Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heath posted:

There's a lot of divisiveness about it, but it's probably the best version of the game if you're lacking nostalgia for the original. It's pretty much a proto-RPG in terms of story, but it's very charming with good music and a fun battle system. It also looks great, as the PSP version was a total overhaul.

Gotta agree here. I stopped playing the moment Ghaleon opened his mouth, but it seemed like an alright game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Eggn0g posted:

Has anyone played Lunar: Silver Star Harmony on PSP? Is it any good? It's pretty cheap on PSN so I was thinking of getting it, but I never played the original or any other game in the series so I'm still thinking about it.

If you've never played a Lunar game before it's worth it. It's pretty much straight up basic 16-bit RPG comfort food in mechanics and story, but it layers on a ton of charm. Cheesy as hell, but I've always had a soft spot for it. Now if they'd just remake Lunar 2 as well...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Lunar:SSH is a great game like everyone has said. Although don't go in expecting...any difficulty.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

We all knew this was coming but now it's official: Xseed is coming to Steam! Ys: Oath in Felghana is coming on the 19th and Ys Origin is coming . . . later.

I hope this does well so that they can bring over even more games (please finish Trails in the Sky SC guys please please).

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Now that it's official, is there any advantage to playing Oath on PC versus PSP? Does the portability of the Vita edge out, or is the game better suited on a big screen with controller support (I'm assuming)? Does the PC version have better graphics/audio or additional content over the PSP version, or vice-versa?

Same question for TitS, in case they decide to port that as well. Also, there's supposed to be an iOS version that adds even more content?

Primoman fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 13, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

Gotta agree here. I stopped playing the moment Ghaleon opened his mouth, but it seemed like an alright game.

I think we can agree that not everyone can be John Truitt.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

It'll probably be up to preference. I haven't played any Ys games on PC or console but the PSP ports have been very good. However I can see them being a bit more comfortable on a big screen and with a real controller (assuming it's supported, can't imagine that it won't be though). Except for Seven they have all originated on non-portables so it isn't like they were designed to be portable either.

As for TitS, I think it's great on a portable. You can save whenever you want and it's fun to bring on trips and just sink into for awhile.

I don't know much about the iOS port except that Xseed has nothing to do with it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The PC version of Oath can be run at a higher resolution (I think?) and at the very least doesn't have any voice acting (which the PSP version apparently had and was very bad?).

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Nate RFB posted:

The PC version of Oath can be run at a higher resolution (I think?) and at the very least doesn't have any voice acting (which the PSP version apparently had and was very bad?).

That's true. From what I read on the Xseed forums, you will have some choice in resolution although you won't be able to play in true widescreen most likely.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've been playing PC Oath recently and from reading about online, it sounds like the PSP version has a few little things added such as being able to lower the boss difficulty if you die too many times. I think there's barely a difference though

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Any good modern PC RPGs I should be aware of besides The Witcher 2?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Kevlar Beard posted:

Any good modern PC RPGs I should be aware of besides The Witcher 2?

What's your definition of "modern"?

Obviously from just a few posts above, Ys Oath In Felghana is coming out on Monday.

There's also The Legend of Grimrock coming out next month which looks like it will be awesome for Dungeon Master fans.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Modern as in this gen, as in console quality.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Primoman posted:

Now that it's official, is there any advantage to playing Oath on PC versus PSP? Does the portability of the Vita edge out, or is the game better suited on a big screen with controller support (I'm assuming)? Does the PC version have better graphics/audio or additional content over the PSP version, or vice-versa?

Same question for TitS, in case they decide to port that as well. Also, there's supposed to be an iOS version that adds even more content?

Unless they update Oath on the PC, it won't let you start over from the beginning of the room when you die.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Last Celebration posted:

Unless they update Oath on the PC, it won't let you start over from the beginning of the room when you die.

Oh god, where do you restart then? :ohdear:

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

HondaCivet posted:

Oh god, where do you restart then? :ohdear:

Last save point, and save points can be pretty sparse in some dungeons.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Last Celebration posted:

ffffff

didn't realise the PSP version had this, I'm playing it on PC right now and it can be maddening dying when you're halfway through a dungeon. Often end up just teleporting back to the save point so at least I can keep my exp and money when I have to start again

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Nighteyedie posted:

Last save point, and save points can be pretty sparse in some dungeons.

Ys: Dark Souls Edition. :stare:

I was reading the Xseed forums and it's confirmed that it'll just be the PC version with Steamworks stuff tacked on, none of the extra stuff in the PSP version such as the VA and the restarting thing. Now I'm kind of torn about picking it up on Steam.

Ys Origin, on the other hand, has never before been translated into English, so that's pretty exciting. Has anyone played it? Is it pretty good?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

HondaCivet posted:

Ys Origin, on the other hand, has never before been translated into English, so that's pretty exciting. Has anyone played it? Is it pretty good?

Not nearly as good as Oath, but still a pretty decent game. For 15$ it will be a really good deal. It's about 24 hours long total, assuming you only play each character once.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Actually, it was translated into English a while ago. Good luck finding the game legally though.

So it's good that XSEED is bringing that to Steam.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

RadicalR posted:

Actually, it was translated into English a while ago. Good luck finding the game legally though.

So it's good that XSEED is bringing that to Steam.

Er, OK, the first time it has been officially released in English then.

Anyway, Xseed guy on the forums over there says it should be out very shortly as long as they don't run into any trouble, probably within the next couple of months. It sounds like more will be coming after that but who knows what.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Eggn0g posted:

Has anyone played Lunar: Silver Star Harmony on PSP? Is it any good? It's pretty cheap on PSN so I was thinking of getting it, but I never played the original or any other game in the series so I'm still thinking about it.

I found that the load times for SSH were abysmal, I'm talking like 5 seconds per fight. Other then that, and some voice acting (don't make them sound as annoying as they look!), the game is overall worth it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HondaCivet posted:

Ys: Dark Souls Edition. :stare:

I was reading the Xseed forums and it's confirmed that it'll just be the PC version with Steamworks stuff tacked on, none of the extra stuff in the PSP version such as the VA and the restarting thing. Now I'm kind of torn about picking it up on Steam.
I've only played the PC version and still thought it was one of the best action RPGs I've ever played, I can't imagine you'd be that disappointed.

E: I'll definitely be picking up Ys Origin at least. I heard (I think earlier in this thread) that it plays very poorly on Windows 7, so I would assume the Steam version would be a nice away around that.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 14, 2012

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Nate RFB posted:

I've only played the PC version and still thought it was one of the best action RPGs I've ever played, I can't imagine you'd be that disappointed.

E: I'll definitely be picking up Ys Origin at least. I heard (I think earlier in this thread) that it plays very poorly on Windows 7, so I would assume the Steam version would be a nice away around that.

I meant that I am torn between the PSP and Steam version. I had the UMD actually but I have a Vita now so I need to pick it up again. First world problems man.

I'm sure Xseed won't let Origin out the door without getting it to work well in Windows 7 first, so that will be cool even for people who have played it before.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The PC version is significantly better. Unless you spend a really significant amount of time traveling and thus require something portable, definitely get the PC version.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The PC version is significantly better. Unless you spend a really significant amount of time traveling and thus require something portable, definitely get the PC version.

But the PSP version is way more bad-player-friendly. :ohdear:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

HondaCivet posted:

But the PSP version is way more bad-player-friendly. :ohdear:

Just set Oath to one of the lower difficulties and you'll be fine.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

SpaceDrake posted:

Just set Oath to one of the lower difficulties and you'll be fine.

But . . . My ego!

Oath is the hardest Ys pretty much, right? Knowing that would make me feel slightly better.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

HondaCivet posted:

But . . . My ego!

Oath is the hardest Ys pretty much, right? Knowing that would make me feel slightly better.

I don't know, I found it to be easier than the first 2 and I haven't played any others yet. I thought the Earth Magic made the bosses really easy in Oath, but I've only played on Normal.
Not being able to restart from the same room isn't too big of a problem since the dungeons aren't terribly long and you can just teleport out when you are near death.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't know about hardest since I have not played them all, but Oath is a pretty challenging game when it comes to the bosses. All bosses have save points outside of their rooms - no exceptions that I can remember. You may die occasionally in the dungeons cause you're rushing or you run into something completely out of your league in a secret room.

But for the most part dying in the dungeons is fairly uncommon because after certain points in the game you will have accumulated two ways of self-healing. One reliable where you just stand still for like 10 seconds and you will heal fairly rapidly, the other just an augment of an already existing ability.

In regards to difficulty levels - the only thing the difficulty levels do in Oath is up HP and Damage numbers. This translates into two things:

1) more grinding (for most people)
2) better execution on bosses

Really it's the bosses that are the hardest part of the game which has nothing to do with the retry perk you'd be getting on the PSP version. I played through on hard most recently and it was about the limit of my playing ability and I am pretty good at games (I think).

Playing on normal in your case sounds like it'd be perfectly fine - and the game is still a blast because you'll be playing it the same exact way except your boss fights will be shorter and you may get away more with punching your super and wailing on bosses.

Get the PC version if you are intending on playing this at home. Also protip when you eventually play but upgrade your armor. Even those tiny +1 upgrades make a very noticeable impact on the game.

[e]Also I am pretty sure you can change the difficulty whenever on the PC version. The PSP version has a nagging screen about turning down the difficulty level if you die like 3 times in a row!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 15, 2012

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
You can't get the item that restores health for standing still until after getting the last magic, and even then getting it right away is a bit of a sequence break because it's guarded by end-game enemies.

I just played through Oath recently and the difficulty was kind of like Borderlands in that there was a very tight level range where the difficulty would be what you would expect, and just a level or two above or below that range would make the game either impossible or trivial.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

OK fine I will get the Steam version then, jeez.

Just in case they bring 1&2 to Steam at some point, is that also better on the PC or is the PSP version the definitive version?

I am kind of doubting that Seven will end up on Steam because it was actually made for the PSP but who knows, maybe they'll port it over sometime.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rascyc posted:

In regards to difficulty levels - the only thing the difficulty levels do in Oath is up HP and Damage numbers. This translates into two things:

1) more grinding (for most people)
2) better execution on bosses

Actually bosses get additional patterns and such on Hard mode, and a number of them get significantly faster too. Beyond Hard I don't recall there being any real changes though.

YsII definitely does this too, and even has some changes into Nightmare (mostly more bullets and more faster).

I honestly can't remember for Origin because I only played it on Normal once and it was so loving easy that I never did again.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

HondaCivet posted:

OK fine I will get the Steam version then, jeez.

Just in case they bring 1&2 to Steam at some point, is that also better on the PC or is the PSP version the definitive version?

I am kind of doubting that Seven will end up on Steam because it was actually made for the PSP but who knows, maybe they'll port it over sometime.

Ironcially the PSP versions are pretty much the definitive versions - they're the I&II "Complete" versions, but with a much cleaner interface. They sort of backported it in a slapdash manner in a "I&II Chronicles" package for the PC in Japan, but it's an emulated PSP version. :goleft: So really, your best bet there is the PSP version. The PC versions are ancient, locked-at-640x480-and-256-color things anyway.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Actually bosses get additional patterns and such on Hard mode, and a number of them get significantly faster too. Beyond Hard I don't recall there being any real changes though.

YsII definitely does this too, and even has some changes into Nightmare (mostly more bullets and more faster).

I honestly can't remember for Origin because I only played it on Normal once and it was so loving easy that I never did again.
Oh really, I stand corrected. I haven't really noticed them although the final boss is a kind of a bigger dick than I remember on hard.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Kevlar Beard posted:

Modern as in this gen, as in console quality.

Most of the big RPGs this gen on PC also came out on consoles. In the case of Dragon Age: Origins/Awakening, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and TES: Skyrim, the PC versions are better than the console versions.

Most of the PC exclusive RPGs are usually indy games. Torchlight is probably the most polished, if you're looking for a Diablo-like RPG.

joff_b
Aug 5, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

The only really frustrating thing about the random encounters I experienced was that you can't turn them off. Sometimes there are treasure chests in dungeons that you can't access until a later visit, and it sucks when you get pulled into random battles when the enemies are 20 levels below you.

It's ridiculous that 17 years after Earthbound they're still making you fight battles with enemies 10+ levels below you

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Yeah I've heard great things about that, but I meant the OC

The writing is not exactly amazing in the NWN2 OC. I didn't have any major issues with bugs, personally. It's a fairly well constructed game, as could be expected from that-era Bioware, and if you don't have issues with D&D ports in general, the system is pretty good. If you can, get the expansions, too. They open up a lot of character options that add some flair to the game.

My major gripe is, if you plan to craft your own items, look up a crafting faq and plan from the start who your crafting characters will be (they hand you one NPC that's basically built for it, another one or two that could easily be adapted to be crafters). DO NOT build your own character to do this, as it's a massive waste of feats for a character that is constantly in the party. Your party NPCs gain experience even when not in the active party, so it's easy to use one of your less-favorite spellcasters for this.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

joff_b posted:

It's ridiculous that 17 years after Earthbound they're still making you fight battles with enemies 10+ levels below you

I agree, though when I was 12 it made me feel like I was a champion among men. At least in Earthbound the enemies would get the hell out of your way if you were even 4-5 levels above them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
How do you guys find time to replay games? Basically everytime I've beaten a game (since HS) I've always had another lined up to play. I guess a lot of it has to do how much you love the game (I just put 150 hours into dark souls, but thats cause there wasn't anything else I wanted to play) but drat.

Btw, got the new tales of game. Only 2 hours in but I'm really liking it even though its already got some annoying characters (I don't know why but I always hate the really shy ones).