Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

mang posted:

first goal in forever tonight, plus i got offered to join a local team for the spring. feeling pretty :smug: right now

also, my calves cramp every single week at the end of the night. tonight i tried stretching in between every game (we play 20 minutes on and 10 off for 2 hours), and i still cramped up in the last game. i eat a protein bar before i go play and drink gatorade throughout the night, what should i be doing differently to prevent this?

Eat a banana before you play and do that stretch I mentioned earlier, push back on your toes from a press up position one leg at a time. It stretches the calves perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Man, I love playing on my current 7-man indoor team. Every game we set up in a 3-3. We have three smooth ball-controlling forwards, and three really fast defenders. Every attack is just basic as hell--let the 3 forwards do their magic and have 1-2 of the defenders come crashing forward towards goal. These scrubs teams have no clue how to handle it. It is awesome.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Soulex posted:

Practice dribbling with a tennis ball?

I have a "skill ball" (like a little bigger than a softball) that a friend gave me a few years back when I started playing - it just sits on my living room floor, and whenever I go to the kitchen/bathroom/etc I dribble it along with me. Not at a jog or anything, just normal walking, but I dribble it back and forth between my feet while I make sandwiches and such, multitasking etc. It helped me to get a feel for touching/controlling the ball mid-stride, without making you do any silly shuffle steps to put it where you want it, as well as helping me to be able to maneuver it without thinking too much.

When you're playing and you have to look up for a good pass or shot it's helpful to not need to think overly much about what your feet are doing to keep the ball from any defender marking or closing on you. My passing/crossing completion rate got much better when my footwork improved just because I didn't have to think so much about my feet anymore, and I could get into a better position to make whatever pass I was trying for.

As for juggling, that's all I did for the first year or so of my interest in the game (I had no one to play with because sports in this country are stupid) and I'll tell you one thing: I'm decent, not great (especially compared to all the latinos I play with that started at age 3) but I can take balls out of the air and hit volleys better than most of the people I've played with, including one friend I have on a semi-pro team, and I think juggling consistently is why. Best thing to do for this is to control your juggle - try and knock the ball up to waist height each time, and go back and forth between your right and left feet (resist the urge to focus on your dominant foot, best to learn weak foot skills before you have a strong foot methinks)

When you're juggling, make sure you're hitting it with your laces/the ridge of your foot - ideally, while in the air, it will be spinning back toward you slowly. If it's spinning super fast you're not hitting it squarely on the underside, you're hitting it at an angle or clipping it with your toes.

The piece of advice that I think is most important when learning socker applies to shooting/passing: Don't try to put any power behind a strike until you've got your form figured out. I see too many people who take the hardest possible shot over and over in practice before they know where to strike the ball - you'll pull a muscle, you'll ingrain an incorrect form into your head, you'll do everything except learn how to hit it correctly. Form first, power second - you'll find that a lot of your power comes from having good form, leverage etc.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Soulex posted:

Edit: Also, what other gear am I going to need? I'm just kind of jumping into this, but I think I'm going to have a lot of fun. Also, instructional videos if any.

Your touch is the most important thing, as mentioned before, so don't skimp on that. Also, if you're right-footed, DO NOT IGNORE YOUR LEFT FOOT. Ideally, you should be able to do everything equally well with BOTH feet. That almost never happens IRL, but you should give each foot equal time in your practice. I've seen a lot of guys lose simple, easy-to-reach balls because they forget they have two feet and try to reach across their body with their dominant foot and either get turned around, fall over, or just miss the ball entirely. If the ball's on your weak side, you should be able to control it with your weak foot.

There are all kinds of videos with skill drills and such on YouTube, just search for "soccer skill" or "moves" or "drills" or whatever.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I'm left-footed but can control, pass and dribble equally well with both feet, and can shoot okish with my right (although my left is quite a bit stronger) and I can't tell you enough how much of an advantage it gives you over one-footed people.

As already said, first touch and control is the biggy to learn, since that instantly gives you a lot more time when you receive the ball so you can work out what to do with it, instead of faffing around trying to stop it bobbling

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

mang posted:

first goal in forever tonight, plus i got offered to join a local team for the spring. feeling pretty :smug: right now

also, my calves cramp every single week at the end of the night. tonight i tried stretching in between every game (we play 20 minutes on and 10 off for 2 hours), and i still cramped up in the last game. i eat a protein bar before i go play and drink gatorade throughout the night, what should i be doing differently to prevent this?

You need magnesium.
Buy some at the drugstore and consume it about 30 minutes before kickoff.

Dont take to much at first, can give you the shits ;)

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Adulterous Hitler posted:

You need magnesium.
Buy some at the drugstore and consume it about 30 minutes before kickoff.

Dont take to much at first, can give you the shits ;)

Or just eat a banana, in case you forget your jar of magnesium.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Make sure with magnesium you get magnesium aspartate or just get ZMA which also comes with zinc aspartate. The absorption rates on all the super cheap ones are horrible, like less than 1%. Bananas help too I guess if you're one of those strange people stuck in the stone age who rather eat food than a bunch of pills every day.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hallowed Turban posted:

Or just eat a banana, in case you forget your jar of magnesium.

Didn't see you post, bananas are a very healthy alternative and a good source of magnesium. But most magnesium supplements are higher dosed and I usually don't have time in between matches to eat another banana so I prepare 1l of magnesium water and drink most of it before the match then some more during the match and in brakes.

Also no squished bananas in the bag :haw:

grvm posted:

Make sure with magnesium you get magnesium aspartate or just get ZMA which also comes with zinc aspartate. The absorption rates on all the super cheap ones are horrible, like less than 1%. Bananas help too I guess if you're one of those strange people stuck in the stone age who rather eat food than a bunch of pills every day.

Ah yes, get magnesium aspartate.

ephex fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 27, 2012

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Didn't see you post, bananas are a very healthy alternative and a good source of magnesium. But most magnesium supplements are higher dosed and I usually don't have time in between matches to eat another banana so I prepare 1l of magnesium water and drink most of it before the match then some more during the match and in brakes.

Also no squished bananas in the bag :haw:

Ah yes, get magnesium aspartate.

No no, I was just being silly, but I used to have the same problem a few months ago with getting cramp and bananas seemed to have done the trick, alongside stretching the calves very carefully. I only play casually though, not always the most intense games.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Magnesium really messes with some people's calcium absorption. Personally, I don't want to risk stress fractures from magnesium supplementing too much.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

cosmicjim posted:

Magnesium really messes with some people's calcium absorption. Personally, I don't want to risk stress fractures from magnesium supplementing too much.

A lot of magnesium supplements are combined with calcium, or calcium and vitamin d. That is definitely worth taking if you are active and live in a place with no sun.

I'd also recommend taking zinc. It's another mineral in which it is thought many are actually severely deficient. You probably don't want to take it continuously though. If you take zinc supplements, it is often said that there is a risk of copper deficiency, but they often neglect to mention that only occurs if you basically OD on zinc. If you still worry about it, just eat a lot of copper rich food. Also note that the amount of elemental zinc is often mislabeled or misquoted. 50 mg of zinc gluconate only has about 7mg of elemental zinc.

Also, don't ever take mineral supplementation without food. Three reasons: 1) Upset Stomach, 2) Low absorption rate, 3) You'll develop kidney stones

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 27, 2012

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Be careful taking zinc supplements, it's been linked to memory loss and not actually being all that good for your meat and two veg.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Shrapnac posted:

Be careful taking zinc supplements, it's been linked to memory loss and not actually being all that good for your meat and two veg.

That is not accurate. Those studies mostly involved toxic mega doses of zinc that reduced copper absorption as mentioned above. Basically if you don't get enough or get too much it is bad. There are studies showing zinc supplementation for people with deficiency actually IMPROVES memory. One of the studies regarding cases of memory loss were actually related to men who had recently suffered heart attacks and another was mice given mega doses (read, toxic) of zinc.

New Study Shows How Zinc Improves Your Memory

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 27, 2012

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My pre-match meal thesedays usually consists of beans on toast, a pint of water and a banana an hour before the game. Possibly also a 'Dairy Milk' if I'm feeling saucy and I never get injured and score goals err'yday.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I don't have any banana, what else could I have? I have a lot of aching muscles the day after. I might have some beans on toast pre-match

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thirteenth Step posted:

I don't have any banana, what else could I have? I have a lot of aching muscles the day after. I might have some beans on toast pre-match

Beans on toast is a pretty quality combination to be honest. Steve Claridge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Claridge - who still plays for a semi-pro team at the age of 45 swears by the beans/toast combo for matchdays and you can't argue at that.

Throw in some cheese and Worcestershire sauce since we arn't professionals and you need a bit of taste.

Incidentally monday night football is cancelled for the first time in ages tonight due to only having 6/10 players so I'm tempted not to tell the girlfriend, punt her down to her mates for an hour, as is usual when i'm footballing, and have some peace and quiet to get the xbox on the go.

Edit: Dammit, now it's going on with 4 a side tonight. Already did that last night so I'm gonna be shattered once its all over.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 27, 2012

Soup and a Sandwich
Apr 8, 2008

skeng
yo steve claridge is total nob but i heard an interesting stat on beans on toast having the same amount of protein as a steak!

steve claridge though gently caress him.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like Steve Claridge. Although the program I saw him talking about his beans and toast was an unusual piece. I'm sure I saw it through the BBC website. It was a piece on how athletes prepare for their activites. In fact I think it was part of BBCs football focus or something similar. The way it showed you going about his business preparing for a football game he just seemed like some sad, lonely closet homosexual.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Soup and a Sandwich posted:

yo steve claridge is total nob but i heard an interesting stat on beans on toast having the same amount of protein as a steak!

steve claridge though gently caress him.

That stat is definitely wrong unless you're eating dainty 3oz steaks or piling mountains of beans on your toast.

Soup and a Sandwich
Apr 8, 2008

skeng
ah doyyy 5 seconds of googling says it's same quality not quantity.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Wank game tonight, like incredibly poo poo. There's 3 guys (mates that come w/ each other) that will do nothing other than take it past 2 guys and shoot, no matter where they are on the pitch, loving infuriating, I honestly wanted to grab a machete and go on a spree.

Nevermind, next week...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Playing (and somehow enforcing) two-touch or three-touch football is good for training that out of people. Plus it's great when you get to game situations as you develop much better passing awareness and reactions.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Played my first game tonight in since 2006 in a co-ed league, we won 1-2 (I definitely 1-2 be on this team :cool:). It rained for most of the day but the field was turf so we were able to play, though on a really slippery surface.

We bossed the game even though 7 of the 14 who showed up were playing their first game with the team. Played my regular position of left back (though it was left of a 3 man defense so I only really made one forward run), had a few bad touches but for the most part I feel really loving good about how I played.

I literally cannot remember our first goal, but theirs came from a bowling ball of a man running through the right and center back, and our second came from a backpass leading to a free kick on the 6 yard line. Smooth pass to the left and bashed in off the keepers face.

Can't wait for next week, but for now I'm tired and dead though.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
My 5 on 5 team is such poo poo this year. Myself included. Well im the best of the women on the team, we have to play at least 3 women in the field and I seem to be the only one with any sense. So I told the others to stay back and just play defense while I went up with the men. But nnoo they came up too following the ball so I'd have to book it back to our side of the pitch.

Plus I forgot a dark shirt and had to play wearing my awesome Boca Juniors sweatshirt on. Cold night, but drat did it get hot in that thing.

On the plus side, I only has to suffer half a match of our ridiculousness as I had a softball game to get to on the other side of campus.

I wish the Euro 12 was on, international matches always get me jazzed about footy.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Weird game last night. Managed to find another 2 players with an hour to go and it turned into an awesome game which we edged comfortably. Bagged 4 goals form defence including a cheeky back-heel into the bottom corner :D

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
loving lovely

First practice of the season for my Universities club team and I sprain my ankle 30 minutes in. Had to get xrays which thankfully came back negative.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Cross one off the soccer playing bucket list for me. Outran the fullback to get to a long ball, get a first touch to dance around the charging keeper, tap it in the goal. :feelsgood:

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

I think I started playing football too soon after my nail fell off, as my right toe now sort of has two nails overlapping and it looks quite weird. Just saying.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hallowed Turban posted:

I think I started playing football too soon after my nail fell off, as my right toe now sort of has two nails overlapping and it looks quite weird. Just saying.

post a picture of it

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Hallowed Turban posted:

It's normal. Got the same thing. It's nearly all healed up... only took 1 year!

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

post a picture of it

Nobody wants to see that.

mixitwithblop posted:

It's normal. Got the same thing. It's nearly all healed up... only took 1 year!

Yeah, it happened on the big toe of my left foot earlier this year although the nail healed and looks fine but this one just looks bizarre.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
Having moved to Glasgow last October I've only really been playing weekly five and seven-a-side games that friends have invited me to. Last Thursday we had a great game and there seemed to be way more people than usual, I hadn't realised that a couple of decent six-a-side teams had been practicing by playing us.

Long story, short. After the game, in which the other side's "superstar" striker (complete with flashy white predator boots failed to get past me once, their manager invited me along this week for a game/training to see if I would like to join them.

It was last night, and the fellas were mostly decent bar the keeper who is a complete dick, the right back who is unhinged mentally and the previously mentioned "superstar" striker who had a chip on his shoulder 'cos he couldn't get a goal past us in a game of attack vs defence.

I might stick with them the next few weeks to get some more competitive games under my belt, but I will likely end up going back to my friend's games instead. The team was actually a supporters club side for one of the Old Firm here in Glasgow so it looks like there'll be an 'Old Firm' game of sorts, and I don't particularly fancy getting stabbed.

Bearproof
Dec 18, 2008

"Tell me how you play and I will tell you who you are"

Hallowed Turban posted:

Yeah, it happened on the big toe of my left foot earlier this year although the nail healed and looks fine but this one just looks bizarre.

Be careful that it doesn't become ingrown. When I lost my big toenail from getting cleated it became ingrown. I went to a clinic and they said it was quite a big deal, explaining that after incising and cauterizing, I would have to buy special footwear. I went to the podiatrist and he filed it down with this drill thingy and I was out in ten minutes with a healthy toenail again.

Now I am dealing with a bone bruise on the top of my shooting foot, no tendon damage thankfully. I haven't taken a strong shot in weeks - should really be embracing the chance to work on my left foot more.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Bearproof posted:

Be careful that it doesn't become ingrown. When I lost my big toenail from getting cleated it became ingrown. I went to a clinic and they said it was quite a big deal, explaining that after incising and cauterizing, I would have to buy special footwear. I went to the podiatrist and he filed it down with this drill thingy and I was out in ten minutes with a healthy toenail again.

Now I am dealing with a bone bruise on the top of my shooting foot, no tendon damage thankfully. I haven't taken a strong shot in weeks - should really be embracing the chance to work on my left foot more.

I was worried about this on my left toe actually; I was feeling pain in my toe whenever I put weight on it but the pain had subsided by the time I managed to get an appointment at the local surgery, so I ended up not getting it checked out. Not sure if that was a bad idea but it's not been troubling me since. I wasn't terribly aware of the danger of ingrown nails. But thanks for the advice.

What kind of footy do you play anyway? 11 or 5 a side? I feel like a bit of a cheat only ever playing on astro and 5 a side nowadays - can't remember the last time I played more than a kick about on a grass pitch, only blades I have are a pair of early F50s I think.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Hallowed Turban posted:

Zero Star mk2

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Zero Star mk2

No no no, not that horrendous.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
gently caress I really want the latest T90 Laser IV but Nike is having an announcement on the 19th. Season is just starting now and my CTR360's could use a rest

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

don't think I'll have a good game tonight, my legs feel v tired and I'm not sure what a can do to get them feeling ok again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Cannot wait for tomorrow night; first training session of the new season. Also first trial match on Sunday, will be interested how the body holds up after a long wet offseason with not as much exercise as desired.