Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Kazvall posted:

I vote Galladoria, but DS is fun, too. We still need to conquer all three dragons, man!

Hah, funny story about the dragons. Since we didn't expect to make it that far, we had no idea how to do that quest. Turns out we were doing it wrong. :downs:

In order to kill the three dragons, we first need to kill a Frontier dragon in each of the three realms' Frontiers and find some crazy guy's sword on Agramon. That sword is used to summon the dragons where Cuuldurach is. Not everyone in the group has to have a sword, so Waffle and I will try to get the swords on our characters and then get another dragonslaying zerg going. But we probably do need 2-3 full groups.

Galladoria will likely require more than one full group, so we might be in good shape for that dungeon if 2 groups show up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
calling all forest friends for a game of touch tail

NtotheTC posted:

Have any of you expeirenced/managed to fix the "camera shaking" issue that I seem to always get when I try to return to DAOC? The last two times I've tried I've been driven off because of this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eajuRQpg0I&feature=related

This video demonstrates what I mean, when the camera is turned/panned at all, it "shakes" about and at high speeds this is A) severely distracting and B) causes headaches.

The weird part is that I've completely altered my system since the last time I played this game, and I still get this stupid issue that seemingly has no fix.

Having the same issue as this guy mentioned in the last thread, and it is driving me crazy. I can't seem to focus on anything but the way the camera jitters when I use mouselook. Is there a fix for this? Also, it only happens if my character is moving (autorunning, stick, whatever) and I attempt to mouselook/pan the camera.

ggschmitty fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 24, 2012

Aborted
Aug 7, 2007

Boba Fatt
Is there any type of Auction House system in this game. I've just been using all the scrolls to buy BG gear.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

In housing there is a market browser npc which will let you browse peoples personal house vendors. You can then either run out to their house, or buy the item directly for a 20% markup. You also have to be on the same Ywain as the house, luckily there is a teleporter right near the browser guy.

For leveling the bounty stuff is fine, I wouldn't worry about buying stuff unless you are planning to stay in a bg, molvik or cathal etc, or until 50.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
Just an FYI to you casual readers of the thread, the reason the post count hasn't kept as steady is because everyone is being super active ingame and you should come join us!!!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Hah, funny story about the dragons. Since we didn't expect to make it that far, we had no idea how to do that quest. Turns out we were doing it wrong. :downs:

In order to kill the three dragons, we first need to kill a Frontier dragon in each of the three realms' Frontiers and find some crazy guy's sword on Agramon. That sword is used to summon the dragons where Cuuldurach is. Not everyone in the group has to have a sword, so Waffle and I will try to get the swords on our characters and then get another dragonslaying zerg going. But we probably do need 2-3 full groups.

Galladoria will likely require more than one full group, so we might be in good shape for that dungeon if 2 groups show up again.

How well can a Focus shield pet and a few healers/buffers do?

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Galladoria will likely require more than one full group

We made is most of the way down with 3 people :smug:

and a couple bots and two ml pets

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

concerned mom posted:

How well can a Focus shield pet and a few healers/buffers do?
A Focus shield pet would die pretty fantastically, I think. Cuuldurach nukes pretty hard, teleports the group into his den, and has a bunch of adds around him.

I've been told that he can be killed with 1 full group, but I think those people had to know what they were doing and be a lot more organized than we were. I've also been told that the traditional way to kill him is with 1 group of tanks on Cuuldurach, and 1 group of casters clearing adds. We might have some luck with that setup.

What that means for the Three Dragons quest, though, I'm not sure. I've heard the three dragons separately are easier than Cuuldurach, but I don't know if I should believe that.

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

We made is most of the way down with 3 people :smug:
I know people often farm Galla with an Enchanter, Mentalist, and a buffbot, so I think we'd be okay... but I thought we'd be fine on Cuuldurach with two groups, too, so I'm second-guessing myself a lot now. :argh:

ggschmitty posted:

Having the same issue as this guy mentioned in the last thread, and it is driving me crazy. I can't seem to focus on anything but the way the camera jitters when I use mouselook. Is there a fix for this? Also, it only happens if my character is moving (autorunning, stick, whatever) and I attempt to mouselook/pan the camera.
Is it possible that your computer is having trouble rendering the fancy textures? Although I would honestly expect it to behave a little differently if that were the case.

Since their last big patch, Waffle and I have also seen more "screen tearing" than before, where the screen will just randomly split. Waffle sees it across his entire screen, whereas I only notice it on a single piece of geometry (like a hill).

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Is it possible that your computer is having trouble rendering the fancy textures? Although I would honestly expect it to behave a little differently if that were the case.

Since their last big patch, Waffle and I have also seen more "screen tearing" than before, where the screen will just randomly split. Waffle sees it across his entire screen, whereas I only notice it on a single piece of geometry (like a hill).
No problems rendering any of the graphics - everything is smooth at 60+ fps on the highest settings. Also tried turning models to classic, turning off shadows, reflective water, and all sorts of combinations of the above. Still gets the jitters! I thought it was a mouse issue at first but it also happens if I pan the camera with the keyboard/turn with wasd. Unlike the video, it is not as bad and does not happen if my character is not moving... Only if I'm running.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The way we farmed the Mid dragon (almost the same mechanics as the Hib dragon) was with 2 groups. First one with ~6 tanks and the second was a group of Hunters for the adds. I was the bubble-bot Supp RM in the tank group, and we had an Aug healer as well for celerity plus bots for healing outside both groups. I was told archers are best because of their higher sustained damage and multiple damage types. This was back probably 3 years ago though so things may have changed!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Seriously, to all you thread readers out there: The last thread, no one was playing, now we can't keep people away.

Let's talk about full group RvR, and raiding, and lots of assjamming. Yummy.

Dud180
Dec 30, 2006
I havent played this games in years, but this thread has convinced me to give it another go. See you guys ingame soon :)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dud180 posted:

I havent played this games in years, but this thread has convinced me to give it another go. See you guys ingame soon :)

Do it. Do it now.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah I think we're way better off with a melee group than we are with a pile of casters on content like the dragon. I can't remember what the group makeups were but I think myself and Slaught were the only two that could really tank the dragon to begin with.

I'm working on getting my hero to CL10 for as much hp as possible, and respecing my realm abilities to get some more mastery of blocking. If I can get him to CL10, I should have around 3300-3400 hp with red buffs. Just over 3k now at CL6 and vendor buffs.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
I've almost got a Spiritmaster to level 50 :) Does anyone have a template or anything for SMs? I'm not even sure which spec to use at 50, presumably I'll be PvEing for a while getting gear etc so I'll probably try Summoning

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bloodbath posted:

I've almost got a Spiritmaster to level 50 :) Does anyone have a template or anything for SMs? I'm not even sure which spec to use at 50, presumably I'll be PvEing for a while getting gear etc so I'll probably try Summoning

This is what I use on my RM and SM, I just pass the gear back and forth between the two of them:

Statistic
Strength: 0/75
Constitution: 76/75
Dexterity: 107/103
Quickness: 0/75
Intelligence: 0/75
Piety: 102/101
Charisma: 0/75
Empathy: 0/75
Hits: 405/414
Power: 0/33

Resistance
Body: 26/26
Cold: 32/26
Heat: 26/26
Energy: 27/26+5
Matter: 27/26
Spirit: 36/26
Crush: 27/26+5
Thrust: 27/26
Slash: 26/26

Skill
Darkness: 11/11
Summoning: 11/11
Suppression: 11/11

Focus
Darkness: 50/50
Summoning: 50/50
Suppression: 50/50

Cap Increase
Dexterity: 23/26
Piety: 36/26
Hits: 174/200
Power: 8/50

TOA Bonus
Armour Factor: 24/50
Power Pool: 37/33
Casting Speed: 11/10
Spell Range: 14/10
Spell Damage: 11/10
Archery Damage: 11/10
Archery Range: 14/10
Archery Speed: 11/10
Resist Pierce: 15/10

Chest (Astral Tunic of Virulence):
Imbue: 26.0
Power Pool: 7
Acuity: 21
Constitution: 21
ALL magic skills: 3
Dexterity (Cap Increase): 8
Casting Speed: 4
Spell Damage: 4
Utility: 43.0
TOA Utility: 70.0
PvE Utility: 0.0

Arms (Crafted):
Imbue: 37.5/32 (Quality: 99)
Slash: 11%
Thrust: 5%
Crush: 11%
Dexterity: 10
Utility: 60.7
TOA Utility: 0.0

Head (Cloth Cap (All ToA)):
Imbue: 19.0
Acuity (Cap Increase): 10
Dexterity (Cap Increase): 10
Hits: 30
Spirit: 3%
Matter: 3%
Energy: 3%
Heat: 3%
Cold: 3%
Body: 3%
Resist Pierce: 5
Utility: 43.5
TOA Utility: 65.0

Legs (Astral Pants of Stellar Warding):
Imbue: 16.5
Dexterity: 21
ALL magic skills: 2
Piety (Cap Increase): 10
Armour Factor: 14
Spell Range: 3
Casting Speed: 4
Utility: 24.0
TOA Utility: 83.0

Hands (Crafted):
Imbue: 35.5/32 (Quality: 99)
Body: 5%
Thrust: 9%
Constitution: 13
Dexterity: 28
Utility: 55.3

Feet (Crafted):
Imbue: 37.0/32 (Quality: 99)
Crush: 5%
Thrust: 7%
Slash: 9%
Hits: 76
Utility: 61.0

Two-Handed (Astral Staff of Swarms):
Imbue: 17.0
ALL magic skills: 2
Hits: 40
Piety (Cap Increase): 11
Power Pool: 10
ALL spell lines (Focus): 50
Spell Damage: 4
Dexterity: 12
Utility: 29.0
TOA Utility: 87.0

Neck (Luminescent Diamond Necklace):
Imbue: 46.5
Constitution: 12
Cold: 6%
Heat: 6%
Matter: 6%
Crush: 6%
Thrust: 6%
Slash: 6%
Hits: 30
Hits (Cap Increase): 35
Acuity: 12
Utility: 95.5
TOA Utility: 8.8

Cloak (astral cloak of the etrenal):
Imbue: 29.0
ALL magic skills: 4
Dexterity: 21
Acuity: 21
Power (Cap Increase): 8
Casting Speed: 3
Spell Damage: 3
Spell Range: 2
Utility: 48.0
TOA Utility: 70.0

Jewel (Erinys Charm (Mid)):
Imbue: 32.0
Constitution: 15
Piety: 15
Energy: 5%
Spirit: 5%
Crush: 5%
Hits: 40
Spell Range: 5
Utility: 60.0
TOA Utility: 50.0

Belt (Soulbinder's Belt):
Imbue: 46.0
Body: 7%
Cold: 7%
Heat: 7%
Energy: 7%
Matter: 7%
Spirit: 7%
Hits: 35
Hits (Cap Increase): 40
Utility: 92.8
TOA Utility: 10.0

Left Ring (Dragontooth Bracelet):
Imbue: 31.0
Dexterity: 15
Cold: 4%
Heat: 4%
Spirit: 4%
Hits: 50
Dexterity (Cap Increase): 5
Acuity (Cap Increase): 5
Hits (Cap Increase): 55
Acuity: 15
Utility: 56.5
TOA Utility: 33.8

Right Ring (Zahur's Ring):
Imbue: 40.0
Body: 6%
Energy: 6%
Matter: 6%
Spirit: 6%
Hits: 60
Utility: 75.0

Left Wrist (Agramon's Demon Soul Crafted Bracer):
Imbue: 36.0
Constitution: 15
Heat: 6%
Energy: 6%
Spirit: 6%
Hits: 44
Hits (Cap Increase): 44
Utility: 69.0
TOA Utility: 11.0

Right Wrist (Bracelet of Zo'arkat):
Imbue: 24.0
Body: 5%
Matter: 5%
Spirit: 5%
Power Pool: 6
Acuity: 18
Spell Range: 4
Utility: 42.0
TOA Utility: 32.0

Mythirian (Drop):
Imbue: 0.0
Dexterity (Cap Increase): 5
Armour Factor: 10
Hits (Cap Increase): 40
Utility: 0.0
TOA Utility: 30.0

The Mythirian slot is just the armor bonuses. Also this template is pretty expensive.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

What time/day are we planning on galla or darkness rising?

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

madpanda posted:

What time/day are we planning on galla or darkness rising?

We were planning on doing Galla at 4 PM Eastern (3 PM Central) today, but Waffle and I went on a pre-tour last night and it sucked a lot. It's neat to see the area, but it takes forever to get anywhere and the dungeon is glitchy as hell.

So instead, at 4 PM Eastern, we'll see who shows up and find out if people want to do Darkspire or Fomor for PvE content, or we can run through some stuff that would take us out to RvR zones.

Galladoria. :argh:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm a no go :(

Wife and I are going to look at cars for her in a bit and then do dinner in the city somewhere, I'll be on at some point tonight though.

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
wow, this gameeeee. If there is anyone out there reading the thread who wants to scratch that DAoC itch but is worried about not having a 50, or it being too dated, or having trouble getting started, don't even worry about it. It was a little overwhelming at first and took a while to get used to the controls coming straight from SWTOR but you get used to it really fast.

It is just as easy as everyone says to level - rolled a warden mid afternoonish and got into a BG exp group starting from 11 that was SO efficient and leveled with them all the way to 35 in a matter of ~3-4 hours, if that. Then did some nice 8v8 from 35-39, hit RR2, and had a blast. Didn't have to worry about gear or anything since bounty points are so easy to get and you can buy a new set of gear every 5 levels.

Other nice perks include the fact that the game shits out black dye at you so you don't look like a poor unfashionable jerk, and teleporters EVERYWHERE. Everyone has also been super friendly and answering all of my questions even though I have maybe a billion.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with constantly going linkdead? It's happening every few minutes.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

concerned mom posted:

What's the deal with constantly going linkdead? It's happening every few minutes.

That's odd, haven't seen happening to anyone else. I would think it's your router, or a third party program causing it to stop.

In other news, my sub ran out, I forgot I had no money on my debit card, poo poo! I'll be back tomorrow.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

Kazvall posted:

That's odd, haven't seen happening to anyone else. I would think it's your router, or a third party program causing it to stop.

In other news, my sub ran out, I forgot I had no money on my debit card, poo poo! I'll be back tomorrow.

We lost all of the relics because you weren't online to help us defend them, AKA troll /as.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.
ohhh yes yes yes! Where did all my daoc account info go?!

I'm in for sure. downloading now

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ButtaKnife posted:

We lost all of the relics because you weren't online to help us defend them, AKA troll /as.

Yeah I tried getting a group in both /as and lfg and nothing :(

I eventually ended up with that Highlander guy who I'm not a big fan of, but after a rocky start we did ok for the brief time I was on.

I think from now on I'm running with the guild or Taunting Fate (they seem to like me enough) or not at all.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

Vermain posted:

If you didn't play this game when it first came out, chances are really good that you won't enjoy it now. To be frank: the combat is dated and clunky and harkens back to an earlier time of Everquest where watching your character swing slowly at something was acceptable gameplay. Things have changed, and growing up with MMOs like WoW does make DAoC seem considerably more slow paced and dull.

DAOC has one of if not the best and fastest PVP combat systems in place when it was peaking and honestly it probably still is the best even though not many people play it.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

Shux posted:

DAOC has one of if not the best and fastest PVP combat systems in place when it was peaking and honestly it probably still is the best even though not many people play it.

I think the "slow combat" argument comes from experiencing it at low level, when it is painfully slow. At level 35+, however, DAoC's combat is second to none in terms of speed and complexity. And that's a good thing. :)

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

ButtaKnife posted:

I think the "slow combat" argument comes from experiencing it at low level, when it is painfully slow. At level 35+, however, DAoC's combat is second to none in terms of speed and complexity. And that's a good thing. :)

My 2-hand Pally gave me carpel tunnel. Twisting 5ish chants and doing positional styles was suicidal.

I got the itch to play again so I went the Uthgard route. It has issues, but it seems fairly true to classic daoc without buffbots. If it gets boring I may look into reactivating on live.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

fishhooked posted:

When it gets boring I'm totally reactivating on live.

Join us.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

fishhooked posted:

I got the itch to play again so I went the Uthgard route. It has issues, but it seems fairly true to classic daoc without buffbots. If it gets boring I may look into reactivating on live.

I would say it gets boring in the early 20s when the grind starts to get hellish and you remember it only gets worse the further you get. Try the 14 free days with goons, bro.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006

Nap Ghost
Fine! But I refuse to level me up a buff bot!

I'll be in as a mentalist in a bit (is that ok?)

In as Combatcharles

fishhooked fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 28, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

fishhooked posted:

Fine! But I refuse to level me up a buff bot!

I'll be in as a mentalist in a bit (is that ok?)

In as Combatcharles

Don't need a buff bot, you can buy realm buffs now that last 2 hours (32g at the highest level).

Also if leveling was still at a glacial pace like it was in classic/SI era I would have quit before my 14 day trial ran out. Its light years better now.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

You get 14 days free every 3 or 6 months I forget. You do have to put in credit card info but it can be canceled before billing.

People are not joking about leveling speed, 1-50 in 8 hours seems about average. And thats not sitting around being PL'd either, just doing bg quests hopefully in groups.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I got Midgard pangs again so made a Berserker for a bit. Mids are the best :I

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

I got Midgard pangs again so made a Berserker for a bit. Mids are the best :I

My brother wanted to play a mid duo so we rolled a few characters and I picked up an old skald I had and ran around solo in thid and then the 25-29 bg for a bit last night.

I just don't want to level another hib character and both of mine are templated and ML10/CL10 so I'm just not sure what to do now. The people I like to RvR with other than the guild have told me they mainly run Thursday-Saturday.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006

Nap Ghost
What's a good ment spec? I was thinking about sticking with illusions till I get to 40 or so, then branch into holism for th nearsight.

Also, what is the difference between the charm(song) and the regular charm spell?

fishhooked fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 28, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm not 100% sure but I think one pulses (meaning it ticks every 5 seconds or so) and is basically reapplied every tick and has a chance to be resisted by the mob, and also drains power.

So if you send your pet in to attack something and then a couple ticks in a row get resisted, it may turn around and attack you instead.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

The song has a chance to resist each tic, but it has a higher monster level cap, 110% of casters level. The non song caps out at 100% of caster level and has a spell cap per rank, level 11 spell caps at mob level 26, 20 at mob level 40 and 32 at 50.

Charplan is a semi up to date character builder and helps with a lot of stuff like this.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Combo posted:

My brother wanted to play a mid duo so we rolled a few characters and I picked up an old skald I had and ran around solo in thid and then the 25-29 bg for a bit last night.

I just don't want to level another hib character and both of mine are templated and ML10/CL10 so I'm just not sure what to do now. The people I like to RvR with other than the guild have told me they mainly run Thursday-Saturday.

Come to the dark side of albion.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Twlight posted:

Come to the dark side of albion.....

Never.

Mid has been where I've always played except for jumping to Hib with goons just a few weeks ago, but I will absolutely never play alb. There's more than enough of you as is and zerging is boring as hell.

• Locked thread