Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

moleman posted:

This includes Legion's Quest AND leaves of the terrible Blink mini-series? poo poo, I just dropped 77.93. Thanks!

Mine just arrived today from Amazon. It does have Legion's Quest, yeah...but, well, you should kind of already know what you're getting if you ordered an AoA omnibus: 90s' nostalgia, over the top dialogue and plot, big-shoulder pads, and lots of pouches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oddly enough, it *doesn't* include X-Universe and X-Men Chronicles, the latter of which I've never read.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Oddly enough, it *doesn't* include X-Universe and X-Men Chronicles, the latter of which I've never read.

I think both of those parts were omitted because they are currently rewriting a little of the AOA history and those issues would contradict the new stories.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
I bought a couple of the AoA paperback collections which a lot of people on the internet seemed upset at for being in a 'technically correct' chronological order rather than a 'more coherent and better to read' published storyline order.

What have they gone for in the omnibus? Also a bit sad to hear that they dropped stuff, I feel like the omnibus is when you should sling everything in.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jeremys Iron posted:

I bought a couple of the AoA paperback collections which a lot of people on the internet seemed upset at for being in a 'technically correct' chronological order rather than a 'more coherent and better to read' published storyline order.

As in the main story or the supplemental stuff? I didn't have a problem reading the main story line (though I hadn't kept up with the story when it originally came out), but spending almost the entire first volume on Blink, which assumes you know about AoA, felt like a huge misstep.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Jeremys Iron posted:

What have they gone for in the omnibus? Also a bit sad to hear that they dropped stuff, I feel like the omnibus is when you should sling everything in.

It's ordered to preserve the chronological flow of the main story: Legion's Quest comes first, followed by an issue of Cable, followed by X-Men Alpha, and then into the correctly ordered reading order of the AoA series that replaced the regular X-Men ongoings.

The paperbacks got a lot of flak for the first volume being completely unnecessary/put in the wrong place. It was one-shots and issues of Blink and X-Man (if I remember correctly) that, chronologically took place first in the AoA universe, but were completely tangential to the main storyline.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I noticed that. It's a shame because both are pretty good... or at least I thought so when I was 13.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
I am loving the MMW softcovers. Hulk arrived today, up to 38 volumes :D

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I think both of those parts were omitted because they are currently rewriting a little of the AOA history and those issues would contradict the new stories.
While that is probably the reason, it's a loving stupid one.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Rhyno posted:

jephyork posted:

First off -- here's the ultimate truth about the AoA event. *It's too big for one book*. And I'm not even talking about the sequels or spin-offs or follow-up material: the original 1995 event, just on its own, will not fit into one Omnibus. That's the hard truth we had to face down when we made this book. Something had to give.

We explored our options, took the book through a few different permutations -- and the route we ultimately decided to go was to remove the material that would best fit in a companion book, should a companion book be greenlit.

Right now, the Omnibus contains the main spine of the AoA event: the original "Legion Quest" event that created the AoA to begin with -- the Alpha one-shot and eight miniseries that ran in place of the eight monthly X-books -- and the conclusion in X-Men Omega. (When the dust settled we were able to include the sourcebook and ashcan edition as well, but nothing more.)

What's missing from the original 1995 event? The "red skies" tie-ins. The stuff that didn't affect the main story. The 2-issue X-Universe mini, which answered the question "so what are all the non-mutant heroes doing?" (Answer, nothing much.) And the 2-issue "X-Men Chronicles" mini, which filled in backstory that was nice to know, but not vital by any means. (And pretty much all of it is explained in dialogue in the main miniseries anyway.) Let's face it -- you do not need to read any of these issues to understand or enjoy the main AoA event.

Frankly, after the decision was made, I realized that taking those issues out actually helped the main story flow better! Let's be honest, the AoA is a slow-moving read. You get eight chapter 1s in a row, then eight chapter 2s, and so on and so on. It takes a long time to get anywhere in this story, and dropping in four more "meanwhile" issues (all of which are double-length, mind you!) brings *the eight more important plotlines* to a screeching halt.

And I said this before a few months back -- but when the AoA event was originally published, readers didn't finish "Legion Quest", read the backstory in X-Chronicles #1-2, then pick up X-Men Alpha. That wasn't the original reading order. Immediately following Xavier's shocking death, readers were thrown straight into the deep end of the AoA with Alpha -- full of confusing references, unfamiliar status quos and strangely changed characters. Part of the fun of the story was figuring out what happened on your own. And that's the experience you're going to get from this Omnibus as well! It's still a lumbering beast of a story, but the fat has been cut and the action's been pared down to the essentials.

I won't give any cryptic hints either way on the current odds of a companion book -- mainly because Marvel's internal schedule is always subject to change, and I can't predict the future with 100% certainty. But I will say that a companion HC has been my plan all along -- and that's the solution I'm pushing for to collect the rest of the event.

If/when this plan of mine comes to fruition, we'll have one Omnibus that collects the main event, the essential action of the story -- then a second Omnibus that collects the ancillary, non-vital stuff: the prequels (including X-Men Chronicles #1-2, which are set in the past anyway), the unimportant stuff that occured during the main event (X-Universe and its follow-up in Hulk: Broken Worlds #2), and then all the sequels. Which would then dovetail right into the "Uncanny X-Force" AoA storyline, and the ongoing AoA series that's launching soon. A cool read if you're interested in the bigger picture of the AoA universe.

Anyway, there you go: that was the thought process behind excluding what we did. Something simply had to go to make the book viable -- so we removed the stuff that (a) was least important, and (b) would mesh best with a potential collection of the later AoA material.

I really truly don't think you'll miss any of it when reading this Omnibus.

Oh, and you asked about X-Factor #108-109. Well -- frankly, they're not really part of the Legion Quest storyline. Yes, #109 says "Legion Quest" on the cover, but let's be honest, they stuck that slug on there to raise sales. In X-Factor #108-109, Legion awakens from his coma. That's all you need to know. It's not vital, and including the issues would have detracted from our mission to "cut the fat" from the storyline.

Same with X-Men #38-39 and Uncanny #319, which were also in the "AoA Prologue" TPB -- all they add to the story is "Professor X senses Legion", which can be established on a recap page. Frankly, the real point of the AoA Prologue TPB was just to bridge the gap between the Generation X Classic vol. 1 TPB (which ended with X-Men #37 and Uncanny #318) and the AoA event.

I won't begrudge anybody for being annoyed that the Omni doesn't collect every single issue. Everybody's got their own individual preferences for how they want things collected, and I knew going in that I could never please all of you. But I stand by my belief that the Omnibus is, in general, a much superior package than the 4-TPB set. (Or, technically, superior to TPBs vol. 2-4, which is what it more or less replaces -- the Omnibus doesn't overlap with AoA TPB vol. 1 at all.)

The trades have several flaws:

- some issues in the wrong order. (Notably, Apocalypse assaults the X-Mansion and captures Magneto, then in a "later" issue, discovers that Magneto was hiding there.)

- some missing pages (and missing *panels* too, believe it or not).

- many many many word balloons with missing or altered dialogue.

- some issues (X-Men Alpha, Astonishing X-Men #2, etc) that are obviously scanned from printed comics.

- a few pages with reversed colors (like the old color-plate swap errors we used to get in the 1980s, where red becomes yellow for one page).

- several #1 issues that accidentally use the faded-background 2nd print cover instead of the original cover.

- extremely washed-out color in the entirety of Generation Next #1-4.

- and a phenomenon that I call "scan doubling" on a lot of pages -- where you can visibly see a seam across the page, as if two half-page scans were stitched together poorly.

The Omnibus fixes all of these issues: we dug out the original film for Generation Next and the scanned issues, touched up all the word balloons, sorted out the covers, got rid of the scan doubling, and gave the book a vastly improved reading order to boot -- the continuity hiccups have been fixed, and the events flow much more naturally across all eight minis.

You'll like it. I think you'll like it better than the trades. And a potential companion book would get the same loving care. (Did you know that all the pin-ups from X-Men Chronicles #2 were skipped in the TPB?) But again, I can't give any cryptic hints either way about that.

Many moons ago, I asked you guys to trust me. Well, now you know my plan. It may not be everyone's ideal solution, but that's cool. Just understand that it's the best that I could do, given the limitations, restraints and realities of book publishing.

I love what I do, and I appreciate the opportunity to make books that you guys are so passionate about.

Let the critiques fly!

-Jeph!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I wish I could have given that post to young ^burtle who got all 4 volumes in trade back in 2007.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i wish it was true, because the Thor omni is still bigger.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

And is impossible to read comfortably.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Glenn Danzig posted:

WORDS!

Yeah, that's amazing that they actually put so much thought into this product. Well worth the money. Also, it will be a cold day in hell before I buy anything that contained the second AOA mini in it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

^burtle posted:

And is impossible to read comfortably.
I read it on my bed. No problems at all.

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

Angry pumpkin, Japanese demon, dragon of avarice...
Just got Justice League Archives Vol. 10 today from Amazon. I didn't realize how many Justice League issues are not reprinted. I also didn't realize that Justice League went till 261 and Vol. 10 covers 81-92.

phelps
Mar 28, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

i wish it was true, because the Thor omni is still bigger.

Just by 120 pages, apparently. Mr. York there isn't hyping the AoA for being the biggest possible Omnibus (they did something like that for The Dark Tower, which wasn't true if I remember the page counts right). I don't know anything about this material or what constitutes its "core reading", but the presented idea is there wasn't anything else that wouldn't have "best fit in a companion book" by his own words.

And it's too bad about that Batman Year One Deluxe being flawed, it was one of my most anticipated 2012 collections.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was in a physical Barnes and Noble and I saw they had copies of the Kiss Kompendium on their discount shelves for $25. While that's a good price for 1200 pages of comics I don't care about Kiss so I let it go by. If you're interested though you should check your local store.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Endless Mike posted:

I read it on my bed. No problems at all.

I rest my case.

(lol)

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Ogmios posted:

Just got Justice League Archives Vol. 10 today from Amazon. I didn't realize how many Justice League issues are not reprinted. I also didn't realize that Justice League went till 261 and Vol. 10 covers 81-92.

<3 DC Archives

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

Angry pumpkin, Japanese demon, dragon of avarice...
Ooh, I just picked up a perfect copy of Dynamite Art of Alex Ross at my local used book store "Black and Read" for $19.99 and it is pure bliss.

I haven't read a lot of Dynamite, so the characters were really new to me, it was cool seeing these beautiful representations without my prior expectations for these characters or scenes.

A must for any Alex Ross fan!

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I found a New Avengers Omnibus vol. 1 while fishing on Amazon, it's supposed to be 1208 pages. Is this new?

Meanwhile, there's still no OSHC announced for the Heroic Age stuff, except for one that collects the first 6 issues of the new Avengers and New Avengers series. And which will probably overlap with other OSHCs/Omnis down the road...

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

PelvicNerve posted:

I found a New Avengers Omnibus vol. 1 while fishing on Amazon, it's supposed to be 1208 pages. Is this new?

Meanwhile, there's still no OSHC announced for the Heroic Age stuff, except for one that collects the first 6 issues of the new Avengers and New Avengers series. And which will probably overlap with other OSHCs/Omnis down the road...

That is new, thanks.

Now I don't need either of of the upcoming Omnibu in next months previews, nice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just got this in the mail. Excited to read early Warlock stories!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 13, 2012

Corwin72
Sep 19, 2004

Kill the Flatscans
Pillbug
Has there been any word of a Hickman Fantastic Four Omnibus or something collected after his run is finished? I remember that there was something on amazon but that was over a year ago and it was never released.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Corwin72 posted:

Has there been any word of a Hickman Fantastic Four Omnibus or something collected after his run is finished? I remember that there was something on amazon but that was over a year ago and it was never released.

Nothing formally solicited yet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

wildlele posted:

Nothing formally solicited yet.

What about rumors? Feed us rumors!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Today I scored the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol 1 for $50.

:hellyeah:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Hippo posted:

It is a great book and also good in case your house gets broken into.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Hippo posted:

Good snatch! It was supposed to be reprinted for the release of the new film but I think they gave up on that idea.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I've read a few reviews of IDW's TMNT Ultimate Collection vol. 1 that mention some low-res, pixelated panels, as well as some dodgy new lettering. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"

Hatter106 posted:

I've read a few reviews of IDW's TMNT Ultimate Collection vol. 1 that mention some low-res, pixelated panels, as well as some dodgy new lettering. Can anyone confirm/deny?
I just bought it but haven't read it yet - if I see anything that's amiss I'll give you a shout.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Apparently Quitely has his comped copies of Flex Mentallo, so it's only a matter of time for the rest of us.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bairfanx posted:

Apparently Quitely has his comped copies of Flex Mentallo, so it's only a matter of time for the rest of us.

No see, they have to reprint the dust jacket. And then they'll find an upside down page so every copy will have to be pulped.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's never going to come out, is it? It's just a neverending starred email in my inbox.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
When is it actually solicited to come out?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Starsnostars posted:

When is it actually solicited to come out?

This link says eight days:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Flex-Mentallo-Man-Muscle-Mystery-Grant-Morrison/9780857688880

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Amazon has changed the delivery date on me eight times already.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just like that girl at work I keep trying to ask out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

^burtle posted:

Just like that girl at work I keep trying to ask out.
Look, I can believe you asking a girl out, but don't insult her by pretending you knocked her up.