Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Meldonox posted:

Sounds like a good opportunity to call in and bitch until I get a credit.

Tell us how it goes!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Meldonox posted:

Sounds like a good opportunity to call in and bitch until I get a credit.

Enjoy your 40 cents of credit!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, apparently Verizon has a device coming out in April called "DROID Fighter."

Now that is some confusing and contradictory branding. I can see the conversation now. It's like an Abbott and Costello routine.

Person A: "I'm going to get the DROID Fighter."
Person B: "Is that a Windows Phone?"
Person A: "No, it's android, it's the DROID Fighter."
Person B: "Oh, so AT&T is coming out with their own branded line of Android phones."
Person A: *hangs head*

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

bull3964 posted:

Now that is some confusing and contradictory branding. I can see the conversation now. It's like an Abbott and Costello routine.

Person B: "Oh, so AT&T is coming out with their own branded line of Android phones."
Its a bad name but it fits well with their insane commercials that don't tell you anything about the phone

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If I get/make a call before 9:01 pm and it carries on past that time, does all of the call count against my minutes, or only the portion before 9:01?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

hooah posted:

If I get/make a call before 9:01 pm and it carries on past that time, does all of the call count against my minutes, or only the portion before 9:01?

All of the time.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

This is all I could think of when I first saw that name.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

dominator posted:

Its a bad name but it fits well with their insane commercials that don't tell you anything about the phone

Yet they still sell poo poo loads so who cares!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yet they still sell poo poo loads so who cares!

Because Verizon has long ago figured out that 99% of sales are driven by "Ooh, shiny!"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kensei posted:

All of the time.

Well that's loving stupid. But exactly what I expected.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

"Ooh, shiny!"

I just had exactly this reaction to the Galaxy Nexus in a Verizon store. My 20 month upgrade just came up, and right on time, as the hardware buttons on my Droid X have completely stopped working.

I also checked out the Razr (maxx), iPhone, and Droid4, but had nowhere NEAR the gut "SHINY" reaction that the Galaxy Nexus gave me. That phone is seriously sexy, but I am somewhat troubled by the reports of connectivity problems associated with it. Neither Nexus in the Verizon store could connect to the internet, and that is maybe not so good.

Are those all worked out with this new (unpushed, unofficial) patch? I am super broke at the moment, so it's a little hard to think about spending $80 more (on Amazon) on the Gnex than the Droid4, but the fact that it currently has ICS and is the sexiest phone I've ever seen (I've got a huge hardware-on for it right now) is pretty convincing.

Basically, if those phones in the store had worked properly, I would be ordering the phone on Amazon right now, but I am a little nervous. Is anybody else having issues with 3g/4g service on their Gnex? Did dl'ing the new update completely assuage said issues?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

firebad57 posted:

Basically, if those phones in the store had worked properly, I would be ordering the phone on Amazon right now, but I am a little nervous. Is anybody else having issues with 3g/4g service on their Gnex? Did dl'ing the new update completely assuage said issues?

There are issues, and 4.0.4 doesn't completely fix them. You'll get Galaxy Nexus owners on both sides of the fence on this one, kind of like on XDA - you'll get people for whom everything works and people who are mad that people are complaining about something that'll "get fixed in software" and people for whom it was bad enough that they exchanged it for something else you'll get people who haven't had a Galaxy Nexus but are disenamored with the issues.

If you want a good smartphone that runs apps and has a good battery and radio, get a RAZR or RAZR MAXX. If you want a smartphone that runs ICS, get a Galaxy Nexus.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

firebad57 posted:

Verizon's network has been down in many places today. If you only tried to connect with the Nexus and not the other phones, that may be the explanation. If you didn't have connectivity issues with the other phones, welp.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Ciabatta posted:

Verizon's network has been down in many places today. If you only tried to connect with the Nexus and not the other phones, that may be the explanation. If you didn't have connectivity issues with the other phones, welp.

I should clarify that it seemed to be working on the other phones I tried in the store, and it was definitely working on my Droid X while I was in the store.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
I've had basically zero problems with my Galaxy Nexus since I got it on launch day. I've had maybe two random reboots but that's lower than the daily average for my old Droid X. It sucks that this isn't consistent for other people because I'm actually really enjoying this phone/ICS. The battery seems to mostly last from when I get up in the morning to when I go to sleep which is all I require out of a phone. The only other problem I have had is songs sampled at 48 kHz (or above, presumably) have a hissing/cracking sound when the screen is turned off. I uploaded those files to Google Music and then made them available for offline play which has worked out well. Didn't see the outage today in Columbus either.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I've had a great time with my Gnex too. It's the first smartphone I've owned, so I may have a rosier view of it than some may have, but I've been very pleased. A few minor bumps here and there, but nothing like the constant dropped calls, poo poo battery life, and buggy crashy OS I've always experienced with my old Motorola dumbphones.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
MOTO made one good dumbphone. The Motorola e815 was an amazing phone other than the drat charging connector. It kept a lot of my customers who had spotty coverage inside their homes from porting out.

TheSleeper
Feb 20, 2003

king of the bongo posted:

MOTO made one good dumbphone. The Motorola e815 was an amazing phone other than the drat charging connector. It kept a lot of my customers who had spotty coverage inside their homes from porting out.

That phone really was the poo poo. Till I upgraded to a martphone I never had another phone I liked as much.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Blargh, I had a crappy T720. I went a good four or five years with an LG VX8300 which served me very well and was easily the best dumbphone I had. Adequate sound quality, actually held a signal, a battery charge lasted more than a day with no use after a year, etc.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I went from a Moto V66 to a T720 (woo, detachable camera!) to a Sony Ericsson Z600. I think after the Z600 is when I made the jump to Windows Mobile and had pretty much been on the smartphone boat till I switched to VZW and had to use a KRZR which eventually turned into a Moto Q

Tmobile: Moto V66 > Moto T720 > SE Z600 > HTC SDA > Treo 600 > Some Motorola A780 > HTC Dash

Verizon: Moto KRZR > Samsung i730 > Motorola Q > BB Pearl > BB Curve > HTC xv6800 > BB Storm > OG Droid > Droid X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Edit: Holy phone junkie, 18 phones in the past 10 years.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 23, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I know this is a Verizon thread, but the best flip phone ever created was the Sprint Toshiba VM4050. Dat screen... :catdrugs:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Meldonox posted:

LG VX8300
Best phone I've ever seen. loving workhorse.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

LaptopGun posted:

I thought I'd give you guys a heads up. VZW.com (and only the website) put the Rezound and Spectrum onsale for $100 on contract. Sale applies to upgrades and new's. The website claims the sale will last until 2/28. I guess the buyers' preferences for the Nexus and both Razrs means VzW wants to move some other inventory. The online only sale is also in the same ballpark with Amazon and Best Buy.

gently caress. Literally got a Rezound for 200 in-store hours before seeing this. The rep did not mention this sale at all. Customer service is telling me they are powerless as it's an online-only deal and that I have to go back to the store tomorrow and grovel for a refund. What are my chances?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Convergence posted:

gently caress. Literally got a Rezound for 200 in-store hours before seeing this. The rep did not mention this sale at all. Customer service is telling me they are powerless as it's an online-only deal and that I have to go back to the store tomorrow and grovel for a refund. What are my chances?

Isn't there a 14 day return policy?

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Isn't there a 14 day return policy?

Yeah, but you pay 35 bucks. I would still save 65 but I'm hoping they would waive the return fee

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Got my GNex replaced today and the new one works like a charm. I used to say my work was a lead-lined building because with Sprint I had to stand by the southern-most window to get even one bar of service, but I wander around the building with a full 3G service on my GNex. Considering swinging into Verizon on Friday and grabbing the extended battery for $25.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

king of the bongo posted:

MOTO made one good dumbphone.

I really wish there was a dumbphone thread but my last attempts to create one ended with a whimper. I'm just a consumer, though, with no inside information. Is there anyone here in the business willing to make a legitimate thread?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Convergence posted:

Yeah, but you pay 35 bucks. I would still save 65 but I'm hoping they would waive the return fee

maybe push retentions to ask them to honor it?

Also, outside of chicago:

48ms ping, 33.3down /7.78 up. Why do I have a faster connection from work with my cellphone than at home with comcast? ugh. How much usage can you get by with via unlimited tethering before they'd probably end your plan? Seems I may as well go with it at this rate.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Mighty Horse posted:

Hate to break it to you and a LOT of other people I see posting on the internet..

The Nexus is not selling well at all. The general public couldn't give a poo poo about it.

Both Razr and Maxx on BOGO along with VZWs marketing demolished all other Android phones. Nexus at $300 on contract tends to turn off the average buyer. Perhaps the big Nexus fans already grabbed the thing.

Convergence posted:

Condolences man. Whatever happens I hope you like the Rezound.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Convergence posted:

Sucks but I doubt they will waive it, especially since they won't be "saving a sale." Up to you, but $60 is $60.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Welp, that didn't take long. As far as i can tell, the external speaker on my Razr Maxx (owned less than a month) does not work at all. Speakerphone makes no sound, phone doesn't play the ringtone when it should, Pandora and other apps that should make sound out of the speaker are silent. When i plug in headphones, it works just fine.

This better be covered by warranty or i'm going to take a poo poo on the floor of the Verizon store...

:argh:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Ernie Luckman posted:

Welp, that didn't take long. As far as i can tell, the external speaker on my Razr Maxx (owned less than a month) does not work at all. Speakerphone makes no sound, phone doesn't play the ringtone when it should, Pandora and other apps that should make sound out of the speaker are silent. When i plug in headphones, it works just fine.

This better be covered by warranty or i'm going to take a poo poo on the floor of the Verizon store...

:argh:

Man, that sucks. Good news is that it's pretty much a textbook case of why warranties exist. Depending on exactly how long you've had it, they might even just swap it out in the store.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Just got back from Verizon store. Warranty replacement. Somehow my impatient rear end justified paying $13 to get it shipped here on Monday instead of next Friday.

Annoying that i had to go through this but nice they were so quick to give me a new one. How long ago did they stop doing warranty replacements in store?

Totally unrelated but the lady helping me out told me they are doing open enrollment for phone insurance for the whole month of March. I don't know if this is nationwide or local, but seems like a good chance to get insured if you aren't already. I'm contemplating whether it would be worth it or not. $7 X 24 months is $168. Plus a $100 deductible on smartphones. Doesn't seem like a great deal but i'll think about it for a week i guess.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Ernie Luckman posted:

Just got back from Verizon store. Warranty replacement. Somehow my impatient rear end justified paying $13 to get it shipped here on Monday instead of next Friday.

Annoying that i had to go through this but nice they were so quick to give me a new one. How long ago did they stop doing warranty replacements in store?

Totally unrelated but the lady helping me out told me they are doing open enrollment for phone insurance for the whole month of March. I don't know if this is nationwide or local, but seems like a good chance to get insured if you aren't already. I'm contemplating whether it would be worth it or not. $7 X 24 months is $168. Plus a $100 deductible on smartphones. Doesn't seem like a great deal but i'll think about it for a week i guess.

Glad it worked out so well! I think they only do warranty replacements in-store if you're still within your return period, since they only stock new phones and you get a refurb if you're outside the return period.

I haven't had any experience with insurance, but a lot of goons have reported that outside insurance companies have better deals and policies than Verizon's partner (Asurion). Hopefully someone can weigh in on that. Just know that you DO have options even if you miss the Verizon window.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
I'm getting refurb as my replacement? Lame. Are there really even refurbs of the razr maxx yet? The drat phone hasn't even been out a month...

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ernie Luckman posted:

I'm getting refurb as my replacement? Lame. Are there really even refurbs of the razr maxx yet? The drat phone hasn't even been out a month...

Refurbs is their policy. It's quite likely it will be brand new, just with the barcode pasted over with a CPO barcode (the Charges the wife and I got in replacement for our Fascinates were like this).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ernie Luckman posted:

I never had to pay shipping on our warranty refurbs and they always came overnight.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

I never had to pay shipping on our warranty refurbs and they always came overnight.

I was going to say this. I've gotten a few things through the stores and no matter what it is they've always overnighted it. I think I've gotten a replacement phone, an extended battery and two phones they were out of and all were overnighted automatically.

Was it a corporate store?

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
It was a corporate store. They said the normal 5 day shipping would be free. My impatient rear end decided to drop $13 for the overnight. I know they used to do free overnight for new phones (phones i ordered online in the past came like that) but i know for this one (both initially and today for the warranty replacement), i had to pay for overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon's CPO polices changed last year.

5 day is now the standard shipping (not overnight) and no more in-store swaps.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/31/verizon-changes-certified-like-new-replacement-program-phone-protection-plans-now-a-must/

You also only have 5 days for the warehouse to confirm they got your device back now, so you better turn it around quick. Honestly, it's almost better to deal directly with the manufacturer now if you have a spare phone to use.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 24, 2012

• Locked thread