Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Robert Denby posted:

Is Dakota Fanning playing a real doll now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Flypaper and Three Musketeers it looks like.

Also, this is a really lovely Aliens cover:

Jurassic Planet.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Noxville posted:

The cover of the new UK Blu-Ray of Repo Man is appalling. Really bad job, Masters of Cinema. Really, really bad job.

When they first showed it I assumed placeholder art but it comes out on Monday and it's still like this on their site and on Amazon.

I dunno, if it glows in the dark I'm voting "Greatest Cover of All Time"

Also that Aliens cover is hilarious, the queen looks like a cute little critter. :3:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

wyoming posted:

Also that Aliens cover is hilarious, the queen looks like a cute little critter. :3:

Hey, this one little word made me remember that one series of movies. It had a shitload of posters.

Critters: Good posters, bad posters and completely off base posters

Critters 2: Consistent sequel poster and TAGLINES

Critters 3: Pre- and Post- DiCaprio

Critters 4: The one I didn't see; thank god

Critters fan posters: The pretty awesome

Crihahahahahahaha:

You know, I still don't get the Critters in Special Cops one.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 27, 2012

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

wyoming posted:

I never thought of that, I'll take it all back if it that's why because that's perfect.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Critters 4: The one I didn't see; thank god

Critters 4 is much better than Critters 3 - though admittedly you could say the same about 93% of all movies ever made.

Search as I might I was unable to find anything on Special Cops, sorry.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jedit posted:

Critters 4 is much better than Critters 3 - though admittedly you could say the same about 93% of all movies ever made.

Search as I might I was unable to find anything on Special Cops, sorry.

Man, might just have to look up Critters 4. For closure.

I'm guessing they wanted to make Critters more of franchise characters or something, so they decided to name the first Critters after those two bounty hunter/intergalactic cops and add 'Critters in ...' to it? Iunno.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I remember having the first two Critters movies on VHS as a kid. I can't even remember how I got them but I'm guessing it had to do with Gremlins at some level.
Critters weren't exactly kids movies though, but I still liked them.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Jedit posted:

I thought parts 1-3 were terrible but hilarious, while 4 was just plain terrible. It tries to be a serious Alien-like space horror movie, but for some reason this doesn't quite work when the monsters are, you know, the Critters.

I bought a collection with all four movies a few years ago. The whole thing started with me talking to my then-girlfriend about the movies and how the Finnish translation is even more hilarious "Nakertajat", which translates back into English as "Nibblers". She was all "there's no loving way that's a real movie you're describing" so clearly I had to show her Critters in their entire tiny furry teethy glory.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I need a movie poster font nerd's help. What's the font on the Tree of Life poster?

Also, to contribute, one of my favorite posters:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Sheldrake posted:

I need a movie poster font nerd's help. What's the font on the Tree of Life poster?

Probably "Futura".

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sheldrake posted:

What the font?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Akuma posted:

What the font?

Perfect! Thank you!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Desperado Bones posted:

Goddammit!

This is the poster of Chronicle for Mexico. They translated it to "Unlimited power", the tagline says: "And you, what would you do if you had it?"

I know this is from a while back, the poster is... okay, but man, that's a good tagline for the film.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Sheldrake posted:

Also, to contribute, one of my favorite posters:

I know this guy also did work for MAD magazine, but those dialogue boxes are ripped straight out of my dad's old issues from the 70's (best gift 10-year-old me ever received.)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That artist and that font will stick with me forever, I used to read the gently caress out of that magazine growing up. Is it still around?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Sheldrake posted:

The most interesting thing about this poster is that there was once a time that people thought Elliott Gould could carry a movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

That artist and that font will stick with me forever, I used to read the gently caress out of that magazine growing up. Is it still around?

Yeah, MAD is still around. But it's one of those things where you should pretend it was cancelled in the 80's and never, ever look at any new issues of it under any circumstance.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It was never as good as National Lampoon's.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

scary ghost dog posted:

It was never as good as National Lampoon's.

I still have to admire MAD back in the day for The Usual Gang of Idiots refusing to have advertising in their magazine since they thought marketing to kids was wrong and that it could compromise their humor. At least until they got bought out and the print was driven into irrelevance and because a license for awful TV programming instead.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Farbtoner posted:

awful TV programming

Some of those things were created by goon, weren't they?

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Farbtoner posted:

I still have to admire MAD back in the day for The Usual Gang of Idiots refusing to have advertising in their magazine since they thought marketing to kids was wrong and that it could compromise their humor. At least until they got bought out and the print was driven into irrelevance and because a license for awful TV programming instead.

Aw, they've come so far since Mad TV.

I'm not sure in what direction, but they went.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
The current MAD show actually has some halfway decent sketches. Which is more than I could ever say for MADTV.

The magazine has been poo poo for years though. It needs to be taken out behind the shed already. Aragones is the only reason to read it.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I know this guy also did work for MAD magazine, but those dialogue boxes are ripped straight out of my dad's old issues from the 70's (best gift 10-year-old me ever received.)

You're not kidding, I thought "Mort Drucker" the second I saw it. Okay so it was one of their other dudes but STILL.

Legion of One
Feb 17, 2012

You know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun but we just don't have time for mucking about

I'm in charge of the poster at the cinema i work at and i just loved my managers reaction when i showed her this poster "No just no, you are not to put that up anywhere"

So instead we put one like this one

Desperado Bones posted:

But with a white eyed guy in place of the cut lip girl

Which brings me to this version

I can't be the only one who is tired of these "inspired / based on true events" tag line right?
And why did they mirror the second D?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Legion of One posted:

It's an exorcism movie, right? Mirroring the second D actually seems like a pretty elegant way of suggesting something (or someone) being twisted and perverted from within.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Shanty posted:

You're not kidding, I thought "Mort Drucker" the second I saw it. Okay so it was one of their other dudes but STILL.
I knew it was a Jack Davis picture even at thumbnail size just from the way he draws feet.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Legion of One posted:

I'm in charge of the poster at the cinema i work at and i just loved my managers reaction when i showed her this poster "No just no, you are not to put that up anywhere"

I can't be the only one who is tired of these "inspired / based on true events" tag line right?

The tag line is atrocious, the sad part is that the one used for the Mexican version will attract a lot of fools; 1)A large part of the population is hardcore Catholic, 2)It is a quote from some guy from the radio, "So it must be true!! :downs: "
Actually, they put a lot of thinking in how to sell the movie outside the US by exploding the country's beliefs. That gives them a few extra points.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Legion of One posted:

I know it's just supposed to be like
hey look at my lip theres un upside down cross up ins!

But I just see someone making the 'pussy eating' face instead. Suddenly, it's a comedy directed at college-age males.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Ugh...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Ugh...

That film was shot in 2008 and still isn't out.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Mister Chief posted:

That film was shot in 2008 and still isn't out.
Produced by Nicholas Cage, no joke.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Is that Ben Folds in the upper left picture?

The guy Murphy is getting touchy-feely with.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

AndyP posted:

Is that Ben Folds in the upper left picture?

The guy Murphy is getting touchy-feely with.

Nah, it's Clark Duke.

Legion of One
Feb 17, 2012

You know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun but we just don't have time for mucking about

I remember being told that one of the actors for this (i think it was Dane Cook) called it one of the most generic posters hes ever seen, think he used more Colourful language though.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Legion of One posted:

I remember being told that one of the actors for this (i think it was Dane Cook) called it one of the most generic posters hes ever seen, think he used more Colourful language though.

Awkwardly Photoshopped people and flowers? Check.

Random bold and light fonts? Check.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Legion of One posted:

How could anyone call such a bold deviation from the usual "the lone gender goes in the middle" rule of "three's company" posters generic...

Sadly enough, as seen with the 'A Dangerous Method' poster, this doesn't stop with love triangle movies...

Colin Firth seems predestined for those.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Also, this is a really lovely Aliens cover:

"This time it's w-HAT?"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

westborn posted:

How could anyone call such a bold deviation from the usual "the lone gender goes in the middle" rule of "three's company" posters generic...

I love both the randomly photoshopped in arms and the strange merging bouquets in the Accidental Husband poster, not to mention Uma 'Real Doll' Thurman. It legitimately frightens me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

That's a lot of Colin Firth.