Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

leica posted:

Cool. Vulcan Tire has 195/60/14 Azenis RT-165k's for $88 a piece. That's 20 bucks cheaper than Star Specs from Tirerack, and the reviews about them seem to be the same. Great grip, about the same wear, and decent in rain, just avoid standing water seems to be the consensus.

That extra $$$ could pay for mounting, balancing and a good alignment.

Having had both on Miatas, the Star Specs are significantly better than Azenis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
I found someone selling an LSD out of an '04 Mazdaspeed. Is it feasible to get it to bolt into my '95?

EDIT: Looks like it requires MSM axles. The guy is selling the diff for $150. It looks like axles would be another $170. Worth it?

Grayham fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 6, 2012

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If it comes with the halfshafts it should work. I've never done it myself so someone else should confirm, but they should fit into the standard wheel hubs.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Lowclock posted:

But how can you pass up a quality name like "Ling Long"? Sadly, that seems to be one of the better Chinese tires.

Nothing compared to the great confidence that the brand "Achilles" inspires. Either these chinamen just found a mythology book or they have a sick perverted sense of irony.

On the topic of Star Specs v Azenis, if you live in a drier climate (I'm in SoCal) then go for Azenis 110%. Unless TireRack has that crazy $100 MIR going on again the Starspecs are overpriced.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Grayham posted:

I found someone selling an LSD out of an '04 Mazdaspeed. Is it feasible to get it to bolt into my '95?

EDIT: Looks like it requires MSM axles. The guy is selling the diff for $150. It looks like axles would be another $170. Worth it?

Diff with or without carrier?

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Mr.AARP posted:

Diff with or without carrier?

It sounds like its the entire diff and housing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Grayham posted:

It sounds like its the entire diff and housing.

Then that's a crazy good deal.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unless something has changed since when I parted out a car last year that's a really good price. I got 500$ for a complete 1.8 type 1 Torsen differential, without halfshafts.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy
I'm trying to sell my 1996 1.8 (sort of) long block...

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

leica posted:

Cool. Vulcan Tire has 195/60/14 Azenis RT-165k's for $88 a piece. That's 20 bucks cheaper than Star Specs from Tirerack, and the reviews about them seem to be the same. Great grip, about the same wear, and decent in rain, just avoid standing water seems to be the consensus.

That extra $$$ could pay for mounting, balancing and a good alignment.

No, spend the $100 for the star specs. These are your tires, buy the best you can afford. I love mine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Too late, ordered the Azenis because I need the extra cash. When those wear out I'll try out the Star Specs.

Also let me just say I'm a dumbass because I didn't catch something that every used Miata buyer should look out for. I'm disappointed with myself because I worked with Miatas and have dealt with this issue before. Guess what it is and you can be a smug jerk about it and call me stupid.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rocker rust?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

DreamOn13 posted:

Rocker rust?

Crushed me when I found that on mine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow first guess, I feel even dumber now :(

Driver's side

Passenger side

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It sucks, but I'm not sure it would have been a deal breaker because it's the cleanest Miata I've ever run across for 3k. If anything I could have used it as a haggling excuse. As it was I already talked them down 500 from the asking price. Also power package (Torsen) and hollow spokes, exactly what I wanted and surprisingly has been hard to find in my price range around here, nothing but base models.

If anyone could remind me how to clean out the top drains that would be great.....IIRC there is a way to get into the rocker and clean it out but I don't remember. I'm probably wrong though :(

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 7, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Pick up a new radiator and check to see what's leaking out of the head.

I love the Montego Blue Mica, and it's unfortunate to hear about your rocker rust. :(

e: what the gently caress, rust on the driver side door sill?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I haven't done it but was told to remove the wheel well plastic bits and clean underneath them. More importantly (as a preventative which won't help you) is to clean the drains that run through the body and become clogged over time. A coax cable with no connectors is said to be perfect for this. There are two on the rear sill, cannot recall if others.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
If your rockers are color matched, doesn't that mean the car has been painted? I thought the the lower 3-4 inches were all black from the factory.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Konrad posted:

If your rockers are color matched, doesn't that mean the car has been painted? I thought the the lower 3-4 inches were all black from the factory.

That was only the first few years (and the texture in the paint is definitely factory).

And leica, that's some good rot there. Good news is that your rockers are self-draining now.

When I found the rot on mine I talked to some of the big Miata names and one of the guys at FM characterized its effect as "making it handle like a wet noodle." It's a difficult repair, too. The good news is that you can stiffen it back up with the FM butterfly brace and repair (or cover) as you wish.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 7, 2012

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

meatpimp posted:

That was only the first few years (and the texture in the paint is definitely factory).

And leica, that's some good rot there. Good news is that your rockers are self-draining now.

When I found the rot on mine I talked to some of the big Miata names and one of the guys at FM characterized its effect as "making it handle like a wet noodle." It's a difficult repair, too. The good news is that you can stiffen it back up with the FM butterfly brace and repair (or cover) as you wish.

I see. I'm dealing with the same issue on my '90.

I bonded a patch on.

My ham fisted attempt at blending it in.

You can still see the overlap if you look carefully, but it's on the bottom of the car and I'm hoping some chip guard will help conceal it. I repainted the whole car after removing all the little dings that have been bugging me for the last 12 years. The car has some sentimental value. It's not perfect, but I did it myself. :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Konrad posted:

Well guess what, the lower part is going to be black after I repair it. Will be ten times easier and cheaper than trying to blend in the color.

I'm trying not to let myself get upset over it because I wanted a Miata to just drive and not baby, but the inner anal car nut in me wants everything to be perfect :( I'm really more pissed at myself for not catching it before I bought it, I looked at the car right when the sun went down and forgot my flashlight. I think I didn't even consider it because the car has clearly been garaged and is so clean, usually cars that sit outside have this issue.

Oh well, just gonna have to fix it. Good excuse to buy a welder :unsmith:

Meatpimp, do you mean just the frame rail stiffeners, or the entire butterfly brace?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 7, 2012

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
What I was told by a Miata nut is that the drains have a one way valve that really doesn't do anything but help clog them up. SOme people actually ream them out from underneath and break the valve open. That's supposed to be the one cause of the moisture which leads to rust. The second cause is that road dirt gets caught over time in the wheel well lining which is also a mini splash guard, which can be removed and cleaned, but I haven't ever done this nor do I have my car handy to confirm it's possible.

Can any of you confirm the drain and wheel well bits?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's pretty easy to remove and clean behind the plastic guards. I'm not sure what you're talking about about drains. I've only seen what looks like plugs, are they actually drains or are most plugs and there's a couple drains in special spots?

If you do remove the splash guards you'll probably want a handful of replacement plastic fasteners because half of them will break when you're removing them.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

craig588 posted:

It's pretty easy to remove and clean behind the plastic guards. I'm not sure what you're talking about about drains. I've only seen what looks like plugs, are they actually drains or are most plugs and there's a couple drains in special spots?

If you do remove the splash guards you'll probably want a handful of replacement plastic fasteners because half of them will break when you're removing them.
ok here's the service bulletin saying to open them up and paint over them where you chipped the paint off :eek:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/s034_94.html

pics of bottom drain holes
http://www.rivercityroad.com/garage/drain.html

top of drain hole (scroll down or search for drain hole)
http://revlimiter.net/blog/2010/04/miata-soft-top-removal/

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks! Seriously. I have a sloshing sound after heavy rain and figured it was just normal to slowly work its way out. I'm going out to check that out right now! I remember seeing those little bubbles and figured they were just a structural thing.

Update: Oh no! I'm going to have to put the car up in the air and work on those. My drains are completely solid with rust which has then been covered by some sort of rust proofing making doing any sort of work on them incredibly difficult. At least it's from the south so it's not exposed to salt on the roads.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 7, 2012

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice
Sorry to hear that. Well if you don't care what happens at the bottom of the drain try reaming them out from the top maybe? That's the proper maintenance process. Any debris which is carried off the fabric top at the rear of the top passes through those drains and they're small so they clog unless you ream them out after rains. It's a poor design.

The hardtop covers those drains entirely as you can figure out when you look at them.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
After an hour with a hammer and chisel I have 1 open on each corner. I did the better looking one of each pair, if I opened up all of them I'd probably be there another 3 hours. I blew out the rails with an air compressor and got at least 3 handfuls worth of sand.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm scared to start tearing into mine, I'm just praying it's not too bad behind the sheet metal.

Also these Chinese tires are hilariously bad, it feels like the car has sponges for tires :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

I'm scared to start tearing into mine, I'm just praying it's not too bad behind the sheet metal.

Also these Chinese tires are hilariously bad, it feels like the car has sponges for tires :v:

Your passenger side isn't bad. The driver's side may have some goodies underneath.

I was thinking full butterfly brace when I had my car.

That TSB linked above was from '94. How in the gently caress did I miss that? I ran the damned Garage section of miata.net and was into Miata stuff hard core from '97-07. HOW did I miss that? If I had seen that TSB I may have saved mine from the rot. Then again, I never worried about it, since it spent its entire life in a heated garage... such a bummer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So what did you do with yours, did you fix the rust or did you leave it for the next guy :v:

Also would anyone happen to know why my parking/dash lights automatically come on when I turn the key to the ON position? gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 8, 2012

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

leica posted:

Also would anyone happen to know why my parking/dash lights automatically come on when I turn the key to the ON position? gently caress.

Maybe jury-rigged DRLs? I'm trying to be positive today.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah, more like jury rigged DRPL's. Not sure why that would be, but I'm hoping that's the case otherwise there is some wacky poo poo going on.

Gotta love 17 year old cars! I keep running through my head the poo poo I need to do to this car as far as maintenence and just poo poo I need/want for it and the list seems never ending. At least tires are out of the way, best way to improve a Miata.

Hey I found a good way to cover up some rocker repair, is this a bad idea.....http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/2842770235.html

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 8, 2012

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Taking care of a 17 year Miata is easy, just do what I did and replace 50%+ of the wear parts. :v:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Are NA6 and NA8 shocks and springs the same? I can't find any info on it. I found a guy on craiglist selling NA8 racing beat springs. All I could find was that they were stiffer than the NA6 springs which would be better for the illuminas that I'm getting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tokicos :qq:

NA and NB have the same suspension setup with a few differences. 1.6 -> 1.8 should work just fine. For NB -> NA, the NB tophats are a much better design and Shaikh from Fatcat Motorsports can talk your ear off about bumpstop design and whatnot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My experiences with Tokicos is that they like to leak. Not sure if they have improved the design lately, but I wouldn't use them unless I got em super cheap or something.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Thanks for the info. I knew about NA vs NB but not the two NA's. I would go with Koni's but my neighbor has the tokico's brand new from his old miata and he's selling them to me for $200. Kinda hard to beat that price when they're over $500 from Flyin' Miata. He's also got a lightly used Jackson Racing header that I might get too. The lack of money for a catback exhaust to go with it is kind of a damper though.

Also, I hate craigslisters that never respond.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

FatCow posted:

Taking care of a 17 year Miata is easy, just do what I did and replace 50%+ of the wear parts. :v:

You must be doing it wrong, my 17 year old miata just makes me buy tires and change the oil.

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

Figured the best way to transport a new top was to strap it down to the old one.

Picked up the car today, and I'm really happy with it. No more leaks, patches, or duct tape.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006