Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

TriggerHappy posted:

I'm looking for a decent EQ pedal, and the MXR 10 band looks awesome, but I have a couple 9V spots left on my power supply chain. Is the Boss EQ-7 or whatever a decent choice?

My little brother got an MXR 10 band eq earlier this year- really nice pedal, fairly solid, simple layout and you can coax a lot of different sounds out of it. If nothing else, being able to cut out subbass frequencies (60hz) is really handy for getting rid of excess rumble at volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Speaking of EQs, a lightning strike couple days ago managed to fry my Godlyke Power-All (through a surge protector, even though everything else was fine). I replaced it with a Dan Electrode, but now my Dano Fish & Chips won't turn off. I don't know what the hell.

e: And now my F&C won't turn on. Frustrating.

Manky fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 12, 2011

K-Roy
Apr 7, 2004
I recently bought a Vox AC15CC1 (mainly for it's clean) and I'm looking for a new distortion pedal. Both the Boss DS-1 and the DOD Grunge pedals aren't really doing what I want anymore, especially with the new amp. I'm looking for something high gain with *awesome* mids and some versatility to it. I've been eying Wampler pedals (Triple Wreck, Pinnacle Deluxe) for a while now but haven't been able to try them out with a similar voiced amp.

So, for those with Voxes, what would you recommend?

edit: Asking specifically regarding Voxes because this thing's treble is ridiculous.

K-Roy fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 13, 2011

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you like the sound of your distortion but it sounds like too many high frequencies, you may just need an equalizer pedal. It can drastically shape the sound you get. Or at least that's been my experience with my Vox amp and single coil guitar.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Alternatively, look into modding that DS-1. Just by switching out some stuff, people have got it sounding somewhat comparable to boutique pedals, for about $30 in parts. I'm about to embark on a modding phase for my pedals (mainly the Russian Muff, DS-1 and Crybaby) since you can really get neat sounds out of your cheap stuff.

K-Roy
Apr 7, 2004
The Keely mod sounds pretty good. I've been looking for a project like that. I'll still probably continue to look for a new distortion pedal however.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Recently got a TC Electronics Nova Delay and holy poo poo, I could lose a week just playing around with what this thing can do. It's probably more delay than I need because I'm not a fan of reverse or slap back and it can do things like gradually slow down or speed up the delay rate, things I don't think I'd ever use, but overall this thing is amazing. The only thing it can't do is loop but I've heard mixed reviews about delay pedals that have a looping feature.

I'm so impressed with the quality of TC Electronics I've also ordered their tuning pedal. I'd sort of like to try some of their other stuff too.

That being said I'm thinking about a looper, but I've NEVER used one. Recommendations?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

forever whatever posted:

I'm so impressed with the quality of TC Electronics I've also ordered their tuning pedal. I'd sort of like to try some of their other stuff too.
I have the Nova Delay and their Nova Dynamics (dual Comp/Noise Gate) and love it as much or more than the delay.

K-Roy
Apr 7, 2004
I've come to a solution to my problem. I'm just gonna sell my VOX and buy a Blackstar.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

K-Roy posted:

I've come to a solution to my problem. I'm just gonna sell my VOX and buy a Blackstar.
:cheers: I gave away my VOX and bought a Blackstar. I don't regret it at all.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

After a blunder and a false start on live radio last night I finally remembered to ask this question.

I have a Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie fuzz running into an Ernie Ball volume pedal. I've noticed that when I set my pedals up (I don't have a pedalboard) I get an intermittent signal, and after some semi-frantic wiggling I've deduced that my right angled pedal cable is not playing nice with the jacks on top of the volume pedal with the side jacks of the fuzz pedal. This didn't seem to happen with I had the volume pedal at the front of the front of the chain. Could a short straight plug cable solve this issue?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have inexplicable problems when pairing certain patch cables to certain stomp boxes too :( There's something to be said for spending more than $1.00 on those 3" right angle patch cables in the fish bowl at the register...

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Yeah, it's just a question of quality. Boss sells or used to sell their own angled patch cables, which are/were fine - although a bit too short when you try to use them with non-Boss pedals with the I/O on top. The real cheapo ones are just delayed frustratrion bombs.

Some people just sacrifice a rainy Sunday afternoon and make their own from Klotz/Schultz/etc. bulk cable; with Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors or similar quality. May look a bit over the top, and can be clunky cause of the extra space the connectors take up, but you'll never waste time over that crap again.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I'm expecting my tax return any day now, and my old Ibanez Tubescreamer hasn't really been cutting it lately. Anyone got suggestions for a good OD/distortion? I play a PRS through a Mesa Express 5:50, I'm looking for something similar to Dave Knudson's heavier parts on Minus the Bear's OMNI.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Yarbald posted:

I'm expecting my tax return any day now, and my old Ibanez Tubescreamer hasn't really been cutting it lately. Anyone got suggestions for a good OD/distortion? I play a PRS through a Mesa Express 5:50, I'm looking for something similar to Dave Knudson's heavier parts on Minus the Bear's OMNI.

The Fulltone OCD is pretty highly regarded and would probably fit well with that style.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Hey goons, if you needed a pedal repaired or modified, where would you go? I can't find anyone local to me on the east end of Long Island, and while I'm sure there's a bunch of places in NYC, the trip in and out of the city would cost me as much or more as it would to mail them somewhere.

I've got a couple older Electro-Harmonix pedals that I'd like to get some work done on. I have a Russian Small Stone Phaser that sometimes needs to be turned on and off a few times before the effect comes on fully, a Russian Big Muff that sounds kind of fizzy when the tone knob is past 12 o'clock, and a Deluxe Electric Mistress that has a huge volume drop problem.

I've also got a newer Big Muff with Tone/Wicker control that's just plain broke and I have no idea why.

Any recommendations or any goons that want to take a whack at any of my gear?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Epi Lepi posted:

Hey goons, if you needed a pedal repaired or modified, where would you go? I can't find anyone local to me on the east end of Long Island, and while I'm sure there's a bunch of places in NYC, the trip in and out of the city would cost me as much or more as it would to mail them somewhere.

I've got a couple older Electro-Harmonix pedals that I'd like to get some work done on. I have a Russian Small Stone Phaser that sometimes needs to be turned on and off a few times before the effect comes on fully, a Russian Big Muff that sounds kind of fizzy when the tone knob is past 12 o'clock, and a Deluxe Electric Mistress that has a huge volume drop problem.

I've also got a newer Big Muff with Tone/Wicker control that's just plain broke and I have no idea why.

Isn't EHX located in NYC? Have you tried emailing/calling them to see if you can just send it into them? Even if it's older, they're known for having great customer service in the past. Can't hurt to try.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Epi Lepi posted:

I'd see what EHX in NYC can do for you. If that doesn't work out for you, how far east are you on LI? I'm around Selden and I could take a whack at it if that's not too far. I just recently fixed my Black Russian Muff.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'd see what EHX in NYC can do for you. If that doesn't work out for you, how far east are you on LI? I'm around Selden and I could take a whack at it if that's not too far. I just recently fixed my Black Russian Muff.

I'm actually really close to you, I live in Medford. I'm willing to have you take a look at my Russian Muff while I try to get EHX to help with the rest. Since it doesn't seem like you have PMs, email me at epi.lepi.sa@gmail.com and we'll talk about it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I've been getting awful feedback out of my rig so I went piece by piece to figure out what was causing it and determined that it's my Tubescreamer (TS9). Now, obviously adding gain will cause feedback, but I mostly use the TS for the extra bit of bark it gives my sound, not for the distortion. I keep the gain knob at about 9 o'clock on the pedal and between 12 and 1 on my 5150.

I'm running an ISP Decimator and I've even tried having a second noisegate (an NS-2) in the loop, but no dice. I've tried lowering the gain on both the pedal and the amp, as well as turning it way down on the amp and getting most of the distortion from the pedal, but it still squeals. I'd think there must be something wrong with the pedal, but the other guitarist in my band claims his tubescreamer does the same thing.

The feedback is pretty terrible, even with both noise gates dimed and choking the life out of my tone. Is there something wrong with the pedal or is this pretty normal for TS9s?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

plester1 posted:

The Fulltone OCD is pretty highly regarded and would probably fit well with that style.

Thanks, I picked one of these up and I am loving it!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Drifter287 posted:

I've been getting awful feedback out of my rig so I went piece by piece to figure out what was causing it and determined that it's my Tubescreamer (TS9). Now, obviously adding gain will cause feedback, but I mostly use the TS for the extra bit of bark it gives my sound, not for the distortion. I keep the gain knob at about 9 o'clock on the pedal and between 12 and 1 on my 5150.

I'm running an ISP Decimator and I've even tried having a second noisegate (an NS-2) in the loop, but no dice. I've tried lowering the gain on both the pedal and the amp, as well as turning it way down on the amp and getting most of the distortion from the pedal, but it still squeals. I'd think there must be something wrong with the pedal, but the other guitarist in my band claims his tubescreamer does the same thing.

The feedback is pretty terrible, even with both noise gates dimed and choking the life out of my tone. Is there something wrong with the pedal or is this pretty normal for TS9s?

I actually have TS-9 that use for just about the same effect as you, but it doesn't give me those kinds of problems. I might not play as oud as you though. I use it to give a boost to the gain on my fender blues deville. What kind of pups does your guitar have? How close do you stand to your amp?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Maybe try something else? Its not like theres a shotage of TS derivd overdrives.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

massive spider posted:

Maybe try something else? Its not like theres a shotage of TS derivd overdrives.

Speaking of that...

I'm looking for a distortion pedal to put in front of my F-30 to be able to either use it with the clean channel to get a more mellow drive, or use it with the drive channels to tighten it up and get some more crunchies. I was thinking about just building a BYOC Overdrive 2. Anything around that price that's already built and similarly featured / quality?

Guitar is an RGA121 with Crunch Lab / Liquifire and the F-30 has a G12K100 speaker, if it matters.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

HollisBrown posted:

I actually have TS-9 that use for just about the same effect as you, but it doesn't give me those kinds of problems. I might not play as oud as you though. I use it to give a boost to the gain on my fender blues deville. What kind of pups does your guitar have? How close do you stand to your amp?

I mainly use two 7 strings; one with a Dimarzio D-Sonic/Air Norton combo and the other with EMG 707. I realize those are hot pickups but like I said, I'm not using a ton of gain, all things considered. I try to stand as far as away as possible and face away from the map, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Why are most volume pedals $80 and up? I didn't think you needed anything more than a potentiometer and some capacitors...

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Manky posted:

Why are most volume pedals $80 and up? I didn't think you needed anything more than a potentiometer and some capacitors...

And a pedal to put it in. That's the expensive part. Find a busted wah/volume pedal and gut it if you want to build your own.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For a passive volume pedal, yeah you're looking at $4 for the two 1/4" jacks, $3 for the potentiometer and $11 for an aluminum enclosure. Plus about 8 inches of wire. The fully adjustable foot pedal with 2+ inches of travel is going to be difficult. You might be able to cobble something together out of some wood and string for under $20, but you're going to be constantly repairing it.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I have this volume pedal ad it was cheap ~$70 and works great. Wiring is good and feels really solid.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/modtone-mt-vol-xcelerator-volume-pedal/484945000000000

Rog McDodge
Oct 21, 2005
I've just got hold of a Blackstar Artisan 15 and am noticing how 'dry' it sounds for lead work.

Do I want reverb or delay for solos? I've always had reverb built into my amps so this is quite a stark change...

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
The guitarist in the band I'm playing with was trying to think of a way to run his signal through an iPhone with the iKaoscillator app as part of the effects chain running into his amp. Is this possible?

I can see how you can get the signal into the iPhone with a 1/4" to a 1/8" adapter, but I'm not sure how you get it to run out to the other pedals and ultimately to the amp.

(I hope this hasn't been addressed already, but I couldn't find it while going through the past posts here.)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TyChan posted:

The guitarist in the band I'm playing with was trying to think of a way to run his signal through an iPhone with the iKaoscillator app as part of the effects chain running into his amp. Is this possible?

I can see how you can get the signal into the iPhone with a 1/4" to a 1/8" adapter, but I'm not sure how you get it to run out to the other pedals and ultimately to the amp.

(I hope this hasn't been addressed already, but I couldn't find it while going through the past posts here.)

I think an iRig will do what you want. As long as there's not an issues using the headphone out to go the effects chain, but I assume 1/8 to a 1/4 adapter would work.

Man, I wish Android didn't apparently have some system audio issues where they can't get the latency usable for stuff like iRig. It looks pretty cool.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007
Does anyone know what the big black pedal Carl Newman is using in this pic? Doesn't look familiar to me.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Looks like an EHX Big Muff to me.
\/\/\/\/\/\/ It's hard to tell from the pic but i think it's one of the army green ones. I've actually got an original Russian Big Muff and the sound it makes could destroy planets.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 28, 2012

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Stonking big metal case, 3 knobs on top, industrial toggle switch surrounded by black fascia fill, sockets at back...

Yeah, that looks like a Big Muff Pi to me.

For comparison:

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007

HollisBrown posted:

Looks like an EHX Big Muff to me.
\/\/\/\/\/\/ It's hard to tell from the pic but i think it's one of the army green ones. I've actually got an original Russian Big Muff and the sound it makes could destroy planets.

I agree that it does look like a Big Muff too, but the knobs look somewhat different and there are two foot switches on it. Maybe it could be a custom? Not that you couldn't use them together, but I figured if he already had the TS he wouldn't need the Big Muff with it; since he's only using two pedals I figured he would have some other effect.

Thanks for the replies!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

I agree that it does look like a Big Muff too, but the knobs look somewhat different and there are two foot switches on it. Maybe it could be a custom? Not that you couldn't use them together, but I figured if he already had the TS he wouldn't need the Big Muff with it; since he's only using two pedals I figured he would have some other effect.
There have been masses of Big Muff variants, clones and mods made over the years so who knows. I'm pretty sure I've never seen two identical builds outside stores. Despite the BM and TS having roughly overlapping capabilities, it's possible that he's got both them set to different tones for easy switching. After all, the quickest reload is a different weapon.

It's quite refreshing to see such a restrained pedal board, to be honest.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
uh, Tubescreamers and Big Muffs are wildly different, fellas

That does not appear to be a Big Muff though. Two footswitches and four knobs.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

dancehall posted:

uh, Tubescreamers and Big Muffs are wildly different, fellas

That does not appear to be a Big Muff though. Two footswitches and four knobs.

I think that's another pedal behind the Muff that just happens to line up with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Rotten Cookies posted:

I think that's another pedal behind the Muff that just happens to line up with it?

Don't think so. Here, this seems to be another angle of the same pedal http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ov0lFQkGnpY/TcdfNDTCMPI/AAAAAAAAAH8/St2t41Sy6sc/s1600/IMG_2156.JPG