Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Olde Weird Tip posted:

In CA? Probably.

Either way, I'm making one, as I dont think we have/had one.

Does the picture tag thing from last year count? I don't know if the rules ever made it out of the Ways & Means Committee....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Forty Two posted:

Lighter fluid is very similar to gasoline and probably not the best thing to use. As always I would recommend isopropyl alcohol which should be safe on (just about) anything.

It's really not. It's made in part from Naptha, which while used in Gasoline production is not what makes it eat paint. Goo-gone is the same thing with a citrus oil added and marked up.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Z3n posted:

quote:

Stuff about neutral switches

Did it work when you removed it? If so, it's probably good.

It was working in the old engine, but that engine has since been taken out of the bike and moved around. Its after this that I noticed that the bullet connector contact had been bent..

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

grunthaas posted:

Did it work when you removed it? If so, it's probably good.

It was working in the old engine, but that engine has since been taken out of the bike and moved around. Its after this that I noticed that the bullet connector contact had been bent..
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about it then.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Marv Hushman posted:

Alright. So I'm not the only who uses this winterization process. To wit: hey, looks like winter's here. Bye!

Works for me. I'm sure it's gonna come bite me in the rear end because I type this, but my winter prep consists of;

1. Fill tank full (with petrol).
2. Put bike in the back of the garage.

Done!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I leave for basic training next week, and I was planning on just filling all my cases (crank, oil, primary, transmission, and cylinder/head) with oil, and removing the gear shift lever so some moron doesn't pop it into gear and hydrolock it while moving it in storage. Also, my standard "cleaning" procedure of spraying EVERYTHING down with WD-40 and giving it a wipedown, and removing the battery and putting plastic bags over every intake/exhaust/bar levers. The bike will be in storage (read: wrapped up in tarps and bungee cords underneath a covered deck/patio) for between 6 months and a year.

Is this a bad idea Y/Y?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Works for me. I'm sure it's gonna come bite me in the rear end because I type this, but my winter prep consists of;

1. Fill tank full (with petrol).
2. Put bike in the back of the garage.

Done!

I add 2 steps:

3. Change the oil sometime over the course of the winter
4. Park it on a carpet remnant

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Old Helmets that you no longer use but never crashed:

1) Scrap
2) Goodwill
3) Sell for $25

??

Dsparil
Feb 18, 2012

Gun Addict
QUESTION: Why do Harley engines shake so much and is there a way to stop it?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Dsparil posted:

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

slidebite posted:

1) Scrap
2) Goodwill
3) Sell for $25

??

Scrap. Even a never-crashed, but used, helmet has had the liner (the foam bit that protects your noggin) compressed and degraded over time. Even gas fumes degrade the foam, which is why you should never store them on the tank over the cap. The foam will appear full thickness, but won't take as much force to compress. Even just the repeated wearing of it compresses the foam quite a bit after awhile (ever notice how helmets "break in," then loosen up over a few months of use?).

If I had a spare helmet sitting around that I was ready to throw out, I'd think it would be time to make a novelty Santa/Hallowe'en helmet or something. Or just keep it as an emergency spare (unless you've already got one, or two, or five).

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Dsparil posted:

It's a large-cylinder v-twin, and no.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The loping firing order doesn't help things either.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Don't know where to put this but: I'm going to be in Seattle for a month. Is there any place that rents motorcycles the same way Budget rents cars? I hear Seattle has a lot of traffic; I'd like to avoid that, if possible, and just scoot places.

Edit: same question, area code 757.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 15, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

I leave for basic training next week, and I was planning on just filling all my cases (crank, oil, primary, transmission, and cylinder/head) with oil, and removing the gear shift lever so some moron doesn't pop it into gear and hydrolock it while moving it in storage. Also, my standard "cleaning" procedure of spraying EVERYTHING down with WD-40 and giving it a wipedown, and removing the battery and putting plastic bags over every intake/exhaust/bar levers. The bike will be in storage (read: wrapped up in tarps and bungee cords underneath a covered deck/patio) for between 6 months and a year.

Is this a bad idea Y/Y?

Well, it's not really necessary. There's enough oil and gas vapor in the cylinders by default that they won't rust over that period of time (indeed, they should last decades as long as the storage area is relatively dry). Just fill the tank to the top, put some fuel stabilizer in and run it for 20 minutes, spray anything that might rust with WD-40, and wrap it up good. Wash it (and dry it!) first, too, so the dust doesn't sit there for a long time.

When you get it back out make sure the tires have no flat spots, check all the bolts for proper torque, put in new gas and change the oil if you like.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Don't know where to put this but: I'm going to be in Seattle for a month. Is there any place that rents motorcycles the same way Budget rents cars? I hear Seattle has a lot of traffic; I'd like to avoid that, if possible, and just scoot places.

I usually wind up on the wrong side of the blanket party for suggesting HD when this comes up (too expensive, blah, too slow blah blah, can't do an endo, waaaaaaah). I suggest that you support small businesses first, where they exist. HOWEVER, if you're like Neil Young and want to ride a llama from Peru to Texarkana, there's an HD dealership at your start and end points, so you could possibly forego the llama.

Any port in a storm, and those guys have a lot of ports.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Geirskogul posted:

I leave for basic training next week

Thank you for your service.

I have no winterization wisdom, but I have a bit of basic training wisdom. Stay in the middle of the formation where no one can see you laughing. Forge alliances, because it's absolutely impossible for solo artists to graduate (this is half the point). Re-embrace snail mail. When the TI is flinging envelopes and packages into the crowd, you want one to have your name on it. Don't write or say anything you don't want repeated in front of 50 people. If you must put gear on the ground, check for ants before putting it back on. Take on ANY task that isn't KP.

Stay safe

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

1) Scrap
2) Goodwill
3) Sell for $25

??

I prefer this method of disposal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxMQBIv97y8

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

slidebite posted:

1) Scrap
2) Goodwill
3) Sell for $25

??

I plan on getting a pole, putting a base on it and drilling a hole in the top of my old helmets (except for a spare obviously) then over time making a totem pole of helmets.

I think I saw a picture of it once and liked the idea.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Shimrod posted:

I plan on getting a pole, putting a base on it and drilling a hole in the top of my old helmets (except for a spare obviously) then over time making a totem pole of helmets.

I think I saw a picture of it once and liked the idea.

This is genius. Found an ADVRider link.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Geirskogul posted:

This is genius. Found an ADVRider link.

That must be where I saw it - the link was viewed on my browser.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Geirskogul posted:

Scrap. Even a never-crashed, but used, helmet has had the liner (the foam bit that protects your noggin) compressed and degraded over time. Even gas fumes degrade the foam, which is why you should never store them on the tank over the cap. The foam will appear full thickness, but won't take as much force to compress. Even just the repeated wearing of it compresses the foam quite a bit after awhile (ever notice how helmets "break in," then loosen up over a few months of use?).

AND the shell degrades too (after ~5 years for plastic, ~10 for fibre) AND the padding is formed to your head and won't fit well on anybody else (but people buying second hand don't know/care about that...).

Don't buy second hand helmets!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KARMA! posted:

AND the shell degrades too (after ~5 years for plastic, ~10 for fibre)

I'm guessing plastic refers to polycarbonate etc., but does fibre refer to carbon fibre or fibreglass or both?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Geirskogul posted:

I leave for basic training next week...

Is this a bad idea Y/Y?

Yes.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

Thank you for your service.

I have no winterization wisdom, but I have a bit of basic training wisdom. Stay in the middle of the formation where no one can see you laughing. Forge alliances, because it's absolutely impossible for solo artists to graduate (this is half the point). Re-embrace snail mail. When the TI is flinging envelopes and packages into the crowd, you want one to have your name on it. Don't write or say anything you don't want repeated in front of 50 people. If you must put gear on the ground, check for ants before putting it back on. Take on ANY task that isn't KP.

Stay safe

QFT

Also go online and figure out ranks ahead of time and figure out who you call sir. It varies by services. I know my drill sergeants were called just that, but in the marines I think you call the drill instructors Sir. That will keep you from getting your head ripped off day one.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Edit: same question, area code 757.

Seattle traffic isn't that bad, though we do have a pretty bad rush hour. You won't be spending 4 hours in stop-and-go on the Interstate. Not nearly. And you can't avoid traffic by riding, since there's no lanesplitting here.

Motorcycles on the freeway get access to the HOV lane, which will help a lot. On surface streets, where I ride, poo poo gets annoying downtown in peak times (short blocks with lights at each) and you're occasionally at the mercy of drawbridges, depending on where you're going. Really, I don't think the traffic is significantly worse than any other dense metropolitan area without good public transit.

I can't think of anywhere that does month-long motorcycle rentals. There are probably HD rental places around, and I know a scooter rental place (with 150s), but that'd be more for weekend stuff.

If you do come here and ride, I hope you're ready for horrendously lovely roads, lots of steep hill stop/starts, and persistent light rain.

e: whoa they do $450 monthly scooter rentals for a 150cc from September to April?! that is actually pretty awesome

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 15, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Marv Hushman posted:

I usually wind up on the wrong side of the blanket party for suggesting HD when this comes up (too expensive, blah, too slow blah blah, can't do an endo, waaaaaaah). I suggest that you support small businesses first, where they exist. HOWEVER, if you're like Neil Young and want to ride a llama from Peru to Texarkana, there's an HD dealership at your start and end points, so you could possibly forego the llama.

Any port in a storm, and those guys have a lot of ports.

I don't really know what you're trying to say here.

I checked H-D rentals in Seattle. $700/wk. A mid-size car is $1000/mo, so no dice. It seems like the American "motorcycles are luxury, not primary transportation" is gonna kill me in the economies of scale department.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You could probably buy a cheap ol' street bike or dual sport for under $1000 that will last a month. Then unload it cheap when you leave.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, realistically, no one in their right mind would choose a recent model H-D as primary urban transportation. Maybe a Sportster, but I mean, come on. Harleys are luxury motorcycles in nearly any metric you choose. If you could find a company that would rent EX250s or DRZs or whatever I bet the price would be quite a bit lower.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I want to go two teeth up on the rear sprocket, but I don't really want to spend 150$ on a new chain right now. The current set up has ~9xxx miles on it, the chain is still good from my observation and the sprocket on there doesn't have any noticeable wear.

How bad would it be to throw a new sprocket on there without replacing the chain? Will it wear the chain faster? Or just the sprocket?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

GanjamonII posted:

I want to go two teeth up on the rear sprocket, but I don't really want to spend 150$ on a new chain right now. The current set up has ~9xxx miles on it, the chain is still good from my observation and the sprocket on there doesn't have any noticeable wear.

How bad would it be to throw a new sprocket on there without replacing the chain? Will it wear the chain faster? Or just the sprocket?

I tend to go through sprockets quicker than chains. I see no reason why you shouldn't do it. I'd wait for one of the more knowledgeable people to give a Yay or Nay though. I'm just a monkey with a wrench.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
My current sprocket has about 10k on it and looks golden, but the chain has slacked so far past the replacement point that I'm going to replace both soon. It seems like you'd see increased wear on both until they were "mated".

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I tend to go through sprockets quicker than chains. I see no reason why you shouldn't do it. I'd wait for one of the more knowledgeable people to give a Yay or Nay though. I'm just a monkey with a wrench.
That seems backwards to what I've experienced but I am running steel sprockets. Chains last 15-20k miles, sprockets lasted 50k.

GanjamonII go ahead and change sprockets, might wear the chain a tiny bit quicker but I doubt it will be noticeable.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

GanjamonII posted:

You probably wont have enough slack on the chain to fit it going +2.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

invision posted:

You probably wont have enough slack on the chain to fit it going +2.

From what I've read online it should fit ok. Its a common mod for this bike according to the internet.

Though getting the chain over it when putting the wheel back on may be a pain in the rear end :/

thanks for the advice everyone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GanjamonII posted:

Though getting the chain over it when putting the wheel back on may be a pain in the rear end :/

Your chain doesn't have a master link?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

GanjamonII posted:

From what I've read online it should fit ok. Its a common mod for this bike according to the internet.

thanks for the advice everyone

I'm not sure if I miscommunicated, so I'll clarify a little bit,

The chain might not fit over the sprocket since you're increasing sprocket size, but not chain size.

If that's what you got from my last post then good, we're on the same page!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm guessing plastic refers to polycarbonate etc., but does fibre refer to carbon fibre or fibreglass or both?

Hmm, I don't really have a link on me, but i do know that manufacturers recommend replacing every 5 years across the board.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KARMA! posted:

Hmm, I don't really have a link on me, but i do know that manufacturers recommend replacing every 5 years across the board.

It's both. The specific fiber you're using doesn't matter very much, because it's the epoxy matrix that degrades. Glass and carbon aren't affected by sunlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Your chain doesn't have a master link?

Good question, I don't know. I'll have to check into that. Last time I just slipped it off the side and while it was a bit of a pain to get back on, nothing a few minutes of cursing it out didn't fix.

Invision, that is what I got from your last post. I spoke with the guys at the local Aprilia shop on it the other day and they seemed to think it would not be an issue. There is a lot of room to adjust the back wheel in. It's one down on the front sprocket too so that should help a little bit also.

Meh I'll give it a go and if it doesn't fit I'll put the stock sprocket back on and order a chain.