Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mac Tonight posted:

gently caress. I'm at 1:58 still. I really don't want to do that challenge again. gently caress that car in every way.

Brake early and don't be afraid to ride the curbs. Sure, the car is an absolute boat but I nailed a 1:50 even on the starting lap.

Edit: Just checked, I posted a 1:46.267 with ABS/TCS and I really suck at this game. You definitely can do it. :)

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jabs posted:

The rules are a bit...flexible...like LeMons.

* Last time, the rule was "The car should have been *commonly* available off a lovely Buy Here Pay Here car lot at some time in the past for $2000 or less." This rule will be a little more flexible this time around.

* The unofficial theme is "UNLOVED PROJECTS" It is hereby presumed that you bought your car from a Craigslist Ad that said "OVER $XX,XXX INVESTED!!!"
Your "budget" is ~$20,000 Craigslist (or other classified adsite) dollars. Find an unloved project out there, that you can buy today (or recently), and build it in Forza. Save the link and post it post-race! Show us your inspiration that is full of hilarity and awful and WTF!

* Stock tire size and compound is mandatory (Stock wheels were mandatory last time, but not this time)

* Race Weight Reduction and Full Cage are mandatory. It is presumed that you stripped the interior and sold it for some "free" mod money.

* To allow for the widest variety of project cars, there will be 4 player "buckets" that you can put your car into in order to meet the target lap time...

Stock: 0% power handicap
Street: 25% power handicap
Sport: 45% power handicap
Race: 70% power handicap

All cars will have a 10% handling handicap (unloved projects have old decrepit tires, yo!)

* It's a 1.2 hour race, so (unlike most races) there won't be lap times. It'll be up to you to put down some practice laps and know how close you are to the "target" time.
Close racing is more fun than hotlapping the Nurburgring by yourself.
GUIDELINE: I'm a very "middle of the pack" racer, I'm bringing a "Race" car, and with the 70%/10% handicap bucket, I've put down an 11:38 standing start, and a 11:01 flying lap, and a speed across the S/F of 119 MPH on the flying lap.

* Like past races, SIMULATION DAMAGE WILL REMAIN ON, however, UNLIKE past races, The Green Hell can bite you in the rear end HARD if you don't know the track and it's a LONG limp back to the pits. I don't expect you to know that track, and crashing out is no loving fun at all.
As a compromise, the FULL racing line and ABS will be available.

GOOD HUNTING!

Welp, it sounds like I need to find a new car to build. Also, it'd be great if we could start as close to 9 as possible. The last couple Thursday mornings have been rough.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Cojawfee posted:

What race series is there that races cars that regular people can afford? NASCAR used to race actual cars and when a car won on Sunday, everyone was at the dealership buying that car on Monday. Now a car that says "Fusion" or "Impala" on it wins on Sunday, but you can't buy that car.

ALMS is the first that comes to mind. This is some of the best racing I've seen in a long time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0LHqNAiWPk

A few of my friends run MX-5s in MX-5 Cup and in Grand Am.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Jarf posted:

That sounds hilarious. Any footage?

I think I saved it, along with others. I'll see if I can grab some videos from it I think. I also delved into C-class pubbie racing and well... its full of ricers, like every car. Slammed and with gaudy vinyls, every drat one. I know at one point some guy in a miata was trying to spin me out but didn't manager. He came flying at me from a corner (basicly he didn't brake, instead just trying to torpedo me) but as he launched at me a mustang pulled upto my left side and like a newtons cradle the mustang got punted off the side, hope he didn't think it was my fault :(

Honestly since I decided to race heavy cars I've had alot more fun online, because people simply cannot push you off.

I also claimed my highest placed finish last night, 2nd on a lap of nurburgring full circuit. I thought having just 4 gears in my camaro I'd never keep up, but somehow I was still faster than most. Guess they all picked handling>speed?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

Conveniently, they're right after the first major corner, so if you get caught up in the inevitable turn 1 crash derby, you can limp your way into the pits and continue the race.

Sometimes the wreck will even shunt people right into the pits, which is also funny.

They need to follow this logic and stick a second one around that one downhill hairpin with the sideways drop off into the wall. You could even stick the pit entrance on the apex so cars would go bouncing/sliding straight through. I hate that turn.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Ether Frenzy posted:

What time are you doing that, Jabs? (it's Wednesday, yeah?) Sounds like exactly my type of race, I might join you guys.
Lobby opens at 7pm Mountain (6pm PST 9pm EST), and the race will commence at 8pm MST (7pm PST/10pm EST) +- 5 minutes.

The target lap time of TEN MINUTES is your *target time*. This race is 72 minutes, and the track is ~13 miles. Hotlapping solo it is going to suck balls, as it's something we could all be doing right now if we wanted to. I'm *really* hoping that we can get a bunch of people that are very close to that 11 minute mark, so we're trading positions back and forth as we make the inevitable mistakes (because, honestly, we're all pretty terrible drivers. *grins*), rather than "Joe, Dan, and Boaz Pass Go, Collect $200, And Then Lap Everyone Else For Good Measure".
Joe has a car that'll turn 10 minutes. Dan's got one that'll turn 10:30's.

EDIT:
It's closer than you think V.
I had a test session with Joe tonight, and we were pretty close.
He's running a 299 point Alpha in the 100% Power class
I'm running an S Class car in the 30% Power class

We were within 5 seconds/lap of each other consistently.
If you tune so your out lap is 10:35-10:45, It'll be a VERY close, VERY fun race.
("Out lap" being a single standing start test lap.)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 27, 2012

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Just give Joe the winning points and be done with it. Nobody can compete with him.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jabs posted:

Lobby opens at 7pm Mountain (6pm PST 9pm EST), and the race will commence at 8pm MST (7pm PST/10pm EST) +- 5 minutes.

The target lap time of TEN MINUTES is your *target time*. This race is 72 minutes, and the track is ~13 miles. Hotlapping solo it is going to suck balls, as it's something we could all be doing right now if we wanted to. I'm *really* hoping that we can get a bunch of people that are very close to that 11 minute mark, so we're trading positions back and forth as we make the inevitable mistakes (because, honestly, we're all pretty terrible drivers. *grins*), rather than "Joe, Dan, and Boaz Pass Go, Collect $200, And Then Lap Everyone Else For Good Measure".
Joe has a car that'll turn 10 minutes. Dan's got one that'll turn 10:30's.

EDIT:
It's closer than you think V.
I had a test session with Joe tonight, and we were pretty close.
He's running a 299 point Alpha in the 100% Power class
I'm running an S Class car in the 30% Power class

We were within 5 seconds/lap of each other consistently.
If you tune so your out lap is 1:35-1:45, It'll be a VERY close, VERY fun race.
Cool - I think I can sneak out of work in time for that this wednesday. I'll tune up a car to spec and find an appropriate real life classified that matches - probably going to aim at 300-350ish PI.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Brake early and don't be afraid to ride the curbs. Sure, the car is an absolute boat but I nailed a 1:50 even on the starting lap.

Edit: Just checked, I posted a 1:46.267 with ABS/TCS and I really suck at this game. You definitely can do it. :)

So, what is the exact time you have to beat??

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Seymour Butts posted:

So, what is the exact time you have to beat??

I think it's a dirty 1:52.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jabs posted:

If you tune so your out lap is 1:35-1:45, It'll be a VERY close, VERY fun race.

Alright, you lost me. "Out lap"?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well, outlap in real racing terms means out of the pits on cold tires, which would also take into account how long you were in the pits for on that lap.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Scirocco Griffon posted:

Just a reminder that you have until Wednesday to set a time in the King of the Track event. Rampage hasn't bothered to try posting a new time, so 1:51.674 is still what you have to beat to get a unicorn Camaro SS.

Would this get me the Unicorn Achievement? I heard it popped for people with a Unicorn that transferred over form Forza 3.

I really don't want to drive that piece of poo poo again but I'll do it for that loving achievement.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Falken posted:

Well, outlap in real racing terms means out of the pits on cold tires, which would also take into account how long you were in the pits for on that lap.

That makes sense, but I'm not sure where the 1:35 came from. I'm thinking typo.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

I think it's a dirty 1:52.

Liku posted:

Would this get me the Unicorn Achievement? I heard it popped for people with a Unicorn that transferred over form Forza 3.

I really don't want to drive that piece of poo poo again but I'll do it for that loving achievement.

Yes, how you acquire a unicorn is irrelevant, only that you have one matters for the achievement. Also I'd be careful about the dirt/clean stuff for this challenge because T10 was giving the impression that dirt or not Rampages official time is what it is and the people doing the challenge need to do it clean, so best get to lappin if you really want that Camaro SS and haven't got a clean 1:51.674

General Probe fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 27, 2012

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Falken posted:

I'm still lost - 1:35 to 1:45 on cold tires out of the pits on the Nordschleife? Am I missing something?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So, Wednesday and Thursday this week, Microsoft is suppose to be having some sort of major press conference for the Xbox 360. It is rumored that there will be two major announcements for the Forza series. Considering Forza 4 has not been out that long yet, it's probably Forza 4 related, but there's a chance it won't be. I get the impression this is strictly Xbox 360 only though, so very high chance it's FM4 related and not something new.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well that's interesting. I can't really think of what it could be about, unless it's something like Porsche returning. Or maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be about the gigantic server issues being fixed or something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cannot Find Server posted:

Or maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be about the gigantic server issues being fixed or something.

If this was the only thing announced, I would be fine with that.

It's gonna be a Porsche announcement because I bought my own copy of Forza 3 this week, and so it'll be a waste of money now with Porsche coming to FM4.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I said come in! posted:

If this was the only thing announced, I would be fine with that.

It's gonna be a Porsche announcement because I bought my own copy of Forza 3 this week, and so it'll be a waste of money now with Porsche coming to FM4.

Thanks for taking one for the team, I said come in!.

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010

Cannot Find Server posted:

Well that's interesting. I can't really think of what it could be about, unless it's something like Porsche returning. Or maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be about the gigantic server issues being fixed or something.

Interesting indeed. The last Week in Review said the next content update will include multiplayer server fixes, I'd be surprised if they held a press conference to say the same thing. But what do I know, maybe they're super turbo proud about making a fix.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pinky the Cube posted:

Interesting indeed. The last Week in Review said the next content update will include multiplayer server fixes, I'd be surprised if they held a press conference to say the same thing. But what do I know, maybe they're super turbo proud about making a fix.

Well then, it's either Porsche coming back or...well, I can't think of anything else worthy of a press conference like this, so...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On a French Forza fansite, someone apparently already knows what the announcements are, but is keeping hush hush about it. All he has said is that opinions are going to be mixed. :ohdear: Take all of that with a huge grain of salt. I love my rumors.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I said come in! posted:

On a French Forza fansite, someone apparently already knows what the announcements are, but is keeping hush hush about it. All he has said is that opinions are going to be mixed. :ohdear: Take all of that with a huge grain of salt. I love my rumors.

It's a new track. One that is fun, but will still result in much wailing and gnashing of teeth from all the fake euro-snob wannabes.

It's Watkins GlenI hope.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I know I mentioned these earlier and I know it won't be, but in my dreams the announcement is a new car class. Either G100 for things like a '86 Buick Lesabre with one nonfunctional cylinder or a Merc 300 with 2 functioning gears (reverse and 4th). This could also include the antiques. Make the cars cost like 1000 cr. It will be like Wednesday's race but more so. Alternately, I would like them to either open up X999 class or create a new R0 class with things like IHRA Funny Cars, Bonneville World Record rocket cars, etc. Just crazy crazy stuff.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Forza 4: NASCAR/Street Racing expansion, controllable exclusively through the Kinect.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

General Probe posted:

Yes, how you acquire a unicorn is irrelevant, only that you have one matters for the achievement. Also I'd be careful about the dirt/clean stuff for this challenge because T10 was giving the impression that dirt or not Rampages official time is what it is and the people doing the challenge need to do it clean, so best get to lappin if you really want that Camaro SS and haven't got a clean 1:51.674

Clean as in stayed on the pavement the entire lap? How can I tell what 'kind' of lap my 1:46 was or how it will be viewed by T10?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Clean as in stayed on the pavement the entire lap? How can I tell what 'kind' of lap my 1:46 was or how it will be viewed by T10?

If it has a little exclamation point in a triangle caution sign looking thing next to your time, it's a dirty lap.

Dirty laps are where you went off (you can often put a wheel off without getting this), hit something/someone, used the rewind feature, damaged the car (like going into 3rd when you wanted 5th, or bottoming out and loving the suspension), or drafted.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ANAmal.net posted:

If it has a little exclamation point in a triangle caution sign looking thing next to your time, it's a dirty lap.

Dirty laps are where you went off (you can often put a wheel off without getting this), hit something/someone, used the rewind feature, damaged the car (like going into 3rd when you wanted 5th, or bottoming out and loving the suspension), or drafted.

Gotchya, I'll have to check when I'm home though. I do remember riding the rumble strips (correct term?) like a two dollar hooker because that car is fat fat fatty fat.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Forza 4: NASCAR/Street Racing expansion, controllable exclusively through the Kinect.

A NASCAR expansion would actually own, especially if they went full bore in having street and race versions of the classic cars. Things like 80s G-bodies, Ford Torinos, Chevy Luminas. Also an excuse for including a Toyota Camry in the game for narcoleptic drivers.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

YF19pilot posted:

A NASCAR expansion would actually own, especially if they went full bore in having street and race versions of the classic cars. Things like 80s G-bodies, Ford Torinos, Chevy Luminas. Also an excuse for including a Toyota Camry in the game for narcoleptic drivers.

I would buy the gently caress out of this so hard.

Turn 10, I am throwing money at my screen. Take it. Take it NOW.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Turn 10 is really missing out on a truckload of money by not cranking out expansion games that bring in official racing series. NASCAR is an easy one (aside from license issues.. does EA have an exclusive on it?) but there's others out there to be explored.. F1, BTCC, WTCC, ALMS, MotoGP, WSBK, WRC.. the list is just about endless.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

EA no longer holds the NASCAR license. It was due to expire this year, but EA let it go early because nobody bought their lovely games anymore. Activision made a NASCAR game which would have been awesome if it wasn't so buggy and had so much stupidity in it, and GT5 also has NASCAR in it. My pipe dream is T10 and Codemasters teaming up and making a NASCAR game; Forza's physics with GRID's damage engine in a NASCAR title would be the greatest thing ever.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
What about that guy that's almost always correct in the cars coming for the monthly car pack DLC? What's he saying for March?

Please be an all-Porsche release. That would be the best.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I have a feeling it'll be a Porsche release, or a Forza 4-themed Xbox, or maybe a game update that allows browsing of pubbie races (not just player-made) so that I can finally see if there's only one other guy doing A-E racing :(

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ANAmal.net posted:

Dirty laps are where ...blahblahblah... or drafted.

This drives me so loving crazy. I'll have a great lap going that's absolutely spotless, pass someone cleanly, then as I go around, they get a "draft" and gently caress my clean lap. Stupid.

If their announcement is just that they're putting an update through that gets rid of that, I'll be happy.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This drives me so loving crazy. I'll have a great lap going that's absolutely spotless, pass someone cleanly, then as I go around, they get a "draft" and gently caress my clean lap. Stupid.

If their announcement is just that they're putting an update through that gets rid of that, I'll be happy.

Or the thing where if you befoul the end of your previous lap your next lap is dirtied as well, unless you caught the little indicator when you went a centimeter too far over the rumble-strip a good two turns before the finish line. I suspect this is to somehow prevent people from reversing a hundred feet into a runoff and taking flying starts to the lap line but it's still really annoying when I don't notice my awesome lap is dirty until it's too late to rewind.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Blame the idiots who would camp out in private lobbies and use a fast cars to "tow" slower cars around the track with the sole intent of cheesing the leaderboards.

There's lots of ways Turn 10 could have solved that problem I guess, but they went the easy route.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

xzzy posted:

Blame the idiots who would camp out in private lobbies and use a fast cars to "tow" slower cars around the track with the sole intent of cheesing the leaderboards.

There's lots of ways Turn 10 could have solved that problem I guess, but they went the easy route.

I understand why the slow car gets penalised as they're in the draft, but why does the lead car infront get penalised - I'm not familiar with aerodynamics but is there a speed increase for you when a car is in your draft? Or have T10 literally done that to penalise both drivers for possibly gaming the system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm still lost - 1:35 to 1:45 on cold tires out of the pits on the Nordschleife? Am I missing something?
It's me being used to normal sized tracks. =)

That's supposed to be 10:35 to 10:45 on a standing start single test lap.

From a standing start, Joe was turning pretty consistent 10:38.xxs in his B-class Alfa, and I was turning 10:51 at first, then I added ~10 HP (Being in the 30% Power class means I actually added ~35HP worth of parts to get there), and my time dropped to around 10:43.xx, and the distance separating us after 13 miles was less than 800 feet. We were both pretty happy with the outcome and think that it'll be a pretty tight and fun race on Wednesday.

I'll set up another practice session tonight for those what wants some practices.

These are some (honestly, too well loved) projects that Joe dug up - They're all a little...finished...I guess.

Other spots to look for ideas:
http://bringatrailer.com/category/race-car/
http://bringatrailer.com/category/under-20k/
http://vara.freeforums.org/production-race-cars-for-sale-f25.html
http://ranwhenparked.net/
http://www.kitcars.com/classifieds/adcategory.asp?AID=20&SID=753086489

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 27, 2012

• Locked thread