Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
calling all forest friends for a game of touch tail
Glitched into old frontiers earlier today and probably spent about an hour just running around and remembering speed7 zergs and good times in Emain. Took some screenshots as well!

Dun Crauch

Zone change from... Briefine to Emain? Don't remember which one we took this at. Guess they used a different kind of fertilizer.

Mindworm lake. Remember hiding here waiting for instant root and then killing albs only to die to the stupid worms. The camp bonus here was insane for this guy - like 90mil exp, ha.

Good ole' goborchend leveling spot.

amg

Graveyard near apk

artsy

apk

Thimble near amg. Used to die here more times than I can count!

Suiciding at mpk to end our field trip.

All of the mobs are still there - but different keeps are entirely empty and where the map indicates a relic village there is nothing. I forget which one this was (maybe scaith?) but it had guards and working gatekeepers, and at the top, a portal to DF. Unfortunately the portal didn't send us to old DF but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dud180
Dec 30, 2006
This game is really fantastic to play these days, there's been so many changes to help new players. However one thing that would make it better would be more euro-goons, since the guild is a little quiet in the evenings. Still - I'd highly recommend the game to anyone still on the fence about trying it.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

ggschmitty posted:

Thimble near amg. Used to die here more times than I can count!

We used to call that the PB (Pillbox). So many good fights happened near AMG and the PB.

ggschmitty posted:

All of the mobs are still there - but different keeps are entirely empty and where the map indicates a relic village there is nothing. I forget which one this was (maybe scaith?) but it had guards and working gatekeepers, and at the top, a portal to DF. Unfortunately the portal didn't send us to old DF but oh well.

That would have been Dagda or Lamfhota based on the guard formation and having the inner door/keep. I loved the old relic keeps. They always produced epic battles. :D

bigdaddyo
Jun 28, 2008
what's a good solo class for when no one is around but can contribute to groups? I have a ranger at 24 who is awesome to solo with but no one wants to group.
I'm thinking hero/warden, or something along those lines, would be more helpful to a guild/group but I'm not sure how they solo (especially at 45+)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Elf Champion.

But, what we REALLY need is a Firby Valewalker.

Squiggoth
Nov 14, 2003
Waaaagh. Really.
Re-installing, reactivated my old rear end account for a month to check it out and maybe stay. Kind of want to play a Bard, but a bit concerned about someone's comments that people give Bards poo poo if they're not pro in RvR. Why is that, can someone expound on that?

Also, is there any way to figure out which server I had dudes on? This system is obnoxious -- pick a server, go through the whole login thing, have to check all 3 realms for characters, then quit, rinse and repeat.

Is there a way to find any characters on an account?

Squiggoth fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 1, 2012

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

This thread is such nostalgia overload, hoping that I have time to reactivate in a few months to kick around since servers apparently still have some RvR action. :3:

Squiggoth posted:

Re-installing, reactivated my old rear end account for a month to gently caress around. Kind of want to play a Bard, but a bit concerned about someone's comments that people give Bards poo poo if they're not pro in RvR. Why is that, can someone expound on that?

Having a good or bad Bard makes or breaks groups for Hibs. Grow a thick skin because being a squishy, low-RR, assist train target means a lot of stupidly fast WTF-did they come from!? deaths that will lead to group members bitching at you for being poo poo. It will even out as you get more RvR experience, both from RR abilities and knowing the behaviors of your frequently encountered enemy groups.

Get practice in BGs while leveling to perfect twisting, mezzing/healing/interrupt priorities and mobility, and to see if the class is a good fit for you. It is a very fun class to a lot of people. But, if you've played MMOs with... uh... more modern UI and movement then RvR on a Bard might be as pleasant as pissing into a blizzard if you're not the kind of person who likes the playstyle.

Squiggoth
Nov 14, 2003
Waaaagh. Really.
Awesome, thank you ex. Do you have any suggestions for either support/healer or spellcaster that is a bit more lenient with that kind of thing? Very forgiving and/or easier? I think I may want to try that first.

Also, was it ever mentioned which quests the OP was talking about that get you max level in a weekend of play?

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Warden, Druid and Mentalist can all heal so they are pretty much the other support classes.

The quests mentioned are the kill quests you get from battlegrounds. Do the tutorial 1-10, it takes about 30 minutes once you know the quests, then if you get a good group in the battlegrounds you can be level 20 in under 2-3 hours. Whatever you do skip the 5-10 battleground, it takes forever. If you run out of quests in the tutorial you are probably a few kills away from level.

Something to note: Druids are great support characters but they lack the ability to solo well, so you really need a group in the BG's to level efficiently.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

Squiggoth posted:

Also, was it ever mentioned which quests the OP was talking about that get you max level in a weekend of play?

Aside from the 1-4 battleground (where you can easily melee down ojs with your health bar refilling every few seconds) there are quests givers in the portal keep that will give you 3 pve quests and then 2 pvp quests where you have to kill 5 mobs/players for each one. The slowest exp from these is the second bg, but right afterwards it picks up a lot. At 30, if you're having trouble with the bg being too full to do the quests, there are level 30 quests you can do in Oceanus, but when you hit 35 it's faster to go back to the BG quests until 40 because the quests stay at level 30 and the xp is signifigantly less when you're in your high-30s.

e: oops, already answered. Also can't believe I never thought to skip the 5-9 one.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah, seriously skip 5-9, the starter quest zone takes you to 10 with ease, there really isn't a reason to cut off from that to go to the battlegrounds.

Hell I even hate 10-14 because of that drat shallow water. But its better/faster than regular questing.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
Though if you do one quest in the 5-9 bg you can get a full suit of bg gear if you just need one weapon. Might be worth a quick stop.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So with the free 14 days for returning players do they charge your CC before or after that expires?

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

ded posted:

So with the free 14 days for returning players do they charge your CC before or after that expires?

As far as I know it charges your card once the 14 days are up if you leave the account subscribed. You can activate the 14 day, immediately cancel the account, and still be able to play out the 14 days.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I used my 14 free days to reactivate an account from 2005 but I can't actually login. It just tells me my password is invalid even after I've gone through the site to change it. I'm probably just going to have to email support but just in case has anyone else had this issue?

fake edit: and yes I'm changing the password on the DAOC account not the master account. I tried logging in with both just in case, though.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Phoix posted:

I used my 14 free days to reactivate an account from 2005 but I can't actually login. It just tells me my password is invalid even after I've gone through the site to change it. I'm probably just going to have to email support but just in case has anyone else had this issue?

fake edit: and yes I'm changing the password on the DAOC account not the master account. I tried logging in with both just in case, though.

Oh weird. Yeah, email or call them if that's an option. I don't think I've seen that problem before, but with how crazy the account system is now, I'm not really surprised, either.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

ButtaKnife posted:

Oh weird. Yeah, email or call them if that's an option. I don't think I've seen that problem before, but with how crazy the account system is now, I'm not really surprised, either.

Yeah, I just realized I can type anything in the "Old Password" box for the DAoC account and it'll let me change it. I guess something broke at some point.

edit: Okay, so just to be clear which account am I supposed to login with? The EA account, the Mythic master account, or the individual DAoC account it lists on the subscription page? I can't find any way to force it to reset the password for the DAoC account and it gives me a generic error when I try to reset the password for the Mythic master account. I can't believe how messy this is.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 1, 2012

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah just email them with details like names of characters on the account, your birthplace and secret question if you know it and they'll reset it.

They didn't find my GOA (main) accounts though or any of the Gareth characters :argh:

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I'm trying to recover my old account. drat this thread making me want to heal some groups again. I'm fairly certain I have some characters on hib. If I don't, however, which would be better to heal warden or druid?

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Tooter posted:

I'm trying to recover my old account. drat this thread making me want to heal some groups again. I'm fairly certain I have some characters on hib. If I don't, however, which would be better to heal warden or druid?

Druid is the main healer class so they will heal better. Wardens are more of a hybrid class that can do healing and buffing as well as melee damage.
I play a druid right now and I really like it but if you want to play a more active part in combat play warden.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I finally got in by guessing my password from seven years ago. Oh god I don't remember anything about DAoC.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tooter posted:

Wardens don't have as many healing tools as druids, but they do get the realm's pulsing bladeturn chant, so that's nice.

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
calling all forest friends for a game of touch tail
A high regrowth (44+ for best group hot, major, greater, and group heals) warden actually has a lot of tools for healing and if people run bard/druid/warden, the warden takes over most of the healing by playing back field with cure NS, cure group disease, and dropping while druid goes mid and shears/heals/roots etc. My warden is 49 nurt/44 reg/23 shield/10 blades. I barely ever, EVER hit things in PVP unless the druid or bard is getting beat on and then I can side snare or 5 sec stun.

With that said, the problem is getting people to actually give you a chance as a healing warden because most people want to run 2 druids since that how it has always been. I find warden a lot more fun than druid, but it is 100x easier to get a pug group as a druid. So probably just go druid.

Squiggoth
Nov 14, 2003
Waaaagh. Really.
So I moved my 42 Shaman and 30-something Valkyrie over to Ywain6. Any suggestions for finding good helpful guilds on Midgard side? Or Alb if I poke around there? The community seems very elitist despite this being a fairly old and antiquated game, I kinda figured more folks would be super helpful like the Cult members are. Oh well.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

ggschmitty posted:

A high regrowth (44+ for best group hot, major, greater, and group heals) warden actually has a lot of tools for healing and if people run bard/druid/warden, the warden takes over most of the healing by playing back field with cure NS, cure group disease, and dropping while druid goes mid and shears/heals/roots etc. My warden is 49 nurt/44 reg/23 shield/10 blades. I barely ever, EVER hit things in PVP unless the druid or bard is getting beat on and then I can side snare or 5 sec stun.

With that said, the problem is getting people to actually give you a chance as a healing warden because most people want to run 2 druids since that how it has always been. I find warden a lot more fun than druid, but it is 100x easier to get a pug group as a druid. So probably just go druid.

I really like playing my druid, though I also think wardens would be fun. Druids just have so many toys for keeping the group alive, plus field buffs, roots, and buff shears. Also, stealing killspam with a well-timed DoT is priceless.

Really, though, both classes are great. When it comes to running with the guild, both will be extremely helpful.

Squiggoth posted:

So I moved my 42 Shaman and 30-something Valkyrie over to Ywain6. Any suggestions for finding good helpful guilds on Midgard side? Or Alb if I poke around there? The community seems very elitist despite this being a fairly old and antiquated game, I kinda figured more folks would be super helpful like the Cult members are. Oh well.

Unfortunately, DAoC in general has a lot of that. People always say Hib is the worst, but to me it sounds like an across-the-board problem. Alb might not be quite as bad, since all they do is zerg with anyone willing to follow the leader.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Squiggoth posted:

If you don't mind zerging look into Odyssey. They have some weird practices and probably won't powerlevel you or anything but they're ultimately helpful and nice people overall, and they aren't picky on who they bring in.

They have guild and alliance meetings that are mandatory attendance if you're online, so you get to go to the their guild hall, sit in a seat, and take your helmet/weapon off and listen to a bunch of old people complain over vent. So try to avoid those if you can.

I dropped my characters out of there because it was really boring running around with 3 groups in labyrinth, plus the whole RP guild meeting thing. And the whole not really playing mid anymore thing, except in battlegrounds.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

So are potions a decent alternative to having an alt account for a buffbot? I'd really like to get in on this again, but I don't want to drag a buffbot everywhere.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

The realm buffers that are everywhere are good for buffs. They are in every pve hub, bg, and at the border keeps. They give out 2hr base/specs/haste/acuity for a small gold amount relative to the area. I think border keeps charge 38g which is nothing nowadays. Not as great as a buffbot but pretty close.

Buff pots are more for, i got rezed and need to buff and can't get to a realm buffer. I think they were more useful before the buff npc's were put in.

Combo i thought that story about the no helm/weapon guild meetings was back from the games heyday when the majority of people still did the rp thing.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

madpanda posted:

The realm buffers that are everywhere are good for buffs. They are in every pve hub, bg, and at the border keeps. They give out 2hr base/specs/haste/acuity for a small gold amount relative to the area. I think border keeps charge 38g which is nothing nowadays. Not as great as a buffbot but pretty close.

Buff pots are more for, i got rezed and need to buff and can't get to a realm buffer. I think they were more useful before the buff npc's were put in.

Combo i thought that story about the no helm/weapon guild meetings was back from the games heyday when the majority of people still did the rp thing.

Ah I hadn't realized that added buffer NPCs, are they yellow buff equivalent or something(instead of red?).

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Should I expect to be able to kill anyone leveling a Nightshade in BG's? I don't know if I'm missing something or if my build is bad or what but I just can't damage anyone. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do that would be great.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

bomb posted:

Ah I hadn't realized that added buffer NPCs, are they yellow buff equivalent or something(instead of red?).

At max level (the ones outside DL/Svasud Faste/whatever alb has) are 32g for a full set of regular yellow buffs. They're a little off of getting buffs from a bot with +25% stat enhancement but not by a ton. As an added benefit they last for 2 hours and don't drop if you zone.

The realm buffers in the BGs give level appropriate sets. (grey buffs in 10-14 bg, grey/green in 15-19, blue in 30-34, etc)

Heroism pots are nice as field buffs for when you die out in NF but that's about it.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Phoix posted:

Should I expect to be able to kill anyone leveling a Nightshade in BG's? I don't know if I'm missing something or if my build is bad or what but I just can't damage anyone. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do that would be great.

whats your spec, what targets are you having problems with and are you using bg gear? Also are you max level for the bg?

I've been doing a celt bladeshadefocusing on blades/cd/stealth and I've only lost 1vs1 to orange cons, or sc'd people. Pulled off a few 1v2's also.

The main things i can think of are

any root caster - face and start spamming your ranged dd, they probably blew quickcast on the root.

skalds - usually a waste of time as they will just mez you and run. I'll still try blue ones.

Heavy tanks - open with dd spam from range.

Archers - if they open fire while you are unstealthed you need to decide very quickly if you are going to engage or run. If you catch them in stealth you'll most likely win.

If you are CS spec I hear that can be a bit hard to play nowadays, I imagine not as much in bg's but at think at 50 its not worth it until rr8.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Back on this poo poo. Go time.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
I am having a ton of fun with this game. Even as a dirty Hib. Ilm at15 now, and will hopefully be 25 by the end of the weekend. Look up combatcharles if you want to bg up with an awful ment

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

madpanda posted:

whats your spec, what targets are you having problems with and are you using bg gear? Also are you max level for the bg?

I've been doing a celt bladeshadefocusing on blades/cd/stealth and I've only lost 1vs1 to orange cons, or sc'd people. Pulled off a few 1v2's also.

Putting more points into CD and realizing that the bounty vendor has more than one page of gear helped a lot. A lot less painful now. :v:

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
Warden template complete after just grinding out the 30p for the sleeves from Cunovinda. I realized this was the best way to do it with low spawn rates and pubbie groups that wiped on Nychta's shards and also Phut. Two seperate wipes. If they are advertising SH raids why do I have to try to frantically explain to them how the mobs work?!!? I barely know myself!

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I *may* have nuked a couple of you down tonight on my RM, sorry about that :(

I hopped on to see how the rm compared to the eld, and hopped in what I thought was an 8v8 group. Then as we're out running around we joined in with another couple of groups and ran around together. Which kind of worked out I guess because there were like 100-110 albs hitting mid keeps last night, but I still hate running with that many people.

We definitely hit an alliance group at bled bridge as we were moving out, and I saw at least 3 culties that I got target on. Pretty sure I nuked down Ral on his druid and Jeahs.

Either way, RM doesn't compare at all to eld and I'll be back playing that tonight probably.

Squiggoth
Nov 14, 2003
Waaaagh. Really.
If anyone wants to start a new character, I'd love to duo Druid with you. I don't want to hassle with xp groups if I don't have to. I can do it several ways, including saving all leveling for times when we're both on. I'm a 6-12pm EST, weekends all the time kind of guy, so hit me up in game -- Classylady, Squiggoth, Squiggothian are my 3 characters. And solo'ing is really not my thing. My druid's name is Squiggothy. I will try to get her to 10 and in Mag Mell, so that'd be a good place to start working together.

Squiggoth fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 3, 2012

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Squiggoth posted:

If anyone wants to start a new character, I'd love to duo Druid with you. I don't want to hassle with xp groups if I don't have to. I can do it several ways, including saving all leveling for times when we're both on. I'm a 6-12pm EST, weekends all the time kind of guy, so hit me up in game -- Classylady, Squiggoth, Squiggothian are my 3 characters. And solo'ing is really not my thing. My druid's name is Squiggothy. I will try to get her to 10 and in Mag Mell, so that'd be a good place to start working together.
I'll make a firbolg hero or an elf champ and level with you. Not sure which one I should go though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggoth
Nov 14, 2003
Waaaagh. Really.

Ralconn posted:

I'll make a firbolg hero or an elf champ and level with you. Not sure which one I should go though.

Sweet. I made the druid, and realized -- there are no "attacks" -- at level 1 you get 3 aiding spells (heals, buffs, etc) but nothing to damage, so you pretty much auto attack. Yeah, gonna really enjoy duoing, because this sucks. =P

Ralconn, I'm remaking my druid to Firbolg (had no idea the stats are different) and I'll try to find you in guild sometime today or tomorrow, but my name will probably have something with Squig---- in it.

• Locked thread