Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

DicktheCat posted:

Hey, guys, I need some advice regarding a new corgi in my house.

He's been a really great dog, but I don't quite know how to go about training him. I've checked out the training megathread, which has lots of good information, but he's not responding to many conventional techniques. He's not like any other dog I've ever been around, and I've raised quite a few of them in the past.

Clicker training is definitely amazing, and if you're not trying this already, you should.

DicktheCat posted:

Rusty (the dog in question) also seems to see me as the alpha of the house. This is a problem, as he's my roommate's dog. My roomate is gone most of the time at work, and on top of this, he has a more submissive personality than I do.

Most modern dog trainers don't believe in alpha/ submissive/ dominant theory any more. What is he doing that makes you think he is seeing you as the alpha? It could be that he is less bonded to you than his owner, so he's more scared of you and therefore will "listen" to you more, whereas he's more comfortable around his owner and may test boundaries if he's not getting thorough enough training. Here at PI most people will tell you that positive reinforcement is the best way to go-- reward the dog for things he does well and be kind to him- "submissive personalities" from humans won't factor into this as long as the training is clear. Go to the training megathread and ask questions there if you need to, there are a lot of people who really know their stuff.

DicktheCat posted:

I've read the OP, and I've noted that herding dogs need tasks to do around the house. Does anyone have any examples of tasks I could give him, or what kind of games are good to play with herders? Apparently tug isn't so good for them as puppies, as they go from tug to tear-the-poo poo-out-of-your-hands.

We got a Kong Wobbler and feed our dog all his meals from that or from clicker training. We also do agility training with him which he loves. One of his favorite games inside the house is "go to your bed/ crate" - he really likes being told where to go and will run as fast as he can to get there and lie down for a treat. One thing a lot of herding dogs like is balls to push around- look up Treibball, it's pretty cool. Also fetch is always fun and awesome.

Tug is fine as long as you have specific rules for it. Make sure you stop as soon as you feel teeth on/near your hand. Tug starts when you say it starts (don't let him grab the toy until you say "go get it") and stops when you say it stops (say "drop it" or let go immediately if you feel teeth). Also don't let it go on for so long that he gets super aroused/worked up by it-- if he starts to growl a ton, shake the toy back and forth, etc then just drop the toy and the game is over. If you set rules and boundaries for the game it can be very tiring, fun, and a good lesson for him all at the same time. We play tug with our dog a lot.

As for jobs- a lot of corgis will turn into watchdogs and will bark if something is amiss around your house. Ours was getting pretty neurotic about it in an apartment building but now we're out in the country more and he'll bark at appropriate things like large animals in the backyard or people coming and going on our property (we share a back field with a landscaping nursery so there are often people/ trucks out our back window). We try to discourage it if he gets really worked up, but usually we'll go to the door, say thank you for letting us know, and go back to our work-- it gives him a job to do and as long as it's appropriate it's fine.

DicktheCat posted:

He's really sweet despite what I've said here. The problem is that I've never raised a herd-dog. All my dogs have been things like retrievers or other kinds of hunting dog. He's incredibly intelligent, but he seems to use his intelligence to break the rules we've set out for him!

How old is he? What is he doing that you don't want him to? How much time are you putting into training and what are you expecting from him? Are you giving him alternative things to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

DicktheCat posted:

He's incredibly intelligent, but he seems to use his intelligence to break the rules we've set out for him!

Corgi.txt

Seriously, that should be the entire OP basically.

Plus_infinity basically summed up very well all the salient points, I'll just add that tug is an amazingly awesome game that has been a life-saver with my own corgi and installing a soft mouth on her. It's a good way to burn excess energy at the end of the day and an even better way to teach the Rules of the Mouth (too much mouth pressure = game over sorry the end). It also makes for some entertaining photos.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the advice! As I said in my original post, I've looked through the training thread before, and have been going back for resources, there, too. I'm glad to get input from people who also have this type of dog.

The way dogs are trained these days is a little different than they used to be!

Plus_Infinity: the reason I said "alpha" is that he will follow my orders, won't bite me, and comes and cuddles up to me on his own rather than being called over. He kind of rejects his owner. I'm not sure what words to use in regards to dogs, I guess. :blush:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
More Corwin photos! These are from back in September, when we took a backpacking trip in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. This actually might have been when he hurt his leg (he's currently limping) although it was fine until we recently went to the beach and he wore himself out.

Our Corgi Backpack Experiment = FAILURE. The backpack made him too wide to fit through openings that taller dogs could just step over. It got filthy, wet, and torn by the second day. Plus, it made him really depressed to wear it.

So sleeeeepyyyy.... he falls asleep on a rock:

He's smug:

Edit: Oh poo poo, I forgot the best two:

Wonder Bra fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 23, 2012

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Wonder Bra posted:

More Corwin photos! These are from back in September, when we took a backpacking trip in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. This actually might have been when he hurt his leg (he's currently limping) although it was fine until we recently went to the beach and he wore himself out.

Corgi backpack experiment = FAILURE. The backpack made him too wide to fit through openings that taller dogs could just step over. It got filthy, wet, and torn by the second day. Plus, it made him really depressed to wear it.

So sleeeeepyyyy.... he falls asleep on a rock:

He's smug:

Oh poo poo, I forgot the best two:

Corwin is the cutest god drat dog. I want to rub his fuzzy ears so bad. I love that last picture, it's pretty much Corgi.jpg there. How old is the little stump-legs now? :3:

edit: I hope his leg is gonna be okay! :ohdear:

edit 2: I was gonna say something about a cast, but then I noticed '4 miles a day' :catstare: I think if I had a corgi, I would die trying to keep it happy and tired.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 23, 2012

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Bash Ironfist posted:

Corwin is the cutest god drat dog. I want to rub his fuzzy ears so bad. I love that last picture, it's pretty much Corgi.jpg there. How old is the little stump-legs now? :3:

edit: I hope his leg is gonna be okay! :ohdear:

He's, hmm.... A year and a half, just about. We went on this hike after his first birthday, which may have been too soon, but we only did 4 miles a day, which isn't a lot considering his activity level. I hope his little leg is OK, too. I really don't want him to have to have surgery.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Wonder Bra posted:

He's, hmm.... A year and a half, just about. We went on this hike after his first birthday, which may have been too soon, but we only did 4 miles a day, which isn't a lot considering his activity level. I hope his little leg is OK, too. I really don't want him to have to have surgery.

Pepper was showing the same symptoms, albeit in her rear left limb. She partially tore her CCL at the dog park (she got flipped and rolled on when running around) or when she hit her rear leg jumping over some landscaping stones (which were approximately 4-6" high) and took an awful tumble. We don't know exactly how she hurt her leg, but I'm pretty sure it was one of those two occurrences.

As a result, she had to have TPLO surgery. Obviously, there will be some differences, as your puppy is seeing lameness in his front limb, but I would think that the process would be pretty similar.

First visit to vet: Rest and Rimadyl for a week or two. Pepper showed little improvement, so we scheduled the 2nd visit.

Second visit to vet: X-Rays and referral to Orthopedic Surgeon

Third visit (first to OS): They took her for the whole day, examined her range of movement, made their diagnosis. Partial tear of her CCL ligament.

At this point, we had to make a choice. Since it was a partial tear, Pepper wasn't overweight, and the only symptom now was a slight limp, we could try and see if it would heal on its own, or, we could go ahead with the surgery.

Because Pepper was so young (she was just under 3 years old), we opted for the surgery. We didn't want to risk her further damaging the ligament, or possibly tearing the other ligament as a result of her compensating for the lame limb.

Fourth visit (second to OS): Surgery day was successful, and we started the 6 months of healing along with tramadol (for pain), carprofen (anti-inflammatory), and an antibiotic were perscribed as well. No stairs for 6 months, little to no movement for a few weeks, and leashed at ALL times when outside to go to the restroom. The E-collar had to stay on for a few weeks as well.

Here she is the day we brought her home

Fifth visit (third to OS): This was (I believe) her 8 week checkup. The Surgeon was surprised to see Pepper advance so fast. He estimated she was about a month or so ahead of schedule with her healing. We waited the full 6 months until we felt comfortable letting her roam free.

Sixth visit (final to OS): The surgeon was pleased to see Pepper had done so well. While she doesn't have the upper limit of her top speed, she still gets around pretty quickly (probably about 95% of what she was).

Final thoughts: About $3,600.00 later (total of all visits), we have a fully repaired corgi. Loki is showing the same signs as Corwin (slight limp in the front after running/lots of exercise) and he seems to bounce back after a day or so of some good rest. If it develops into something where he is limping without the running around, we will go to the vet. Let us know how things go.

Cheerful and back in action. Time warp puppy is in the background

Who is that handsome devil? That would be Loki, whose name is aptly fitting

I'm still experimenting with picture/file size, so bear with me. Sorry if I gently caress anything up

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

ButWhatIf posted:

Pics from the corgi meetup! Neige had a really good time playing with all the other dogs.

Goin' for a paddle with a Lab, not so sure about this lake business.

Herd o' corgis!

You, uh, got any food up there?

Following the leader.

CHASING THE LEADER OMG

CHASING CHASING CHASING THIS IS THE BEST

Neige met her grandfather Truman!

She was less interested in this than I was.

EDIT: jesus christ tables

Someone made the news:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

londerwost posted:

Someone made the news:

whoa

whoa

WHOA!

Where was this? Holy crap, that is awesome! My dog was on the news??

EDIT: derp I did not notice the picture was a link. Still, freaking awesome!

Cissa
Sep 23, 2007
One Lucky Duck
Does anyone have experience with Shelties? I currently have a two-year-old Sheltie and I would love to get her a sibling. She gets along really well with two Corgis in the neighborhood, but that is no indicator of how they would live together.

On one hand I'm worried about omgexcitementenergy from both of them, but Pepper is really laid back. Is she likely to rub off on a Corgi, or is the Corgi excitement more likely to rub off on her?

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.

Cissa posted:

Does anyone have experience with Shelties? I currently have a two-year-old Sheltie and I would love to get her a sibling. She gets along really well with two Corgis in the neighborhood, but that is no indicator of how they would live together.

On one hand I'm worried about omgexcitementenergy from both of them, but Pepper is really laid back. Is she likely to rub off on a Corgi, or is the Corgi excitement more likely to rub off on her?

One of my co-workers has a shelty and a corgi. The corgi basically is owner of the house and occasionally puts the shelty in her place. They said they've had to separate them a few times, but the corgi has really bad protective issues around what he considers his home, and he was around first, so if you get a corgi it would probably be OK but you'd just have to look out for dominance issues.

Some corgis (like the couple we have) are super friendly around other dogs. It really just depends on the particular corgi :)

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Today is Neige's 7 monthiversary! Happy Neigeday to everyone!

This means, of course, that she's going in for her spay next week (which I am still nervous about, but it's gotta be done :ohdear:). I'm curious if she'll be up for a meetup on March 11. Is 6 days enough recovery time before going to play with her friends, or should I wait until one of the next ones roll around?

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

ButWhatIf posted:

This means, of course, that she's going in for her spay next week (which I am still nervous about, but it's gotta be done :ohdear:). I'm curious if she'll be up for a meetup on March 11. Is 6 days enough recovery time before going to play with her friends, or should I wait until one of the next ones roll around?

Obligatory ask your vet, but I'd wait. Roughhousing with other dogs (or even just running around with them) runs a lot higher risk of pulling stitches and causing all sorts of issues.

Nova took about 3-4 days to even be back to herself, really. Better safe than sorry, right?

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

ButWhatIf posted:

I should really find out about these meet ups. I'm sure Josie would be stoked to run around with dogs her size.

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.

londerwost posted:

I should really find out about these meet ups. I'm sure Josie would be stoked to run around with dogs her size.

Corgi's R Us - Kirkland is the one we occasionally go to: http://www.meetup.com/corgi-102/

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

londerwost posted:

Y'know, I thought Neige would prefer it too, but at the last one, she kind of did a lot of circling the outskirts of the group. She seemed to prefer to try herding the Labs around instead. Corgis. :iiam:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'm not usually too ga-ga over corgis because I think they tend to look wonky, but Corwin is the cutest corgi. I love his coloring and he seems to "fit" his body more I guess? I don't know. He is great. :3:.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kerfuffle posted:

I think they tend to look wonky

This is 73% of the reason to own one.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Kerfuffle posted:

I'm not usually too ga-ga over corgis because I think they tend to look wonky, but Corwin is the cutest corgi. I love his coloring and he seems to "fit" his body more I guess? I don't know. He is great. :3:.

Aww, thanks! Trust me, he still looks wonky (like his giant head and short legs!) but he definitely is a different shape than many corgis we meet. He's 33 lbs now, and much longer and huskier than most other corgis around here. He's a Dire Corgi, we think.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wonder Bra posted:

Aww, thanks! Trust me, he still looks wonky (like his giant head and short legs!) but he definitely is a different shape than many corgis we meet. He's 33 lbs now, and much longer and huskier than most other corgis around here. He's a Dire Corgi, we think.

Our Dexter has trimmed down to 35 lb... from over 40. He is the biggest in-shape Corgi I know. Dewey, on the other hand, is full grown and from great stock, and barely tops 20. We figure we're due for a normal-sized one if we get another.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Fryhtaning posted:

Our Dexter has trimmed down to 35 lb... from over 40. He is the biggest in-shape Corgi I know. Dewey, on the other hand, is full grown and from great stock, and barely tops 20. We figure we're due for a normal-sized one if we get another.

Show me a picture of your giant and tiny corgis together!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wonder Bra posted:

Show me a picture of your giant and tiny corgis together!

Dex, Dewey, and Dewey's litter mate, Dash (who our best friends have). Dash is a perfect 27ish lbs to split the diff.

Dex, Dash, Dewey.

It's nonstop energy when those 3 get together...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Taziki is so much smaller compared to Pita. Pita is this big broad tank at 36lbs and Taziki is really sleek and tiny at 24-26lbs. Just the way they are.

I was really proud of them. We had a 9 week old over our house and they both licked him to death and were in love with him. No aggression towards him at all.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

The Dave posted:

Taziki is so much smaller compared to Pita. Pita is this big broad tank at 36lbs and Taziki is really sleek and tiny at 24-26lbs. Just the way they are.

I was really proud of them. We had a 9 week old over our house and they both licked him to death and were in love with him. No aggression towards him at all.

24lb is perfect for a male or a female. For "tiny" please direct your attention to my prior post to observe the dog that got the hell praised out of him for finally tipping the scales at 20.1lb at the vet last month.

There is something about Corgis and little kids. Ours are jumpy hyper brats around adults, but around anything under 4 feet tall, they turn into a pile of mush and carefully submit themselves, on their back, at the kid's feet.

Wait, were you talking about a human or a dog?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

Wait, were you talking about a human or a dog?

Haha it was a human baby.

EDIT: Actually I posted an image of it on the dogs' blog. (Tazikiworld.com)

The Dave fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 29, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I remember Butters being only 15 pounds or so when he was a year old. About six months later he had nearly doubled that; his frame finally started to expand out (plus my girlfriend runs him 20-30 minutes a few times a week so he's pretty muscular)

Pictures this weekend after my girlfriend dumps him with me to spend her spring break at Harry Potter World without me :gbsmith:

VV Butters has no idea what to do with thrown tennis balls either! Glad my dog's not the only dumb one.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 1, 2012

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I remember Butters being only 15 pounds or so when he was a year old. About six months later he had nearly doubled that; his frame finally started to expand out (plus my girlfriend runs him 20-30 minutes a few times a week so he's pretty muscular)

Dewey's at 22 months now, so he's pretty much locked in for the long haul unless we start fattening him up or something. He is so ridiculously more athletic than Dexter. He can jump like a kangaroo and can beat Dexter to a thrown tennis ball even when giving Dexter a head start. Luckily he doesn't give a poo poo about the ball itself so he lets Dexter retrieve it 90% of the time.

I've literally seen him do a backflip, it's ridiculous how fast-twitchy that dog is.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I was convinced Nova had stalled out at 19 pounds at 10 months and now she's growth spurting again, I suspect because we got some of her GI issues under control and she's been eating like a horse (she previously was super picky and ate very little). I had to let out her harness a bit and she's gotten noticeably longer lately. I weighed her and she's at 22 pounds now.

She's a'growin'. :3:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Pems are so little! I was picking up cat litter at petsmart the other day and saw a Pem puppy and I swear Orbit was never that tiny! He's 10 months and definitely over 30lbs though we haven't weighed him lately. He also won't go up/down our stairs (our house was built in 1750 and we have original spiral staircases) so we have to haul his big butt up and down them constantly. He still has a lot of filling out to do and he's got got some muscle now instead of puppy fat (trying to herd a border collie around every day will do that). I'm hoping he doesn't get too much heavier!

Also he gets really really excited when kids are around and isn't calm at all. But he hasn't been around any kids younger than 5 or so, so maybe he'd be gentle with one that obviously isn't a running around screaming hellion :)

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Oh man, so the time I've been thinking would happen soon is here. Nova's going on 11 months, the weather has been steadily in the 70s/80s in Texas these past few weeks, and oh god the shedding has started. Dog fur everywhere and the poor thing is so itchy.

Time to invest in some grooming brushes.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
Hey corgi owners. I live in Manhattan with my 7-year-old Corgi. All is great, except sometimes lately I've had to take a bus to Jersey or a subway ride away for a slightly longer amount of time. I'd really like a way to bring my little guy with me, but I am not sure what pet carriers or other transportation equipment is best.

In NYC it is strongly advised that pets be in a carrier when on the subway, and New Jersey Transit requires it. Anyone have any experience with carriers that work better than others for corgis and their longer-than-usual body sizes? Mostly I am just looking for a corgi-friendly carrier I can use to take him with me on public transit so he isn't left by himself if I have to be away from home for longer than I normally am.

CaptainPoopsock fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 11, 2012

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I see people on the subway with special bags for their dogs. It's like a duffel bag, but you put your dog in it.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Ugh, is it time to take the cone off yet? Neige has definitely reached the point where she desperately wants to tear around the house like normal, but her hernia incision got a little swelly last night from a bit too much activity (gone down now), so we need to scale it back again. She's had two interrupted cases of the zoomies, and tethering turns her into a leaping salmon. We're getting better at recognizing the expression riiiight before a fit of attempted sprinting, which is good because she also isn't good at lifting her head high enough for the bottom of the cone to clear the carpet, so she keeps trying to take off, catching the cone on the ground, and smacking her face into the floor. She's like a wrecking crew with the cone, too. I can't count the number of times she's slammed into the back of my knees with it, or rolled over in bed and hit me in the face with it, or flailed a little when she's being picked up and bludgeoning me like she's gaffing a fish.

Happily, she's terribly entertaining to watch with it on. Spacial awareness is not her strong suit, and I feel a teeny bit guilty laughing at her, but then she hits me in the back of the head with the edge of the cone and all guilt melts away. Also, in lieu of hard playing, we've added two new behaviors to her training regimen - Back Up and Distance Down/Drop. All in all, I'm pretty pleased.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Just want to say that you all have adorable dogs, and seem to me to be some of the most wonderful owners I've ever seen. I've grown up around dogs my whole life, and I while I don't think my family (primarily parents) were bad owners, they never should the passion for their canines the way you guys in here do.

I've come close to getting a Corgi puppy quite a few times, and always hold off because I know it isn't the right time. I don't want to raise a puppy in an apartment, and my commute is just to far away that I wouldn't be able to get home during lunch to crate and house train one properly. That said, I'm glad I came into this thread when I did, because it has helped me keep a level head about the entire ordeal.

Just wanted to say that, and I can't wait to be able to chronicle my tales of raising a Corgi in this thread sooner rather than later. Once my lease is up in August, and I know where I will be moving to, the top priority is finding a home with a good proximity to where I will be working, and a strong environment to raise a puppy properly. I just cannot wait! Thank you for sharing your joy of owning a Corgi in this thread because it reassures me that it will be worth the wait!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Cooooooooorwin is going to visit his birthplace tomorrow! We are spending the weekend on Orcas Island (I'm having a "workcation" -- want to get out of the house a bit and enjoy an inspiring change of scenery) and on the way up we plan to visit Kathi Gangi at Brookhaven Corgis to introduce her to our little man, who is officially a Dire Corgi. :3: Will report back with pics of more of Kathi's corgis!

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Hey corgi thread, look what I made for my girlfriend this weekend:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

nolen posted:

Hey corgi thread, look what I made for my girlfriend this weekend:

How did you make that Corgi? ;) hahah
Awesome though!

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

On the 24th my wife and I had our baby and I was kind of nervous as to how Lola would react to us bringing him home.

Turns out shes ultra-protective of him and tries to be near him any time she can. We are still keeping a close eye on her in case she starts to get excited.

:3:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Gray Stormy posted:

On the 24th my wife and I had our baby and I was kind of nervous as to how Lola would react to us bringing him home.

Turns out shes ultra-protective of him and tries to be near him any time she can. We are still keeping a close eye on her in case she starts to get excited.

awww! two of my favorite types of creature! :3:
How old is Lola?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

Fryhtaning posted:

For "tiny" please direct your attention to my prior post to observe the dog that got the hell praised out of him for finally tipping the scales at 20.1lb at the vet last month.

Beanie must be tiny then! She's almost 3 years old now (time flies!) and she's still about 18 pounds.

• Locked thread