Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

SOMEONE seems optimistic about NIS' future!

No reason not to be; Disgaea 4 made mad bank both in Japan and overseas, and the American division is consistently profitable (and in fact helped the company keep its head above water in some recent lean periods). Hard to say how Hundred Cavalrymen (or however they translate it) or Legastica will do, but I doubt they'll have any money problems for quite a while. If anything, keeping the Disgaea fires going is what'll keep them in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

SpaceDrake posted:

No reason not to be; Disgaea 4 made mad bank both in Japan and overseas, and the American division is consistently profitable (and in fact helped the company keep its head above water in some recent lean periods). Hard to say how Hundred Cavalrymen (or however they translate it) or Legastica will do, but I doubt they'll have any money problems for quite a while. If anything, keeping the Disgaea fires going is what'll keep them in business.

That's astonishingly good news, aspergers spreadsheet rpgs 24/7 4 eva

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm several pages late to this, but my nostalgic love for Azure Dreams compels me to suggest it doesn't belong on a bad RPGs list. The graphics have not aged well at all but IMO the mechanics and the entire tower/leveling/pokemon system (reminiscent of the endless dungeon from Lufia 2 and other games where your level resets on each trip but your monsters don't) holds up well.

The DS sequel screws it all up though, skip on that.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Electromax posted:

I'm several pages late to this, but my nostalgic love for Azure Dreams compels me to suggest it doesn't belong on a bad RPGs list. The graphics have not aged well at all but IMO the mechanics and the entire tower/leveling/pokemon system (reminiscent of the endless dungeon from Lufia 2 and other games where your level resets on each trip but your monsters don't) holds up well.

The DS sequel screws it all up though, skip on that.

Alundra has no business on that list either, it was excellent and was popular with both critics and gamers. The second one was abysmal though

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Rascyc posted:

Shocktroopers crush the game about as easily as scouts do now. Basically the first tier of classes things feel balanced but as soon as you upgrade once or twice, it's all bets are off and the game is as broken as it was in VC1.

There was not a single problem in that game I did not solve through excessive use of greatswords. I usually ignored taking out the shield generators and just sworded through them.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 1, 2012

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Levantine posted:

I enjoy both games but VC is 'gently caress-you hard' at some point in a way that really sapped the fun for me. Also the bullshit turn limits piss me off. It's a good game but for pick up and playability I'd recommend FFXIII-2. It's beyond a "decent" PS3 RPG and might be the best on the system right now. It feels not only like a redeeming sequel to FFXIII but also the Chrono Trigger sequel we never got. It's a genuinely good game.

You know, I was all ready to be all "gently caress off there's much better" and then stopped and thought for a moment and there really isn't (at least on PS3). Which is sad as while I think FFXIII-2 is a pretty good game, it's not exactly top quality for me.

Chrono Trigger sequel though? No way. I never felt that once.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

Alundra has no business on that list either, it was excellent and was popular with both critics and gamers. The second one was abysmal though

Wow, someone put one of the best action RPGs of all time on a "Bad RPGs" list? It has two flaws: load times, and (for some) difficulty.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Black Stones posted:

You know, I was all ready to be all "gently caress off there's much better" and then stopped and thought for a moment and there really isn't (at least on PS3). Which is sad as while I think FFXIII-2 is a pretty good game, it's not exactly top quality for me.

Chrono Trigger sequel though? No way. I never felt that once.

You felt how you felt so I wont try to talk you into it but I felt the pacing and a lot of the events (and the time travel of course) were distinct callbacks to CT. Just my impression though.

Either way it's still a pretty solid RPG in general. PS3 is pretty bereft of RPGs so like you said, competition is thin but it's pretty good regardless.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wendell posted:

Wow, someone put one of the best action RPGs of all time on a "Bad RPGs" list? It has two flaws: load times, and (for some) difficulty.

The only 'bad' thing about it is that Working Designs doubled the health that bosses had making some of them real chore and go on for far too long.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I could rant for a mile about my problems with FF13-2, but the whole crux of it was that it felt very rushed and kiddy. The constant reiteration of whatever the goal currently was - up to five times in one cutscene - just made me completely unable to care, and while the combat was better it was still very much a game that I smashed through largely without a fuss. Most jarring of all was that I got it and Soulcalibur 5 at the same time, and the difference in performance and framerate was astonishing. It was like 13-2 was stuttering across the screen.

Have to give Square credit for turning around the linearity and giving you a big fat ton of worlds to play in, though. I was pleasantly surprised when the main game ended with a ton of locations yet to be found.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 1, 2012

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Enjoying FFXII-2 is okay, but comparing it to Chrono Trigger just comes across as desperate fanboy apologism.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

Enjoying FFXII-2 is okay, but comparing it to Chrono Trigger just comes across as desperate fanboy apologism.

I'm sorry you feel that way but your nostalgia goggles might be on a little too tight. Chrono Trigger was a great game on release it shows its age now. I never said FFXIII-2 was a replacement for CT, just that it felt like the sequel we never got.

EDIT:
VVVVVVV

Healbot posted:

I'd rather accept Chrono Cross as sequel than FFXIII-2.

Hey, that's totally valid too. I'm not trying to sell anyone a sequel to CT, just discussing the impression I felt playing FFXIII-2. I think Chrono Cross is a lovely game actually. Probably one of the prettiest RPGs to come out of that era and pretty unique itself. But I don't think it feels much like CT at all.
VVVVVVV

Levantine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 1, 2012

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'd rather accept Chrono Cross as sequel than FFXIII-2.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Out of curiosity but what age does it show aside from the characters themselves that is, which is usually when people get uppity about nostalgia goggles.

The gameplay itself is still a lot of fun (combo attacks are still something that you don't see in many games, for some strange reason). Sprite based graphics almost always age well. The music is just as catchy as it's always been.

I guess maybe the plot? But the plot is basically "hey let's ride around in my tiiiiiime machine" with a semi-serious vibe that comes up periodically. It was never really meant to be taken seriously (a mistake Chrono Cross made).

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Rascyc posted:

The gameplay itself is still a lot of fun (combo attacks are still something that you don't see in many games, for some strange reason).

I kinda disliked the combat when I played it for the first time a year ago actually...I don't think I ever completed it either (I think I got to the floating kingdom or whatever and stopped). There's no real strategy to things that aren't bosses and a lot of the strategy for the bosses is very gimmicky.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Out of curiosity but what age does it show aside from the characters themselves that is, which is usually when people get uppity about nostalgia goggles.

The gameplay itself is still a lot of fun (combo attacks are still something that you don't see in many games, for some strange reason). Sprite based graphics almost always age well. The music is just as catchy as it's always been.

I guess maybe the plot? But the plot is basically "hey let's ride around in my tiiiiiime machine" with a semi-serious vibe that comes up periodically. It was never really meant to be taken seriously (a mistake Chrono Cross made).

The 'nostalgia goggles' comment was just some snark directed at the "desperate fanboy apologism" comment.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not being critical of CT. When it first came out it was arguably the best RPG of the era. But nothing exists in a vacuum and game design changed is all. It just happens to contain some archaic (menu driven) RPG elements in character development and such so that a person who plays it today (like Cityinthesea) wouldn't find it particularly amazing by today's standards. That's all I meant by showing age.

I still genuinely enjoy almost everything about CT but I also feel at least some of that is buffered by nostalgia. Either way, it's a lot of explanation for a one off comment about a feeling a modern game gave me is all.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Can anyone explain to me why there's a small dog showing up in my battles on FF6?! I'm playing as Sabin now and picked up Shadow, and every time I get into a random battle this small dog shows up and bites the enemy or myself. What the hell is its deal?!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

casual poster posted:

Can anyone explain to me why there's a small dog showing up in my battles on FF6?! I'm playing as Sabin now and picked up Shadow, and every time I get into a random battle this small dog shows up and bites the enemy or myself. What the hell is its deal?!

That's Shadow's dog. It randomly aids you. Whenever he's in the party, this is a thing that can happen.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Shadow has a dog named Interceptor.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cityinthesea posted:

I kinda disliked the combat when I played it for the first time a year ago actually...I don't think I ever completed it either (I think I got to the floating kingdom or whatever and stopped). There's no real strategy to things that aren't bosses and a lot of the strategy for the bosses is very gimmicky.

"There's no strategy to things that aren't bosses and a lot of the strategy for bosses is gimmicky" is a criticism you can level at almost every game in the genre considered to be a "classic," though.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

That's Shadow's dog. It randomly aids you. Whenever he's in the party, this is a thing that can happen.

Ahh alright, maybe I missed that part in the dialogue. He does like 700+ damage, its awesome.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Relm too (you can even permanently lose the dog).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Defiance Industries posted:

"There's no strategy to things that aren't bosses and a lot of the strategy for bosses is gimmicky" is a criticism you can level at almost every game in the genre considered to be a "classic," though.
Probably one of the heartbreakers is that it's not really criticism in a lot of designer's eyes. That poo poo is designed that way :(

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Hey goons,

I'm about to play me some Arcanum, having never actually completed it, and I wondered what mods/patches/etc were good/required, I've got one unofficial patch by Drog Black-Tooth or something, but I'm sure there were others last time I checked, anyone know?

I recently finished Planescape: Torment for the first time, I feel like no RPG will ever compare.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

casual poster posted:

Ahh alright, maybe I missed that part in the dialogue. He does like 700+ damage, its awesome.

Not sure if they ever fixed this but you can lose Interceptor permanently or swap the effect to a different character through status effect trickery, Imp or something. Pretty sure interceptor eventually disappeared in almost every playthrough for me. Which sucks since he's a dog that randomly shows up and kills poo poo.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Perfect Potato posted:

Not sure if they ever fixed this but you can lose Interceptor permanently or swap the effect to a different character through status effect trickery, Imp or something. Pretty sure interceptor eventually disappeared in almost every playthrough for me. Which sucks since he's a dog that randomly shows up and kills poo poo.

In at least some versions of the game (I'm pretty sure every SNES version anyway), Interceptor is treated as a hidden status effect on the characters who have him. There's a specific enemy ability, Rippler, which swaps status effects between the caster and target... including Interceptor. If an enemy casts it on Shadow (or Relm) and then you kill them before they cast it again, the dog's gone.

The fun part of this is that Strago can learn Rippler as a Lore, which means you can manipulate this functionality to your heart's content once you understand how it works. I'm unsure if the status condition resets on Shadow when he leaves and rejoins the party, when you can first get access to Rippler, etc but if so it might be possible to spread him around like a very cute virus.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Wow. I had no idea you could lose Interceptor. I think I vaguely remember at one point in the game it seemed like Interceptor no longer showed up so I guess this happened to me.

Catching up on PSP games using my Vita:

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite: RPG-ish action game with tons of equipment to customize, combat in the spirit of Demon/Dark Souls (or more likely the other way around). I've been playing this sucker for 8+ hours hours a day since getting it, and all indications point to only having touched the surface. It's well worth the meager $20 if you're into Dark/Demon Souls-like combat. Just be sure to do the quests from the Elder first and not the Pokke guild hall like I did by mistake. Cons: There's no lock-on and the camera controls kind of suck but you can get around it. Also, shut up goddamn cat! Who the hell thought listening to a cat in heat during your missions was a good idea?

ClaDun x2: Retro-style overhead action RPG with minimal story and absurdly complex and exploitable character build mechanics, also $20 on PSN. Guess I should've seen this coming, knowing it's from NIS. Everything is customizable, whether it be character and equipment sprites, some dialogue, animations, and even your name and sex can be changed later if you so choose. Fortunately from what I've seen and read, you have the option of playing fairly casually in addition to being a spreadsheeting obsessive min/maxer. Short procedurally generated dungeons seem to make it the kind of game you can easily pick up and put down at a whim.

I'm also really enjoying 3rd Birthday so far but people generally don't seem to like it so I won't talk about it. I really want to get FF4 Complete at some point too, which looks absolutely fantastic since I'm a big fan of FF4. It's like the FF7 follow-up the world never got. Wanted to give the FF13-2 demo another shot to see if I could at least get into the battle system but after watching videos of FF Type-0 I think I'm probably better off waiting for that.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 2, 2012

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
This might deserve its own thread but :effort:

Popped in to check Age of Decadence monthly update and apparently a demo is going to be out very soon! And by demo, I mean a real demo, not something like the old combat one. A notion that the game might actually come out before I die of old age and get buried with all my turn-based RPG cardboard boxes is truly exhilarating.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2453.0.html

AoD developer posted:

Short version: the wait is almost over; the demo will be released in 2 weeks.

Long version: I’ve just realized that it’s been seven months since we’ve started testing. It’s hard to believe that it’s been that long, that the fall and the winter seasons are already over. You get so focused on daily tasks, which pile up faster than you can handle them, that you don't really notice how fast time flies. You look back, but you don't really feel it. Only when you actually count the months, you realize - in shock - how long it's taken.

So, 7 months, 1,900 posts in the beta forums, and 12 builds later (Oscar has just uploaded a new update), we're getting ready to release the demo - as public beta - to our audience.

I'd like to use this opportunity to thank our testers (whom I really can't thank enough). Their input has kept us very busy all these months, kept us working/reworking/tweaking/adding/fixing/breaking poo poo accidentally and fixing again. Looking back, I realize that back in August we gave the testers a very flawed game and they helped us turn it into a game that we're proud to give you now. It's not perfect in any way, but it's solid.

There were a lot of great ideas and suggestions and I wish we could implement them all, but there is only so much four people can do, even in seven months. Special thanks to people who have encouraged us to take more time to get it right.

I hope you’ll enjoy the game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That's a really dissapointingly brown game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In olden times everything was made out of mud, even the people.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

RPG Thread! Were you aware that two days ago a full English translation for the SNES RPG Burning Heroes by Enix was released? I was not. The patch, and some info on the game, can be found here: http://www.dynamic-designs.us/burningheroes.shtml

I haven't had the chance to try it yet but I am always happy when an old RPG finally gets a translation.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Wendell posted:

RPG Thread! Were you aware that two days ago a full English translation for the SNES RPG Burning Heroes by Enix was released? I was not. The patch, and some info on the game, can be found here: http://www.dynamic-designs.us/burningheroes.shtml

I haven't had the chance to try it yet but I am always happy when an old RPG finally gets a translation.

I'm interested, though it's graphically disappointing, even for an early Enix game. They had some solid poo poo in their time though. Soul Blaz(d)er is still one of my favorite games, God knows why.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm interested, though it's graphically disappointing, even for an early Enix game. They had some solid poo poo in their time though. Soul Blaz(d)er is still one of my favorite games, God knows why.

Yes, they did used to have some very solid poo poo (like Soulblazer). All they ever make these days is diarrhea :v:

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

poo poo

Fun fact: You are allowed to say "poo poo" on these forums.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rascyc posted:

Probably one of the heartbreakers is that it's not really criticism in a lot of designer's eyes. That poo poo is designed that way :(

Random encounters don't need strategy to fulfill their normal purpose, though. They exist to deplete some of whatever finite resources the player has before a major encounter. If you don't have to deal with that then, yeah, they should have some strategy (see: FFT, where you get a full restore after each fight) but really, all they have to do is grind you down some in most standard JRPGs.

That and, frankly, I don't want to play buff/debuff carousel in every stupid random encounter, since that's usually what "strategy" boils down to.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Defiance Industries posted:

Random encounters don't need strategy to fulfill their normal purpose, though. They exist to deplete some of whatever finite resources the player has before a major encounter. If you don't have to deal with that then, yeah, they should have some strategy (see: FFT, where you get a full restore after each fight) but really, all they have to do is grind you down some in most standard JRPGs.

That and, frankly, I don't want to play buff/debuff carousel in every stupid random encounter, since that's usually what "strategy" boils down to.
Yes, when you make every fight require you to carefully deal with whatever your game's version of strategy is, you should also have fewer, more meaningful encounters rather than the usual ocean of blood JRPG parties have to wade through to do anything right down to go to the corner store to buy milk.

Meanwhile, in Risen: LIZARDMEN. LIZARDMEN EVERYWHERE. Also, noticing that buying wine + a vial to make a mana potion costs 25 gold while buying a medium mana potion costs 30.

EDIT: That sure was a final boss, I guess. :geno:

Zereth fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 3, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A random encounter shouldn't always demand a careful strategy to win, but it should always give the player opportunities to think about how to win it more efficiently than the obvious, both in terms of resources and time. That's how the player executes on the long-term resource management game.

Too-frequent encounters inevitably mean repeating something on the encounter table, and it's rarely fun to repeat a puzzle you've already solved, which is what a repeat encounter is if your material situation hasn't changed substantively since the last time. They also frustrate attempts to make the game feel like it's proceeding quickly.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

A random encounter shouldn't always demand a careful strategy to win, but it should always give the player opportunities to think about how to win it more efficiently than the obvious, both in terms of resources and time. That's how the player executes on the long-term resource management game.

Too-frequent encounters inevitably mean repeating something on the encounter table, and it's rarely fun to repeat a puzzle you've already solved, which is what a repeat encounter is if your material situation hasn't changed substantively since the last time. They also frustrate attempts to make the game feel like it's proceeding quickly.

I like games that treat random encounters like a war of attrition, requiring you to conserve resources because you know there's gonna be a major boss smackdown at the end. I can't think of any games like this, but I know they exist, and I remember dungeons being tense and enjoyable because of it.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

MockingQuantum posted:

I like games that treat random encounters like a war of attrition, requiring you to conserve resources because you know there's gonna be a major boss smackdown at the end. I can't think of any games like this, but I know they exist, and I remember dungeons being tense and enjoyable because of it.

The Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star and Mother games were like this. Also, in most cases, 'man down' meant back to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

That's pretty much the entire design philosophy of Wizardry and all its ripoffs.