Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Bucephalus posted:

Question for the carburetor gurus: Keihins (VB53s? I forget) on an '85 GL1200. When I spray carb cleaner into the main jet, some comes out of the tube with the ball staked in the end (circled below in yellow). Should I try to seal them up with a dab of JB Weld/solder/whatever, or is it a non-issue?

I'm no good at ancient Keihin CV design, but I'm almost willing to bet that this is the "accelerator pump" nozzle. Ball should be able to open if I'm right.

/Edit for correct Keihin therm. Not a "real" accelerator pump.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In the world of ancient keihins, thats just a breather.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Need help identifying a bulb for my HID's. The mounting tabs on one of them broke and need to be replaced ASAP.

They're bulbs that already have pre-built wires into them. They came from a kit using Hella modules and CQ Lighting ballasts, but they're no longer in business and I have no idea who would stock these :smith:

I've never seen tabs like that before.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Olde Weird Tip posted:

In the world of ancient keihins, thats just a breather.

Not really, more like "low turbulence feeder".

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xovaan posted:

Need help identifying a bulb for my HID's. The mounting tabs on one of them broke and need to be replaced ASAP.

I've never seen tabs like that before.

Why not just look up what bulb your bike uses.. that will tell you the type, right? Or are they some weird ones due to the aftermarket front end?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's Z3n's old aftermarket bodykit with aftermarket HID's and modules. The company that produces the ballasts went out of business years ago and I am at a loss as to what I should be putting in there.

Upon further research, it seems to share the connector with an H8/H9/H11 bulb design, but I unfortunately have no idea what the differences are between these types.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xovaan posted:

It's Z3n's old aftermarket bodykit with aftermarket HID's and modules. The company that produces the ballasts went out of business years ago and I am at a loss as to what I should be putting in there.

Upon further research, it seems to share the connector with an H8/H9/H11 bulb design, but I unfortunately have no idea what the differences are between these types.

Bring it to autozone/pepboys and compare with the halogens they have there?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Bring it to autozone/pepboys and compare with the halogens they have there?

Good idea! I'll do that now. I had a brain fart and realized I'm only looking for the housing type; I can order the correct bulb online when I find out what I need.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xovaan posted:

Good idea! I'll do that now. I had a brain fart and realized I'm only looking for the housing type; I can order the correct bulb online when I find out what I need.

Yup :)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Are there any manufacturers offering particularly good financing deals right now?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Suzuki is offering 0% for 60 months and $1000 cash back on certain models.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

clutchpuck posted:

Suzuki is offering 0% for 60 months and $1000 cash back on certain models.

Only if your credit is over 9000 though....

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Only if your credit is over 9000 though....

Really? drat. I have a single negative thing on my credit but I'm sure it'd be enough to kick me off of "prime financing".

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ducati is offering 2.99% w/ 0 down for 60 months on new 2011 Multistrada 1200s, typically 720+ to qualify.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Radbot posted:

Really? drat. I have a single negative thing on my credit but I'm sure it'd be enough to kick me off of "prime financing".

I honestly don't know, mine is like 508 or some poo poo....

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
OK, well, new bikes off the table for now...

I was an idiot and store my 2006 V-Strom 1000 for the winter without winterizing it. It was kept at near-indoor temperatures the entire time, and it's been about six months. Considering the V-Strom is fuel injected, should I try to start it (the battery was kept charged), or will I gently caress poo poo up royally (possibly)?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's a suzuki SV engine.

Just start it and ride it like nothing happened. Put fresh gas in it if it's not full ASAP. Maybe some sea foam for good measure.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Spiffness posted:

It's a suzuki SV engine.

Just start it and ride it like nothing happened. Put fresh gas in it if it's not full ASAP. Maybe some sea foam for good measure.

Oooh, Sea Foam. Forgot about that one. Alright, well I'm off to make sure the tank is full, and possibly release a huge cloud of foamy white smoke while I'm at it. Wish me luck.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

What is sea foam? I'm assuming its not actual foam from the ocean. What's its purpose?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Shimrod posted:

What is sea foam? I'm assuming its not actual foam from the ocean. What's its purpose?

It's a fuel cleaner, you put a specific amount per gallon in and ride the piss out of your bike. It will break up any gunk left by ethanol and gas.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Shimrod posted:

Its a fuel stabilizer with a bunch of detergents in it. Good for de varnishing fuel system components after they been sitting for months. Or in the oil to clean out engine funk for a few days before you change the oil. Good stuff. I added it to my gummed up dt175's fuel and it did a great job.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

New rider questions here:

I just bought a 09 ninja 250, now to put it in first gear I have to be completely stopped right? Or can I put it in first even if I was riding along?

Also, what is this hose here?

I think it's neutral that you can't hit while moving.
I'm not sure about that hose but my two guesses would be carb overflow tube (which I don't think you have) or a battery vent tube.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think it's neutral that you can't hit while moving.
I'm not sure about that hose but my two guesses would be carb overflow tube (which I don't think you have) or a battery vent tube.

I can hit neutral while moving...:negative:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My Honda's manual (78 400T) says that it's best to put it into neutral whilst still moving, as it can be tricky to put it into neutral when stopped.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Yeah, nuetral is kind of hard to hit if you're not moving/not blipping the throttle on my bike.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I still sometimes accidentally shift into neutral while accelerating from a stop. :saddowns:

At least it's not nearly as bad now that I have a bolt clamping down my shift linkage

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I know I can hit Neutral on my '91 ZZR250 while moving, but it's easy as piss when stopped.

I know I can hit it while moving because I did just that at a Traffic light as I took off and went to go into second.

"THE gently caress AREN'T YOU MOVING OH GOD PLEASE DON'T RUN INTO THE BACK OF ME"

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Shimrod posted:

I guess you live in Europe.

Seafoam is just an American brand for what we have known as RedeX for a fistful of decades.

It's just a short-time fuel stabilization product with some ability to dissolve carbon build-up.

Works quite well for cleaning out old combustion chambers, valves and in the case of 2-strokes the crankcase. Also somewhat cleans out dinosaur-based gunk in the fuel lines and carburetors/injectors.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Shimrod's profile says Australia. I guess it's called something different there as well.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ola posted:

Shimrod's profile says Australia. I guess it's called something different there as well.

Yep, Australian over here.

So it's just one of those engine cleaners you can put in your fuel tank when you fill up and it gives the engine a cleaning?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yes. There's (probably) a zillion brands of fuel system cleaners in the US, but everyone talks about Seafoam. I've been trying to figure out under which name that exact formula is sold, Cornelius do you know if that's the case with Redex or is Redex just one of the many brands?

I always thought Redex was an image placeholder in your browser.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
A quick Googling of "Seafoam Australia" suggests Red Line SI-1.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ola posted:

Cornelius do you know if that's the case with Redex or is Redex just one of the many brands?

Redex is just one of many brands with almost the exact formula of Seafoam.

There are other brands that come close.

Fun fact is that almost the exact same product is called "injection cleaner" and sold in other bottles for 10 times the price of Redex in Europe.

STP "Injection Trim" is in fact almost exactly the same product as mint Redex.

Redex has learned the marketing trick by now, and are currently selling their product in about 20 different bottles at 20 different prices per milliliter. Content of those bottles are ridiculously close. Well viscosity might differ a bit between fuel stabilizer and injection trim, but you'll have to be a professor in organic chemistry to find that even mildly interesting.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 10, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah. While I'm sure that stuff can do some good against gunk, it is the same to men as detoxing jasmine tea is to women. It first and foremost feels good to use.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ola posted:

Yeah. While I'm sure that stuff can do some good against gunk, it is the same to men as detoxing jasmine tea is to women. It first and foremost feels good to use.

My woman tells me that jasmine tea tastes worse than hell. Should I Seafoam her?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think the accepted consensus that the closest thing in the EU to seafoams mystery blend of herbs and spices was Subaru upper engine cleaner, which I have never been able to lay my hands on either.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

According to the Sea Foam MSDS:

code:
Pale Oil     40.00 - 60.00 %
Naphtha      25.00 - 35.00 %
IPA          10.00 - 20.00 %
Pale Oil is naphthenic oil, but I have no idea where to buy that in bulk. IPA = isopropyl alcohol, not the beer. You should be able to mix up something similar pretty easily though.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Pale Oil is naphthenic oil, but I have no idea where to buy that in bulk. IPA = isopropyl alcohol, not the beer. You should be able to mix up something similar pretty easily though.

http://trade.indiamart.com/details.mp?offer=2789574755

Now all you need is some fancy bottles and a marketing department.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

My mechanic gives the Panda a shot of Redex once a year when it's in for a checkup. It's a $5 item on the bill, I can live with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

My mechanic gives the Panda a shot of Redex once a year when it's in for a checkup. It's a $5 item on the bill, I can live with that.

I doubt it'll do much good in a small high compression diesel like yours.

OK, I'll provide the world my honest opinion about Redex, Seafoam, STP cleaners and comparable products.

It's not exactly snake oil. It works. It's pretty good at cleaning carburetors while driving. Might be good at cleaning injectors too. Empiric data is harder to achieve here.

My experience is about 3 and a half decade using those products on things like Kriedler, Suzuki, Yamaha and Puch 50cc 2-stroke moped engines, Honda CBX and CB, Suzuki GS and GSX, Yamaha XT and XS, Kawasaki GPZ and Z 4-stroke bike engines 450-1200cc, Yamaha RD and TZ series, Kawasaki KH and Suzuki GT 2-strokes 175-850cc.

Diverse cars I've validated the effect from includes Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV, Volvo B18/20/21/30 series, Opel GT, Mantra GT/E, Vectra, Astra, Fiat Marea HLX 5cyl, Citroen Zantia and 2CW, Renault 5 Turbo, VW golf III and VI 4 and 6 cyl. 4 cyl Diesel Jetta and Peugeot 406 TS6 3.0.

That's about (probably forgot quite a few) the vehicles I've happened to have a solid view at valvetrains, crankcases, carburetors, combustion chambers etc. both before and after Seafoam/STP wisardry/Redex cure.

My conclusion is that it works pretty well for your fuel line. Primarily carburetors really likes it. It won't magically clean your valve-train, but it kind of cleans your combustion chamber. Kind of. Not a real replacement for a bronze brush.

My private and subjective conclusion is, that it isn't snake oil, but it's also far from magic. Works best in carbureted 2-stroke engines - designed to burn some oil, and least observed effect in high compression diesels.

That's just my experience though.

Almost forgot. One prejudice I've heard more than once is "I can't use this poo poo in my old car/mc, since the valves only seals tight on decades of carbon build-up. This is of cause rubbish, but Seafoam/STP/Redex might expose and escalate some leaks at your valve guides. They were rotten anyway.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 11, 2012