Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Verizon's CPO polices changed last year.

5 day is now the standard shipping (not overnight) and no more in-store swaps.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/31/verizon-changes-certified-like-new-replacement-program-phone-protection-plans-now-a-must/

You also only have 5 days for the warehouse to confirm they got your device back now, so you better turn it around quick. Honestly, it's almost better to deal directly with the manufacturer now if you have a spare phone to use.

I got free overnight in december. Maybe they can do it free on a case by case basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Verizon's CPO polices changed last year.

5 day is now the standard shipping (not overnight) and no more in-store swaps.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/31/verizon-changes-certified-like-new-replacement-program-phone-protection-plans-now-a-must/

You also only have 5 days for the warehouse to confirm they got your device back now, so you better turn it around quick. Honestly, it's almost better to deal directly with the manufacturer now if you have a spare phone to use.

You have 5 days to ship your phone back, they don't have to get it by the 5th day.

As long as they have a tracking number by the 5th business they you're fine with that.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
I guess in the end i'm just a little discouraged that after buying Verizon/Moto's flagship smartphone, it crapped out on me after less than a month. Hopefully the replacement works out alright.

2 friends of mine got razr's after i ranted about how awesome mine was. Hopefully they have better luck... :(

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I plan on using just the wifi and gps on my Nexus when I go to the UK this spring. Since I won't be able to make any calls from it, what settings should I turn off to save the most battery?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ROOMBA floorvac posted:

I plan on using just the wifi and gps on my Nexus when I go to the UK this spring. Since I won't be able to make any calls from it, what settings should I turn off to save the most battery?

Put it in airplane mode. You will still be able to turn on WiFi and GPS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like you can get the Lapdock for the Razr and Droid 4 for $150 right now.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/24/sneaky-deal-motorola-lapdock-500-at-verizon-only-149-compatible-with-the-droid-4-and-razr/

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I love verizon. I really do.

Get an email claiming $100 off upgrading to an LTE phone. Go through the whole checkout process. But wait, its actually only a $30 discount. Talk to sales person, they only see $30 discount.

gently caress verizon. I don't even see anything in the fine print of the email to make me ineligable. I really wish someone had as good of coverage here in middle-of-nowhere iowa as they do so I could jump ship off this lovely company.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I love verizon. I really do.

Get an email claiming $100 off upgrading to an LTE phone. Go through the whole checkout process. But wait, its actually only a $30 discount. Talk to sales person, they only see $30 discount.

gently caress verizon. I don't even see anything in the fine print of the email to make me ineligable. I really wish someone had as good of coverage here in middle-of-nowhere iowa as they do so I could jump ship off this lovely company.

Seems like that's Verizon's business model. Offer the best service in the country while repeatedly loving over their customers. So your choice is baller service with lovely customer service or lovely to non-existent service on a friendly carrier.

Oh well. All hail big red. :worship:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Post the email on here.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Don Lapre posted:

Post the email on here.

Hmmm. Does this link work? https://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/website/ResponseForm?OSPEUV_9_z_TV_W.3dX.3d_UTT.26e_f3EroplHgmoTFtJolpDJht

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Print it out and take it to the store with you.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LOL that they still list the Stratosphere as "The only 4G LTE smartphone with a slide-out keyboard". Somebody needs to update that, though I don't know what you could say positive about the Stratosphere, other than "it's free on contract".

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Does your phone number end in 7383?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Don Lapre posted:

I got free overnight in december. Maybe they can do it free on a case by case basis.

I got free over night shipped without asking less than 2 weeks ago on warranty nexus

buck i
Oct 31, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Looks like you can get the Lapdock for the Razr and Droid 4 for $150 right now.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/24/sneaky-deal-motorola-lapdock-500-at-verizon-only-149-compatible-with-the-droid-4-and-razr/

I pulled the trigger on this earlier tonight. All I really use my laptop for now is browsing, media consumption, and some word processing. This should work well for me.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Rooted and installed 4.0.4 tonight, the 4G seems a little easier to connect to now and I no longer have to do stupid disables/re-enables when transitioning from 3G to 4G and back. Thanks for the advice!

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Does keeping 3G/4G on mean that you're constantly getting data from Verizon? I'm trying to figure out how my iPhone has been receiving 2 gigs of data over the past 24 hours. I haven't used anything (that I consider to be data intensive) asides from Facebook, Twitter, and Words/Scramble with Friends. Even then, the usage hasn't been for more than a couple minutes and I can't imagine all of that taking more than 100+ megs. I did upload a 10 second video on Facebook, but there's no way that's more than 2 gigs of data, right?

EDIT: According to Verizon, I haven't used more than 50 megs of data. But my iPhone is telling me I've used 2.5 gigs of data. Does the "Cellular Network Data" on the iPhone include data received over WiFi?

keevo fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 26, 2012

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
A perk of buying the insurance and/or extended warranty is you end up with free 2 day or overnight shipping. The perk only entitles you to business days though (you have to pay for Saturday).

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

keevo posted:

Does the "Cellular Network Data" on the iPhone include data received over WiFi?
No.

Does it keep misreporting after you reset the counters?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Going to Canada with my Galaxy Nexus. I don't plan to make any calls while I'm there, but I would like to be able to receive calls if there's an emergency at home. I also want to make sure that my data connection is off the entire time (but I'll use wifi occasionally).

If I call up Verizon to allow international roaming for calls, will that affect my data? How can I make sure that the EDGE/3G/4G data won't be used at all in Canada?

Transcendi
Jan 6, 2004

SGT. GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Aatrek posted:

Going to Canada with my Galaxy Nexus. I don't plan to make any calls while I'm there, but I would like to be able to receive calls if there's an emergency at home. I also want to make sure that my data connection is off the entire time (but I'll use wifi occasionally).

If I call up Verizon to allow international roaming for calls, will that affect my data? How can I make sure that the EDGE/3G/4G data won't be used at all in Canada?

The phone should already be set up for roaming without having to call Verizon (at least it was for me). Just go, but make sure you have "Data Roaming" unchecked under Settings> More...(Wireless & Networks)> Mobile Networks.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Transcendi posted:

The phone should already be set up for roaming without having to call Verizon (at least it was for me). Just go, but make sure you have "Data Roaming" unchecked under Settings> More...(Wireless & Networks)> Mobile Networks.
If you hit a Canadian cell tower while using voice, SMS or data, Verizon will send you a warning via text and billing email address. I live near Canada and once in a great while I'll hop onto a Canadian tower even though it would have to be 25 miles away. Every time I go to Canada I just put my phone in airplane mode or turn it off.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I have 4 smartphone lines with Sprint, and we're planning on hopping onto my mother's Verizon plan since it's already established and she has a corporate discount. Do corporate discount no longer apply to the $30 double 2gb plan like they did the $29.99 unlimited plan? Or does it depend upon the discount individually negotiated by her employer?

Sprint has raised rates and manipulated the discounted billing structure, eroding any savings they once provided over other carriers. Might as well use the recent change to quit it and sell the phones while they're worth something.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

goku chewbacca posted:

I have 4 smartphone lines with Sprint, and we're planning on hopping onto my mother's Verizon plan since it's already established and she has a corporate discount. Do corporate discount no longer apply to the $30 double 2gb plan like they did the $29.99 unlimited plan? Or does it depend upon the discount individually negotiated by her employer?
That seems to be up in the air, but just to make sure, you should know that on Verizon employee discounts only apply to the primary line in a family plan.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

Sprint has raised rates and manipulated the discounted billing structure, eroding any savings they once provided over other carriers. Might as well use the recent change to quit it and sell the phones while they're worth something.
It depends on the company what is discounted.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

frumpsnake posted:

No.

Does it keep misreporting after you reset the counters?

I just checked with Verizon's #DATA thing and it's telling me about 70 megs or so right now, which seems accurate. Should I reset the iPhone counter? I honestly have no idea what I should do.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That seems to be up in the air, but just to make sure, you should know that on Verizon employee discounts only apply to the primary line in a family plan.

Do you mean it only applies to the primary line, or just the base plan? I know it doesn't apply to the $9.99 line charges. But I thought data plans (29.99 unlimited) on all lines were discounted.

1400 minute share plan $89.98 for the first two lines. Only 79.99 gets the discount.

What about the $10 messaging or the $30 family messaging?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I can put the phone in airplane mode but still use WiFi, right?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Aatrek posted:

I can put the phone in airplane mode but still use WiFi, right?

Yes. If you are in the "Wireless & Networks" menu, you can toggle on Airplane mode, then immediately go toggle on Wifi. Wifi will be the only radio active.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

goku chewbacca posted:

Do you mean it only applies to the primary line, or just the base plan? I know it doesn't apply to the $9.99 line charges.
Both, since they've broken them out into separate charges. See below.

quote:

But I thought data plans (29.99 unlimited) on all lines were discounted.
Definitely not. Primary line only. And many employee discounts don't include "feature discounts", they only discount the phone plan -- i.e. no discount on data for any line.

quote:

1400 minute share plan $89.98 for the first two lines. Only 79.99 gets the discount.
Yes, kind of. The way it would work is there is an "account charge" of $70, and a primary line charge of $9.99, both of which get the discount. (Plus a $9.99 charge for the second line, which gets no discount).

quote:

What about the $10 messaging or the $30 family messaging?
This, I'm not sure about. I would guess the $30 charge would apply, but not the $10. Just a guess, though.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I spoke to a customer service rep over the phone, but I don't remember the department name after being transferred twice.

I don't know if this was how my mother's employer negotiated or if it's standard practice, or if I was just confused by the roundabout way she wanted to structure the charges as she explained it to me, but she kept saying the discount applies to a $100 portion of the account. Again, I don't know if $100 is what her employer negotiated or if I misunderstood, because $100 just so happened to be the round number for the $70 1400 minute family plan plus the $30 family messaging. The $9.99 x5 lines weren't discounted, and only line1's data plan was discounted. That's a minor complication, as my mom is the existing line 1 and is the only one of the five that doesn't want data.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Aatrek posted:

Verizon has Canada plans that'll let you use your phone and data in Canada, only $20 more for the same amount of minutes. Data is the same price. You could switch to the Canada plan a day before you leave, then switch back to your regular plan when you come back.

Please post if this works for you, since I'm planning to do this exact thing in a few months. :)

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Sooooo my warranty replacement Razr Maxx is out for delivery this morning and guess what started working again...

Here's to hoping my refurb replacement is in as good cosmetic condition as my previously not working one.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I had the "no data roaming" checked on my LG Revolution when I was in northern Maine last year and I still got whacked $60 for data roaming. I fought it and won, but just be aware.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Replacement Maxx just came, looks brand new with all the films still on it and such. Didn't come with any activation instructions. Anyone have any hints?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ernie Luckman posted:

Replacement Maxx just came, looks brand new with all the films still on it and such. Didn't come with any activation instructions. Anyone have any hints?

Swap your SIM into the new one and boot. Should be all it needs.

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Great success! Thanks.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Mark Larson posted:

Verizon has Canada plans that'll let you use your phone and data in Canada, only $20 more for the same amount of minutes. Data is the same price. You could switch to the Canada plan a day before you leave, then switch back to your regular plan when you come back.

Please post if this works for you, since I'm planning to do this exact thing in a few months. :)

But will I even be able to use 3G in Canada from a Verizon phone that doesn't have a GSM simcard?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm thinking of posting my Droid Incredible in SA Mart, what do you think is a fair price for a recent refurb in mint condition with case, 16gb microsd and charger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
$100 at the high end.

• Locked thread