Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
A co-worker just told me that he was told by a dealership the Suzuki 0% financing is near impossible to obtain, despite what the previously linked article said =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Hadn't considered a DR/KLR but am intrigued, I'll start hunting around for those too. ..

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

kgibson posted:

Hadn't considered a DR/KLR but am intrigued, I'll start hunting around for those too. ..

They are a bit over 500 but aren't overly powerful at all. It would also give you the ability to do some dual sporting albeit not as well as a real dual sport. Then there's always adventure riding as well. plenty of people have ridden KLR's/DR's to the northern and southern most tips of the america's, sometimes on the same trip. All in all they are nice bikes and were the next choice on my list after the DRZ.

It looks like my next bike will be something more 2 up oriented, although my wife has said she's finally going to give riding a try. Was thinking either a KLR/DR or an F800GS...

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Yeah, those financing deals are always kind of stupid. Last year when I bought my SH150i, they were offering 1.99% APR on new scooters, with a "print this coupon and bring it to get this!" However, upon getting to the dealership, I found out you need pretty much perfect credit to get that, and the best they'll offer medium credit folks is 8%. Derp. Still bought the scooter, but got my loan from someplace sane. (Credit union) They should be required to publish the exact cutoff credit score up-front, I feel.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Thoughts on this Yamaha XS 1100 for a 6'4" 300lbs+ first time rider?

I keep pulling at myself to get a nice bike, but I know I need something I'm not going to punch myself in the head for the rest of my life over dropping.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Aexo posted:

Yamaha XS 1100

For what its worth, Suzuki GS models of similar vintage are more dependable then the Yamaha XS models. The wiring on the XS line is hilariously bad.

A dual sport like a DR650 or similar might also be an option for you if you are concerned about dropping it, they tend to be built a little more rugged. Plus they're taller like you.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

They are a bit over 500 but aren't overly powerful at all. It would also give you the ability to do some dual sporting albeit not as well as a real dual sport. Then there's always adventure riding as well. plenty of people have ridden KLR's/DR's to the northern and southern most tips of the america's, sometimes on the same trip. All in all they are nice bikes and were the next choice on my list after the DRZ.

It looks like my next bike will be something more 2 up oriented, although my wife has said she's finally going to give riding a try. Was thinking either a KLR/DR or an F800GS...

If you want something two-up, go for a V-Strom, Ulysses, F800GS, R1150/1100GS, Triumph 800, or a tourer. The KLR is actually fairly bad for 2-up unless your wife enjoys being deprived of basic human comforts. I find that women generally don't enjoy being deprived of human comforts, but what do I know. My area of expertise is motorcycles.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm looking for my first bike. I am getting my license on friday but won't have the saftey course until the end of March probably so I have been planning on waiting but this bike looks like a great deal. I could park it in my friend's garage until I get my saftey course done and get it registered on base.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/2874141674.html

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

MotoMind posted:

If you want something two-up, go for a V-Strom, Ulysses, F800GS, R1150/1100GS, Triumph 800, or a tourer. The KLR is actually fairly bad for 2-up unless your wife enjoys being deprived of basic human comforts. I find that women generally don't enjoy being deprived of human comforts, but what do I know. My area of expertise is motorcycles.

we're a ways off from it anyways. I just got the DRZ and the next priority is repairing the Honda. When it comes time to buy I'll start doing research, I'd kill for a BMW. I love their cars and my Grandpa has raved about their bikes my entire life.

Eventually my goal is to deck out my stable with the following:
690 SMC
Lilac Ducati Monster:gay:
BMW F800gs or F1200gs
Yammy R1
anything the wife wants

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

Dalrain posted:

Yeah, those financing deals are always kind of stupid. Last year when I bought my SH150i, they were offering 1.99% APR on new scooters, with a "print this coupon and bring it to get this!" However, upon getting to the dealership, I found out you need pretty much perfect credit to get that, and the best they'll offer medium credit folks is 8%. Derp. Still bought the scooter, but got my loan from someplace sane. (Credit union) They should be required to publish the exact cutoff credit score up-front, I feel.

Hmm, I'm in the process of getting a GSX-R750 and got approved. I even made a mistake on the loan app and called to fix it and they said I was fine. Doesn't hurt to try, you can always walk away.

Aexo
May 16, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

For what its worth, Suzuki GS models of similar vintage are more dependable then the Yamaha XS models. The wiring on the XS line is hilariously bad.

Ok, how about this? How much work does one do on an older bike? I really don't have the resources to work on a bike right now... my garage is shared, so taking it apart for more than a day wouldn't be advisable. That's if I had the tools..

clutchpuck posted:

A dual sport like a DR650 or similar might also be an option for you if you are concerned about dropping it, they tend to be built a little more rugged. Plus they're taller like you.

I'm leaning toward cruisers with a nod to standard bikes. Is there a noticeable difference when going from one style or another? Dualies don't really look appealing to me, though I totally get why they'd be recommended to a tall person.

After speaking to another co-worker who has been in to bikes for a while, he said the reason people had suggested a larger engine to me was in the event I wanted to get on the highway - having the power to speed up to avoid a bad situation would be better than a smaller bike that might only offer me slowing down/swerving. I don't anticipate getting on the highway for at least a year, so it sounds like I'll be safe with my original goal of getting a 78/79 CB750 that doesn't look like it'll need much maintenance. That GS750 above looks decent enough in the photos. I'd be interested to check it out if it would be a decent enough bike for me.

e: My concern with dropping a bike mainly lies with dropping a nice one and messing it up, necessitating costly repairs or even totaling it. I figure there will be a time I feel I'm comfortable enough for a nice bike, but it's not now. It's just wishful thinking for me to get a bike that has everything I want. Most are out of my price range anyway.

Aexo fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 28, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Aexo posted:

Ok, how about this? How much work does one do on an older bike? I really don't have the resources to work on a bike right now... my garage is shared, so taking it apart for more than a day wouldn't be advisable. That's if I had the tools..

In that case you should just stop thinking about 30+ y.o. bikes.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Aexo posted:

I'm leaning toward cruisers with a nod to standard bikes. Is there a noticeable difference when going from one style or another? Dualies don't really look appealing to me, though I totally get why they'd be recommended to a tall person.

Cruisers hurt my back after just a short time on them. If you've never spent a good bit of time on one that's hitting bumps and moving at speed I highly recommend trying before buying. I like dual sport/standard seating position because it allows me to sit comfortably in a position I can bail out of easily if I have to. I can also lean forward and prop my feet up on the pass pegs if it's really windy out to streamline the bike a bit better.

It's all about finding what you like and what's comfy. I highly recommend going to a dealer and sitting on as many different bikes as you can.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I sat on a cruiser this weekend and loved it - other than the fact that my foot didn't fit between the heel-toe shifter. I wouldn't want to ride on a showroom bike just yet since I'm still not sure how I'll do in the real world. It was however, beyond my price range and was brand spanking new. I also didn't really pay attention to where my knees/legs rested when on the floor boards; something I thought about after I left the dealership.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Edit: wrong thread

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Aexo posted:

I sat on a cruiser this weekend and loved it - other than the fact that my foot didn't fit between the heel-toe shifter. I wouldn't want to ride on a showroom bike just yet since I'm still not sure how I'll do in the real world. It was however, beyond my price range and was brand spanking new. I also didn't really pay attention to where my knees/legs rested when on the floor boards; something I thought about after I left the dealership.

What about a Bandit? As far as I know, they're fairly common and reliable bikes, though I wouldn't recommend the 1200, as that's a bit too much power for a first bike, so either the 600 or 650. It's essentially a standard with a half fairing, I think they're pretty nice looking bikes. I'm not sure if it's too sporty looking for what you're looking for though. Might not be a bad choice if you would want something newer if you lack a place to work on your bike. I have an '84, and it runs nice, but even then I still had to leave it disassembled for a period of time to do some maintenance.

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/mcy/2808385801.html

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/mcy/2870294012.html

Edit: I'm not saying an old GS or CB is not a reliable bike, they certainly can be. But I think you need to take into consideration the fact that there's a much higher chance that the bike will need to be worked on if it's that old.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 28, 2012

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
What would you guys value a 2004 Honda 599 with 8k miles in pretty rough shape and crappy paint? It hasn't run in about a year but apparently it's just due to neglect. I figure it would probably start with a carb cleaning, new fuel, and new battery. He's asking $1500 but I figure I could get it down a bit. I'll post pics when I get them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I like dual sport/standard seating position because it allows me to sit comfortably in a position I can bail out of easily if I have to.

Is this actually a thing? I ask seriously -- I'm a new rider. The MSF people put a lot of emphasis on staying with the vehicle through any situation, since a rolling motorcycle is your only chance of getting smoothly away without injury...if you layer dan or jump off at speed, you know you're going to get hurt.

It seems to me that leaping off would be reserved for, I dunno, "broke through the guard rail and going off a cliff" kind of situations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

hayden. posted:

What would you guys value a 2004 Honda 599 with 8k miles in pretty rough shape and crappy paint? It hasn't run in about a year but apparently it's just due to neglect. I figure it would probably start with a carb cleaning, new fuel, and new battery. He's asking $1500 but I figure I could get it down a bit. I'll post pics when I get them.

If you could get it for $1500 that'd be good, a grand or less would be great/amazing. Those bikes are super solid.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sir Cornelius posted:

In that case you should just stop thinking about 30+ y.o. bikes.

This is good but curtly-spoken advice.

If you like cruisers:

Look for Honda Shadows, Kawasaki Vulcans, Yamaha Viragos, and Suzuki... Intruders? From somewhere in the '90s. The lower miles the better, the better running the better. You could do up to like 1100cc and not get in too much trouble but keep in mind, they get pretty heavy.

Vulcan 500 http://muncie.craigslist.org/mcy/2857893778.html
Shadow 750 http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/2840766313.html

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Thanks, clutchpuck.

That Virago my girlfriend liked a bunch at the dealership was a '93 1100 with like 4k miles. Seems like an unreal number of miles for such an old bike. I think they listed it for $3800 which KBB tells me is pretty high, but I'm sure the low miles help keep the value.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Aexo posted:

Thanks, clutchpuck.

That Virago my girlfriend liked a bunch at the dealership was a '93 1100 with like 4k miles. Seems like an unreal number of miles for such an old bike. I think they listed it for $3800 which KBB tells me is pretty high, but I'm sure the low miles help keep the value.

You'll get used to seeing this. Weekend warriors and the like think 50 miles is a nice day trip. *insert snarky Harley comment here*

You just have to hope they maintained it, as a bike sitting is generally taking more damage than one being used.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Aexo posted:

Thanks, clutchpuck.

Yeah you'll see that. If it's running fine with good rubber now, then likely the/a previous owner brought it out of hibernation and it's probably a decent deal, but don't pay much over KBB regardless. Low miles doesn't keep a lot of value, unless it's a limited edition or rare ride. It's also pretty easy to swap over speedos from other bikes in the case of a broken speedo or whatever.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

orthod0ks posted:

You just have to hope they maintained it, as a bike sitting is generally taking more damage than one being used.

This is the most true thing, and yet I STILL cannot seem to get it through other people's thick skulls.

My friends all look for "low mileage" bikes that are 10-15+ years old.
Guess what buddy, that 02 BMW you were looking at with 49,000 miles is probably going to be in better shape than that 04 with 5,000 miles (that never had an oil change, and was parked when the injectors clogged)

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Yeah the tires looked really old, if I'm remembering correctly. I'll be sure to ask about the odometer if I pursue this bike. What are some things to look for / ask about when checking out an old bike with low miles?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Check all things rubber, as they deteriorate over time (vacuum and fuel lines, and as you said, tires), ask about all the fluids (if none of them have been changed, count on oil, filter, brake, and coolant change), battery will probably be shot, and check the inside of the tank for rust. Depending on how it was stored, it may need a new chain and sprockets if they've managed to rust.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Look for old gas, old oil, old tires, old coolant (if water cooled), shaft oil (if shaft driven). Old gas has a characteristic smell, it doesn't smell like the gas station. Ask questions about how the bike has been maintained and ridden.

For your first bike, definitely avoid fixers that "need carb work", or have electrical things that don't work properly every time. You want something that starts and idles easily even when cold. Dealing with gremlins on a first ride are really discouraging when you just want to get seat time.

Needing new tires is probably OK if you budget for and commit to actually getting new ones ASAP - it can be expensive but it is nice to have a known-good baseline on tires because they are so crucial for safe riding.

AncientTV posted:

battery will probably be shot, and check the inside of the tank for rust.

Good points. Bring a mini-flashlight to inspect inside the tank and other general items.

Edit for addendum: if you're looking at dealer preowned and they need tires, try to work a good price on new ones into the deal.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 29, 2012

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I didn't see that a dealership was selling it. The high price may be accounted for by fresh fluids and a new battery (not that the price isn't still inflated). They'd want more bargaining power, and those things would give it to them since it would allow them to start the bike up.

As clutchpuck said, just ask a bunch of questions.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Great info and pointers, thank you both very much! Please forgive my incessant newbie questions :)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
We were all there at one point, being able to help out now is half the reason I post here :)

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

AncientTV posted:

We were all there at one point, being able to help out now is half the reason I post here :)

The other half is to make fun of mootmoot?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

orthod0ks posted:

The other half is to make fun of mootmoot?

No, that's just fun.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

orthod0ks posted:

You'll get used to seeing this. Weekend warriors and the like think 50 miles is a nice day trip. *insert snarky Harley comment here*

The bike I'm currently rebuilding, my first, is a 71 CL350. It has been parked in a dry barn in a warm climate for 30 years and has only 9400 miles. This is what I found inside the carburetors

Silly PO, vegemite is for toast!

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
It looks like melted dark chocolate.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Is that actually vegemite or solidified ... gunk?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
What's the difference?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Vegemite is actually nice, I will have you know. :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Odette posted:

Is that actually vegemite or solidified ... gunk?

It dissolved in xylene after 36 hours of soaking, so I assume it's at least tangentially related to gasoline. I guess it's just what happens to a decent-sized quantity of the stuff if you let it sit, undisturbed, under static environmental conditions for three decades.

It wasn't really solidified, either. It was almost exactly the consistency of cold molasses -- here's what I saw as I pulled the float bowls off:

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Holy crap, now it looks like (real) maple syrup or caramel or something.

How did it smell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

An observer posted:

How did it smell?

Not bad, actually. Mostly it had that fruity odor of old gas, with a bit of an acrid, smoky smell like diesel exhaust if I remember right.

The big glob of it in the float bowls was pretty easy to deal with just by soaking. The small parts were the hard ones...the stuff was AMAZINGLY sticky and difficult to wash off, like epoxy resin. Which is probably just what it is, technically -- a kind of resin.