Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Best boots ever to get on massive discount :D. 90% off since it was midseason. Nike T90 III

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

iajanus posted:

Best boots ever to get on massive discount :D. 90% off since it was midseason. Nike T90 III

They don't look very structurally supportive on the tip and that's important because I toe-punt a lot, but they look nice at least.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Hallowed Turban posted:

They don't look very structurally supportive on the tip and that's important because I toe-punt a lot, but they look nice at least.

That's a good way to be trained not to toe punt :)

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

iajanus posted:

That's a good way to be trained not to toe punt :)

Scored a hat-trick of toe-punts last weekend :D

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Toe punt owns. I always try to do it like Ronaldo in the 2002 world cup semi final :cool:

(I never pull it off though)

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

euroboy posted:

Toe punt owns. I always try to do it like Ronaldo in the 2002 world cup semi final :cool:

(I never pull it off though)

This, I've done a couple of quick toe punt passes but never have the accuracy to shoot w/ one

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Toe punts have always had a bad reputation, even when I played football as a kid but they are majestic. If I smack a ball with my instep I'll hit the ball a lot harder but nowhere near as accurate. That and you can get it away quicker. The 'left arm jab' of the soccer world if you will.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Scored with a toe kick from 20 yards last season. I got it centered with the goal and I didn't have time to push the ball away from me to get a good kick on it before the defenders would have closed down. I just turned to face the goal and toe kicked it at the goal as hard as I could while trying to keep it low. The ball knuckled in the air and the keeper couldn't read it. My favorite goal I've scored in 11v11 league play.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Instead of toe punting it angle your foot inside slightly so that it rolls off the outside of your foot. It's a lot more consistent that way and just as quick to do.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

The first goal I ever scored in a competitive game was a toe poke playing for my primary school team and I took in nice and early and beat the keeper when he didn't expect it, I still remember it, babbys first goal.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Scikar posted:

Instead of toe punting it angle your foot inside slightly so that it rolls off the outside of your foot. It's a lot more consistent that way and just as quick to do.
The ball was really far underneath me. I couldn't have generated enough power on this particular shot without moving the ball before kicking it with that technique.
Best way to picture it. Stand up straight with your feet about 5 or 6 inches apart. Imagine the ball in front of you a few inches from your feet lined up directly with the center of your body.....now kick the ball without readjusting the ball or your footing....
For where the ball ended up after my trap , it was absolutely the best way to kick it with the most speed on it. The real problem is where it ended up on my trap:(

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thirteenth Step posted:

The first goal I ever scored in a competitive game was a toe poke playing for my primary school team and I took in nice and early and beat the keeper when he didn't expect it, I still remember it, babbys first goal.

A toe poke is different than a toe punt though. A toe poke is something, like you said, to take the shot early because you don't need any back-lift on your foot and are usually just trying to guide the ball.

A toe punt is what the fat kid did in gym class to just kick the ball as far away from himself as he could so he didn't have to run.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I need some new astro-turfs but have no clue on what to get

Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.

Thirteenth Step posted:

Copa Mundials .jpg

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Not for Astroturf. FieldTurf, sure.

Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/adidas-Mundial-Astro-Trainers-Black/dp/B000G4OZ38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329948285&sr=8-1

Grievo
Jul 13, 2006

God.
Although you could also still wear the normal pair on astroturf, they grip just as well.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Shrapnac posted:

They look pretty cool. I take it you haven't used them yet?

Thirteenth Step posted:

Predators if you're a powerful shooter, Vapors if you're quick and light on your feet.

Just check Sports Direct online, usually £35 for either of those or F50s if you prefer those.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Hallowed Turban posted:

Predators if you're a powerful shooter, Vapors if you're quick and light on your feet.

Just check Sports Direct online, usually £35 for either of those or F50s if you prefer those.

I literally have no idea, not big on shooting really as I mentioned before itt but I just want something very grippy, and something that feels solid, a good all round boot.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Thirteenth Step posted:

I literally have no idea, not big on shooting really as I mentioned before itt but I just want something very grippy, and something that feels solid, a good all round boot.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-predator-absolado-trx-mens-astro-trainers-263054

Honestly, I'd just go for these. The boots Grievo posted are excellent but these'll do the job.

Comes in other colours, have a look at the website.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
Any advice on something I could use to relieve the pain in my arches? It feels like what plantar fasciitis sounds like, but I'm no doctor. (nor can I really go to one at the moment unless it's a major thing)

This seems like a relatively simple little piece that wouldn't get in the way of socks and shoes - http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Ne=178&N=4294960669+479&Product_Id=173577

But I also thought about some sort of neoprene foot sleeve. I have some shoes for play with decent arch support, but at work I have to wear dress shoes which have poo poo for support and I'm just left with an extremely sore foot.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Try doing the foam roller thing with a tennis/lacross ball. A big guide was linked above, that should help.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hallowed Turban posted:

Nope, got them today about a half hour before I had to head to work. Just tried them on and whatnot. Wore them around the house tonight when I got home from work and they're unbelievable comfortable. They're full kangaroo leather, unlike the similar Adidas Adizeros(formerly F50), which are only K-leather on the toe box, and weigh the same, 6oz(170g in Communism). The only issue I have with them is that I have to order them from the UK because Mizuno doesn't supply football boots to the US. I'm going to need to play in them for a month or so but if I like them as much then as I do now I'm going to seriously consider buying 2 or 3 more pair to have in reserve, and probably a soft ground pair if and when they do sell those.

Hallowed Turban posted:

Honestly the type of boot you buy doesn't really matter, especially buying into the brand marketing that "X player, wears these." The best advice anyone could give about buying football boots is "go to the store and try on a few pair."

I primarily played as a left back for the past five years(recently been switched to center forward but that's a whole different story) and wore, in order, Adidas F50s, Puma Kings, Adidas Predators, Puma King Execs(lightweight Kings), Predators again, Nike Total90 Lasers, Nike Mercurial Vapors, Nike Legends, Vapors, Legends, Puma Powercats, Predator X, Adidas Adizero, Adidas Adizero, and now the Mizunos previously posted.

I finally decided that I prefer wearing a lightweight, but also Kangaroo leather boot but it took me a long time. Everyone is different in what they prefer but it comes down to what you think is comfortable.

I'd also highly recommend that anyone stay away from the blade type molded studs if you're playing on field turf. They tend to catch much more easily and cause serious knee and ankle injuries. I stopped to cut while wearing blades on field turf and managed to roll both of my ankles at the same time. Rounded molded studs/triangular Adidas studs are much better for that kind of surface.

I know it's expensive, and at this point I'm rambling, but I'd really recommend, if you're playing on multiple surfaces that you buy boots for each surface. Not always a viable option if you're on a budget I know. Firm Ground boots with rounded studs are great on field turf, so that's two surfaces covered. Sloppy pitches really do benefit from soft ground studs, they're longer and bite in better. If you're still playing on old style astroturf I'm sorry but really turf bottomed boots are the only option there. That surface is just so unforgiving.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Goons, I need your help.

I am looking into getting into football, and I am trying to get cleats. The problem is, I wear the 9.5 wide shoe (American sizing) and I need to know if buying a 9.5 and just switching out the insert would help me, or if I should bump it up to a 10 or the like. The cleats in question are here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3467399&pagenumber=1#pti17 and this would greatly help me get the stuff I need and for cheap.

When I run, I use a 10.5, but I was told since I will be kicking the ball, this might cause some issues with all the extra space. Is there a simple solution for this? Or will I be needing to go to a specialty shop and paying 100-150 euro for a pair of cleats?

Edit: Also, what other gear am I going to need? I'm just kind of jumping into this, but I think I'm going to have a lot of fun. Also, instructional videos if any.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 23, 2012

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Soulex posted:

Edit: Also, what other gear am I going to need? I'm just kind of jumping into this, but I think I'm going to have a lot of fun. Also, instructional videos if any.

I can't speak to the rest of your post but I wholeheartedly recommend getting a good pair of shin guards. They're not overly expensive (at least in the UK) but they're lifesavers. There are two main types:

This style is pretty standard. You strap them on to your legs and pull your socks over to hold it in place (it'd be wise to get a proper pair of football socks as well, again they're not expensive at all.

These are your other option. See that bit at the bottom? It's an ankle support. The majority of the injuries I see are ankle related so for my money you want to have that. It will slightly restrict your movement but not overly and that's well worth it for avoiding, or at least greatly reducing the risk of, a major ankle injury.

You will get injured. It's the nature of the game. I can't count how many times I've had someone mistime a challenge and either full force kick me in the shin or fly in studs up into my leg and been saved by my shin guards. So I've been concussed and had broken toes, sprained ankles, pulled muscles and so on; I've never had a broken leg thanks to £15 of plastic strapped to my shin. Some people play without them and say it's fine but on a long enough timescale they'll regret it. Please don't take that chance.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Soulex posted:

Goons, I need your help.

I am looking into getting into football, and I am trying to get cleats. The problem is, I wear the 9.5 wide shoe (American sizing) and I need to know if buying a 9.5 and just switching out the insert would help me, or if I should bump it up to a 10 or the like. The cleats in question are here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3467399&pagenumber=1#pti17 and this would greatly help me get the stuff I need and for cheap.

When I run, I use a 10.5, but I was told since I will be kicking the ball, this might cause some issues with all the extra space. Is there a simple solution for this? Or will I be needing to go to a specialty shop and paying 100-150 euro for a pair of cleats?

Im not sure about your specific sizing questions but you should always get boots that are snug rather than too big. An boot with any maneuvering space will give you blisters immediately in places you didn't think you could get blisters in. Definitely don't get a 10.5. For reference, I wear a 12 for my regular shoes and running shoes and I wear a full size smaller for boots.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Soulex posted:

Goons, I need your help.

I have a wide foot also and have had some trouble finding good boots that let my foot flatten but don't leave any space in front of my toe - I was using Nike T90s for a bit because they have a more snub-nosed construction, went to Adidas and Pumas because a friend said they are a bit wider than Nikes generally, but really every boot fits differently - you'd do best to try them before buying them. Right now I'm using some Vapors that I got for free and hate because they are insanely narrow. Don't buy Vapors if you have a wide foot.

I'd recommend getting leather because it'll stretch better than the synthetic poo poo that F50s etc are made of, and whoever above said you don't want any extra space is right. Jogging about you just have a repetitive motion, but playing soccer you'll be cutting and stopping and twisting and leaping and such, so you want that boot to stick to your foot like it was sewn on (I made this mistake with my first boots, had a blister that ran from the front of my arch all the way up the side of my big toe to the toenail....like some terrible pale snake...)

My rule of thumb is to find a boot that fits snug enough that it's slightly uncomfortable, because you want them to stretch to fit your foot. When I get new cleats I usually force myself to put them on with two pair of socks and go juggle or something for a bit, just to start a stretch, and if they're still pretty tight I'll play casual or small-side with no socks (ew gross) for a week until they've stretched enough. Be sure you don't get some with a sole too small for your foot, 'cause that plastic ain't gonna stretch.

E:

Shrapnac posted:

Let us know how these work out? I've wanted to try some Mizunos for a while but it's hard to justify the shipping over the stupid pond, maybe a glowing review from a fellow forum user will tip the duck.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Soulex posted:

a size 3 football will do you the world of good in terms of touch and close control if you can find one cheap. Or even a tennis ball.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

a size 3 football will do you the world of good in terms of touch and close control if you can find one cheap. Or even a tennis ball.

Practice dribbling with a tennis ball?

Thanks for the advice all. I'll be going to a fitting store as soon as I recover from surgery. gently caress my weird feet.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Soulex posted:

Practice dribbling with a tennis ball?

Thanks for the advice all. I'll be going to a fitting store as soon as I recover from surgery. gently caress my weird feet.

Practising with smaller balls means that the bigger ones will seem giant and easy to get under your control. Just see if you can get one around your house knocking it from foot to foot without it touching a wall or something. We used to play 3 touch maximum with size 4 footballs in training and it really helps in matches.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Just scored a loving dream goal. I might as well retire now, I'll never top that in a million years.

I played up front alone, ran behind the defenders and got a long through ball ahead of me. The goalkeeper came out of the box and I just reached the ball with my left foot to control it and take it past him before I smashed it right in The Upper 90 with my right foot like a loving rocket from 18 meters or so.

It might have been the best goal scored in the history of the game. Shame it was only practice and we can't celebrate goals there but I did a little fistpump at least.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

euroboy posted:

Just scored a loving dream goal. I might as well retire now, I'll never top that in a million years.

I played up front alone, ran behind the defenders and got a long through ball ahead of me. The goalkeeper came out of the box and I just reached the ball with my left foot to control it and take it past him before I smashed it right in The Upper 90 with my right foot like a loving rocket from 18 meters or so.

It might have been the best goal scored in the history of the game. Shame it was only practice and we can't celebrate goals there but I did a little fistpump at least.

I scored an immense goal in a park game a few months back. I was up front and saw a long punt coming from the goalkeeper that I could just barely reach, so I jumped and just gave it a little flick with my foot, and ended up sending it right through the goalkeeper's legs for a brilliant goal. Then I turned around to celebrate and nobody had seen because they were all distracted at the other end--we were playing with two balls because there were a lot of people and they get bored easily, and everyone was paying attention to the other ball at the time.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

A thing about shin guards. There's a lot of people I play with that don't like the extra weight of shin guards, so they practice without them. In my opinion it's extremely wise to ALWAYS practice with your shinguards, just so your legs don't feel the extra weight in games. I actually practice with heavier shinguards than the ones I use for games.

A thing about cleats. It's always good to try them out if you aren't sure about sizing. Sometimes, I'll try a boot out somewhere, but leave and order it online if I can find it cheaper on the net. Certain brands do tend to behave certain ways in sizing. Nikes seem to always be too narrow for my feet. If you order cleats online multiple times, everyone at some point gets a pair that doesn't fit. Also, certain types of cleats are more brutal to break in than others. I've been using Adidas Tunits for more than a year now, but it took me a month to stop being rubbed raw on my achilles. I almost gave up on them, but I stuck with them and now they have been my favorite boot. Though, now I need to look to see if Adidas has a "tunit style" boot, but with permanent hard ground studs instead of replaceable studs(hence the name "tune it".)

A thing about ankle/arch pain. I have flat feet and every time I go just a couple weeks without serious running and then start running again I get serious pain. I'll have the pain until my ankle muscles get strong enough again to support the weight. The best way to fight ankle pain for me(non-injury pain) is to run through the pain while nourishing my body as if I were lifting weights, and then when the pain subsides don't let my body stay idle long enough for the supporting muscles to weaken again. It used to be a reoccurring problem every time a new season would start because I'd get lazy in the offseason.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Soylent Green posted:

These are your other option. See that bit at the bottom? It's an ankle support. The majority of the injuries I see are ankle related so for my money you want to have that. It will slightly restrict your movement but not overly and that's well worth it for avoiding, or at least greatly reducing the risk of, a major ankle injury.

You will get injured.

Not quite an hour after reading that i went outside to do some juggling/dribbling drills and rolled my ankle. Did it in pretty bad too, doing just routine stuff I do basically everyday. Just letting the new guy know it can happen whenever. You should really I think expect to be injured (minor) 2/3 times a year, more if you're like me.

That being said I successfully rounded the keeper in our 6 a side league game Monday, executed a step over to torch some chump before fooling the keeper and slotting it in near post, scored an inzaghi-esque poachers goal off my knee, and had a headed goal disallowed in what was probably my best match to date. A real hat trick hero in our 10-5 win. Note that I'm normally a defender and generally only play forward to hassle opposition high up the pitch if we have a lead, so that was something for me.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

euroboy posted:

If it was only practice then you have to consider no one was trying as hard as they could have, you cant even consider it a goal really

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
first goal in forever tonight, plus i got offered to join a local team for the spring. feeling pretty :smug: right now

also, my calves cramp every single week at the end of the night. tonight i tried stretching in between every game (we play 20 minutes on and 10 off for 2 hours), and i still cramped up in the last game. i eat a protein bar before i go play and drink gatorade throughout the night, what should i be doing differently to prevent this?

fat greasy puto fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 24, 2012

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

From my experience boots that are snug as socks are the way to go. I like forgetting I'm wearing them and just playing naturally. I've found that you just play more confidently and have less problems getting the ball to go where you want.

And as if excessive celebration isn't ok. My first senior goal ever (last year, moved from goalie to striker) was celebrated with a plane from goal line to corner post to halfway. With a lot of hugs and cheering from the team/fans. Awesome moment. You have to have some fun with it, as long as you don't act like a douche to the other team.

Mcnoob
Nov 17, 2009

"Team For The Future"
Played 5 a side today on the wing (I usually defend and hoof), sped past the defenders several times but ended up losing control and went too close to the byline out wide.

What are some exercises I can do to improve my touch?

Also missed a pelanty :negative:

Mcnoob fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Soulex posted:

Get a cheap beater ball and practice three things before you play:

1) Touch/Dribbling - practice moving the ball about with your feet
2) Wall pass - push pass against a wall with each foot.
3) Juggling - I'm terrible at this, ask somebody else.

Do all that for an hour each at least twice a week.

One thing I've learned over the last year: playing a lot will teach you 'how' the game is played, but unless you get a lot of time on the ball, you won't necessarily get better overall. You'll literally learn 10x faster by spending a few hours a week just getting used to the ball.

It will take you about 100 hours of ball work before you don't feel like an idiot, and at least 300 before others won't think you're one. That's actual time on the ball, not scrimmage time.