Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

ImpAtom posted:

Basically, Wild Arms XF is more like a strategy-themed puzzle game than a SRPG. Most of the levels are based around exploiting your weird abilities as opposed to beating them up RPG-style and you're expecting to abuse your weird mechanics to finish stages. I don't know if it is really 'good' but it's pretty easy to try to play it as a regular SRPG and it would suck really hard that way.

That sounds pretty cool actually . . . did it not really work in the end or is it good as long as you know what you are getting into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

Wild Arms XF

I consider it worth playing at that price. The plot is pretty much core Wild Arms in how silly it is, while the game itself mixes up the FFT style with some really unique abilities and some pretty unique puzzle levels. Unfortunately it all falls apart to meatgrinding the enemy later on, unfortunately, but there's a lot of neat ideas in there.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Incidentally, since April 1st is coming up and I'm probably gonna dig into it, any good awful RPG suggestions?

Of that list, I reckon Evergrace has the most condensed level of awful. There's something truly misbegotten about it. Depending on which next-gen options you have, you might be completely spoilt for choice, but it would be pretty easy to start with 'Compile Heart and Idea Factory' and go from there, or stream Agarest, or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

That sounds pretty cool actually . . . did it not really work in the end or is it good as long as you know what you are getting into?

I enjoyed it well enough but it's really the kind of thing where, if you don't enjoy it, you're going to hate it. It also kind of fades into generic slaughter later in the game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rasamune posted:

Six hundred and fifty five. (I have not!)

e: Oh hey, and I still have my cheat sheet folded up inside:

Goddamn this game
... What is that bit at the bottom with *s and Js in a weird grid thing?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zereth posted:

... What is that bit at the bottom with *s and Js in a weird grid thing?

Looks like the character skill grids. Dunno offhand what his shorthand was though.

Stelas posted:

Of that list, I reckon Evergrace has the most condensed level of awful. There's something truly misbegotten about it. Depending on which next-gen options you have, you might be completely spoilt for choice, but it would be pretty easy to start with 'Compile Heart and Idea Factory' and go from there, or stream Agarest, or something.

I might go with this if the new builds of PCSX2 can run it without the massive errors they used to have. It's one of those games that did things so differently from later titles that the last time I tried running it (when a lot of the "big" titles would run decently, if not perfectly), Evergrace, uh... well, the skyboxes and the menu ran on similar code, I reckon, because they were both trippy as gently caress. It was effectively impossible to read the menus and the skybox would flip out and start leaving a trail of any movement that crossed it. Your character, camera turns, a mountain crossing its path, the sky was only limited by what you could overlay on top of it.

I won't lie: if Evergrace had co-op it would probably be just as fond a memory for me as Secret of Mana, which is what it felt like a chopped and screwed cover of. More charming jank about it: that was the first title to ever teach me about how sometimes the people making official guides get builds way the hell out of date to the release, because some poo poo straight-up was not in the game anywhere it said it was, if at all.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 26, 2012

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Incidentally, since April 1st is coming up and I'm probably gonna dig into it, any good awful RPG suggestions? Current list is over here, always keeping an ear out for some other terrible title I've missed. Really need to update it with current-gen stuff/see if some of the suggestions are even RPGs...

I really liked the game Vay. It's under Sega, but it's a Sega CD game if I recall correctly. Be sure to collect all the armor pieces in the final dungeon and your main character's model will change into the robot suit.

If you want to add a new title to your list, add Thousand Arms for PS1. Date girls to get stronger! Weeee!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Syrg Sapphire posted:

the skybox would flip out and start leaving a trail of any movement that crossed it. Your character, camera turns, a mountain crossing its path, the sky was only limited by what you could overlay on top of it.
That sounds like it in fact did not have a skybox, as that reminds me strongly of what happened when you noclipped out of the level back in Doom and the like and the renderer flipped out becuase there was nothing over there.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Looks like the character skill grids. Dunno offhand what his shorthand was though.

If I remember right, probably 'junk' and 'oh my god keep this skill no matter what'.

quote:

I won't lie: if Evergrace had co-op it would probably be just as fond a memory for me as Secret of Mana, which is what it felt like a chopped and screwed cover of.

I have a weird kind of Stockholm Syndrome with it - which to be absolutely fair tends to happen around me and awful RPGs - because it was just so weird. The other launch PS2 RPGs were either terminally dull or else very generic or else Orphen. Evergrace was weird, with its empty locations and monsters in the wall and terrible jangly soundtrack. It made an impression.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 26, 2012

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

MotU posted:

I do feel like I may be too high a BR though, because wherever I look people are at a place called Eagle's Nest (not there yet, at Heroic Ramparts or something) and they have BRs of like 15 where as I am already at 21. (I am doing all subquests though)

Those people are likely semi-depressing their BRs intentionally - iirc the second time I played through, I was BR9 by Eagle's Nest because the bosses scale on BR, but your stats don't necessarily do so (360 only).

After Eagle's Nest is also one of my favourite scenes in a videogame :allears:

Murodese fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 26, 2012

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Stelas posted:

If I remember right, probably 'junk' and 'oh my god keep this skill no matter what'.

Yup. "J" for "junk" marks where I could put the crappy skills that I didn't need for that character, and the star marks where I need to put the best skill I get for that character for maximum stat gains.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Definitely trying out Exit Fate. Shut up and Jam: Gaiden kind of blew my mind.

Octoroon hero.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Syrg Sapphire posted:

any good awful RPG suggestions? Current list is over here
Wh-why would you do this to yourself?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

any good awful RPG suggestions? Current list is over here, always keeping an ear out for some other terrible title I've missed. Really need to update it with current-gen stuff/see if some of the suggestions are even RPGs...

Skylight, by the same person who made The Demon Rush.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Incidentally, since April 1st is coming up and I'm probably gonna dig into it, any good awful RPG suggestions? Current list is over here, always keeping an ear out for some other terrible title I've missed. Really need to update it with current-gen stuff/see if some of the suggestions are even RPGs...

I recommend browsing RPGmaker.net, and searching for the lowest rated games. It's great for finding terrible poo poo, like Escape From Middle School, Cod: Nazi Zombies, and the barely started, but "grafikally" intense Suteki. I've personally played the latter two, and I can vouch for their terribleness.

Which reminds me that I need to play Manos: Hands of Fate RPG.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 27, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Incidentally, since April 1st is coming up and I'm probably gonna dig into it, any good awful RPG suggestions? Current list is over here, always keeping an ear out for some other terrible title I've missed.

Vanguard Bandits does not belong on a list of bad RPG's. :(

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Miijhal posted:

I recommend browsing RPGmaker.net, and searching for the lowest rated games. It's great for finding terrible poo poo, like Escape From Middle School, Cod: Nazi Zombies, and the barely started, but "grafikally" intense Suteki. I've personally played the latter two, and I can vouch for their terribleness.

Look for Donald gently caress RPG, it's one of the most terrible games ever. It's really, really rare because of a C&D I think but I have it if you really need it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

a medical mystery posted:

Look for Donald gently caress RPG, it's one of the most terrible games ever. It's really, really rare because of a C&D I think but I have it if you really need it.
I think we all need this game.

Sakurazuka posted:

The thing about Vanguard Bandits is that everyone who has played it understands that it's an absolutely terrible game (with a really fun soundtrack), but we don't care and we love it anyway.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Incidentally, since April 1st is coming up and I'm probably gonna dig into it, any good awful RPG suggestions? Current list is over here, always keeping an ear out for some other terrible title I've missed.

Wait, why is Atelier Annie so bad? I didn't get that far into it due to hitting the Atelier panic attack that comes once you start having to write up spreadsheets to keep track of time, manage levels, and obtain funds coming rather early, but it seemed pretty bog-standard to me. 'Course, that may just be it.

I should probably finish that someday soon...

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Ask and ye shall receive

http://www.mediafire.com/?vk6e07jln0bn1kh

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

The thing about Vanguard Bandits is that everyone who has played it understands that it's an absolutely terrible game (with a really fun soundtrack), but we don't care and we love it anyway.

Lies. It's a perfectly serviceable strategy rpg that doesn't take itself seriously for long. Would have been nice if water and earth attacks weren't mostly worthless but otherwise it wasn't bad.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Hyperdimension Neptunia is an incredibly lovely game. Anyone who tries to defend it you can write off their opinion because anybody who tries to defend that poo poo is a moron.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vanguard Bandits is poorly balanced but I can't really say it's bad. It is mostly just generic and has a dumb plot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

Lies. It's a perfectly serviceable strategy rpg that doesn't take itself seriously for long. Would have been nice if water and earth attacks weren't mostly worthless but otherwise it wasn't bad.

Well Earthquake wasn't bad, but I guess their whole thing was that those stones were geared mostly for support spells. Earth's HP resoration wasn't very necessary, of course, but Cooling Mist was sooooooooo fuckin' OP.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Hyperdimension Neptunia is an incredibly lovely game. Anyone who tries to defend it you can write off their opinion because anybody who tries to defend that poo poo is a moron.

I like your style.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Well Earthquake wasn't bad, but I guess their whole thing was that those stones were geared mostly for support spells. Earth's HP resoration wasn't very necessary, of course, but Cooling Mist was sooooooooo fuckin' OP.

Cooling mist is ok, but I'm not gonna suffer through water stone attacks to get it unless it's on someone who absolutely has to have it. Which basically means whoever's in the Altagrave and maybe Reyna. If I'm on the Empire route I'll cheerfully forget it exists.

Earthquake was just too little, too late. By the time the stones for it show up you've gotten so used to your earth people being nothing but heal bots that they don't know what to do now that they finally have a real attack.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 27, 2012

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

S-Alpha posted:

Wait, why is Atelier Annie so bad?

Sakurazuka posted:

I honestly don't know much about a few of these games and they're things people have suggested prior that I keep an eye out for. (I myself actually like a few of the suggestions, PS1 especially, but left them on the list because they are decidedly in the "janky" category.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just realised I haven't played Vanguard Bandits since it first came out, so I've no idea if it was any good because I was an idiot who liked everything back then. :v: I do remember it being super easy to get stuck into the BAD END path though.

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I don't see why Atelier Annie would be on this list, at least. Seems like a standard Atelier game to me.
I don't know why I bothered playing Witch's Wish, but it isn't a RPG. It's an adventure game.

Like someone said above, definitely add Hyperdimension Neptunia (PS3) to the list.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I just realised I haven't played Vanguard Bandits since it first came out, so I've no idea if it was any good because I was an idiot who liked everything back then. :v: I do remember it being super easy to get stuck into the BAD END path though.

A lot of the hidden paths are really poorly explained so it's pretty easy to 'luck' into one without realizing it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Seconding Thirding the notion that Atelier Annie deserves exactly zero place on any "bad JRPG" list. :colbert: It's a different sort of game, to be sure, but it is by no means a BAD game.

(If you want a NISA-published game on there, put Neptunia on. The loc editor for that game tried his damnedest, but god that is such a bad game.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of the hidden paths are really poorly explained so it's pretty easy to 'luck' into one without realizing it.

There's only one hidden path, which is really only hard to get because of the somewhat buggy save system. Pretty sure the manual tells you how to get the 2 main branches and several interview options hint at how to get the good ending on the Kingdom branch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

There's only one hidden path, which is really only hard to get because of the somewhat buggy save system. Pretty sure the manual tells you how to get the 2 main branches and several interview options hint at how to get the good ending on the Kingdom branch.

Still "Get to level 7 before (x) point" is pretty hidden. I think WD had to add that to the manual so people could find it without a guide, I don't think it's in the J-release.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SpaceDrake posted:

(If you want a NISA-published game on there, put Neptunia on. The loc editor for that game tried his damnedest, but god that is such a bad game.)

Didn't Cross Edge get even worse ratings?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah, I'd argue that Cross Edge is even worse. Although, to be fair, I haven't played Neptunia.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

As someone who's played both, Neptunia is miles better than Cross Edge could ever hope to be. It is that bad.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cross Edge is a better system, but it takes a lot of time to get a handle on it and meanwhile the story is a clunky crossover clusterfuck. Neptunia has a faster system and a more immediate and global appeal, since absolutely anyone can get most of the references involved. Neptunia hides most of the game behind its first few scenes, though, which are easily the lowest and most 'urghhhhh' parts of the game.

Neither of them are the worst thing out on the PS3, though, since that easily has to go to one of the Agarest games. Or, for completely inoffensive blandness, Trinity Universe.

e: While we're on bad games, right now I'm kind of feeling like FF13-2's way up there. Serah's simpering, the super Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe of the plot, the completely nonsensical decisions the characters frequently make or their total lack of short term memory, Square's inability to track a non-linear plot, and the fact I've spent twelve loving hours total on this goddamn slot machine are really putting it up there. I might start liking it again once I sort out that last part, though.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 27, 2012

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Stelas posted:

e: While we're on bad games, right now I'm kind of feeling like FF13-2's way up there. Serah's simpering, the super Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe of the plot, the completely nonsensical decisions the characters frequently make or their total lack of short term memory, Square's inability to track a non-linear plot, and the fact I've spent twelve loving hours total on this goddamn slot machine are really putting it up there. I might start liking it again once I sort out that last part, though.

So far I love Last Remnant but goddamn is the plot up to now atrocious and it just feels like everything is shown through the eyes of an ADD Child (Rush). It goes from "I gotta find my sister!" to "I gotta find my parents!" to "Who is that guy in a Red Sarong let's stop looking for my parents and find him!" The only saying grace is that Torgal is basically :stare: "Yeah okay." everytime.

It just feels really ping-pongy and honestly if I wasn't doing the sidequests I'd feel it would be more ridiculous seeming in how fast it goes from one to another.

Also another thing that bothers me is that people start using villains' names before we are told them, what with Rush being all like "We gotta go get Wagram!" and I don't figure out who the hell that is til like 3 scenes later since his name is not mentioned prior to that

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Stelas posted:

What the gently caress are you doing spending so much time on the slots? Here's what you do, get about 7-8 casino tokens, you should have enough gil or get a bit with the chocobo races. Go to the slots when it's on fire, press a heavy book against L1 and just walk away and do something else, go sleep or something. Come back hours later, fragment gotten.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

S-Alpha posted:

Wait, why is Atelier Annie so bad? I didn't get that far into it due to hitting the Atelier panic attack that comes once you start having to write up spreadsheets to keep track of time, manage levels, and obtain funds coming rather early, but it seemed pretty bog-standard to me. 'Course, that may just be it.

I should probably finish that someday soon...

It's just super boring in every way. Crafting is dull. Combat is boring. Each area is a single screen, so there's no exploration. And this is probably super subjective, but there is so much terrible, meandering, pointless dialogue that I found myself skipping all of it whenever it came up, and I literally never, ever do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Go to the slots when it's on fire, press a heavy book against L1 and just walk away and do something else, go sleep or something. Come back hours later, fragment gotten.

That's exactly what my twelve hours tally is. The machine's on summer's day, I've started with 4k tokens several times and they've always been pissed away with no luck. It really is the most idiotic fragment in the game.

MotU posted:

TLR Plot

Oh, yeah, it's pretty much ridiculous and I honestly couldn't even begin to recap the plot because I forget it all about five minutes after I stop playing. Just enjoy your pitched army battles and slicing up huge dragons.