Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Summer can't come fast enough. :swoon: The only thing I don't like about the poster is how the "V" is just kind of floating there while the other letters are grounded, but that's just kind of nitpicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
While we're talking about it, here's the "Brave" poster that debuted a couple of days ago.

Like the last poster, the only bad part of it is the generic-as-hell tagline.

Legion of One
Feb 17, 2012

You know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun but we just don't have time for mucking about

I remember doing a cinema check when the trailer for this was playing and was thinking "wait what happened to Kristen Stewart?" great two snow white movies coming out about three months apart....i just know our customers are going to get the two mixed up and complain.
This poster looks like it belongs to a direct to DVD movie and the dwarf to her right looks board as hell.

Something about this poster just looks odd to me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Legion of One posted:

Giant Tayler Kitsch rises from the ocean only to get runover by a battleship!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Legion of One posted:

He's the second coming! He's running on water to protect human kind.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TontoCorazon posted:

He's the second coming! He's running on water to protect human kind.

Remember how John Carter is an immortal was sort of treated like Jesus by the oppressed Martians? This is the sequel to those books. Those aliens are Martians he defeated and are now out for revenge.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Legion of One posted:

[...]
This poster looks like it belongs to a direct to DVD movie and the dwarf to her right looks board as hell.
Seems appropriate, because the trailer looks like it belongs to a direct-to-DVD movie as well.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kurtofan posted:

That poster and the other ones : are going to be pulled after complaints.

This is from way back, but I can tell you that they've definitely not been pulled in Belgium, where they're up everywhere.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Legion of One posted:

She looks pretty happy for someone with no arms!
Although you can see her fingers on the shoulder of the dwarf with the beret.

quote:

In my case it's the Mona Lisa-esque expression on his face. I really have no idea what kind of emotion he's trying to portray there. He probably doesn't know either.

Edit: Mono Lisa doesn't care about your stereo sound!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 24, 2012

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Mierenneuker posted:

She looks pretty happy for someone with no arms!
Although you can see her fingers on the shoulder of the dwarf with the beret.

In my case it's the Mono Lisa-esque expression on his face. I really have no idea what kind of emotion he's trying to portray there. He probably doesn't know either.

Jesus, more like Picasso. One eye's angry and one eye's glad!

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

This is the Danish poster for The Descendants.

I've never seen so many ratings on a poster.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
George Clooney is so drat smug about his movie being highly rated.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

csidle posted:

Six stars?! Five hearts?! What the hell is going on in Holland??

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Man I don't get mondotees deal at all. They make these really beautiful, intricate, interesting posters and then limit it to runs of like, 400, which sell out in under a half hour of being put on their website, no reprints ever. They're missing out on a ridiculous amount of cash right there.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

zenintrude posted:

Six stars?! Five hearts?! What the hell is going on in Holland??

I hope this is an attempt at running that old joke into the ground, otherwise, gently caress you.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

"The script is stuffed with fantastic, acerbic one-liners which hang teasingly around the brain for days."

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

csidle posted:

The poster for Four Lions had the word "Funny" fifteen times, each from a different review, but this even has that beaten.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Remember how John Carter is an immortal was sort of treated like Jesus by the oppressed Martians? This is the sequel to those books. Those aliens are Martians he defeated and are now out for revenge.

If only :allears:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Flashing Twelve posted:

Man I don't get mondotees deal at all. They make these really beautiful, intricate, interesting posters and then limit it to runs of like, 400, which sell out in under a half hour of being put on their website, no reprints ever. They're missing out on a ridiculous amount of cash right there.

Just because something is commercial art doesn't mean the artist is in it solely for money, see Bill Waterston for example.

mousku
Jun 2, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

And this beautiful teaser poster for "Aladdin":

I love this poster but those hands seriously confuse me. Is the lower hand a hand-shaped stand for the lamp or is Aladdin's right hand just super short? Do the hands belong to two separate people? Have I missed something?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

mousku posted:

I love this poster but those hands seriously confuse me. Is the lower hand a hand-shaped stand for the lamp or is Aladdin's right hand just super short? Do the hands belong to two separate people? Have I missed something?
There's absolutely nothing confusing about that poster unless you're kind of slow.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

mousku posted:

Huh?

He's holding the lamp up with his left hand and brandishing it with his right. The rest of the character is out of the frame.

I feel like stupid for typing that out because it's so innately obvious as soon as you look at it.

Carwin
Feb 7, 2008

A hazard to himself and others.

the Bunt posted:

He's holding the lamp up with his left hand and brandishing it with his right. The rest of the character is out of the frame.

The perspective is totally wrong on those arms. You don't get the impression they're both attached to the same body at all. Just go ahead and try to arrange your forearms into a pose like that, with your upper elbow receding behind the lower while still touching an object held in the lower hand. It's impossible.

I agree it's a knit-picky poster to complain about on the grand scheme of terrible posters, but he's got a point. That anatomy is busted.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The anatomy is odd at worst. It's a pretty stupid criticism and post and this thread is full of them. These kinds of criticisms can and should be shot down.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

qntm posted:

The poster for Four Lions had the word "Funny" fifteen times, each from a different review, but this even has that beaten.

Yeah, but that one was obviously tongue in cheek. This one... this one is just plain ol' terrible.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
My favorite use of review quotes on a poster is from the movie If...
I can't seem to find it online, but if you have the Criterion edition, it's in the booklet.
One side has a list of quotes praising the film and the other has quotes calling the movie vile and whatnot. Somewhere on it it tells the viewer to see the movie and decide for them self.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Flashing Twelve posted:

30 minutes? Try 30 seconds.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

GonSmithe posted:

30 minutes? Try 30 seconds.

It's clever how it makes people watch the site like hawks and make snap impulse buys. They don't have to worry about stock piling up, but their prints are so nice I doubt that would happen anyway.
Looking at some of the ones I've missed though is bumming me out, guess I'll have to settle for rastering some of the higher res previewd.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Joe Der Maus posted:

I can't seem to find it online, but if you have the Criterion edition, it's in the booklet.
One side has a list of quotes praising the film and the other has quotes calling the movie vile and whatnot. Somewhere on it it tells the viewer to see the movie and decide for them self.

This isn't a poster thing, but the Matrix films did a similar thing with their commentaries. One commentary was two philosophers who really liked the films, and the other was two critics who thought they all sucked.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

Robert Denby posted:

This re-release poster for "The Lion King", a giant head poster done right:

And it actually makes sense because Mufasa is literally a giant floating head in one part.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Joe Der Maus posted:

My favorite film booklet is the one for the terrible, failed-He-Man-sequel JCVD vehicle Cyborg. Whoever wrote the booklet for it actually compares the movie to Kurosawa and Leone.

"...But Pyun had something Kurosawa never did: the cyborg!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Joe Der Maus posted:

Never saw this for a movie poster but I know for my copy of Wasp Factory by Ian Banks there are reviews on the book calling it the worst/vilest book ever produced.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Joe Der Maus posted:

Reminds me of this poster for Lost Highway.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Madkal posted:

Never saw this for a movie poster but I know for my copy of Wasp Factory by Ian Banks there are reviews on the book calling it the worst/vilest book ever produced.

I wish I'd paid attention to that blurb. That book was great but I really wish I hadn't read it.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

So I was just thinking about maybe buying a The Artist poster, and I see this on the page:

Am I missing something here? This is seriously garbage and I can't tell what it has to do with the movie at all.

edit- Just looked at the cast. Looks like it's in the wrong section. Either way, what a lovely poster.

I actually think it's great, it reminds me of surrealist automatic drawing.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

It seems the poster has a lot to do with this movie "The Artist", because according to imdb:"A male nurse steals some of one of his patient's drawings and makes money with them." It's a shame it has been over shadowed by the other movie,because I can't find many photos.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
From pages back, but regarding the Lars von Trier posters:

Wasn't there also a poster for Melancholia with text over the front of it, like Social Network-style? I seem to remember seeing it in the lovely Movie Posters Thread.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

This one?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

This one?

This trend is going to be one of those things we look back on in 10, 20 years and go "holy poo poo that is so 2010s," like flannel is to the 90s and cocaine is to the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Humboldt squid posted:

I actually think it's great, it reminds me of surrealist automatic drawing.

It immediately reminded me of Pink Floyds 'Meddle' album, which is a ear receiving sound waves underwater.