Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

thechalkoutline posted:

My buddy recently bought a '76 Honda CB550 SuperSport and had a mechanic give it a once over. He mentioned it needed new tires and gave a vague quote of ~$350. Half-rear end googling indicates that $150 per tire is 'normal'.

He's new and I don't even ride, I guess my real questions are 1) does that seem right and 2) are there any special considerations when buying tires for vintage bikes?

Also, bike looks like this:

High end tires, sure. But if we're talking Dunlop D404s or something, $350 is pretty steep even with the mounting service factored in. Sounds like the shop doesn't get a very good wholesale price, or they mark up the product considerably.

edit: And for what its worth, that bike probably doesn't need fancy tires.

For perspective, I can get high end Michelin dual compound tires for my Buell (which has a biggish 180 width rear) shipped from motorcycle-superstore.com and installed at a local shop for around $330-360 all in including labor.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

High end tires, sure. But if we're talking Dunlop D404s or something, $350 is pretty steep even with the mounting service factored in. Sounds like the shop doesn't get a very good wholesale price, or they mark up the product considerably.

edit: And for what its worth, that bike probably doesn't need fancy tires.

For perspective, I can get high end Michelin dual compound tires for my Buell (which has a biggish 180 width rear) shipped from motorcycle-superstore.com and installed at a local shop for around $330-360 all in including labor.

Thanks! Very helpful.

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 21, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There's tubes in that too though...count another $30-40 in that. Doesn't seem like a great deal but it's not highway robbery either. Might need bearings/other stuff that could be included in that estimate.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

thechalkoutline posted:

My buddy recently bought a '76 Honda CB550 SuperSport and had a mechanic give it a once over. He mentioned it needed new tires and gave a vague quote of ~$350. Half-rear end googling indicates that $150 per tire is 'normal'.

He's new and I don't even ride, I guess my real questions are 1) does that seem right and 2) are there any special considerations when buying tires for vintage bikes?

Also, bike looks like this:

1) You can almost always beat locally quoted prices for tires, but in cases where the savings are minimal, let the installer have the markup. He's performing a crucial service--the more incentive he has, the better. For indies, I'll even drop a tip for karma purposes and so they answer the phone next time I need a bike done.

2) Don't cheap out on tires or tubes, unless this is part of a stable and will rarely see the street.

3) Raised white letters if you're after historical accuracy, otherwise don't bother. I think there's a negligible price difference, maybe $5 each. Make sure you or they order correctly, typically the same p/n with -RWL

4) If you're up to the task, "off-bike" labor charges are significantly lower than "on-bike."

5) Great opportunity to do a wheel alignment. Most will just install the tires and call it good. Ask if this is part of their service.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
Maybe this is a "you need to man the gently caress up" post, but I ride to be happy, so here we go.

I'm still a fairly new rider, been riding about 6 months now. I've noticed on the occasions I'm on the bike for longer than 4-5 hours, my lower back starts getting pretty sore. I don't have any medicals problems or history of back problems.

Is this something that will go away with enough long rides? I'd like to ride home from Austin, Tx to Chicago this summer, but I don't want to be miserable every day.

Is this just something that the touring folks deal with?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

CombatMedic posted:

Maybe this is a "you need to man the gently caress up" post, but I ride to be happy, so here we go.

I'm still a fairly new rider, been riding about 6 months now. I've noticed on the occasions I'm on the bike for longer than 4-5 hours, my lower back starts getting pretty sore. I don't have any medicals problems or history of back problems.

Is this something that will go away with enough long rides? I'd like to ride home from Austin, Tx to Chicago this summer, but I don't want to be miserable every day.

Most people take breaks every hour or two. At least stand up on the pegs once in awhile.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I have lovely joints and assorted back pains, but motorcycle riding is one of the best isometric core exercises I can think of. Engage your ab muscles and glutes, relax your neck, bring your shoulders down and back, bring your weight down into your legs to whatever degree your bike's geometry allows, and keep it that way.

You'll need to spend some time getting in tune with your body to know what's good and what isn't. Try various curvatures of your back, different postures, etc., but whatever you do, use your muscles for support. Don't just slouch and put all your tension on the joints and ligaments.

It'll take some time if you're not used to listening to your body and working various muscles to figure out what's going to resolve the issue. If you and your bike are at all compatible, it'll get better with time if you just keep working at proper muscle support and posture. You'll build strength and all that.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 22, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
If my back get sore, I just lie down on the tank for a while. Then my chest gets sore from sitting on the tank, and I get back up.

Also I take breaks and dont ride for 6 hours straight.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

So i came out to go to lunch today and the instrument display wouldn't turn on nor would the bike start. Checked what i could but couldn't see anything wrong with the 0 tools i had to hand. Was about to push it up to the mechanics to get a charge on the battery when i tried again and everything worked fine. Whats really strange is the digital clock hadnt reset itself so there appears to be no loss of power.

Is this likely to be symptoms of something else? Or just the old KTM electrics?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

CombatMedic posted:

To a certain extent, the comfort/fatigue aspect will depend on your machine. Some are just better to you than others over the course of a long day. And there are usually things you can do to improve ergonomics - I used to get very sore shoulders on the vstar until I changed out the handlebar to move the grips down and aft by a couple inches.

Usually when I travel, I do 6-10 hours on the saddle per day. I hurt the first day but by the second, I've worked out body position options and developed proper nerve damage.

Take breaks. I extend every other gas stop or so with a quick break to stretch and get some water or coffee (in groups it's more like every stop because everybody has a different schedule/routine).

Also, when I do a big planned trip, I bring ibuprofen and start dosing as directed the day before. Dulls just enough pain without impairing the riding.

invision posted:

If my back get sore, I just lie down on the tank for a while. Then my chest gets sore from sitting on the tank, and I get back up.

Also I take breaks and dont ride for 6 hours straight.

This reminds me of a mildly-embarrasing moment on I84 westbound in the Columbia Gorge last summer. Was fighting a serious head wind without a windshield and was just having a miserable time of it. To lean into the wind I had my feet up on the passenger pegs in kind of a tuck, with the wind strong enough to support some of the weight of my body in an air cushion over the tank... until I passed a semi and hit the dead zone beside it. Wind disappears instantly and I whack my helmet on my gas cap. *WAKE UP, HELLO*

Aargh posted:

So i came out to go to lunch today and the instrument display wouldn't turn on nor would the bike start. Checked what i could but couldn't see anything wrong with the 0 tools i had to hand. Was about to push it up to the mechanics to get a charge on the battery when i tried again and everything worked fine. Whats really strange is the digital clock hadnt reset itself so there appears to be no loss of power.

My Buell does this. If I wiggle the key in the ignition, it will light up and work. This tells me I probably need to find a new ignition switch before too long.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 22, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

CombatMedic posted:

What bike are you on?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
The DRZ makes my rear end go numb after about an hr and a half of riding. I just stand up and stretch a bit or pull over and take a short rest.

On a side note, does anyone here love the "Mayhem" insurance ad with the custom chopper wreck? I laugh every time I see it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

CombatMedic posted:

In a word, no. MotoMind came up with some good points with some potential ways to alleviate pain. Mainly, using your legs to grip the motorcycle and always being cognizant of not putting your body into stressful positions.

My opinion on the matter is, nothing will help more than finding a variety of ways to sit on your motorcycle. Find slightly different places for your hands, sit on different parts of the seat, arch your back or stretch it out - basically, mix up your position every so often.

If your lower back is getting sore, my guess is that it's getting fatigued from supporting the weight of your torso. The problem may be with how you're sitting on the motorcycle, but it could also just be your fitness level. Unlike MotoMind, I don't think being on a motorcycle will get you in good shape, really - you'll need to put the work in off the motorcycle with core exercises to strengthen your back and abdominals (bodyweight stuff will work, no need for a gym if you don't want). I'm not a doctor and I don't know how in shape you are or how you sit on the motorcycle so I can't really get more detailed than that.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

The DRZ makes my rear end go numb after about an hr and a half of riding. I just stand up and stretch a bit or pull over and take a short rest.

You haven't mastered the one-cheek seating position to alleviate butt stress? :)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Aargh posted:

I had my Bandit's gauges off for weeks not connected to a power source. The clock didn't reset. (neither did the digital mileage either thank god) So don't rule out your battery.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

CombatMedic posted:

I think that unless you're on a purpose-built adventurer with insane range, most street bikes are going to need topping off at about the two hour mark anyway, assuming you're on open road. Walk around the Snappy Mart, observe the locals, look through the Merle Haggard CDs, update Facebook, go back to the bike with fresh legs. It's amazing how your faculties and reflexes are top notch again when you hit that onramp.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Ziploc posted:

I had my Bandit's gauges off for weeks not connected to a power source. The clock didn't reset. (neither did the digital mileage either thank god) So don't rule out your battery.

Every time ive had the clocks off to try another method of water sealing theyve reset.

Bike started super easily right after lunch so will double check before i head home.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

In a word, no. MotoMind came up with some good points with some potential ways to alleviate pain. Mainly, using your legs to grip the motorcycle and always being cognizant of not putting your body into stressful positions.

My opinion on the matter is, nothing will help more than finding a variety of ways to sit on your motorcycle. Find slightly different places for your hands, sit on different parts of the seat, arch your back or stretch it out - basically, mix up your position every so often.

If your lower back is getting sore, my guess is that it's getting fatigued from supporting the weight of your torso. The problem may be with how you're sitting on the motorcycle, but it could also just be your fitness level. Unlike MotoMind, I don't think being on a motorcycle will get you in good shape, really - you'll need to put the work in off the motorcycle with core exercises to strengthen your back and abdominals (bodyweight stuff will work, no need for a gym if you don't want). I'm not a doctor and I don't know how in shape you are or how you sit on the motorcycle so I can't really get more detailed than that.

You haven't mastered the one-cheek seating position to alleviate butt stress? :)

I do that for the first hour and a half. The stock seat sucks, a better one is on my list.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

I do that for the first hour and a half. The stock seat sucks, a better one is on my list.

Swapping the seat and/or doing something with the bars may help. A posture issue with the reach being too long / high / whatever may not be obvious in shorter rides. Maybe try sitting on the bike with your eyes closed and reaching for the bars and seeing where your hands end up relative to the actual grips.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

CombatMedic posted:

Ouch

I suspect a lot of this is due to the way your harley's ergos are set up. I have had similar problems riding cruisers. :( With your feet out in front of you, every bump and vibration from the road goes right into your rear end and lower spine.

The answer is to get up off the bike and move around more, do stretches at scheduled stops, etc.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Snowdens Secret posted:

Swapping the seat and/or doing something with the bars may help. A posture issue with the reach being too long / high / whatever may not be obvious in shorter rides. Maybe try sitting on the bike with your eyes closed and reaching for the bars and seeing where your hands end up relative to the actual grips.

I think I have the bars set to far back. When I got the bike they were to far forward so I set them all the way back. I think I'll rotate them forward a 1/2" and see how that helps.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

In my own anecdotal experience, a sore rear end is more likely pointing to a lovely seat or you being fat. A sore back could certainly have to do with that too, but I think points more towards overall geometry. You might want to try tweeking the bars as been mentioned if you can or even see if you can get risers.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

slidebite posted:

In my own anecdotal experience, a sore rear end is more likely pointing to a lovely seat or you being fat. A sore back could certainly have to do with that too, but I think points more towards overall geometry. You might want to try tweeking the bars as been mentioned if you can or even see if you can get risers.

I have a lot of tweaking I can do, but I don't usually ride for more than 30-45 minutes at a time. I like to get off the bike and take pictures, smoke cigarette's and take a whiz where I haven't whizzed before. My back doesn't hurt at all, just my rear end. I've lost about 120 lbs. over the past 3 years, I did it for a lot of reasons but motorcycling was a big one. So I don't think it's being overweight I just think(know) the DRZ stock seat sucks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Has anyone tried sheepskin pads? Thinking of picking one up before the eurotrip for improved butt comfort. There's a multitude between $30 and $50, any experiences?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ola posted:

Has anyone tried sheepskin pads? Thinking of picking one up before the eurotrip for improved butt comfort. There's a multitude between $30 and $50, any experiences?

You could just get some kind of chair pad instead of a moto-specific one. I've seen it done, it looks like poo poo but also looks extremely comfortable at the same time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I had a sheepskin thing on my Vulcan and I could go either way on it. I preferred the bead seat, it had numerous practical advantages over the sheepskin.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh yeah, beads. Beads for your butt. I've heard about those, supposed to be pretty good even though they look uncomfortable. Let my google tha...OH GOD

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ola posted:

Oh yeah, beads. Beads for your butt. I've heard about those, supposed to be pretty good even though they look uncomfortable. Let my google tha...OH GOD

Sonds like Safe search didn't protect Ola. Let that be a lesson against googling "butt beads".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or "butt" anything, really

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Ah yes, beaded seats. The choice of every cabbie ever and people from the eighties. It might just work.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I tried both, the Vulcan came with a sheep skin in the saddlebag, and I bought a bead seat in Sturgis. In the rain, the sheep skin gets wet and stays wet because it doesn't promote airflow. Beat seat separates your butt from the seat so the water just drains off, and since air flows through the beads, you dry out fast and never get a chance to to get all sweaty in the crack area.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Personally I think you need to exercise your touring muscles. I used to get all sorts of weird pains when riding the R6 long distances. After a few weeks I could stay on the bike forever and feel fine. Doing dead lifts and other exercises that work core muscles really helped too. I think many people blame ergos, boots, whatever when they are really just out of shape. Riding a motorcycle is somewhat athletic.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a lot of tweaking I can do, but I don't usually ride for more than 30-45 minutes at a time. I like to get off the bike and take pictures, smoke cigarette's and take a whiz where I haven't whizzed before. My back doesn't hurt at all, just my rear end. I've lost about 120 lbs. over the past 3 years, I did it for a lot of reasons but motorcycling was a big one. So I don't think it's being overweight I just think(know) the DRZ stock seat sucks.

Oh sure, I don't know what it is with OEMs but they can sure blow. Even on my Concours which is well, supposedly designed for touring made anything more than 1 hour brutal on my rear end. I know I'm not the smallest guy but I don't weigh 300lbs either.

I think I ordered up a corbin within 1 week of having it. Night and day difference.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

thechalkoutline posted:

Thanks! Very helpful.

I am really curious as to how much your friend paid and how many miles are on the bike, if you are still privy to the thread.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Anyone else have a problem with small bugs getting through the mouth vent at speed?

I've got a Shoei helmet, and if I leave the mouth vent open and ride through the countryside I invariably get bugs inside the helmet. Very distracting to have a gnat fly into your eyes at 60mph.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My three helmets (GMAX GM68S, Zox Genessis, and Vemar Jiano EVO TC) all have meshes (metal or plastic) underneath all the vents to prevent that from happening.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Geirskogul posted:

My three helmets (GMAX GM68S, Zox Genessis, and Vemar Jiano EVO TC) all have meshes (metal or plastic) underneath all the vents to prevent that from happening.

My Rjays has a plastic one as well, although it doesn't stop big juicy ones that explode from flowing through D:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This is true. I have forgotten about big ones, and have focused only on small ones. The big, juicy ones to tend to slip though, but that's not an issue of any helmet once you get to that scale.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

This is true. I have forgotten about big ones, and have focused only on small ones. The big, juicy ones to tend to slip though, but that's not an issue of any helmet once you get to that scale.

Yeah, just make sure your mouth is closed.

I consider myself lucky I keep my mouth shut most the time.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Shimrod posted:

Yeah, just make sure your mouth is closed.

Quite difficult when one is singing Sweet Caroline/Rocket Man/Walkin' After Midnight at the top of one's lungs. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

Quite difficult when one is singing Sweet Caroline/Rocket Man/Walkin' After Midnight at the top of one's lungs. :shobon:

True that.