Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Rodney the Piper posted:

If anyone hasn't listened to it yet, check out the most recent show with Konnan (from the 8th). I don't know poo poo about lucha, but listening to Konnan is one of the best things about subscribing to WO/F4.
One of the first shows I heard with him last year was when he described, very calmly, that the cops use WOLVES to search stadiums for drugs before shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Hearing Konnan talk about trying to sneak into the opposing company's show wearing a lucha mask was hilarious.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I listened to an almost 3 year old show with him on it awhile back, and when asked about Juvy, he opened up with, "Well, Juvy's just a little bitch."

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Well, that was an interesting Bryan and Todd Martin show...

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Perigryn posted:

Well, that was an interesting Bryan and Todd Martin show...

You might as well say what it is because nobody wants to have to suffer through a Todd Martin show.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Cactus Jack posted:

You might as well say what it is because nobody wants to have to suffer through a Todd Martin show.

Yeah, I was gonna say....

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Todd said that John Cena is a major reason for the decline in business over the last decade.

Bryan said that it's impossible to know exactly what causes people to stop following WWE but we have clear data showing Cena sells the most merch and gets the highest ratings.

Repeat on a loop for 5 minutes.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Why does anyone listen to Todd Martin shows? He is stupid and says stupid things and did I mention he is stupid?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Smackdown killed the WWE. Watching it you could see they were burning through all this stuff so quickly when they needed four plus hours of TV a week. Then they fired Chris Kreski, put Steph in charge, Austin wanted to turn heel and that's all folks and they have never recovered.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Well, lots of things killed the popularity of wrestling. Too many hours of TV to burn through, the McMahon storyline being the dominant angle forever, the botched Invasion storyline that should've been huge, the loss of Mick Foley, Steve Austin and The Rock as full-time wrestlers... all of these happened in the same relatively short timespan.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Cardboard Box posted:

...the McMahon storyline being the dominant angle forever, the botched Invasion storyline that should've been huge...

These two right here are what killed it for me. Turning the invasions into a McMahon dispute is the worst atrocity ever created.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Todd said that John Cena is a major reason for the decline in business over the last decade.

Bryan said that it's impossible to know exactly what causes people to stop following WWE but we have clear data showing Cena sells the most merch and gets the highest ratings.

These two things aren't mutually exclusive. Cena drives fans away, most of the fans who are left are Cena fans, who buy Cena merchandise and watch Cena segments.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I liked Lance Storm's prediction of Miz running in and helping Teddy Long's team beat Laurinaitis' team to get back at him for not letting him on his team and start a babyface turn. If anyone needs something new, it's Miz, and I think that's a good way to get the gears in motion.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Saul Goode posted:

These two things aren't mutually exclusive. Cena drives fans away, most of the fans who are left are Cena fans, who buy Cena merchandise and watch Cena segments.
Plus the fans who got turned away are conditioned to not get behind anybody because sooner or later Creative will do something that'll end up de-emphasizing them with Cena coming out on top somehow. e.g Ryder builds momentum for himself. So what does Creative do? Have Cena 'endorse' him and then involve him in a ridiculous angle that makes him out to be a pathetic loser who can't do anything without his big buddy around and who doesn't stand up for himself when the girl he likes makes out with Cena in front of him (with Cena being OUTRAGED that Zack called him out on it).

It's like Stephanie realizes he's the only real star (apart from Orton, anger management issues aside) created when she took over because of that oft mentioned story of her 'discovering' his rapping ability backstage (when it was really Heyman who saw his potential) and doesn't want anyone to get anywhere near his status.

Cardboard Box posted:

I liked Lance Storm's prediction of Miz running in and helping Teddy Long's team beat Laurinaitis' team to get back at him for not letting him on his team and start a babyface turn. If anyone needs something new, it's Miz, and I think that's a good way to get the gears in motion.
That's a really awesome idea. They could have Miz campaign to join the team in the next couple of weeks but he gets laughed at because of how far he's fallen, from main eventing last year to not being on the card this year. Then after helping Long's team win, he cuts a promo on Raw about how he's worked too hard to ever go back to being that guy that JBL kicked out of the locker room and he doesn't care how many enemies he makes, he will get back on top. Then he gets drafted to Smackdown and rebuilds himself...

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 16, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I feel like the audience hates the Miz enough that him running out to help Long's team would actually turn Long's team heel haha.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

triplexpac posted:

I feel like the audience hates the Miz enough that him running out to help Long's team would actually turn Long's team heel haha.
Is it really hate? That word's lost its meaning in a certain storyline, lol Long is kind of a heel anyway given how he strung Drew along for 2 months under threat of firing him just because Drew's contract was 'too high' and how last week, winning the WWE board of director's favor was more important than Aksana's well being.

...man, Creative are idiots....

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 16, 2012

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I was under the impression Kreski wasn't fired so much as his cancer caused him to take a leave of absence, then he died.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I was under the impression Kreski wasn't fired so much as his cancer caused him to take a leave of absence, then he died.

Cancer didn't hit him until after he was gone, I believe. He was replaced as head writer in 2000, then left the company in 2002. He died in 2005.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I really don't think so, I think they're just bored with him. He was actually really over at one point in time, and I think he could get there again. He just needs a new direction and to rebuild himself.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm basing my "crowd hates Miz too much to cheer him" opinion on the house show I went to last week, where he was immediately one of the most over heels for some reason. Crowd haaated him as soon as his music hit.

Maybe cause the crowd was mostly children?

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000
Miz is terrible as a face and everyone clamoring for a face turn thinking it will refresh his character should abandon all hope.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

When was the last time he was a face? When he was the 'Host of Smackdown' a million years ago? What makes you think he'd go back to that type of persona?

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000
I guess you're right, that was a pretty long time ago, but his look is just so douchey I can't help but want to punch him in the face. He's a natural heel. He'd have to get rid of the fauxhawk and learn how to work the mic much better than city-name sports-team type of heat to be able to work well as a face. None of his in-ring moves are particularly flashy or exciting except for that corner clothesline, which makes him more suited to working as a heel. Basically he would have to change everything about himself, including his in-ring style, to work as a face and I don't really see that happening.

Could you see him as a Randy Orton type of babyface, a totally dominating face who destroys his opponents?

Could you realistically see him as a CM Punk type babyface, the cool anti-hero who makes snarky comments but can totally back it up in the ring?

What would his character even be like as a face?

On the other hand, you were right, as a heel he was over as gently caress last year. All they have to do to make him credible is not book him like a complete joke and afterthought. Apparently though someone backstage doesn't want that to happen and we get him in his current form.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

PoO3 posted:

I guess you're right, that was a pretty long time ago, but his look is just so douchey I can't help but want to punch him in the face. He's a natural heel. He'd have to get rid of the fauxhawk and learn how to work the mic much better than city-name sports-team type of heat to be able to work well as a face. None of his in-ring moves are particularly flashy or exciting except for that corner clothesline, which makes him more suited to working as a heel. Basically he would have to change everything about himself, including his in-ring style, to work as a face and I don't really see that happening.

Could you see him as a Randy Orton type of babyface, a totally dominating face who destroys his opponents?

Could you realistically see him as a CM Punk type babyface, the cool anti-hero who makes snarky comments but can totally back it up in the ring?

What would his character even be like as a face?

On the other hand, you were right, as a heel he was over as gently caress last year. All they have to do to make him credible is not book him like a complete joke and afterthought. Apparently though someone backstage doesn't want that to happen and we get him in his current form.

Say you were in a room and there was a brownie on the other side that you wanted to get to. There are three different doors. In one is CM Punk, in another is Alberto Del Rio, and in another is The Miz. Who do you fight to get to the brownie?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Capsaicin posted:

Say you were in a room and there was a brownie on the other side that you wanted to get to. There are three different doors. In one is CM Punk, in another is Alberto Del Rio, and in another is The Miz. Who do you fight to get to the brownie?

I'd get Brodus Clay to get it for me, with a promise of sharing the brownie. :smug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

I open all three doors and say Miz thinks scarves and tattoos are for douches.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

PoO3 posted:

On the other hand, you were right, as a heel he was over as gently caress last year.

No he wasn't, most of the discussion a year ago at this time was about how they managed to book a six month heel title run without getting the champion over at all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Capsaicin posted:

Open the Punk door, tell him it's a pot brownie, he'll just frown and give you a smug lecture instead of fighting you, easiest riddle ever.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure which thread to stick this in, but reading the 10/31/94 Observer, I saw this and couldn't not share it.

quote:

Speaking of Cactus Jack, he's opened a side business selling leather biker jackets and vests. For a catalogue send to Cactus Jackets, 4290 Bells Ferry Rd. #106566, Kennesaw, GA 30144 and he's offering a 10% discount if you write and say you're an Observer reader.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

jeffersonlives posted:

No he wasn't, most of the discussion a year ago at this time was about how they managed to book a six month heel title run without getting the champion over at all.

Hell, he walked out of Wrestlemania, at the end of the legit main event of the show, as the WWE Champion and he still couldn't be taken seriously to the point that a couple of months afterward most people had forgotten he had even been in that match, let alone won it.

If you had told me a few years ago that something like that could happen, I'd have said you were crazy, but somehow they found a way to do it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wrestling Weekly this week reminded me why I stopped listening to that show. I wanted to hear that great FCW rant, and get the horrible sound quality that everyone not Bryan, Vinny or Alan4L suffers on that site (seriously, Skype exists) and just an old wrestler doing the whole "If you've never worked, you can't comment on the business" thing ON A FREAKING DIRTSHEET SITE!

Whole thing makes me so god drat angry to hear old guys tearing into FCW when it's the best it's ever been right now.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

njsykora posted:

and just an old wrestler doing the whole "If you've never worked, you can't comment on the business" thing ON A FREAKING DIRTSHEET SITE!

This is precisely why I stopped listening to that show after the second episode. Same thing with Tough Talk.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

njsykora posted:

Whole thing makes me so god drat angry to hear old guys tearing into FCW when it's the best it's ever been right now.

Here's the thing: FCW television is somewhat okay because they've been holding back a bunch of experienced good workers that should have went straight to the main roster. They've got three of ROH's best workers, Jon Moxley, Consequences Creed, Leo Kruger...all of these guys have a ton of experience and none of these guys should be in developmental. The rest of the good workers are the legacy guys who were trained from very early on by family and friends, like Richie Steamboat, the Rotundas, etc.

As a developmental system, it's still the drizzling shits. They're not actually developing anyone, they're just taking guys who were already good and having them idle, while Vince calls up the crappy stiffs instead. And those are all the guys who were recruited in with little or no experience and end up coming out being completely awful.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Supposedly Triple H has already set into motion his plans to overhaul developmental, and I hope it ends up for the better.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

jeffersonlives posted:

Leo Kruger

Is he really good? He looks so ridiculous in his FCW pics that I can't take him seriously. Unless he's doing a Zoolander gimmick or somethng.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Is he really good? He looks so ridiculous in his FCW pics that I can't take him seriously. Unless he's doing a Zoolander gimmick or somethng.

He's decent, but he's in his 30s and has been wrestling for something like fifteen years already. That's not the type of guy that they should be sending to developmental for two years.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

jeffersonlives posted:

He's decent, but he's in his 30s and has been wrestling for something like fifteen years already. That's not the type of guy that they should be sending to developmental for two years.

Huh. You learn something new every day.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

He looks at least slightly less ridiculous in motion than he does in his FCW photos.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
The Punchsport Podcast is back! And we made fun of another terrible show!

Punchsport Podcast: WrestleMania II
Starring: Nut Bunnies, HulkaMatt, The Goog, Kung Fu Grip

WrestleMania II was a terrible, disjointed mess that was held in different times and places with awful results. To pay tribute, we recorded a terrible, disjointed mess of a podcast that was held in different times and places with awful results.

We encourage you to watch along with us, via the YouTube links at the bottom. For whatever reason the person who uploaded the show did so in a strange order that isn't the original order of broadcast; for that reason, we start with Part 8 and work from there. Enjoy!

Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7

Oh, and the uploader cut out the battle royal. Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

njsykora posted:

and get the horrible sound quality that everyone not Bryan, Vinny or Alan4L suffers on that site (seriously, Skype exists)

Adam and Mike has always done their show on Skype. And Alan's show sounds pretty terrible, even if it is my favorite so I don't care.

• Locked thread