Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squiggoth
Nov 14, 2003
Waaaagh. Really.
Ralc, you just d/c'ed a few seconds after creating, and haven't seen you. Let me know what time you will play so I can be on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Man, I miss old DAoC. Glad to see some of you goons are still playing.

My brother has played off and on since release... he has a level 50 of every class, and most are RR8+, he's always trying to get me back into the game, but I just can't do it! :spergin:

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
Roll a hiberton and come prance around with us. You won't be sorry

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Squiggoth posted:

Ralc, you just d/c'ed a few seconds after creating, and haven't seen you. Let me know what time you will play so I can be on.

Sorry about that, my power went out and I had to mess with some wiring and stuff, took like 2 hours. I might get on later tonight but I have people coming so we will see. Otherwise I will be on a lot tomorrow I imagine.

Squiggoth
Nov 14, 2003
Waaaagh. Really.

Kudosx posted:

Man, I miss old DAoC. Glad to see some of you goons are still playing.

My brother has played off and on since release... he has a level 50 of every class, and most are RR8+, he's always trying to get me back into the game, but I just can't do it! :spergin:

Duo level with me, on *yet another character* I'll make. We'll be noobs doing it together!

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

fishhooked posted:

Roll a hiberton and come prance around with us. You won't be sorry

In Hib is is definitely a frolic. (if you are a keen, its more like a canter).

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Oh god three accounts reactivated, at least the trial lets me figure out which characters are where. Is anyone trying to run something specific at 50 and what is needed for it in Hib?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What do I do at 45? Cathal seems to get me ganked every 30 seconds!

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

concerned mom posted:

What do I do at 45? Cathal seems to get me ganked every 30 seconds!
Go do glass quests in Atlantis and hit 50 then do some real RvR.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Ralconn posted:

Yeah, get to 50 so you too can be rolled by a pile of albs:

http://imgur.com/T1Kby

Last night was a really good rvr night in the group Jeahs and I were in. We ended up with about 40k RPs and an absolutely epic fight at a keep where Mids had twice or 3x our numbers, and we held them off for a long, long time. I seriously have no idea how long it was because it was just straight up chaiin casting at anyone who came up the steps to the roof.

Here's the inevitable result: http://imgur.com/T3wuZ

However, it was fun as hell.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ralconn posted:

Awesome these quests level you so quickly! This game really doesn't cater to newbies or people who haven't played in ages. So I've earned myself like 2000 Atlantean Glass, gone to the Arbiter, bought the Winged Helm Credit and the Complete Thoughts of Hermes book; how do I now get myself a Winged Helm?!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Once you give in credit and scrolls, you find the right arbiter in the hall, from where the artifact comes from. So, like, shades of mist would be volcanus.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

This is really convoluted, but:

1. Give the Winged Helm Credit to the sphynx you bought it from (you should get a message on how you've completed the encounter)
2. Find the <x Affairs> person in that same hall that does the Winged Helm encounter (just keep looking, he's in there somewhere)
3. Once you find him, pick Winged Helm, he'll ask you for the book, hand him the book and you should get the item.

Then you get to level it, which mercifully doesn't take long at all anymore. Also keep doing glass quests for money, more glass to buy artifacts and master levels, and afrits that you can turn in to the crystal titan outside of Green Glades in Aerus.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Ah so you give it BACK to them. Amazing Mythic! You are a great dev in some ways, and in others...

One more stupid question. If I go straight for the 5000 glass turkey and buy ml10 encounter credit, does it cover 1-9 as well or do I have to buy them all together?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Knew I missed a couple steps. Haha.

Gotta buy em all, buddy.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

You have to buy them all individually, so its like 20k glass or something. It goes pretty quick though especially if you need money and champion exp anyway.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys for all the help! I can't seem to find this titan but I guess that can wait for a bit:) DAOC needs a Wowhead that isn't crap

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Kzar still leading the insanely huge Alb zergs? We used to target him first with our castershade group, ganking him then vanishing before the rest of the zerg knew what happened.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Its not Kzar anymore, but Albs are still zerging, yes. Last few nights they've been running anywhere from 90-100 together, but I've seen it be up to about the 170s. Its pretty insane.

I think the zerg leader there now is Billings.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Are there any goon guilds in this, and if so, on what servers/realms?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Are people still paying $30 a month so they can have a buff bot? They were pretty common when I played this 7-8 years ago.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Are there any goon guilds in this, and if so, on what servers/realms?

The majority of us are on Hibernia. Doesn't matter which of the Ywain servers you pick, they're all linked.

slev posted:

Are people still paying $30 a month so they can have a buff bot? They were pretty common when I played this 7-8 years ago.

Some do (me), but you can get by with the realm buffers just fine.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

How fast is leveling these days? Did they add any new mechanics to speed it up and/or make it interesting, or is it still just grinding a good spawn with 7 other shitheads until you get carpal tunnel, want to strangle yourself, or hit 50?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

How fast is leveling these days? Did they add any new mechanics to speed it up and/or make it interesting, or is it still just grinding a good spawn with 7 other shitheads until you get carpal tunnel, want to strangle yourself, or hit 50?

Have you read literally any of this thread at all?

Leveling is faster than ever and you can do it solo if you really feel like it. There's a new starter zone that takes you to 10 pretty quickly, and from there you do repeatable battlegrounds quests for tons of xp, bounty points, and probably some realm points as you're leveling in a pvp area.

I've leveled 3 characters to 50 now on hib, having previously not played hib ever, and each of them took around 14 hours. Some people are getting it done even faster than that now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I got a warden to level 45 in a little over 5 hours /played. poo poo is bananas.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Combo posted:

Have you read literally any of this thread at all?

Leveling is faster than ever and you can do it solo if you really feel like it. There's a new starter zone that takes you to 10 pretty quickly, and from there you do repeatable battlegrounds quests for tons of xp, bounty points, and probably some realm points as you're leveling in a pvp area.

I've leveled 3 characters to 50 now on hib, having previously not played hib ever, and each of them took around 14 hours. Some people are getting it done even faster than that now.

Nope, didn't read the thread at all. Sorry. :)

Also, holy poo poo? 50 in 14 hours? I guess I have to give this a shot. This'll work out nicely as I never played Hibs when I originally played... ten years ago. drat.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 5, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Nope, didn't read the thread at all. Sorry. :)

Also, holy poo poo? 50 in 14 hours? I guess I have to give this a shot. This'll work out nicely as I never played Hibs when I originally played... ten years ago. drat.

Yeah, its miles better. Basically do battlegrounds quests from 10-45, and glass quests from 45-50.

Also group up as much as you can for the BG quests, there really is no benefit to doing them solo. The more people you have, the faster they go.

Some battlegrounds will be a struggle (20-24, 35-39), because they're the ones where people stop and rvr, but you can still get things accomplished, just not as quickly.

Squiggoth
Nov 14, 2003
Waaaagh. Really.
Yesterday was some pretty fun leveling in the 10-15 and 15-20 battlegrounds. We had 1 hero (Ral) and 5 healers (druids and bards). Some were in Cult, some were just pick ups.

The leveling was freaking fast as hell, no joke. And we killed 6-7 Albs and a few Mids. My shining moment of awesomeness was doing figure 8s kiting a guy while the other dudes whooped on him for about 20 seconds.

Fantastic. It settled which old school, awesome game I'll be spending time and money on.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Squiggoth posted:

Yesterday was some pretty fun leveling in the 10-15 and 15-20 battlegrounds. We had 1 hero (Ral) and 5 healers (druids and bards). Some were in Cult, some were just pick ups.

The leveling was freaking fast as hell, no joke. And we killed 6-7 Albs and a few Mids. My shining moment of awesomeness was doing figure 8s kiting a guy while the other dudes whooped on him for about 20 seconds.

Fantastic. It settled which old school, awesome game I'll be spending time and money on.

Yah dude we raped some Albs last night. Good fun to be had in this guild.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Does anyone happen to know who Becilbher or Furyarrows are? I have no idea where they came from. :)

The Baumer
Oct 22, 2008
I'm becilhber

Zanato
Aug 24, 2010
How long does it take to complete a top tier item build these days? I remember grinding for weeks on my necromancer, slaying those damned lizard creatures all night for glass and plats. This was around a year ago. Also, just how much more effective are buff bots than the NPCs? I would rather not be at a noticeable disadvantage in RvR.

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
calling all forest friends for a game of touch tail

Zanato posted:

How long does it take to complete a top tier item build these days? I remember grinding for weeks on my necromancer, slaying those damned lizard creatures all night for glass and plats. This was around a year ago. Also, just how much more effective are buff bots than the NPCs? I would rather not be at a noticeable disadvantage in RvR.

I finished my warden's template in 2 days. Going from lv1-10 artis takes about an hour. The only thing really prohibitive about temping your characters is the money.

Buff bots are still around, but realm buffs do just fine.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

So I started a Eldrich, died over and over again while leveling, got frustrated, and made a Enchanter. So far so good - Killing mobs is absurdly easy with the damage shield and my freshly minted buffbot to heal. What I'm worried about is Enchanter's PvP viability though. I guess Eldriches nuke better, which, for me, looks better on paper than PBAE damage spells.

I remember that PBAE used to be pretty sick nasty back in the day, but it required a extremely coherent and good group to pull off in PvP.

Finally, can someone give me a primer on the new post-Atlantis classes and what the hell they do?

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 6, 2012

Squiggoth
Nov 14, 2003
Waaaagh. Really.

Geisladisk posted:

So I started a Eldrich, died over and over again while leveling, got frustrated, and made a Enchanter. So far so good - Killing mobs is absurdly easy with the damage shield and my freshly minted buffbot to heal. What I'm worried about is Enchanter's PvP viability though. I guess Eldriches nuke better, which, for me, looks better on paper than PBAE damage spells.

I remember that PBAE used to be pretty sick nasty back in the day, but it required a extremely coherent and good group to pull off in PvP.

Finally, can someone give me a primer on the new post-Atlantis classes and what the hell they do?

If you died over and over again 1-10, that's perfectly common, I had the same issue with my ranger, you just don't have the tools that you do later on. I'd suggest working it out till 10, then going BG from 10-20, you'll notice 2 things: much faster than 1-10 was because you'll have tanks, healers, etc, and you'll get a good idea of how they are in pvp since you'll probably come across baddies from time to time.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Naw, I was dying over and over after level 10. In any case, I think I'll stick with Enchanter for now - I can always change later if I want. It's not like leveling is hard now. level 17 on two characters after two hours played. :downs:

Anyway, I can't believe how much fun I'm having playing this game again.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

Geisladisk posted:

Naw, I was dying over and over after level 10. In any case, I think I'll stick with Enchanter for now - I can always change later if I want. It's not like leveling is hard now. level 17 on two characters after two hours played. :downs:

Anyway, I can't believe how much fun I'm having playing this game again.

Well a 50 enchanter w/ bot is a great thing to have no matter what, if you ever need money.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

The Baumer posted:

I'm becilhber

It's so hard to keep track of all of the goons now. :P

Geisladisk posted:

What I'm worried about is Enchanter's PvP viability though. I guess Eldriches nuke better, which, for me, looks better on paper than PBAE damage spells.

Enchanters have a couple of new toys, like a shiny new RR5, a single-target root, and some new debuffs. Mana spec is great for PvE and can be decent in RvR, though you might find Light spec a bit easier to pull off in RvR. You get a nice single-target DD with that.

Geisladisk posted:

I'll have to come back to this one after work if no one else answers. :)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I feel like I invited furryarrows to the guild. But, he could be a goon, I dunno!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

What might help is to put a note on each of your characters saying who they belong to.

/gc noteself Combo would give me a note next to my name in the guild window that just said Combo.

That said, I think I have all my alts noted (except my ranger I think) and I'm hoping people actually know who I am :v:

Could always list them here too I guess.

Adenosine
Adeno
Tkemper
Berglund

I think that's it.

• Locked thread