Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

JingleBells posted:

I understand why the slow car gets penalised as they're in the draft, but why does the lead car infront get penalised - I'm not familiar with aerodynamics but is there a speed increase for you when a car is in your draft? Or have T10 literally done that to penalise both drivers for possibly gaming the system?

Yes, in drafting, both cars go faster. Not only does the car behind benefit from not having to carve through the air, the car in front doesn't have to both with air spilling off the back. A lot of people focus on frontal aerodynamics without realizing that how air comes off the back is equally important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Man, this is why I don't race online. You guys are doing 10:30s in Bs and Cs and I would be lucky to get that time in an Ultimate Aero. I took my B495 GTI on 3 laps around the ring a few days ago and I don't think I cracked 12 minutes.

Why must I suck at everything I enjoy?:saddowns:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

projecthalaxy posted:

Man, this is why I don't race online. You guys are doing 10:30s in Bs and Cs and I would be lucky to get that time in an Ultimate Aero. I took my B495 GTI on 3 laps around the ring a few days ago and I don't think I cracked 12 minutes.

Here's one thing I learned about time and racing, just go slow to go fast. I wish Forza 4 had some sort of sector timer to show where you are losing time or gaining it, like with iRacing or RaceOn. Sometimes you think you're losing time in a turn or a certain sector and you don't realize that you're not.

Also be sure to check your inputs. One race I noticed my Miata was slower than usual and saw that my pedals weren't putting out full input. I just had to tighten a screw but sometimes I've had controllers get so worn out and old that either the triggers spike or don't get full input.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ether Frenzy posted:

Cool - I think I can sneak out of work in time for that this wednesday. I'll tune up a car to spec and find an appropriate real life classified that matches - probably going to aim at 300-350ish PI.
And 30 minutes after I posted this, the bulb in my projector blew up. :suicide:

Doubtful the UPS guy will arrive with the replacement in time for this race but who knows. Oh well!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

einTier posted:

Yes, in drafting, both cars go faster. Not only does the car behind benefit from not having to carve through the air, the car in front doesn't have to both with air spilling off the back. A lot of people focus on frontal aerodynamics without realizing that how air comes off the back is equally important.
Which is why F1 regulates the "dirtyness" of the air coming off the back of the car.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

einTier posted:

It makes more sense to imagine the two cars as one really long car. The back car no longer has the high pressure zone at the front, but the front car no longer has a mega huge vacuum (from it's reference frame) right behind it. Or at least, I think that's how it works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

It makes more sense to imagine the two cars as one really long car. The back car no longer has the high pressure zone at the front, but the front car no longer has a mega huge vacuum (from it's reference frame) right behind it. Or at least, I think that's how it works.

That's more or less what's going on.. though I don't think calling it a vacuum is the correct term. The trailing car smooths out the vortex that develops behind a vehicle, and that vortex increases drag as it spins air around.

Mythbusters actually did decent episode on drafting several years ago.. though they were measuring fuel savings for riding in a semi's draft. It did a good job illustrating what's going on behind a moving vehicle.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

projecthalaxy posted:

Don't fret. Joe is some sort of mutant driver. Dudes like me and Crow T Macbot don't wear our red underwear on the outside of our blue spandex. =)

I usually like to keep my GoonMons cars under pretty tight wraps until the grand unveiling, but I'll spill this time.

I've built two that are workable and driveable. I'll describe the one that I'm pretty sure I'm *not* going to use.

The first *looks* like the mid-80's Ferrari GTS, but underneath all that primer(!) lies the (barely) beating heart of an '88 Fiero, complete with Turbo Hydramatic 125C three speed autobox.
Inspiration: This and this sad car.

Start with: Ferrari GTS.
Remove the interior, Add the Roll Cage
Add Race Transmission
Add some silly black painted wheels - the more spiderwebby, the better.
Upgrade the engine bits in any combination to get you from the stock 395 to ~470 HP. When you run with a 70% Power Handicap, this works out to 141 HP, 1HP more than the Fiero V6 had stock.
TH125 Autobox: Final Drive of 3.33 Set 1/2/3 to 2.84/1.60/1.0
Getrag 282 Manual: F/D 3.61. Set 1/2/3/4/5 to 3.5/2.05/1.38/0.94/0.72

An "alternate powerplant" that gives you flexibility to do what you need to get to that 10:40ish practice lap would be the 2.3 Liter Quad4. They were available stock in any configuration from 150-190 HP in the Olds Cutlass Calais/Pontiac Grand Am/Chevy Beretta/etc:
Modify to get 500-630 HP - Run in 30% class. Your car should wind up anywhere from A600 up through about S630ish (That is, if you're building this Fauxrarri). Don't worry about it, the Power Handicap will nerf that nicely. =)

To set up a practice lap:
Race Online
Create Room
Select Nordschleife as the track
Number of Laps = 1
Under Advanced Settings, scroll all the way to the bottom.
Set "Power Handicap" to (Pick One) 0%, 25%, 45%, 70%.
Set "Traction Handicap - Front" to 10%
Set "Traction Handicap - Rear to 10%
Accept
Select your car

Go run your test lap!

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 28, 2012

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jabs posted:

It's me being used to normal sized tracks. =)

That's supposed to be 10:35 to 10:45 on a standing start single test lap.

From a standing start, Joe was turning pretty consistent 10:38.xxs in his B-class Alfa, and I was turning 10:51 at first, then I added ~10 HP (Being in the 30% Power class means I actually added ~35HP worth of parts to get there), and my time dropped to around 10:43.xx, and the distance separating us after 13 miles was less than 800 feet. We were both pretty happy with the outcome and think that it'll be a pretty tight and fun race on Wednesday.

I'll set up another practice session tonight for those what wants some practices.

These are some (honestly, too well loved) projects that Joe dug up - They're all a little...finished...I guess.

Other spots to look for ideas:
http://bringatrailer.com/category/race-car/
http://bringatrailer.com/category/under-20k/
http://vara.freeforums.org/production-race-cars-for-sale-f25.html
http://ranwhenparked.net/
http://www.kitcars.com/classifieds/adcategory.asp?AID=20&SID=753086489

I've got something that I'm pretty happy with, but I need to figure out my power handicap. I'm running high 9:XXs from a standing start right now, so I'm thinking a 45% power cut might get me where I need to be.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
How the hell is rampage's time so f'ing good? I must have ran 10-15 laps and never did better than 1:57!?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
What assists do you have on? Most of them slow you down, and you really don't need them (other than the racing line if you're really new to Forza, though following that is slower than finding the best line yourself, since it gives you a really conservative line and has you braking way too hard and far too often).

Also, since Rampage's lap was dirty, technically any clean lap you put up is faster - the leaderboards are ordered by lap cleanliness, then by lap time, so a clean lap of 3:00 is higher on the board than his dirty 1:51. Admittedly I don't know if that's how the contest works, or if Turn 10 is just going by straight up lap times, but basically take it slow and work your way up, and 1:57 is easily beatable. I'm pretty much the worst driver in my club and I got to a 1:42 or something eventually.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Seymour Butts posted:

How the hell is rampage's time so f'ing good? I must have ran 10-15 laps and never did better than 1:57!?

I got a 1:46 with TCS and STM on. The best place to save a poo poo ton of time in that land yacht is the corkscrew. Brake as early as you can so by the time you turn into the screw can throttle down straight through it. You'll grace the strips a tad but it's clean and you'll have a crap load of speed built up. If you prefer 3rd person view than zoom out a bit so you can see what your front corners are doing.

Side note: I like to leave the full line on because I'm horrible at track memory but have no problems using it as a reference point to building better entry/brake points. Like the dude above me said, it's super conservative. More often than not it's calling for full braking when what you really should be doing it merely easing off the throttle and picking a more aggressive turn in spot.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 27, 2012

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The moment I stopped caring about the line was when I was hurling an Ultimate Aero down the back straight of Mulsanne at 225 and climbing and the line kicked in and demanded I slow down with 4 miles of nothing ahead of me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

The moment I stopped caring about the line was when I was hurling an Ultimate Aero down the back straight of Mulsanne at 225 and climbing and the line kicked in and demanded I slow down with 4 miles of nothing ahead of me.

No joke. Some of its suggestions are down right :psyduck:

There's a poo poo load of places on the Alps track that it literally thinks I must be driving a shopping cart with solid tires.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I got a 1:44 with no TCS or ABS not even trying very hard, its not THAT crazy. :( Set me as a rival ("[AUGR]MattD1zzl3") and copy my lines.

This is why im an advocate for stock unmodified cars, some of you are spoiled with "Race suspension, race roll bars, race tires" and have trouble with anything normal. I just about gave prettypanda a brain aneurysm by making him drive a stock E class car :)

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Just ran a 1:47.819 on the Rampage Challenge. Nothing happened :(

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
What were you hoping would happen? They arent giving the car out till march.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Seymour Butts posted:

Just ran a 1:47.819 on the Rampage Challenge. Nothing happened :(

Prizes don't go out until the contest ends.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

xzzy posted:

That's more or less what's going on.. though I don't think calling it a vacuum is the correct term. The trailing car smooths out the vortex that develops behind a vehicle, and that vortex increases drag as it spins air around.

Mythbusters actually did decent episode on drafting several years ago.. though they were measuring fuel savings for riding in a semi's draft. It did a good job illustrating what's going on behind a moving vehicle.

It's a pressure differential caused by the air displaced by the car, the air pressure behind the car is lower than in front, which actually creates a force that is trying to suck the car backwards, yadda yadda, aerodynamics, :techno:. But yes, 'vacuum' is an incorrect term, most race cars don't drive fast enough to create one.

To be fair, though, "aero push" only really occurs when the drafting car is immediatly behind the lead car, and usually only really matters in NASCAR (usually restrictor-plate races), as it's the only place where you can stay 2" off the back of someone's bumper and not get into trouble.

I think if you're more than 1/4 to 1/2 a car length from the leader, you can draft without creating the 'aero push' effect, so you generally won't see it pop up in other racing series. You will, however, often see the converse effect, which is that drafting kills any downforce gained by a front spoiler/splitter/wing/generating device. Now that, you'll see happen from time to time in F1 and other racing series.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I got a 1:44 with no TCS or ABS not even trying very hard, its not THAT crazy. :( Set me as a rival ("[AUGR]MattD1zzl3") and copy my lines.

This is why im an advocate for stock unmodified cars, some of you are spoiled with "Race suspension, race roll bars, race tires" and have trouble with anything normal. I just about gave prettypanda a brain aneurysm by making him drive a stock E class car :)

Hey! I still put down a 1:44 in the Rampage bus without TCS, ABS, or STM without doing more than 10 laps. I'm just much better with my stripey tuned cars.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
So I've got an A600 Silvia K's that I ran a dirty 9:57 in with the 45% power handicap... If I step up to the 70% field I fear that this car would have trouble running a 12 minute lap... I guess I'll decrease the power.

And there we go, a Mitsubishi GTO that does a 10:35 with the 45% power handicap and 10% traction handicap front and rear.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 28, 2012

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm seconding this only because I'm curious as to what everyone's strategy is when trying to compete in class restricted races. For instance, if I'm in a class-C race I'm usually picking a stock car that is maxed out for that class. Would I be doing myself a favor by starting with a worse car and upgrading it myself a class or two better? Just got the game, sorry for the dumb question.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Depends. A Ferrari 458 brought to a PI of 700 is probably going to be better almost all of the time than a Renaultsport Megane pumped up to 700. In my experience, at least.

Basically though if you're racing online by class, you'll want to be in a car that is absolutely maxed out for whichever class you're racing in.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
To me it seems like you want to give yourself a bit of room to work with. If you're trying to tune a C-Class car, start with something D class or very low C-Class. If you pick something that's like C420, 5 PI points doesn't give you much to work with. This won't apply to all cars, but if youre new it should give you something to go by.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Running a practice session.
Get in on this!

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Jabs posted:

Don't fret.

So I've got my comedy Yaris that I built for a run of Kaido in Rivals. The car itself has 150BHP, and entirely too many dollars / PI points spent on the bodywork / wheels / exhaust system. Pulled into the rules, it runs at B451.

As of currently, it's running a standing 10:09.132

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
If there is a NASCAR update/add on, it needs to include Chevy 3500 HDs carrying 200 gallons of jet-fuel driving around the race tracks for people to run into.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Seymour Butts posted:

I'm seconding this only because I'm curious as to what everyone's strategy is when trying to compete in class restricted races. For instance, if I'm in a class-C race I'm usually picking a stock car that is maxed out for that class. Would I be doing myself a favor by starting with a worse car and upgrading it myself a class or two better? Just got the game, sorry for the dumb question.

As a general rule of thumb, you want to start a class down- maybe two. One class is usually enough to put parts and tuning on to solve deficiencies in the car's make or adjust it to your style, two is either severe rebalancing or balancing plus extra gofastgood. Any more than that and odds are you're twisting the frame into knots with too much engine or handling harder than the suspension can deal with.

Big exceptions to this are purpose-built sports or racing cars. If the car went on to feature at rallies or other major racing events, odds are it can be tuned up pretty far (Miatas, Skylines, BMWs). For specific class-killers you'll need to dig around, maybe peek at an appropriate leaderboard to get some ideas.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

YF19pilot posted:

If there is a NASCAR update/add on, it needs to include Chevy 3500 HDs carrying 200 gallons of jet-fuel driving around the race tracks for people to run into.

Best NASCAR race ever tonight.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

YF19pilot posted:

Word. I just read this

T'internet posted:

Journeyman driver Dave Blaney was leading when a problem with Juan Pablo Montoya's car sent him spinning under caution into a safety truck.

The truck, which holds 200 gallons of jet kerosene, burst into flames. Montoya's car slid into the grass, and he gingerly climbed from it as fire trucks rushed to the scene. The inferno raged on, and NASCAR red-flagged the race with 40 laps remaining.

And thought to myself "I don't think that word means what they think it does."

Everything about NASCAR is hilarious.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
I finally beat Rampage's time.

When I figured out how, I felt really stupid.

You have to drive like he did.

*Auto Transmission ON*
Full racing line.

The Racing line will (effectively) give you a "heat map" of whether you're too fast or too slow at any given point if you keep doing what you're doing right now. It's fairly well matched to that pig of a car.

I knocked 5 full seconds off my previous attempt - on my second lap around the track.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I can't because I don't have an HDD. :(

I don't know why Ghosts, of all things, it's loving limited to consoles with an HDD.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

YF19pilot posted:

Ahahahah! I had to quit out of the practice session halfway through to watch this (sorry Jabs, I couldn't resist seeing the carnage on TV!)

It looks like some suspension component on Montoya's car blew out just before he came up to the dryer trucks and that sent him careening into the back of one. How perfect was that though that he nailed it square in the jet fuel tank? It's like some higher force wanted him dead. I'm not religious but drat that's wild poo poo.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Well, I ran a clean 10:34.4XX with 180 hp (@ a 70% handicap). I knocked it down to 177, but I didn't have time to run another lap. Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to get it finished up and throw some stickers on it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Well, I ran a clean 10:34.4XX with 180 hp (@ a 70% handicap). I knocked it down to 177, but I didn't have time to run another lap. Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to get it finished up and throw some stickers on it.

That's about exactly what my Mitsubishi GTO does. 176hp and it'll do a 10:35 flat. Mind you I'm running in the 45% group.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:f5: March DLC announcement is today. :f5:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

I said come in! posted:

:f5: March DLC announcement is today. :f5:
I want a Golf Mk2f G40 or breadvan.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I found an extremely misguided 300+ horsepower frankenCRX on Craigslist and tried to recreate it on Forza. The game says it has a PI of 500 something but I couldn't get it around the track in less than 11 minutes with no handicap due to the inappropriate suspension setup and the way it goes flying off the track every time the oversized turbo VTEC kicks in.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I found an extremely misguided 300+ horsepower frankenCRX on Craigslist and tried to recreate it on Forza. The game says it has a PI of 500 something but I couldn't get it around the track in less than 11 minutes with no handicap due to the inappropriate suspension setup and the way it goes flying off the track every time the oversized turbo VTEC kicks in.

Hahah I love cars like that, when you hit 6,000rpm and anything higher than that you've got zero traction no matter what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Falken posted:

I want a Golf Mk2f G40 or breadvan.

FT86, toyota chaser, pug 205 gti and T16 :colbert:

• Locked thread