Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Upgraded my balcony a bit. Not much talent in it, but it looks ten times nicer now.

This is a really good system, we had the floor done in almost 15 minutes.

Way too much garbage from those chairs and sofa.

Just ignore my dad, taking a break from helping me.

I really love it now, before it was just that bleak place with nothing in it and never used. Now it is a room more I can live in. This will be an awesome summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Those tile things are cool. Do you have a link?

I think I'd be compelled to not put them in all regular, though...I'd either end up with zigzags, or something truly random just to irk people. :haw:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Bad Munki posted:

Those tile things are cool. Do you have a link?

I think I'd be compelled to not put them in all regular, though...I'd either end up with zigzags, or something truly random just to irk people. :haw:
Ah sorry, I don't think I can provide a link. I bought them in a local hardware store called OBI (I'm in Europe). It was some no name product and their website only lists the new promotions. :(
However I will need to get some more next week cause they didn't have enough for my balcony, so maybe I can provide something then.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Helios Grime posted:

Ah sorry, I don't think I can provide a link. I bought them in a local hardware store called OBI (I'm in Europe). It was some no name product and their website only lists the new promotions. :(
However I will need to get some more next week cause they didn't have enough for my balcony, so maybe I can provide something then.

I found this - seems to be similar if not exactly the same thing.

http://www.decktiles.org/

Hey, they offer free samples! Hmm...

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Quatrefoil posted:

Is that a papercraft child of Karras boiler I see there in the background? If so, does a usable complete template actually exist? Last time I read about one people were mostly talking about the original model being unusable as is due to clipping.

This is what I was working from. There are still issues with the template, and I haven't finished that guy yet.

[/quote]

Nebula
Dec 30, 2004

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I found this - seems to be similar if not exactly the same thing.

http://www.decktiles.org/

Hey, they offer free samples! Hmm...

They install these on an episode of Ask This Old House(from 2:20 onwards). Seems like a pretty nice system.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've seen those deck tiles on Holmes and other DIY shows, they are kinda cool but expensive I suspect.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Helios Grime posted:

Upgraded my balcony a bit.

How does cleaning work? Do you vacuum it?

Nebula posted:

They install these on an episode of Ask This Old House(from 2:20 onwards). Seems like a pretty nice system.

At the end there they show 1x2 panels and also stone panels. It would be interesting to order a stack of the plastic undercarriage and epoxy your own locally sourced floor surface to them

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

How does cleaning work? Do you vacuum it?

Probably, I do know that there will be a nice accumulation of dust there if I ever remove it. I should however, put some finishing on it. But because the balcony is covered to 4/5 I'll put that on the back burner.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was thinking about spilling a soda/beer/egg salad and the resulting fruit flies, etc. I think it's a great solution, especially in your situation, but cleaning seems like it'll be a chore to clean. Are those tiles dishwasher safe? ;)

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What's the likelihood of wind getting under them and lifting them?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

I was thinking about spilling a soda/beer/egg salad and the resulting fruit flies, etc. I think it's a great solution, especially in your situation, but cleaning seems like it'll be a chore to clean. Are those tiles dishwasher safe? ;)
If there would be a big spillage of food or otherwise, then yes it would be a loving chore to clean that up. And no, their not. ;)

SpaceMost posted:

What's the likelihood of wind getting under them and lifting them?
At my place? None.
Would probably need a pretty strong gust of Wind to do that in a Garden. There are also end pieces to put along the edges so wind can't get directly under it. And depending on the ground you could probably pin them down.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Hadlock posted:

If it was outside (not on a balcony) you could probably just spray it out with a hose.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Blistex posted:

That leather work is sexy as hell and I'm sure you could make some serious bank selling them in TFR.

Would you like a custom title or anything? I did not think these would sell, until you mentioned it. I posted in the TFR Classifieds and I've sold two so far.

Here's the first one, shipping out today. The goon wanted a snakeskin pattern, and I'm pretty happy with how the tooling came out.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Pagan posted:

Would you like a custom title or anything? I did not think these would sell, until you mentioned it. I posted in the TFR Classifieds and I've sold two so far.

Here's the first one, shipping out today. The goon wanted a snakeskin pattern, and I'm pretty happy with how the tooling came out.

This is amazing. Can I ask how somebody without a clue can get started in leatherworking?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 8, 2012

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Currently working on rebuilding last year's bike motor kit. Decided to ditch the old frame entirely and start fresh.

This is what I've got done so far:

More details on my blog.
So far I've had to lace the coaster brake hub off the original bike onto a new wheel, chop/bend the rear fender, bend the brake-arm, fix the stem and widen the back of the frame. Still a ton of work left to do, though. Here's the bike when I got it home from the dump:

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

This is amazing. Can I ask how somebody without a clue can get started in leatherworking?

I started out with a Tandy leather beginner kit, the one found here : http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/Starter-Sets/55510-00.aspx

The tools in it aren't great, but they're a good start and you can add as you go. The leather in that kit alone is worth the price.

I did most of the items in that kit, and then started buying more leather and more tools. I think the only major thing you CAN'T do with that setup is sew, but sewing supplies are cheap.

I just kept making stuff and experimenting, and practicing. I got started because I wanted to make renfaire / cosplay leather armor for cheap, but I got bored with that pretty quickly, and started working on other things.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

A different project, besides leather. I decided one day to build a shield, and figured the shields of Gondor from LOTR were pretty cool. I dragged the giant thing with me to a photo shoot today, and got a few pix.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I made a headphone amp.

It's fun :3:

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 11, 2012

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Pagan posted:

A different project, besides leather. I decided one day to build a shield, and figured the shields of Gondor from LOTR were pretty cool. I dragged the giant thing with me to a photo shoot today, and got a few pix.

Man that's awesome. How did you make it?

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Man that's awesome. How did you make it?

I followed this process : http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_shieldpress.asp

I didn't cover it with anything, though. I found some cheap poplar planks and just glued them onto the front. The color is a mix of ebony stain and thinned black paint, and I picked up some brass upholstery nails. I painted it before engraving the design on the front.

The White Tree of Gondor, I printed out on a sheet of paper, then sprayed it with a very light 3M adhesive. I stuck that on the front, and used a dremel with a fine bit to trace the pattern.

The back side, I made my own leather handle and grip. I haven't decided how to finish the edges, and it needs some foam padding. It's sturdy as hell; two layers of 1/4" plywood, and then the poplar over it. Very heavy, too. I couldn't imagine carrying something like that around all day during a battle.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Thanks a lot! That's a really cool project.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I made a headphone amp.

It's fun :3:

Care to share a schematic?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Scottw330 posted:

Care to share a schematic?

It's the O2 amp

It's got great specs if you like chip amps.

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012
This is my first post on SA. Hope this is in the right place. If this is not the right place for this could some one please help me out.

I am thinking about making this:

It was inspired by somthing i saw in the "show random stuff you made" in the General BS where some one made a simple desk lamp out of an old camera. What I want to make is a self powered lamp that you would pull the cord down and it would start a wind up generator to power a LED. The light from which is then passed through an old camera lense (of which i have manny) to end up being refracted in a random peice of cut glass (of which my wife has manny.

It is just an idea at the moment but i was hoping some of you clever lot could help me make this a reality.
The current gaps in my knolege are:

What sort of generator should I use?
Will the camera lense actualy intensify the light from the LED?

Thanks

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're not going to get more than 20 seconds of light out of that.

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012

Dolphin posted:

You're not going to get more than 20 seconds of light out of that.

Not even with some gears to slow down the weights decent ?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jqim posted:

Not even with some gears to slow down the weights decent ?
No. Gravity will give you like 2 seconds of light, a heavy duty spring would give you more potential energy but it still won't be enough for anything worthwhile unless the whole contraption is very large and you use some pretty crazy gear ratios. Instead of gravity and working out all the technical stuff yourself you'd be better off just getting a wind up LED flashlight and rigging it into a lamp.

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012
Ok scratch the generator, I would want it to be able to be switched on unattended for half hour at least. Would run if off a battery or mains power.

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012
I should have said, this thing would be a standard lamp style. So it would be about 1.5m high.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Power it with a big ol' battery, but have the weight control the switch, and slowly lower down (or draw up, depending on how you do it, with the grabby thing as a handle to lift the "real" weight) so that it appears to be run off the energy of the weight, but isn't really.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 13, 2012

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are you thinking of doing it grandfather clock-style? I don't think you could get more than five minutes of power out of it, unless you used some custom tempered steel gearing and upped the weight by about 200 lbs. You might be able to modify a grandfather clock to get 20 seconds of light out of it. Grandfather clocks generally have two 20lb weights in them.

edit: if you know the weight and distance, you should be able to figure out the theoretical maximum amount of power you could derive from the system. For example a 200lb (90kg) weight falling 5 ft (1.5m) should yield about 4.5w continuous (for 5 minutes in a perfect system), or ~22w of power total. I think. It's been over a decade since I took physics so I might be off by a factor of 10. A really powerful handheld LED flashlight from walmart pulls about 2w I think.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 13, 2012

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012

Hadlock posted:

For example a 200lb (90kg) weight falling 5 ft (1.5m) should yield about 4.5w continuous (for 5 minutes in a perfect system), or ~22w of power total.

Don't want to have somthing that heavy. I will knock it over and kill somthing. Going to run it off the mains I think and use standard fixings and get the lowest power bulb I can find that will shine into the camera lense.

Maybe this:

http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets...%7Cprd:28886257

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I was sure those were development shots of "The Zyborne Clock II: Generator Generation".

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012

Blistex posted:

The Zyborne Clock II: Generator Generation

Just looked that up. Point taken.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Is there any reason the light has to be at the base and directed through a camera lens and long tube?

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012

Panzerschwein posted:

Is there any reason the light has to be at the base and directed through a camera lens and long tube?

The goal of the project is to make use of items i have in my house.
Namly camera lenses and glass ornaments. I though shining a low powered light through the lense would intensify it, then passing it through the cut glass ornament would disperse it creating a recycled chic lightscource.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The problem with that is that a lens doesn't just intensify light. It can't make more light than it has to work with. It can concentrate the light, but I don't think that would help much. And an LED already has a pretty narrow throw of light, typically.

Now, if you had an intense light source and put the camera lens up to it to disperse it that could be cool. Something like a wide angle lens that would spread out the light, right? And you could still put your glass bits around the lens, if you wanted to.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

More holsters. I figured a few WIP shots might help so others can see how I do it.

This is just after dying and rinsing, so the color looks a bit flat and dull. I will polish it up, then start sewing. The stitching is the most time consuming, but I can also do it while watching TV, so it tends to get finished the fastest. I also don't have to wait for things to dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Pagan posted:

More holsters. I figured a few WIP shots might help so others can see how I do it.

This is just after dying and rinsing, so the color looks a bit flat and dull. I will polish it up, then start sewing. The stitching is the most time consuming, but I can also do it while watching TV, so it tends to get finished the fastest. I also don't have to wait for things to dry.

Wow. How long have you been working with leather?