Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

Geisladisk posted:

DAOC's biggest flaw back in the day was the absolutely excruciating grind to 50. For most players it was a project that took literally months. And it wasn't as if there was anything of any interest to do in that time, you were just literally grinding mob after mob after mob. Had they eased the leveling to what it is today at launch, the game would probably have been wildly successful - The PVP at 50 was loving awesome, but I had three or four real life friends try the game and give up at level 20 or something.

You know, call me oldschool, but I'm glad that DAoC had painful leveling in the beginning. Games should kick you in the junk until you're sterile, I think. There's too much hand-holding in games today.

That aside, I actually had a lot of fun XP grinding back then. I met a ton of fun people, most of whom ended up joining our guild and RvRing with us. Those that didn't were still great friends on the battlefield. Not to mention the laughs that we had from dirt-napping often.

Geisladisk posted:

Anyway, I dug up a old level 32 shadowblade I have, gonna try my hand at some stealther action. Are two handed PAs still awesome? Can anyone give me any spec tips?

To add to what others have said about it already, poisons are really the bread-and-butter for assassins now, so Envenom+LA for damage is probably your best bet.

Tsu posted:

Just started an Animist named Katapl. I don't know what's going on most of the time.

Neither do I, and I started playing shortly after release. :) Don't worry, though, you'll get used to it. Plus, those of us in the guild are more than happy to help when we're paying attention.

Squiggoth posted:

Going to bow out of the game. A few things made that decision for me, but mainly the whole "do I really want to pay for this" came up. If it ever goes F2P I'll be on it faster than ever, but until then, c'est la vie.

I have a 50 druid 50 mentalist account that I won't know what to do with...ahem....

Also, as a special treat, I'm giving away my original strategy guides from DAOC. One is the original guide, another is the updated guide w/ Darkness Falls info. The third is the Shrouded Isles guide, and the fourth is the Atlas. Of course these are old, and some are outdated, but it's more of a "cool thing to have".

If anyone's interested, all I need is money for shipping. I'm cleaning house for a move and I'd like to donate these to a current DAOC player.

Doh! Well, thanks for joining us for a little while, Squig! When you get the urge again, you know where to find us. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ggschmitty
Jan 26, 2006
calling all forest friends for a game of touch tail

girl u fabulous

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

We had a couple pretty drat good fights in the Labyrinth tonight at the same time as picking up the good one time drops. I had my first solid 8v8 fight that wasn't just one side stomping the other. One day I will be in a fight like that without running around like a headless chicken.

Oh, and schmitty:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Sorry goonbros, I remembered that I had a level 32 skald. Then I remember that Skalds kick rear end. He was level 50 a short while later. :( I'd like to play with you, but Hibernia is just so full of hibs.

Anyway, how essential are master levels? Do I care enough about them to grind glass for tens of hours? Will I get laughed out of groups for not being ML 10?

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 13, 2012

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Sorry goonbros, I remembered that I had a level 32 skald. Then I remember that Skalds kick rear end. He was level 50 a short while later. :( I'd like to play with you, but Hibernia is just so full of hibs.

Anyway, how essential are master levels? Do I care enough about them to grind glass for tens of hours? Will I get laughed out of groups for not being ML 10?

Well, since you're a Mid, don't bother with MLs. ;)

grass
Jun 10, 2008

by T. Mascis

Kazvall posted:

I think most of us have tried Uthgard, and have found the exp grind to be EXCRUCIATING. I stopped when I couldn't even PL my minst to 50, with a 46 cabalist(pygmies), in under 7 days played.

I think they might have done something to help this, I started a merc about 5 days ago, with playing about 5 hours a day he's now lvl 29. got into some good groups, but also spent some time soloing. This was my first character in DAOC in about 8 years so lots of wandering around trying to find quest npc's and such.

Im enjoying the hell out of it, I need some more Albion people to back me up in the BG's tho, the server is very unbalanced for realm wars.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

grass posted:

I think they might have done something to help this, I started a merc about 5 days ago, with playing about 5 hours a day he's now lvl 29. got into some good groups, but also spent some time soloing. This was my first character in DAOC in about 8 years so lots of wandering around trying to find quest npc's and such.

Im enjoying the hell out of it, I need some more Albion people to back me up in the BG's tho, the server is very unbalanced for realm wars.

That's great and all but in 25 hours of gameplay you could have 2 50s on live, or 3 if you got lucky with BG groups. 25 hours to get 29 levels (the easiest 29 levels by the way, you aren't going 21-50) is horrible.

And quests were not the way to go in old DAoC, if you're running around trying to do them, you're doing it wrong.

grass
Jun 10, 2008

by T. Mascis

Combo posted:

That's great and all but in 25 hours of gameplay you could have 2 50s on live, or 3 if you got lucky with BG groups. 25 hours to get 29 levels (the easiest 29 levels by the way, you aren't going 21-50) is horrible.

And quests were not the way to go in old DAoC, if you're running around trying to do them, you're doing it wrong.

I was never that big on just the end game content, I enjoy the lower level battle grounds and such. I feel alot of my enjoyment is done once I hit 50. Getting to hunt on Salis plains or doing tepoks again with a group was a great time.

The quests are the same as I remember them when I used to play on live long time ago, of course the newbie quests send you searching for npc's in Ludlow or Humberton. Would be kind of sad if there was no running around trying to figure it out, its part of the experience and how else would you get your first suit of armor?

I am enjoying it a lot.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I definitely understand, and do whatever you like, obviously, but I'd say to anyone that's played live recently, going back to classic type grinds is going to be hellish and boring.

If you enjoy playing battlegrounds its pretty easy to just turn xp off and hang around them for as long as you want. Hell, in Midgard there's a bonedancer in the 20-24 battleground with the Lone Enforcer title (2000 solo kills). There are plenty of people at all levels, and if you don't want to do those, the PvE quests from 1-30 (or 35?) are probably more quest content than DAoC originally had anyway.

I got my first suits of armor in daoc by grinding mobs and doing one time drop quests.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Uthgard can be fun. Especially if you are a die-hard old frontiers fanboy. I would say daoc live is too awesome to ignore, though. No matter what level you're at, there is action. You can get 50 insanely fast, and be right in the big boy RvR, and in a competent guild group. 3000 people at prime is nuts.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
A friend (who is a die-hard OF fanboy) and I last night had a discussion on the merits and drawbacks of everything since SI and it ended with him telling me that he has the box for ToA in storage and, if I were so inclined, he would give it to me so I could marry it.

People playing Uthgard are going to play Uthgard.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

A friend (who is a die-hard OF fanboy) and I last night had a discussion on the merits and drawbacks of everything since SI and it ended with him telling me that he has the box for ToA in storage and, if I were so inclined, he would give it to me so I could marry it.

People playing Uthgard are going to play Uthgard.

The funny thing is that I'm a pretty die-hard OF fanboy, but I enjoy much of the ToA and later content. I'd like to see a refresh of the frontiers to make things interesting, and hopefully bring back some elements of OF that many of us miss.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

What are some of the good guild on mid and how would I go about approaching them? It seems that finding a group for RvR as a guildless 50 is impossible.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I am told you have to be quick about removing helm/weapons/hood if you wish to galavant with the mighty warriors of midgard.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

What are some of the good guild on mid and how would I go about approaching them? It seems that finding a group for RvR as a guildless 50 is impossible.

I'll give you my nice, biased opinion from the short time I played mid before I switched over to hib:

Odyssey - huge guild, huge alliance. They have monthly guild meetings and monthly alliance meetings, mandatory attendance, and yes you have to remove your weapons and helmet and sit down in the basement of the guild house while the GM stands in the middle and talks to everyone (over ventrilo).

They zerg everywhere but spend most of their time in Laby.

That all said, they're extremely nice, and helpful, and inclusive, so the guild meeting weirdness aside if you're just starting out they're great to join.

Barbarian Tendencies - Known elsewhere as Biggtyme's group, they're part of the Odyssey alliance and will join the zerg at times, or go their own separate way with their own zerg. Also spend a huge majority of their time in Laby.

MidKnight - Also part of the Odyssey alliance, have never seen them NOT in Laby. I thought they ran an 8 man and were a bit more elitist/picky but they also apparently just run a Laby zerg and latch on to Odyssey sometimes.

Einherjar's Vengeance - Another Odyssey alliance guild, runs their own stuff or hops in the zerg.

I Hate People - Nice enough, not a lot of people on at the times I was playing so I left quick, but they do stuff together and try to run smallman(ish) guild groups. Were in their own alliance with a few other small guilds that mostly did nothing from what I remember.

The Scarlet Knights - Separate but also big alliance, runs a zerg as well but at least does it in frontiers. They're usually the owners of the nightly public battlegroup that anyone can hop in and sidecar with their zerg or try to find a group (I had no problem finding a group as an unguilded runemaster).

That's about all I know, there are some other guilds I can't think of right now but most of them are just small groups that run whatever they have online and float/orbit around the TSK zerg depending on how many albs are out.

Combo fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 14, 2012

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ohh I forgot about Bigtyme. I think I used to roll with him on Gareth. Is he a big green troll with a smoker's voice?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

CopperHound posted:

Ohh I forgot about Bigtyme. I think I used to roll with him on Gareth. Is he a big green troll with a smoker's voice?

Big blue troll skald but yes. He runs Barbarian Tendencies, and is the regular 3 group laby zerg

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a really good template for a Champ? Cost doesn't really matter. I saw some on daoctemplates but they all seem like they could be a bit better.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Anyone know what the lab model harp is called? I think Angrymusic uses it.

Abluecollargeek
Mar 8, 2012
I just started playing again a bit and I can't believe how many active people there are. I came back for a few months last year also and it was busy but I don't think as busy as it is now. The new bg leveling system and bounty gear is great.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

madpanda posted:

Anyone know what the lab model harp is called? I think Angrymusic uses it.

I, uhh, use the Molvik harp. At 50. :(

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

It's pretty sweet that this game now has a goon presence. I find myself coming back every now and then but I never stick around because I can't convince anybody I know to play with me. I have played Mid and Alb extensively so I may hop on and check out some Hib.

On the subject of housing, I know I can get back my vault items, but what about the things inside the house (bind stone, merchants, vaults)? Will I need to repurchase those, or can I get them back? Also, will I need to buy a new house deed?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

You have to re-buy the house, lot, porch, merchant, vault, bind stone, etc. All that is repossessed when you don't pay your rent for too long. The vault merchants are just there so that you don't completely lose whatever you had in there.

Also, had a really nice RvR run tonight, we hit both NF and Laby, had a couple of massive fights with a Laby zerg and killed them like 3 times. Overall ended up at like 48k RPs, and I hit rr4 (and almost 4L1).

Fun to kill my old mid guild :woop: And to exploit what I always yelled at them about but they still do.

Combo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 16, 2012

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!
So how long does it take now to get to level 50 now? Based off of reading this thread, it seems most people level up in the BGs? Does anyone do regular PvE anymore? Do people go to DF? Also how many players are online in the main server during peak time? I used to play maybe ~9-10 years ago (holy poo poo) on Tristan. For some reason, I'm really nostalgic about DAOC and I'm considering picking it up again this summer. Nothing like doing relic raids with hundreds of people on dial-up.

I wish I had access to my old account though. I had a level 50 Hero, Eld, Bard, and NS. I think I sold my account for 50 bucks after New Frontiers came out to a high school friend.

Edit: Also if you guys have screenshots from a long time ago, please post them.

ilovemyducks fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 16, 2012

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Echo_ posted:

So how long does it take now to get to level 50 now? Based off of reading this thread, it seems most people level up in the BGs? Does anyone do regular PvE anymore? Do people go to DF? Also how many players are online in the main server during peak time? I used to play maybe ~9-10 years ago (holy poo poo) on Tristan. For some reason, I'm really nostalgic about DAOC and I'm considering picking it up again this summer. Nothing like doing relic raids with hundreds of people on dial-up.

I had 12 hours played at level 50. 1-10 in the new newbie zone, 11-45 doing battleground quests (PvE quests in the BGs, not actual PVP), 45-50 doing glass quests in Aerus.

It's definitely worth picking up again. I picked it up out of sheer nostalgia a couple of weeks back, and I haven't had this much fun in a MMO in years. They basically trivialized all the non-fun bits of the game.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Echo_ posted:

Like Geisladisk said, not long at all. I've taken 3 characters to 50 on hib now, all in around 14 hours /played.

The best leveling is repeatable quests in the BGs. People do some regular PvE but if you mean just straight out grinding, not really.

People still go to DF, a group of 4 of us went and took down one of the High Lords for the hell of it just the other day. Its not insanely packed like it used to be, mostly stealthers now I'd assume.

As far as the amount of players, there are tons. All the servers are linked, and all the Europeans are here now as well, so there are two different prime times (US and Euro) and people on at all hours of the day doing crap.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I love exploring the SI dungeons, but I only really played Mid so only have experience of Iarn, Troll and TG.

Is anyone up for doing Tur Suil, Fomor or Galladoria this weekend? Just for shits n' giggles.

Dud180
Dec 30, 2006
I don't know if I've missed one somewhere in this thread, I read back through and didnt find anything, has anyone got a decent (+ cheap!) warden template that I could steal?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dud180 posted:

I don't know if I've missed one somewhere in this thread, I read back through and didnt find anything, has anyone got a decent (+ cheap!) warden template that I could steal?

What kinda warden?

Dud180
Dec 30, 2006
Primarily melee, I'd rather avoid healing as much as possible.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Shitballs, I forgot to save my template. If you want I have a melee warden temp, which is weaponless. Requires you to get a couple summoners hall items, and the galladoria chestpiece, though.

ParadoxEngima
Mar 16, 2012
You know that DAOC wasn't Mythic's first 3-way PVP, they had an pretty good MUD/MUX called Darkness Falls: The Crusade, this was also amazing and took years for it to be killed off, but I but I am the only person that remember this game tho.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

They had Spellbinder the 3D FPS that came out a bit before DAOC and a sequel to their game Magestorm. Although I think Magestorm stayed more popular than it, but both were really cool. Also Splatterball their paintball game was fairly popular. Mythic is a great company, I wish they had the funding to make another game.

Here's Magestorm, notice the 3 team colors!

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 16, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also the dodecahedron shield spell effect.

ParadoxEngima
Mar 16, 2012

Opinionated posted:

They had Spellbinder the 3D FPS that came out a bit before DAOC and a sequel to their game Magestorm. Although I think Magestorm stayed more popular than it, but both were really cool. Also Splatterball their paintball game was fairly popular. Mythic is a great company, I wish they had the funding to make another game.

Here's Magestorm, notice the 3 team colors!

From what I remember it , Mage Storm was After Darkness Falls... But yea you must of been a Gamestorm player?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Also the dodecahedron shield spell effect.

Yeah they really love that thing. Four of us were doing hulks/knights/whatever in DF and someone kept having a huge one of them go off on the mob periodically and nobody knew who's effect it was, it was huge though.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Combo posted:

Yeah they really love that thing. Four of us were doing hulks/knights/whatever in DF and someone kept having a huge one of them go off on the mob periodically and nobody knew who's effect it was, it was huge though.

If it was blue that is the battlemaster styles damage proc going off.

Back before SI I leveled up a theurg or something just to see those shield spell effects, so baller.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I used to think they looked really awesome and advanced until I started 3d modelling and realised they are basically a sphere with less sides.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

To be fair, when we first thought the spell effects looked awesome we had only previously seen sprite effects or particle effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

madpanda posted:

If it was blue that is the battlemaster styles damage proc going off.

Back before SI I leveled up a theurg or something just to see those shield spell effects, so baller.

Oh god, it was my fault after all.

• Locked thread