Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Just ordered 2 of those M4's from Newegg. Can't wait to get one in my laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

In a way I'm glad that deal's sold out because I cannot afford to drop $260 on ssd's right now like I tempted to do.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Ooh man I'm glad I got one right before it sold out. I am gonna demote my BSODing OCZ Agility 3 down to my laptop so hard. After I finally get them to approve an RMA, someday.

The foster
Jun 22, 2003
Just because I'm not born yet, doesn't mean I won't slap you in the nuts
I bought a Corsair Performance 3 128GB in september last year, and did a fresh install of Win 7 on it. Even though I didn't run any benchmarks on it I was relatively happy with the speed increase.
A week ago a friend asked me to test my SSD because he wasn't happy with his own. This is what I got:

What could be the reason for this abysmal performance? I'm guessing the percieved speed increase was because of the clean Win7 install.
My motherboard is an Asus P5KPL, wich apparently doesn't support AHCI because of some licensing issue.
The option doesn't exist in BIOS. But still, it supports SATA II so I should be getting much better results than this, right?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Scored one of the 128GB Crucial drives this morning to throw into my desktop. It's chugging along with a pair of 2TB slow-rear end drives in it, and is constantly grinding. I've disabled the SATA3 controller on my mobo, because I didn't want to see its bios screen when I booted and it didn't matter with super slow platter drives, but now I'll feel bad if I'm not using it to its full advantage.

Looking forward to a massive speed increase on this thing. And I'm glad to see SSD's come down to earth on the prices.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Anyone have any glowing experiences with hybrid drives as primary drives in a laptop? Newegg has the 500gb seagate for 99 today. I'm using an ancient 60gb agility for the time being, but I've been loading out for a lower-end 120.
The 500GB Momentus XT is a bad drive. If you want a hybrid, either get their 750GB (which is the new one) or none at all.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Civil posted:

Scored one of the 128GB Crucial drives this morning to throw into my desktop. It's chugging along with a pair of 2TB slow-rear end drives in it, and is constantly grinding. I've disabled the SATA3 controller on my mobo, because I didn't want to see its bios screen when I booted and it didn't matter with super slow platter drives, but now I'll feel bad if I'm not using it to its full advantage.

Looking forward to a massive speed increase on this thing. And I'm glad to see SSD's come down to earth on the prices.

You will love it. I bought one today, I have no clue what I am going to do with it but I couldn't pass up the price on it today. I now will have 3 128GB M4's (desktop, laptop and then this extra one).

I'm sure Ill find a use for it, probably throw VM's on it or something.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Either that's the 100% shittiest motherboard/BIOS in the world, or you're overlooking something. AHCI is a de facto standard. What's the specific motherboard?

I know this is from a bunch of pages back, but I think I might have the same dilemma. I was looking over the specs of my board and didn't see AHCI mentioned. Pretty sure I have revision 1.0 after looking at my board and the pictures of each on the site.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3305#sp

Just how screwed am I? :ohdear:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Shyfted One posted:

I know this is from a bunch of pages back, but I think I might have the same dilemma. I was looking over the specs of my board and didn't see AHCI mentioned. Pretty sure I have revision 1.0 after looking at my board and the pictures of each on the site.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3305#sp

Just how screwed am I? :ohdear:

From a search of "GA-X58A-UD3R AHCI" it appears that your board has AHCI and you just need to enable it in the BIOS.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

LaptopGun posted:

Before you had to burn the upgrade program to a CD and boot off of it. Thankfully Intel rewrote the SSD Toolbox to enable updates through the program. Install the latest SSD Toolbox from Intel's site, open up the toolbox, and click on Firmware Update in the left hand column. Follow the prompts and set aside a little down time. Works for Vista at least, since that's what I run, and I assume it works fine for 7 and XP. The notes say Mac OSX is supported.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

One caveat: I don't know how if the Toolbox can update drives in RAID (if that's what you were looking to do with both your drives).

Awesome, thanks!

japtor posted:

Why'd you get the G2 over the 320, just a good deal?

Reliability. The drives are going into a computer that I'm collocating, and the x25-m edges out the 320 in terms of reliability. Wish I could have found a deal though, the X25-Ms are at least 40% more expensive per GB than the 320.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

wanderlost posted:

Reliability. The drives are going into a computer that I'm collocating, and the x25-m edges out the 320 in terms of reliability. Wish I could have found a deal though, the X25-Ms are at least 40% more expensive per GB than the 320.
What led you to believe the X25-M G2 would be more reliable than the SSD 320?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

wanderlost posted:

Awesome, thanks!

You're welcome but unfortunately it looks like I'm wrong. Japtor quoted the release notes that says the toolbox only updates Windows instalations. Macs and Linux still need to burn and boot an iso for an update program.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The foster posted:

I bought a Corsair Performance 3 128GB in september last year, and did a fresh install of Win 7 on it. Even though I didn't run any benchmarks on it I was relatively happy with the speed increase.
A week ago a friend asked me to test my SSD because he wasn't happy with his own. This is what I got:

What could be the reason for this abysmal performance? I'm guessing the percieved speed increase was because of the clean Win7 install.
My motherboard is an Asus P5KPL, wich apparently doesn't support AHCI because of some licensing issue.
The option doesn't exist in BIOS. But still, it supports SATA II so I should be getting much better results than this, right?
The perceived speed increase was probably cause the access time, if you were coming off a platter drive at least (which would be around 10ms). No clue what's up with those low speeds though.

Alereon posted:

What led you to believe the X25-M G2 would be more reliable than the SSD 320?
All I can think is write cycles for 34 vs 25nm, or the 8MB bug apparently still happening.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

japtor posted:

Join in on that forum doing endurance tests :v:. Are you watching the write speeds too? I think the SF drives people were testing just slowed down/throttled if they were writing enough so they wouldn't kill themselves...well the SF drives that lasted that long in the first place.

Ended up benchmarking the drive again once it hit 271TB written and 21% life remaining:

http://www.storagereview.com/ssd_performance_review_270tb_written

Next up is seeing where it dies and pretty much starting over on some new hardware. So far none of the expected speed throttling yet... Maybe it comes in at 10% left when the P/E cycles are exhausted and you just have reserved blocks left?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is there a guide out there anywhere for setting up encryption using TrueCrypt on SSD setups? I've got windows on an SSD and my user profile on an HDD and I want to encrypt all my drives, but I'm thinking problems will arise if I have to manually mount my user profile drive after booting windows.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

dietcokefiend posted:

Ended up benchmarking the drive again once it hit 271TB written and 21% life remaining:

http://www.storagereview.com/ssd_performance_review_270tb_written

Next up is seeing where it dies and pretty much starting over on some new hardware. So far none of the expected speed throttling yet... Maybe it comes in at 10% left when the P/E cycles are exhausted and you just have reserved blocks left?

That's really cool and holy wow at writing over 270TB of data to the drive. I will never, ever, come anywhere remotely close to that.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

zeroprime posted:

That's really cool and holy wow at writing over 270TB of data to the drive. I will never, ever, come anywhere remotely close to that.

Yea this was more of a proof of concept test for us to lead into other areas. Very curious what different NAND/controller packages can offer in endurance and performance nearing end of life.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The intel 520 series just seems to have a massive price cut (240GB went from 400+ euros to 285) , is this just to stay competitive or does it have issues I should be aware of before buying one?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ika posted:

The intel 520 series just seems to have a massive price cut (240GB went from 400+ euros to 285) , is this just to stay competitive or does it have issues I should be aware of before buying one?

Supposedly it's the most stable SF 2281 drive out there. Haven't really heard anything to contradict that, yet.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
The 5 year warranty would tempt me, too. Given price drops, it's definitely one to watch. As with everything though, regular backups.

The prices I'm looking at scale pretty badly though, the 240 is a good chunk more than double the cost of the 120 (by £50!), yet the read speeds are the same, and the write speeds only 20MB/s different (500 vs 520).

May be cause for the hated configuration of SH/SC - RAID 0.

vv Ah, maybe. I hope the price drops aren't a mistake, because the current pricing makes no sense.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 1, 2012

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Here in germany the 240gb is 290 E, the 120gb is 156 E, and 180gb is 237, so the price per gb is best for 240, then 120, then 180, which makes no sense at all.

Your link is showing 390 pounds, which is something like 500 euros, maybe the price drops havn't arrived in england yet?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tom's Hardware has a roundup of Sandforce 60GB drives (while comparing them with the M4 and 830)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-60gb-benchmark-review,3137.html

Adata S511 60 GB
Corsair Force 3 60 GB
Corsair Force GT 60 GB
Kingston SSDNow V200+ 60 GB
Intel SSD 520 60 GB
OCZ Agility 3 60 GB
OCZ Vertex 3 60 GB
OWC Mercury Electra 6G 60 GB
Patriot Pyro SE 60 GB
RunCore Pro V 60 GB

I haven't run one as a boot drive + platter for storage, but they are perfect by themselves for a netbook/laptop.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I have a pair of X-25M 80GB drives in RAID0 right now as my main partition, and with gaming and stuff I'm spending too much goddamn time moving games around with steamtool. What's the best deal to double my space without sacrificing much in the way of performance?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Falcon2001 posted:

I have a pair of X-25M 80GB drives in RAID0 right now as my main partition, and with gaming and stuff I'm spending too much goddamn time moving games around with steamtool. What's the best deal to double my space without sacrificing much in the way of performance?

Buy a 320GB drive?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Ika posted:

Here in germany the 240gb is 290 E, the 120gb is 156 E, and 180gb is 237, so the price per gb is best for 240, then 120, then 180, which makes no sense at all.

Actually, there's a consumer phenomenon called "irrelevant third option" effect. The existence of a third option that's a worse deal than either the cheap option or the expensive options tends to make people opt for the expensive options more often than they would if the third option didn't exist.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Buy a 320GB drive?

Well, I was debating it, but wondering if the performance hit from moving to one drive would be worth it, and also wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations - I find it really confusing to shop for SSDs because of the arcane model numbers :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Either a crucial M4 or a samsung 830 in the size you need should be peachy.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

Either a crucial M4 or a samsung 830 in the size you need should be peachy.

Thanks! I think I'll probably just get the 2x 128GB 830s, as it's the same price as the 256 GB. I think that should be enough extra space, it's mostly just the static sizes of TERA and WoW that's filling up my drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

Well, I was debating it, but wondering if the performance hit from moving to one drive would be worth it, and also wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations - I find it really confusing to shop for SSDs because of the arcane model numbers :(

If you have SATA 3.0, 1 current 256GB drive is going to be faster than 2 drives from 2 generations ago. Probably even if you still have SATA 2. Then you have the whole 'single drive being more reliable than two striped drives' thing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And now you can TRIM, too!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

evil_bunnY posted:

And now you can TRIM, too!

X25-M didn't support TRIM. Only the G2 version.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks folks! I have an Asus P7P55 LX, which as far as I can tell is still SATA 2, the only info I can find on the specs is that it's SATA 3.0 Gbps, so I'm going to assume it's not SATA3.

My SSDs are second-gen though, I remember specifically waiting for the TRIM feature and the model number on newegg order history is SSDSA2M080G2XXX. I'm getting the sense that in Raid-0, those don't TRIM though? I originally went RAID-0 because my PC is regularly backed up to my NAS and all my documents exist on that anyway, so the risk vs reward was a good tradeoff.

That being said, right now on newegg 2x 128s is the same price as 1x 256, so I'm willing to go either way. Is there an advantage to a single drive over 2x Raid-0'd?(notably using my motherboard as a raid controller)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Falcon2001 posted:

That being said, right now on newegg 2x 128s is the same price as 1x 256, so I'm willing to go either way. Is there an advantage to a single drive over 2x Raid-0'd?(notably using my motherboard as a raid controller)

The only possible advantage of using 2x in RAID 0 is that if you're using Crucial M4 drives, they will be faster. But this extra speed will not be perceptible in any kind of normal use, and the disadvantages are numerous. Otherwise, a single drive is just better, period.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Factory Factory posted:

The only possible advantage of using 2x in RAID 0 is that if you're using Crucial M4 drives, they will be faster. But this extra speed will not be perceptible in any kind of normal use, and the disadvantages are numerous. Otherwise, a single drive is just better, period.

I always thought a single drive would run better as its internal data marshalling would be superior to any POS motherboard RAID controller.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

LorneReams posted:

I always thought a single drive would run better as its internal data marshalling would be superior to any POS motherboard RAID controller.

128GB Crucial M4 drives use the same number of NAND channels as the 256GB drives (and they're pretty much the only ~120GB drives that do this). Even if the FakeRAID is pretty inefficient, it's still double the NAND parallelism.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

X25-M didn't support TRIM. Only the G2 version.
That's what I was saying? (also, RAID on a controller bought around that time would have prevented TRIM anyway)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Factory Factory posted:

Alrighty, that nails it. Thanks!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

128GB Crucial M4 drives use the same number of NAND channels as the 256GB drives (and they're pretty much the only ~120GB drives that do this). Even if the FakeRAID is pretty inefficient, it's still double the NAND parallelism.
Clarification: 120GB/128GB drives always use the same number of channels as their 240/256GB counterparts, the difference is the number of dies per channel, which affects how deeply transactions can be interleaved. This primarly affects random read/write performance. Anandtech has an article discussing this here.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Mine is on the right, on the left is one I found online searching for Samsung 830 benchmark.

Why is mine about 50% the performance of his? I have AHCI enabled and it's a brand new drive, is it just because I'm using SATA 3gb/s? I didn't think the difference was that big...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Greedish posted:

Mine is on the right, on the left is one I found online searching for Samsung 830 benchmark.

Why is mine about 50% the performance of his? I have AHCI enabled and it's a brand new drive, is it just because I'm using SATA 3gb/s? I didn't think the difference was that big...

SATA 3 Gbps tops out at about 285 MB/s. Your numbers are perfectly in line with expectations.

What you won't see is a big difference in real-world performance.

• Locked thread