Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
SMH. Whatever. I'm just faceplaming because dude is basically screwed. I hope that random thinking bites Itagaki in the rear end late.r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

So right, I guess the reason Itagaki is "disappearing" is because Saeki has lost his ability to predict even what direction he's going to move in, so absolutely everything he does is taking him by surprise, hence he "vanishes" as Saeki has no idea what he's planning to do, so it's more like metaphorical that he's "on another level" and Saeki can no longer "see" his actions.

Probably.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I have to admit, that huge pull back into the ropes to avoid the jaw hit was pretty awesome, but this fight has still gone to crap.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Honestly, I want to like this fight, but the pacing is absolutely killing me. Stop endlessly explaining EVERYTHING, Morikawa, let the goddamn story do that for you. I got what was happening last chapter, there's no reason to keep repeating what we learned a chapter ago over and over.

I mean, okay, I'll be charitable and say that you're doing this deliberately, so as to show us Saeki's confusion. But loving hell, you really suck at it. All you need is one good reaction shot of his confusion, and wham, point made.

But no, gotta milk that cow till it's udders are raw and bleeding, right? :suicide:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I wanted to write something witty about how loving much does this fight (and manga) suck but I just cannot find the words. Could you guys imagine this poo poo animated? with the moon-walking, the whatever shuffle and those gecko eye movements? Ugh.

At least RRR continues to be excellent.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

^Do people seriously think RRR is still "excellent" ?

The only thing it has over Ippo for me is that it's newer. Remember, everyone loved Ippo for like at least 500 chapters.

RRR was interesting early on, but now to me (I'm just reading the scanlations, no idea how far the raws go) it's simply going through character stereotypes that I've already seen done to death in Ippo already, so it's not really that exciting. I don't think the author is unoriginal, it's just probably hard to do anything in a boxing manga that hasn't already been in Ippo. I preferred the idea that it would never become a "serious" boxing manga.

E.g. Guy in last few chapters I read (70-72 or something) is Bryan Hawk. The main character being a southpaw was predictable for a while in advance and basically he's going to be Randy Boy Junior.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 16, 2012

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
So, he's back into godmode. Awesome. Good job, Morikawa, you genius, you've done it again.

Also, I have to say that I had no loving clue what they were talking about when they said the Ali Shuffle. I then looked it up, immediately recognized the movement they meant and was just amazed that that was how he chose to depict it. It looks more like Itagaki is trying to squish a bug.

Mr. Deathy posted:

RRR was interesting early on, but now to me (I'm just reading the scanlations, no idea how far the raws go) it's simply going through character stereotypes that I've already seen done to death in Ippo already, so it's not really that exciting. I don't think the author is unoriginal, it's just probably hard to do anything in a boxing manga that hasn't already been in Ippo.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it because it's throwing occasional curveballs, but I'm seeing major Ippo flashbacks there (big guy, long arms, uses Flicker jab; super awesome douchebag instinctive fighter, gives no fucks). I want to think the author can do it well, but I keep thinking it's going to be more of the same eventually. On the upside, the translators have been on a roll for the last few weeks and it has been updating almost daily.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 16, 2012

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Mr. Deathy posted:

So right, I guess the reason Itagaki is "disappearing" is because Saeki has lost his ability to predict even what direction he's going to move in, so absolutely everything he does is taking him by surprise, hence he "vanishes" as Saeki has no idea what he's planning to do, so it's more like metaphorical that he's "on another level" and Saeki can no longer "see" his actions.

Probably.

You probably put more though in this than Morkiawa has.

Dude's probably just really loving fast. Like DBZ fast.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Will Ippo ever be good again?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Deathy posted:

^Do people seriously think RRR is still "excellent" ?

Right, "Excellent" is too much for it (since I had just finished reading Ippo it seemed like a thousand times better) but even now that it is more of a regular boxing manga it is still compelling. The new guy is indeed too close to Brian Hawk for its own good.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
gently caress these past 2 chapters. My guess is this is Itagaki going real low. Morikawa is telegraphing the left/right thing so much it seems like this is the direction he's going in. It's like this fight is being stolen from me. It went from entertaining to poo poo at the speed of Itagaki.

edit.. That's what this thread should be called now. "Entertaining to poo poo at the Speed of Itagaki"

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
To be fair, I'd really like to see this fight animated. The way the manga presents it, it seems like itagaki starts moving like a chameleon with all of his body parts independently, does a moon walk, and then literally disappears. That is the most hilarious concept I have ever heard of in a fighting manga.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm kinda at the point where I hope Itagaki wins just so I can just throw up my hands in surrender and walk away from the book.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I do like how itagaki's fighting style now consists of him looking like he's having a seizure.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 18, 2012

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

WeaponBoy posted:

Yeah, I'm enjoying it because it's throwing occasional curveballs, but I'm seeing major Ippo flashbacks there (big guy, long arms, uses Flicker jab; super awesome douchebag instinctive fighter, gives no fucks). I want to think the author can do it well, but I keep thinking it's going to be more of the same eventually. On the upside, the translators have been on a roll for the last few weeks and it has been updating almost daily.

Yeah I just realized that the new dark-skinned guy in RRR is basically Takamaru, except not nearly as funny so far.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Speaking of RRR...

http://www.mangareader.net/rrr/79

OH GOD EVERYONE IN THAT CROSSWALK BETTER BE FINE :gonk:

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 22, 2012

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Mystic Mongol posted:

Speaking of RRR...

http://www.mangareader.net/rrr/79

OH GOD EVERYONE IN THAT CROSSWALK BETTER BE FINE :gonk:

Iwamaki's next opponent is basically Ippo.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Who cares about Ippo?

http://www.mangareader.net/rrr/80

:v: There's a murder mystery afoot!

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

New chapter out

The fact that Itagaki has been wailing on Saeki for a few chapters now makes me hope that there will be another twist to the fight, but I'm not sure why it would matter since Itagaki's going to win anyways.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hortism posted:

New chapter out

The fact that Itagaki has been wailing on Saeki for a few chapters now makes me hope that there will be another twist to the fight, but I'm not sure why it would matter since Itagaki's going to win anyways.

The thing that sucks the most about how this manga has been going is that the last 7-8 chapters could have been shrunk into 2 and virtually nothing would have been lost from the story so far.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Breaky posted:

The thing that sucks the most about how this manga has been going is that the last 7-8 chapters could have been shrunk into 2 and virtually nothing would have been lost from the story so far.

This. Oh my dear lord, this. I don't mind fluff if it's good. I don't mind dragging out fights if it gives me insight into characters. But this poo poo, this is just dragging things out for no good reason.

Just end this fight in one or two more chapters, and I'll be moderately happy. It should have ended a long time ago, but I'll take it ending in one or two more chapters.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
If the fight takes 10 chapters total then that's not too horrible. What really pisses me off is that Aoki and Kimura's fights are going to be far shorter.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ANIME AKBAR posted:

If the fight takes 10 chapters total then that's not too horrible. What really pisses me off is that Aoki and Kimura's fights are going to be far shorter.

There were 2 entire chapters that showed literally nothing other than Itagaki and Saeki speeding up during the fight.

Then 2 chapters that were solely there to explain that doing the Ali shuffle and shiratori made Itagaki relax. I honestly got more than halfway through the 2nd of each of these chapters before I could be sure that it was in fact a new chapter that week and not just a goof with an update.

I mean... they could have done all of that in less than the span of 1 chapter and not have lost anything. There's nothing major that's changed with Itagaki, no big character development, no real drama either and its taken 2 months now to get that far.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Itagaki will probably still win but because Saeki got all defensive in the 4th round, he didn't beat Ippo's time and he'll be a Debbie Downer about it. Bonus points if the reporter writes something to that effect in the magazine.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Who cares about Ippo?

http://www.mangareader.net/rrr/80

:v: There's a murder mystery afoot!

http://www.mangareader.net/rrr/84
Iwamaki makes Ippo his bitch.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
85 and 86 also dropped of RRR, and I think we all saw the plot twist coming.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010

Soth posted:

85 and 86 also dropped of RRR, and I think we all saw the plot twist coming.
Yeah I saw it coming, but I was hoping it wasn't going to be like that.
I wanted them to get along,he seemed like a nice enough kind of guy when they drove together

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, that plot twist is dumb. It's a small (boxing) world after all.

As for Ippo, I think I have never cheered for a character as much as I am cheering for Saeki right now. I know it's pointless because wonder kid cannot possible lose but my hate keeps me reading.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
They might do the old cliche retwist where it wasn't actually him, but he was being a douche about it anyways.
I kind of hope they do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its just setting up for Rikitarou's first kill/crippling like Ippo does

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

Its just setting up for Rikitarou's first kill/crippling like Ippo does

Or just setting up Ricky to lose, have the guy laugh, spit on him as he gets out of the ring and walks off scott free living a rich mans life with plenty of hot bitches. Thus making this the most :smith: ending to a manga ever.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
87 and 88 are out too. Unsurprisingly, Riki's going to try killing the guy in the ring. Also, in more cliche acts of villainy Asahina beats up a friend!

Soth fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 2, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If this actually ends with Rikitarou killing Ren in the ring and then thats it its pretty ballsy There is only 1 more volume to go after this one as well so not much left.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Man, RRR is really solid, and it's a shame that we're only discussing it as an aside in the Ippo thread. Then again, if there's only one more volume, I guess an RRR thread would be overkill.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Ladies and gentlemen, another chapter of the manga we all love to hate.

Another chapter of bullshit. Like, it's not enough establishing that Itagaki is super-hyper-max fast, now he needs hypersense! Jesus christ, I don't even...:psyboom:

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

pnumoman posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, another chapter of the manga we all love to hate.

Another chapter of bullshit. Like, it's not enough establishing that Itagaki is super-hyper-max fast, now he needs hypersense! Jesus christ, I don't even...:psyboom:

I hope Itagaki suffers a stroke in the ring and becomes paralyzed. Out of all the things that have been leeching all enjoyment from this manga, from the lousy Takamura fights to the gimmick opponents, he is the biggest black mark to the series with his God-Modding bullshit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Itagaki: Worse than Woli.

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
no way, Woli was soooo much worse.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Counterpoint: Woli is gone now. Itagaki has shown no signs of going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
This is barely about boxing anymore. Morikawa long since ran out of interesting boxing things to talk about so now it's just a long string of increasingly stupid visualizations of SUPER AWESOME BOXERS. I don't even give a poo poo about the characters since not a single one of them has developed at all in years.