Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

saved a goal with a nesta-esq slide tackle which got me all of the 5's and I served a ball on a loving plate for our best player and he hosed it up, drew in the end, nevermind, enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Thirteenth Step posted:

don't think I'll have a good game tonight, my legs feel v tired and I'm not sure what a can do to get them feeling ok again

Get a good warm up in, it works wonders. There's a reason you see the pros taking a few runs before they come on.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Had a softball game before my soccer match... showed up to the pitch a little late to discover the opposing keeper dislocated his shoulder during warmups.
And since ambulances are so expense here, he refused to let the refs call one for him. So we had to wait for his buddy to come pick him up.

Ended up with only being able to play a quick 20 minute scrimmage.

I had a ton of breakaways but I was playing on the left side and drat, do I need to learn to shoot with my left foot.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Lost 3-2 in a quite exciting game. Their midfield played much better than ours, but their strikers fluffed more shots than Eto'o in FM12. We had far fewer chances but were more clinical. The score went 1-0 -> 1-1 -> 2-1 -> 2-2 -> 3-2 as well, we just couldn't pull it back the 3rd time.

Lost my ball though, apparently someone skied it over the telephone pole height nets into the woods at 9:30 at night, don't think I'll be seeing that one again.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
we had 18 people turn up for a friendly game last night ... we usually are lucky to get 14, was a bit different.

i was in goal for the first half an hour ish and let in an absolute howler for the first goal - long range shot not particularly fast but it was spinning. I got my knee down behind it and it just span into the side netting. I was a bit angry at myself but hey ho.

we went on for a bit and we got it back to 3-1 so I kinda forgot about it...until!
They got a corner and we play you cant shoot in the area but a header is ok. The ball was rolling to me in the area and I like to just clear it and get on the break so I shouted keepers and as I went to kick it, some defender decided to chase it back, swing at the ball, miss it - ended up kicking my leg so I missed the ball as well and it rolled in for 3-2

I slightly redeemed myself by making a triple save where for the last one I was lying on the deck after a dive and some guy shot from a narrow angle. Literally the only thing I could do was stick my arm in the air and hope the ball hit it - it did and I tipped it over for a corner. :D

I came out of goal and played centre back to try and adjust our 2-0-7 formation to have more at the back and we finished up about 6-2 in the end.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Thirteenth Step posted:

don't think I'll have a good game tonight, my legs feel v tired and I'm not sure what a can do to get them feeling ok again

Bit late in seeing this, but when I have this problem there's a couple of things that can work.

1.) Get some Deep Freeze Gell or whatever brand name/non-brand name you fancy. Personally, I find Boots the Chemists' own stuff does the trick. Massage it onto your legs and sit watching telly or whatever for an hour, before showering it off.

2.) Similar to the above one, but the opposite way. Get a bucket and fill it with warm water. Add a tablespoon or two of salt and dip your legs in for about 20-30 minutes. Bang, relieves the aches and heavy feeling.

3.) Eat and drink things that have loads of calcium, fibre, protein and vitamin E. Glass of milk, bowl of wheetabix or similar, bananas. A carton of papaya juice from the supermarket is a sure-fire way to get a whole load of vitamin E into your system.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

After 3 seasons as keeper, finally started doing some training and played a game at striker.

Scored the tying goal to save us from 5 consecutive losses :smug:

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Going out to play some 3 vs 3 at the local tennis court that got some goals put up. Wish me luck foolios.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
My 6 a side game last night (which I only played for like 5 minutes because of an ankle injury) was pretty ridiculous, both our teams forgot how to defend. Like it was almost embarrassing how bad defending was, we went down 4-0 in the first 5 minutes of the game, fought back to take it to 6-5 at half time then lost 15-11 after 2 of our players went down with injuries and our right back decided he was sergio ramos or something and decided to move himself to right wing, despite my constant yelling from the sidelines.

I had to sub in with 5 mins left, down 13-11, their first move I got smoked and just had to foul their man to save a goal, shoulda been a card on my first move. forgot how much slower you are with a bad ankle and got turned, so I just gave him the old bear hug to stop from them breaking 2 on 1 with the keeper.

I then get into space for two clean shots on goal only to blow them over. They break again on us and smash in one more and a keeper error let them get 15.

This league is pretty bad defensively in general, I don't think there has been less than 5 goals allowed in any of our games (and we have one of the best defensive records in the league somehow, well until last night). Now we're tied on points for 1st with the team we lost to with a match against 3rd next week. Hopefully I'll be able to actually play again for that match.

Bearproof
Dec 18, 2008

"Tell me how you play and I will tell you who you are"

Hallowed Turban posted:

What kind of footy do you play anyway? 11 or 5 a side? I feel like a bit of a cheat only ever playing on astro and 5 a side nowadays - can't remember the last time I played more than a kick about on a grass pitch, only blades I have are a pair of early F50s I think.

6 a side indoor on a roller hockey rink with boards (shoot me). It's the only thing to play until pickup next month. In August I'll be headed back to Buenos Aires where the only games I can get are a couple weekly pickups on a thinly carpeted concrete. Playing elevens there requires a bit more money, time investment, and finding a spot on a stable team.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
There's something to be said for playing on a poo poo surface with a poo poo ball, though. When you ultimately get back to playing on a proper pitch everything feels so easy.

Bearproof
Dec 18, 2008

"Tell me how you play and I will tell you who you are"
Agreed, I just wish we played with a futsal ball instead of the over-sized tennis balls they require.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Pulled out the boss-est save in a futsal game, I was down on the deck after parrying the first shot, the shooter had all the time in the world (defense? Who needs a stinking defense). He goes for the cute little chip to the far post while I'm flopping around like a fish out of water, then I pull some sort of bizarre earthworm-like move to get back to my line. Then while I'm still belly-down I manage to get both legs in the air and scorpion-kick the ball up, off the crossbar, off the side of my head and into my hand. The shooter didn't know what the gently caress ... and neither do I.

Second most boss was while loving around in a five-a-side game - instead of a conventional dive, spun 180° the other way while diving (so my back was to the shooter) and he drilled it into the back of my knees and I curled my legs around the ball to smother it. Pity we lost that game 8-6 purely based on my lovely distribution from the back.

ITT: I post highlights, ignoring the fact that I can't run, can't jump and 99% of the time rely on shooters shooting it straight at me. Except for those times in mixed leagues where the girls nutmeg me easy as you like. :eng99:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Intense game last night. An old drinking buddy is doing Tuesday night games now. It's a step up from Sunday's match and maybe slightly more testing than Monday's then again I was fairly fatiuged from weekend exhertions. About 6 of the players I'd only played with once or twice before. Highlights included a dude wearing a man untied top saying "Carrick" who played more like a "Cantona" (scored almost every goal our team got) and some poncey boy with a bouncing haircut, an arsenal top, and some very tricky feet who scared me shitless whenever he was running at me.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Hey guys, has anyone ever had any look joining a six-a-side team where they don't really know anyone? I've had to move away from where I usually live for a couple of months due to my job and it's getting a bit boring just spending my free time in my room. I was gonna email the manager of the local six-a-side league and ask if any of the teams need a spare player. What do you reckon, good idea/bad idea?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Olewithmilk posted:

Hey guys, has anyone ever had any look joining a six-a-side team where they don't really know anyone? I've had to move away from where I usually live for a couple of months due to my job and it's getting a bit boring just spending my free time in my room. I was gonna email the manager of the local six-a-side league and ask if any of the teams need a spare player. What do you reckon, good idea/bad idea?

Good idea for sure. Unless you've moved to a prison I don't see why this would be a bad idea.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Olewithmilk posted:

Definitely do it. If it's an organized league you can always as the head of the league if they need any spare players to fill out teams, either permanently or on a week by week basis.

I used to do that and got a more consistent run of games that way then when I was playing for an organized team and only getting 1 game a week/night.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Plus there isn't a team on this planet whose players are 100% reliable 100% of the time.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Shrapnac posted:

Definitely do it. If it's an organized league you can always as the head of the league if they need any spare players to fill out teams, either permanently or on a week by week basis.

I used to do that and got a more consistent run of games that way then when I was playing for an organized team and only getting 1 game a week/night.

I second this, with the added bonus that by playing as a spare/ringer you'll get to meet most of the people in the league and maybe have an in on a team for the next season, if you find some people you get along with.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Any tips on playing a 4-4-3 formation with a flat back four? I've had a year off playing and am finding it difficult to get back into the game properly! I've been a sweeper for most of my playing life and found myself a bit lost as a straight centreback. I'm a bit poo poo at marking to say the least, and in a recent practise match I had quite a few through balls getting past me (and the rest of the defence to be honest) and I'm just bit clueless as to where I should be positioning myself on the field in different situations.

Any gurus out there please get stuck in!

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Should probably stop playing Canadian football.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Tongues posted:

Any tips on playing a 4-4-3 formation with a flat back four? I've had a year off playing and am finding it difficult to get back into the game properly! I've been a sweeper for most of my playing life and found myself a bit lost as a straight centreback. I'm a bit poo poo at marking to say the least, and in a recent practise match I had quite a few through balls getting past me (and the rest of the defence to be honest) and I'm just bit clueless as to where I should be positioning myself on the field in different situations.

So wait, you play without a proper goal keeper? You have only 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 3 strikers so do like your defenders rotate who to just kind of awkwardly block goalmouth without trying to hit it with your arms?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Oh Em Gee posted:

So wait, you play without a proper goal keeper? You have only 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 3 strikers so do like your defenders rotate who to just kind of awkwardly block goalmouth without trying to hit it with your arms?

I'm assuming a typo and that he means 442 or 433. Hopefully. Otherwise I've got a suggestion to help their defence...

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Tongues posted:

The main thing is communication. You don't have a designated sweeper in a flat back four, but someone still has to deal with through balls and that means you have to communicate with each other.

If the opponents are playing 2 central strikers, then naturally they'll be picked up by you and the other centre back. That means your fullbacks have to play narrow when in defence because they're responsible for covering behind their centre back. The keeper should be dealing with any ball over the top that is too long for the centre backs to clear.

If they have 1 central striker (whether 4-3-3 or 4-5-1) then you and the other centre back need to decide whether to pass him between you as he moves (in which case again communication is key), or if one of you is going to permanently mark him while the other plays as sweeper (so you have to get used to swapping sides as he moves across the pitch so the sweeper always covers the space).

Basically your positioning is either similar to it was before if you're the spare man, or you should be marking someone tightly, and you need to keep up your communication with the other defenders. They also need to understand all this as well otherwise you're in for a lot of arguments about whose fault it was when you concede.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Cheers for that. Yes I did mean 433, got fat defender fingers. Communication was definitely a downfall for us, but I think we'll get better at that as we play more games. We had training tonight and I think collectively decided to go back to the old 442 with me as sweeper again, at least for the next game (our second ever together).

We're a university team with players from all over and it seems like most clubs in Australia play this way through most age groups, is it as common everywhere? 433 seems like a pretty versatile formation but I don't think we're ready for it yet

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Pretty desperate last minute SOS this but are there Manchester-based posters who would be interested in playing a six a side match tonight can they reply or PM me? Desperately short of players.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Possibly my time to shine?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Whereabouts?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
He plays in this

Rankine Over Gash posted:

Looking to get some mates together for a five a side team in the new year. PowerLeague have offered us a place in a mixed ability league. £10 deposit for the team to join the league and £40 a week, per team, to play. That's a loving fortune, even with a full five a side team and two subs.
I think it's somewhere on the other side of town to me.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

It's East Manchester Academy which is about a minute from the Etihad. M11 3DS is the post code.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Just realised I'm at Old Trafford tonight sorry mate

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

The UEFA Cup has ruined this Thursday night league :(

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
playing an over 30 tourney tonight and some team of 18 year old kids in barcelona shirts showed up, i nutmegged one of them hardcore on a backheel but we lost anyway :(

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

mang posted:

playing an over 30 tourney tonight and some team of 18 year old kids in barcelona shirts showed up, i nutmegged one of them hardcore on a backheel but we lost anyway :(

Why was a team of 18 year old kids playing in an over 30 tourney?

A while ago someone mentioned pulling a quad, and shortly thereafter I did exactly that during a game. Let me reiterate that you need to loving STAY OFF OF IT and don't try to "ease back into playing" when it starts hurting less than it used to. Wait until you don't feel any pain whatsoever when you stretch, run, sprint, kick, etc., and THEN ease back into playing. How long that takes depends on the individual of course but four weeks is probably a good start. I'm sure I added a week's worth of recovery time by trying to "take it easy" in a pickup game about a week ago. You can't do this. At some point you're going to cut, sprint, kick, jump, or make some other little move that you otherwise would never do during the rest of the day and you're going to exacerbate the situation. Just be patient.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Lazlow posted:

Why was a team of 18 year old kids playing in an over 30 tourney?

A while ago someone mentioned pulling a quad, and shortly thereafter I did exactly that during a game. Let me reiterate that you need to loving STAY OFF OF IT and don't try to "ease back into playing" when it starts hurting less than it used to. Wait until you don't feel any pain whatsoever when you stretch, run, sprint, kick, etc., and THEN ease back into playing. How long that takes depends on the individual of course but four weeks is probably a good start. I'm sure I added a week's worth of recovery time by trying to "take it easy" in a pickup game about a week ago. You can't do this. At some point you're going to cut, sprint, kick, jump, or make some other little move that you otherwise would never do during the rest of the day and you're going to exacerbate the situation. Just be patient.

they had two 45 year olds and 4 18 year olds so i guess the law of averages

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Can someone recommend me a good match quality size 5? I really want something really high quality, but I feel there is a lot of price gouging at the top end. I've currently been using 'FIFA Approved' as a guideline in my search, but is this really the best indicator of quality? Honestly, I don't mind spending a bit on a really good ball, but I'm trying to get the best quality to value ratio. Budget is basically anything under $100.

Current frontrunner is this Mitre for $35:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080XM8Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A2YLYLTN75J8LR

Can anyone do better than that?

Oh, and sorry if you've done ball recommendations in the thread already, big thread and all, just point me in the right direction.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Try eBay. That's where I usually buy my balls. You can sometimes get last seasons or more likely two seasons ago top end($150) balls for as low as $35. Generally they run in the $50-75 range and even then they're 50% off. I have a bag full of Nike balls I got that way and they seem to take a beating much better than cheaper balls.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've always liked Mitre footballs. There's a few nice Adidas ones too.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

HinderedUseless posted:

Can someone recommend me a good match quality size 5? I really want something really high quality, but I feel there is a lot of price gouging at the top end. I've currently been using 'FIFA Approved' as a guideline in my search, but is this really the best indicator of quality? Honestly, I don't mind spending a bit on a really good ball, but I'm trying to get the best quality to value ratio. Budget is basically anything under $100.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080XM8Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A2YLYLTN75J8LR

Oh, and sorry if you've done ball recommendations in the thread already, big thread and all, just point me in the right direction.

I picked up a Select Royale for my indoor team for about $33.

Reviews:
Avid Soccer
Football Fashion

Football Fashion posted:

Put a swoosh or three stripes on the Select Royale and its $60 pricetag would probably double. Not only is this one of the best balls that we’ve ever tried, it is also one of the best deals around. If your club has the funds, we highly recommend using it for your matchball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

HinderedUseless posted:

I went to Sports World the other day and saw a current champions league ball with a £20 sticker on it but it was in the bargain bin of £10 items. I took it to the desk and it priced up at £5. :hehe:

Quality ball though, played w/ it last week and everyone raved about it.