Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Wedemeyer posted:

Tony Stark is doing the 'show my butt and chest/boobs' pose now, and Back Widow is carrying Thor's hammer. Okay then. Maybe it's because I can't see their feet, but their respective heights is weird. Stark, Thor and Captain America look like giants.

I'll give it that, it's pretty much a gender-reversal of usual comicbook cover poses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Aatrek posted:

The new Avengers one-sheet. Is the Hulk really supposed to be three stories tall?

So are they ordered by how well their individual movies did? Because I'd have thought Captain America would be placed more prominently than Thor.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

RDJ's head and body are not from the same picture, and yeah, Captain America is like 50 feet tall. I'll blame Joss Whedon for that poster because why not.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think Hulk is standing on top of that car but that poster isn't for "us". I don't think Iron Man ever fights without his helmet off (that sounds so nerdy).

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Stare-Out posted:

RDJ's head and body are not from the same picture, and yeah, Captain America is like 50 feet tall. I'll blame Joss Whedon for that poster because why not.

Given that he usually escapes all blame for any problems involved in his works, sounds pretty fair.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I like how they tried to make all the lighting come from the same direction but didn't quite pull it off.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Aatrek posted:

The new Avengers one-sheet. Is the Hulk really supposed to be three stories tall?

As far as I know, comics Hulk has sometimes been a fixed-height, and at other times he gets bigger the angrier he is. The first Hulk movie used the latter, to the point that he's something like 20 feet tall during the Hulk-Dogs fight. The newer Edward Norton Hulk film seems to keep him at a fixed height.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Perhaps I am naive when it comes to film marketing, but do they really have to photoshop in the pictures from other sources? With the gazillion dollars spent on marketing, would it really be that difficult to get all the actors to take a bunch of photo for sole purpose of making decent film posters?

itrorev fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 28, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

itrorev posted:

Perhaps I am naive when it comes to film marketing, but do they really have to photoshop in the pictures from other sources? With the gazillion dollars spent on marketing, would it really be that difficult to get all the actors to take a bunch of photo for sole purpose of making decent film posters?

How often does this question come up in this thread? I think it's every twenty pages or so, I'm not sure. I'd have to go through the old one to get a clearer picture.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aatrek posted:

No, but I'm pretty sure that's just some cardboard cut-outs that are used to distract the not-Skrulls during the climax of the film, so...

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

jojoinnit posted:

How often does this question come up in this thread? I think it's every twenty pages or so, I'm not sure. I'd have to go through the old one to get a clearer picture.

It's a fair question though. I know it would be difficult to get all the actors together with hectic schedules and all, but why cant they just take an hour on one of the days where they're shooting a group scene and take a picture?

It seems so simple but I'm sure it's wildly impossible for some reason.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

jojoinnit posted:

So are they ordered by how well their individual movies did? Because I'd have thought Captain America would be placed more prominently than Thor.

Thor made significantly more money.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Ez posted:

It's a fair question though. I know it would be difficult to get all the actors together with hectic schedules and all, but why cant they just take an hour on one of the days where they're shooting a group scene and take a picture?

It seems so simple but I'm sure it's wildly impossible for some reason.

IIRC it's because actors have specific headshots that they like that they want to be used for posters. You could do a group pic but if anyone or their agent is unhappy it all has to be changed. I'd imagine when it comes to this many stars it'd be almost impossible to please everyone so they just settle for photoshop wankery on pre-approved headshots.

FoneBone posted:

Thor made significantly more money.
Huh. Colour me surprised.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Who is the idiot on the left of the poster? I don't do comics.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

echoplex posted:

Who is the idiot on the left of the poster? I don't do comics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkeye_%28comics%29

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

jojoinnit posted:

Huh. Colour me surprised.

Me too. I thought Thor was a ridiculously bad movie. Captain America wasn't great or anything, but it was certainly better than Thor.

Did CA's association with "RAH RAH! GO AMERICA! USA! USA! USA!" hurt its chances overseas?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Me too. I thought Thor was a ridiculously bad movie. Captain America wasn't great or anything, but it was certainly better than Thor.

Did CA's association with "RAH RAH! GO AMERICA! USA! USA! USA!" hurt its chances overseas?

Pretty much. Speaking as a Brit I enjoyed The First Avenger, and I felt it was at least as good a movie as Thor (which was not bad, whatever you say), but Cap is too "America-centric" a character to do well abroad.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If I remember correctly, there wasn't much RAH RAH AMERICA at all. 'Captain America' was a pathetic propaganda pawn for buying bonds, his powers came from a foreign scientist and his team consisted of several different ethnicities and nationalities.

Or am I forgetting it wrong?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If I remember correctly, there wasn't much RAH RAH AMERICA at all. 'Captain America' was a pathetic propaganda pawn for buying bonds, his powers came from a foreign scientist and his team consisted of several different ethnicities and nationalities.

Or am I forgetting it wrong?

It's the whole "American won the war and was loving awesome,and,and look we have a super soldier!" thingy that wasn't very liked by people who aren't comic book readers.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Desperado Bones posted:

It's the whole "American won the war and was loving awesome,and,and look we have a super soldier!" thingy that wasn't very liked by people who aren't comic book readers.

That's loving stupid. Never mind the fact that he didn't win the war. He just defeated the fictional nazi off-shoot, Hydra.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Desperado Bones posted:

They made a point to show he was not fighting Nazis. Also he was allied with non-americans.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

jojoinnit posted:

IIRC it's because actors have specific headshots that they like that they want to be used for posters. You could do a group pic but if anyone or their agent is unhappy it all has to be changed. I'd imagine when it comes to this many stars it'd be almost impossible to please everyone so they just settle for photoshop wankery on pre-approved headshots.
It's not even just the actors, as I'm sure various executives have their own ideas for what "needs" to be on a poster (and sometimes the aim of a campaign will shift well after filming ends, too).

Jedit posted:

Pretty much. Speaking as a Brit I enjoyed The First Avenger, and I felt it was at least as good a movie as Thor (which was not bad, whatever you say), but Cap is too "America-centric" a character to do well abroad.

Actually, it made the majority of its worldwide grosses outside the US - not the case for many superhero films in the past decade (both Iron Man films, both Nolan Batman films, most of the X-Men movies).

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 28, 2012

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Man that Avengers poster is weird. The whole thing is stylized enough where you'd think they could just go crazy with the contrast and HDR on everyone and have them all come out looking roughly uniform, but somehow it still has that copy-and-paste effect.

And as for the sizes of the characters... I don't even know where to begin.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

But if you aren't seeing the movie in the first place, all you know about it is the phrase "Captain America" and that probably gives off enough of a "this movie isn't for me" vibe on its own.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

They made a point to show he was not fighting Nazis. Also he was allied with non-americans.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's loving stupid. Never mind the fact that he didn't win the war. He just defeated the fictional nazi off-shoot, Hydra.

I think it was a very risky movie, because we all know there are a lot of countries that got and still get a lot of poo poo from some Americans(not all of them, some of you are cool), so Captain America isn't a very loved character, no matter if he is fighting real Nazis or not.

Anyways, why don't we forget about it and keep posting movie posters? Uh?

Here, for the nostalgic goon:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

McFarlane toys did a "3d" version of that poster along with others, they are pretty great.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Aatrek posted:

I like how even the poster has them just posing on some random city block, like the trailers. Is that seriously the best they can come up with? "The whole world is at stake, but how about we just fight this war on this one block of fake-New York City".
Awesome.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Desperado Bones posted:

I love this poster because it highlights one of my favorite things about the movie-- that Robo drives a beat-up Ford Taurus. Which, if you look at his legs, he can't even fit into right.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I really like this alternate cover for that lovely movie:

Almost makes me want to give the black and white version a try. Almost.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Take it from someone who considers that movie to be great, the black and white version is awesome.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

The Triumphant posted:

I love this poster because it highlights one of my favorite things about the movie-- that Robo drives a beat-up Ford Taurus. Which, if you look at his legs, he can't even fit into right.

Yeah, when Weller drove he did so without the bottom half of the suit right? Also there are no full body shots of him getting out of a car in the movie.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

The Triumphant posted:

He can't afford the new 6000 SUX with a cops salary.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

While I love the movie, I love it even more in black and white. It's very much a feature length Twilight Zone episode without the Serling narration.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Guess I'll give the b/w version another shot, just to see if I hate it less. (it had its good points though)

Hey! Guess what abomination most of us forgot about!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Guess I'll give the b/w version another shot, just to see if I hate it less. (it had its good points though)

:cawg: Hahahahahahahahaha What the gently caress? Aside from not having his real body, the way his head was deformed so it could fit in the first poster is hilarious !

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think we agreed that the posters reminded us all of those Mac Tonight ads.

http://youtu.be/LaDgTkqF7rY

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Captain America should at LEAST be in front of Hawkeye.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think we've all seen this poster already but it bears repeating for the new thread:

I really, really, REALLY hate this film. I rented it out of curiosity and just sat in annoyance at a cast filled to the brim with smug arseholes. When the uber-"pretentious" movie-within-a-movie in your "HEY GUYS ISN'T THE MOVIE BUSINESS WACKY!?!!" flick looks like it might actually be a half-decent film, you're doing something wrong.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Not only did I remember, I went through the old thread to dig these photoshops out:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What is up with actors not playing Hulk more than once? All the Avengers are played by the same people but Hulk has had 3 actors in 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oldpainless posted:

What is up with actors not playing Hulk more than once? All the Avengers are played by the same people but Hulk has had 3 actors in 10 years.

Bana film being another studio and a box office failure.
Norton being a huge rear end in a top hat to work with and would take control of the movie.