Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll be putting some seafoam in the bandit today when I extract it from storage, since I can never seem to get away with storing it without the pilots getting a little clogged, no matter how much stabil I put in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I'll be putting some seafoam in the bandit today when I extract it from storage, since I can never seem to get away with storing it without the pilots getting a little clogged, no matter how much stabil I put in it

This is pure speculation, but I'm guessing Sta-bil is pretty much the same thing as Seafoam and Redex, although perhaps a slightly different mixture.

Sta-bil claims to aid in cleaning out the fuel system in addition to keeping gas fresh in the tank.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dutch/Euro-persons: This sign

doesn't include motorcycles right? Just bicycles and 50cc?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
Let's complicate things:

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 11, 2012

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

Dutch/Euro-persons: This sign

doesn't include motorcycles right? Just bicycles and 50cc?

You are correct.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sir Cornelius posted:

Let's complicate things:

If you ever find this sign, point at it and laugh.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KARMA! posted:

You are correct.

That's racist against bikes motorcycles.

Sir Cornelius posted:

Let's complicate things:

That's hilarious.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ola posted:

That's hilarious.

It's a really silly country.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not just restricted to forklifts, but pairs of forklifts.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

Not just restricted to forklifts, but pairs of forklifts.

Pairs of unmanned forklifts, no less.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Traveling with their forks more than 6"/15cm off the ground :eng99:

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TNfS-9uuNc

This color is awesome. It's really hard to find though.

I'm not seriously considering it yet, but what does it cost to repaint a bike at a good shop?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

CombatMedic posted:

I'm not seriously considering it yet, but what does it cost to repaint a bike at a good shop?

Crazily enough, I saw one of these outside the Harbor Freight I went to yesterday to grab some feeler gauges and a micrometer to check the valves on my bike. Looks absolutely amazing in person, so much so that even my wife commented on it.

Definitely a really kickass color, but I can't imagine it'd be cheap to get paint like that done well.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

CombatMedic posted:

Something to consider if the search for a good shop goes nowhere, which wouldn't surprise me. If it's the same HD bike, in some cases it can be more cost effective to wait for some take-off tins to hit the market. Lots of people upgrade to the factory custom stuff at time of purchase, so either the dealer or customer winds up with a stock set that eventually finds its way to market. Or you get the garage queen types that want to scrap something the minute a pebble hits it.

This way you can revert back to the originals whenever, or use the current set to offset the price of the new.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
So the perpetual myth from several local shops I've talked to is that any motorcycle tire you order offline is going to be incredibly old and dry rotted. Obviously this isn't always true and is just a way to drum up business but I'm curious if you guys have some anecdotal evidence for how old your tires are ordered offline.

I just got a pilot power online incredibly cheap and it was made 3/2011. This is totally acceptable to me - I'd love to hear from some of you guys about tire order dates / date of manufacture to get more of a feel for this rumor and its truth.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So my friend and I are wondering, will a 2004 GSXR600 motor fit in a 2006 frame?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

JP Money posted:

So the perpetual myth from several local shops I've talked to is that any motorcycle tire you order offline is going to be incredibly old and dry rotted. Obviously this isn't always true and is just a way to drum up business but I'm curious if you guys have some anecdotal evidence for how old your tires are ordered offline.

I just got a pilot power online incredibly cheap and it was made 3/2011. This is totally acceptable to me - I'd love to hear from some of you guys about tire order dates / date of manufacture to get more of a feel for this rumor and its truth.

I buy nearly all of my tires online, and I've never had issues. I can run down and check the tires that I've ordered lately tomorrow but I highly doubt any of them will be more than a year or 2 old. I've gotten 3 year old tires at shops before too...:buddy:

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So my friend and I are wondering, will a 2004 GSXR600 motor fit in a 2006 frame?

Nope. 06 is a different generation.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

JP Money posted:

July 2011 I bought a Kenda K761 (great tire, BTW) that shows a manufacture date of June 2011, and this was after shopping around for the absolute lowest price, and buying from the skeeziest online retailer to save :10bux:. I think your local place is just trying to instill fear into their customers of online stores. I did the exact same thing re: online glasses retailers for five solid years when I worked as a licensed optician for a local optometrist, for good (business) reason (it made us more money). It's a lovely, lovely thing to do, and I'm not proud, but I can count in the tens of thousands of dollars how much money it made us per year.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Yeah, that's bullshit. Online stores have way more traffic than B&M stores and thus they actually cycle through tires more quickly. If you're buying a (current model) tire for a sportbike, I'd say there is a 95% chance you're going to get one with a DOT number stamped within the past year or two regardless of where you buy it. I've changed plenty of tires that were ordered online and the only time I've seen anything sketchy was when some guy bought some tires from eBay for literally $20 that were made back in 2002 or 2004.

If you're ordering some obscure size for an uncommon bike it wouldn't hurt to email or call the company "hey, I'm interested in xx tire but only if it was made within the past couple of years, could you check on that for me?". It's not like they can pull out an 8 year old tire and forge the DOT number. The motorcycling industry is extremely customer service oriented so most places will be happy to go the extra mile for you (dealerships aside, since they make most of their money off bike servicing).

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 13, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A brick and mortar shop is far, far more likely to have old stuff lying around than a net retailer. The pro net guys don't even have stock, they drop ship straight from the distributor, so you're going to get the newest stuff out there. On the other hand, take a look at your B&M shop's gear selection and see how much is years old, - it's usually most obvious with helmets.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

While on the topic of Online vs B&M shops: The last Borders shop in my country just closed because of Amazon*

*but really, they shouldn't have had such comfy seats for people to read books at!

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
What's the best way to remove tar from bike plastics? I get a lot of little black dots/streaks of tar on my fairing and they are a pain to get out. Have seen some suggestions that WD40/kero is good for removing tar which would be fine for rims or metal but I'm a bit reluctant to use it on the fairings.

Pred1ct fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 13, 2012

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
WD40 works just fine on plastic and paint.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

There was a bit of tar on mine that we just scratched out with out fingers. I assume it's been there for years as it was a bit different colour when we looked underneath where the tar had been.

Should note you will need decent sized nails to do it, I couldn't get it with mine because I'd cut them, but a mate was able to get it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I've been meaning to try WD-40 on the sticky reflectors on the husky. I don't think I'm supposed to have them at the track since they're not unlike untaped lights when the sun hits them. Also they add weight.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Question about neutral switches..

Im prepping a new engine for my R6 and needed to swap some parts over from the old one. The the bullet connector on the neutral switch I took out of the old engine had got a bit bent. When I checked its continuity it was a short between the tip and the bullet connector and nothing else - it doesnt change or short to the body when you press the tip in. Ive just got a new one and its does the same, is it actually a sprung contact rather than a switch? My haynes manual doesnt mention how to test these bits, is this how they should be?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pred1ct posted:

What's the best way to remove tar from bike plastics? I get a lot of little black dots/streaks of tar on my fairing and they are a pain to get out. Have seen some suggestions that WD40/kero is good for removing tar which would be fine for rims or metal but I'm a bit reluctant to use it on the fairings.

Lighter fluid (zippo type stuff), they repackage it and mark it up as 'tar remover', it's very gentle on surface finishes.

Gnaghi posted:

I've been meaning to try WD-40 on the sticky reflectors on the husky. I don't think I'm supposed to have them at the track since they're not unlike untaped lights when the sun hits them. Also they add weight.

Also lighter fluid.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Pred1ct posted:

Goo Gone is worth a shot, and will be worth having around even if it doesn't solve this particular problem. After it removed some fossilized 40-year old masking tape residue, I was convinced it could take on any...goo. As with all chemicals, try it out on an inconspicuous area first to see if there are any unwanted side effects.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Lighter fluid (zippo type stuff), they repackage it and mark it up as 'tar remover', it's very gentle on surface finishes.

Also lighter fluid.

Lighter fluid is very similar to gasoline and probably not the best thing to use. As always I would recommend isopropyl alcohol which should be safe on (just about) anything.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

JP Money posted:

I think if you go with a popular model of tire, from a big tire reseller who turns their inventory, that's your best bet for newer tires.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

grunthaas posted:

Question about neutral switches..

Im prepping a new engine for my R6 and needed to swap some parts over from the old one. The the bullet connector on the neutral switch I took out of the old engine had got a bit bent. When I checked its continuity it was a short between the tip and the bullet connector and nothing else - it doesnt change or short to the body when you press the tip in. Ive just got a new one and its does the same, is it actually a sprung contact rather than a switch? My haynes manual doesnt mention how to test these bits, is this how they should be?

Did it work when you removed it? If so, it's probably good.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just an update: my '06 V-Strom 1000 started right up after a gallon of fresh gas and some Seafoam - seven months after it was stored with zero prep. drat I love this bike!

Kalev
Dec 8, 2006
So I'm approaching 1000 miles on my 883 sporty and was planning on doing the 1k maintenance myself. Don't suppose anyone has a decent guide or link to a guide that would spell out what exactly is done/needed beyond the blurb in the OM?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

As much as I love DIY, if I didn't have the shop manual I'd do the first service at the dealer. Who knows, they might spot some warranty issues or something.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Radbot posted:

Just an update: my '06 V-Strom 1000 started right up after a gallon of fresh gas and some Seafoam - seven months after it was stored with zero prep. drat I love this bike!

Alright. So I'm not the only who uses this winterization process. To wit: hey, looks like winter's here. Bye!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ola posted:

As much as I love DIY, if I didn't have the shop manual I'd do the first service at the dealer. Who knows, they might spot some warranty issues or something.

I agree with Ola and I tend to take my bikes in for their services. It's not because I can't do them but after working on one bike or car for a while you get lazy, it's the nature of the beast. I treat my bigger services as a chance to have another mechanic who's experienced look it over and let me know if there are any issues. That being said, I haven't taken a single vehicle in to the shop in my last 20k miles.

I guess I just got to lazy to go to the shop now that my garage is finally set up.

On a side note, my garage is pretty much set up now. If anyone is ever passing through the central coast and needs some work done you're welcome to come by and use my tools. Eventually I will have the equipment to do tire installs and possibly balancing.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Kalev posted:

So I'm approaching 1000 miles on my 883 sporty and was planning on doing the 1k maintenance myself. Don't suppose anyone has a decent guide or link to a guide that would spell out what exactly is done/needed beyond the blurb in the OM?

If it's been done, it's probably within the confines of xlforum.net.

HD might have changed their tune now that it's a buyer's market, but when I was frequenting this forum, the overwhelming majority of Sportster owners opted to do their own maintenance. It is fueled by three things:

1) A perception of second class citizenship at the dealership and within the HD community as a whole. Maybe that's a little dramatic. I guess it's more of a Senior/Freshman thing. I've witnessed it first-hand.

2) Sticker shock - consumers of these bikes openly question the need for a $300 glorified oil change. Call us crazy.

3) These folks just tend to be handy with a wrench. I don't know that a business case exists for dealership maintenance if you're not going to get a decent percentage of it back at resale time.

Here are a few links and vids @ HDForums. Caution: Boob-a-riffic avatars right ahead.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/246152-poor-mans-sportster-service-maintenance-guide.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have we ever done a riding game thread here? If not, we totally should

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is that like the crying game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

Is that like the crying game?

In CA? Probably.

Either way, I'm making one, as I dont think we have/had one.