinted at the top rope moonsault but instead jumped off to deliver a basic elbow.

Bryan's ranted on this kind of psychology before, when he and Vinny reviewed that Rockers vs Brainbusters tag match from the MSG show a while back. Its one of those rants that's always stuck with me when I'm thinking about structuring a match, and why I like Hunico so much.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah that was a great Lance show. I've never heard analysis into flip dives like that before.

Imagine if wrestling announcers would break down moves in that way a bit more, rather than just saying "WOW WHATTAMANEUVER"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Yeah that was a great Lance show. I've never heard analysis into flip dives like that before.

Imagine if wrestling announcers would break down moves in that way a bit more, rather than just saying "WOW WHATTAMANEUVER"

Then they wouldn't be telling a story. :colbert:

Although that's supposed to be what Jerry Lawler and Booker T do. JBL was fantastic at this. The way he described a hit to the nose alone made you feel like you had been smacked in the face.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Listened to the MVP podcast today due to this thread. Holy poo poo, that guy is lucky he isn't dead.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Listened to the MVP podcast today due to this thread. Holy poo poo, that guy is lucky he isn't dead.

I know, after all that training he did with Benoit in his twilight years I'd say he got off pretty easy compared to some.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Although that's supposed to be what Jerry Lawler and Booker T do. JBL was fantastic at this. The way he described a hit to the nose alone made you feel like you had been smacked in the face.

Regal's great at this too, and Eddie Kingston on Chikara shows. While I hate Kingston's commentary in general the man can analyse a move's effect.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Gonzo McFee posted:

Gordon Solie used to ask wrestlers to apply holds to him lightly just so he would have an idea how to describe it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In theory that's exactly why you have a former player/fighter doing colour for any sport, because they have a perspective on it, having participated, that an observer can't, and can provide the POV of what the situation's like, having been there. For all his flaws, Booker does at least try to do this.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Dave just completely BURYING Todd at the end of the post-EC show was great.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lloyd Boner posted:

Dave just completely BURYING Todd at the end of the post-EC show was great.

Oh, tell me about this. Was Todd on the line?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Oh, tell me about this. Was Todd on the line?

No, Dave just asked Bryan what the call out debate was about. He then proceded to be completely shocked by Todd's argument and essentially said that anyone claiming the UFC don't want their fighters doing call outs in post-fight interviews is an idiot. Although he didn't use that word.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Beeswax posted:

No, Dave just asked Bryan what the call out debate was about. He then proceded to be completely shocked by Todd's argument and essentially said that anyone claiming the UFC don't want their fighters doing call outs in post-fight interviews is an idiot. Although he didn't use that word.

Wait wait wait... Todd actually argued that UFC doesn't want their fighters doing postmatch callouts? What?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
We did a Punshport Podcast last night after the Elimination Chamber. I didn't finish editing it until 5 AM cause 1) I'm lazy, 2) It was hard, 3) SoundCloud rejected my first opening song with their super copyright detection thingy.

Punchsport Podcast - Elimination Chamber 2012
Starring: The Goog, HulkaMatt, MRP, Captain Charisma Nut Bunnies

Also TinDeck's file size limit can eat a dick.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Hey I don't mean to start trouble, but HulkaMatt tweeted people should only listen to the first two minutes of the episode, then turn off. How does this complete indifference of your hard work make you feel?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm liking this. What equipment do you use? How do you make this work?

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Wait wait wait... Todd actually argued that UFC doesn't want their fighters doing postmatch callouts? What?

Dave had pretty much the same reaction

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hey I don't mean to start trouble, but HulkaMatt tweeted people should only listen to the first two minutes of the episode, then turn off. How does this complete indifference of your hard work make you feel?

In fairness it's an improvement over 'this is horrible no one listen'.

It's like working for HHH, you never get praise but over time you get less buried.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Yup.

I'm usually defending Todd because I like him and think he makes good points a lot of the time but he was a complete idiot about this.

edit: Todd posted this over on the WO/F4W BOARD

Todd Martin posted:

E-mail I sent to Dave:

On the call outs thing, Bryan misrepresented what I said. When I said the UFC doesn't really want all the lower card and middle card guys calling out other guys, I didn't say it in the sense that they aren't asking for that. It's obvious that they are, and I acknowledged that explicitly. What I was saying is they don't really want a world in which all the guys are doing that. Like if Joey Beltran is lobbying for a fight with Junior Dos Santos, he wants a fight with Junior Dos Santos but he doesn't really want it. Be careful what you wish for.

My argument against call outs for lower and mid card fighters was as follows. Doesn't have anything to do with respect or sportsmanship, either. I'm all for that sort of thing when it comes to guys who have their next opponent set and known, or even if they have an actual issue with someone and they want to make it clear. My point was specifically responding to the way you and Bryan ridicule lower tier guys who get asked who they want to fight next and they don't have an answer, and why there's nothing wrong with that and in fact it's better they don't just call out random names for the hell of it.

1) It doesn't build fights. Nobody remembers random challenges from random guys on the undercard if those guys don't legitimately care who they fight next. By the time the fight comes around, it means even less. If anything, it just undermines when someone actually cares about challenging someone else, because by then the sentiment is watered down.
2) Joe Silva doesn't book the fights that challenges are issued for 3/4 of the time anyway. Fighters often have silly ideas of future fights, and you end up with a bunch of empty challenges that don't even lead to the fights.
3) Joe Silva is a better booker than undercard fighters. He has an idea of who should be matched up with who, and the upsides and downsides of those fights. When he lets the fighters book fights, it often ends up disastrously. See Josh Koscheck vs. Mike Pierce.
4) If everyone did call out other guys, they'd be calling out the same 15 guys. Everyone knows who the best fighters are to build their careers, and hearing every lower level fighter in the middleweight division call out Wanderlei Silva wouldn't exactly set up a lot of fights given he can only fight one guy and it would just accentuate that everybody thinks Silva is an easy target.

So that was the argument. If a guy doesn't want to throw out a random name when they're asked after a fight, I think it's perfectly fine and I don't think they deserve scorn and ridicule for it.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 21, 2012

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Well, there is Nut Bunnies.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I'm liking this. What equipment do you use? How do you make this work?

We all get in a Skype call and one of us records it. Up until now it had been Nut Bunnies, but I grabbed a freeware Skype call recorder (which actually put my audio on the left channel and everyone else on the right--fun!) and cleaned it up in Audacity.

HulkaMatt and I had about half an hour of raw audio recorded when CC and MRP called, but it was really rough; we were both stumbling over our words and thinking about picking it up the next day. Thanks for the save, guys!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

The Goog posted:

Up until now it had been Nut Bunnies, but I grabbed a freeware Skype call recorder (which actually put my audio on the left channel and everyone else on the right--fun!) and cleaned it up in Audacity.

I assume you're talking about CallGraph, and this can be fixed by going into its options and setting it to record in Mono.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

I assume you're talking about CallGraph, and this can be fixed by going into its options and setting it to record in Mono.

It's not CallGraph, but I did see that option when I chose to record, so I'll remember to go mono next time I record. Thanks!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Give me a hell yeah if you are looking forward to Lance Storm giving another lecture on dives, which I assume he will given all the injuries they suffered tonight.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 21, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Give me a hell yeah if you are looking forward to Lance Storm giving another lecture on dives.

The first one was really interesting, so sure?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Goog posted:

We all get in a Skype call and one of us records it.
Holy balls. Skype sounds waaaay better than whatever Bryan uses. What do you use for post in audacity?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Todd Martin's Raw write up tonight makes my head spin

quote:

I found John Cena on this show very likable. He seemed more genuine and he acted like he cared...

After Cena has been unlikable for so long, they have made quite the effort to make him likable again. The video packages at the Elimination Chamber with him helping out younger wrestlers had that effect, and standing up to a manipulative woman earned him more points here...

This show was an excellent show

If there's any justice in the world, Bryan will berate him further this week.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 21, 2012

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Fish Of Doom posted:

What is wrong with him?!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

LordPants posted:

Give me a hell yeah if you are looking forward to Lance Storm giving another lecture on dives, which I assume he will given all the injuries they suffered tonight.

Doubtful, none of the injuries were suffered through dives really. A bad throw sure, but not actual dives. I expect a lecture on not working when you're already hurt.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRayPer posted:

The first one was really interesting, so sure?
He's writing an article about it for his site so he'll expand on what he said.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fish Of Doom posted:

I actually think, to the average fan, Todd's right. Most people aren't thinking "how dare Cena slut-shame Eve?!", they're thinking she's a skanky bitch that burned Zack and put the moves on a married man, and had just explicitly said she'd done so premeditatedly. I'm not saying WWE are right for doing it, or that it makes Cena come off well if you think in those terms, but I don't think Todd's wrong in the grand scheme of things. Add in the promo at the end, and they really are trying to turn people around on Cena.

Basically, if you want enlightened, nuanced portrayals of the sexual double standard, don't watch wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Holy balls. Skype sounds waaaay better than whatever Bryan uses. What do you use for post in audacity?

I tried pretty hard to cut out the background noise (me fumbling with my mic or just breathing too hard, that sort of thing) and also eliminate some stammering and missteps when I could. There was also some rear end in a top hat who felt the need to say "yup" or "mm-hmm" after every point someone made (again: me), and I did what I could to silence those.

It took about two hours to edit once we all said good night and closed the Skype call.

• Locked thread