Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's still all dented to poo poo though.

My dad is a TV repairman. He has an awesome set of tools. I can fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So I did a bad thing.

I love the BBSs so much

The above is the worst looking part. The leather has a rubbed area.

The last two are the rear end where it was supposed to have been totaled from. I love the car. Exactly 41600 miles right now and I regret nothing. Drives like its new. Also the top is in superb condition and the tires are new. Not a single wheel has a scratch on it.

I would proudly wear a gay miata shirt now.

EDIT: On the bad side, they arent very sticky tires but I can wait on that. Also bonus pic.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 16, 2012

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Goddamn I miss my 95M. Real nice car, you're going to enjoy it a lot.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Looks nice, and I get to beat Phone to telling you to replace your radiator. Once they turn brown like that the plastic gets brittle and it's just a matter of time before they crack.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The radiator on my 95M looked brown like that when I bought it (at 70k miles), and looked brown like that when I sold it almost 5 years later, without ever leaking so much as a drop of coolant. I think the whole brown radiator = imminent doom thing is a little overblown.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The one in my '99 was always pretty drat brown too, but all it ever did was weep a very small amount of coolant at the base of the neck.

Touring T/As, though? :barf: Get some non-garbage tires on there ASAP and it will feel like a whole new car, again.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Speaking of tires, has tried getting any good summer tires through discount tire direct this year? Their selection blows currently, not sure whats up there. I'm in indy, so the tirerack sales tax + shipping vs DTD's no tax, no shipping is huge.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Sadi posted:

photos of beautiful 95m

Wow, it looks great. Do you mind saying how much you got it for?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

dustywusty posted:

Wow, it looks great. Do you mind saying how much you got it for?

It is a salvage title, there's discussion of it on the previous page. I talked him down $150 off the asking price of 4.8k but there really wasn't anything to use as a bargaining chip other than the title. It was all mint and there were a lot of other people super interested in it.

Also I'm trying to get the story strait on the radio, I need some special bezel from japan to mount a single din unit in this car? I already am having ipod withdraws and want to get something in it with an AUX in.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Sadi posted:

Also I'm trying to get the story strait on the radio, I need some special bezel from japan to mount a single din unit in this car? I already am having ipod withdraws and want to get something in it with an AUX in.

What have you got at the moment? Show us a pic.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

beatdown posted:

Speaking of tires, has tried getting any good summer tires through discount tire direct this year? Their selection blows currently, not sure whats up there. I'm in indy, so the tirerack sales tax + shipping vs DTD's no tax, no shipping is huge.

Trick is to find a tire shop with an account at tirerack. I'm getting 205/50/15 star spec's put on next weekend for 100$/tire, including mounting & balancing.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

meltie posted:

What have you got at the moment? Show us a pic.

Here is the head unit.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Guinness posted:

The radiator on my 95M looked brown like that when I bought it (at 70k miles), and looked brown like that when I sold it almost 5 years later, without ever leaking so much as a drop of coolant. I think the whole brown radiator = imminent doom thing is a little overblown.

Agreed, when I got my 01 everyone said to replace it and I didn't and 2 years later I sold it without leaking a drop

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Sadi posted:

You can also go the radio "delete" route and just mount a small amplifier and blanking plate if all you use is your iPod.

But yes, IIRC you need a funky single DIN mounting solution, or several other Mazda double-din radios will pop right in. Your OEM radio might actually be fairly easy to add aux-in to -- read up on that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My 1996's radio wasn't that particular model, but I soldered some wires onto a few pins on the rear of the deck, added a switch, and a female mini-jack port.

It worked great, flick the switch: the deck read something like AUX and it piped audio in through the mini-jack.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

I have aux in on my 91 which has the same unit (sans the cd player), had it added by the Jeff Anderson guy at miata.net, but the unit needed other work as well. Probably not to hard to do yourself with a soldering iron. He does great work if you want to just have someone else do it as well. He'll make the head rest speakers sound better too as long as you don't have the craptacular factory speakers still in there.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The quick fix is to just go get a tape adapter. You can probably find one for around 10 bucks.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

8th-samurai posted:

The quick fix is to just go get a tape adapter. You can probably find one for around 10 bucks.

I've done that before and probably will for the time being but every one of those I've used loses quite a bit of sound quality.

So something I noticed today. I can't lock the doors and shut them. They unlock when i close them unless I hold the door handle open when I close the doors. Both passenger and driver. Is there a way to keep that from happening?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Sadi posted:

I've done that before and probably will for the time being but every one of those I've used loses quite a bit of sound quality.

So something I noticed today. I can't lock the doors and shut them. They unlock when i close them unless I hold the door handle open when I close the doors. Both passenger and driver. Is there a way to keep that from happening?

That's a feature so that you don't accidentally lock your self out of your car. Seriously though, who locks a convertible?I would rather people rifle through my empty glove box whenever they want than cut a hole in my top. I just disconnected the trunk release cable and put anything even marginally valuable in there.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Sadi posted:

Here is the head unit.

Right, that's the original radio setup. It's actually 2.5 DIN high.

It's an easy job to mount a new radio in there. Take the old one out, saving the metal brackets from the side. Get a wiring adaptor from Crutchfield which will convert the Miata's plugs to a standard socket - no cutting of wires and no soldering needed.

Use the brackets from the old radio to mount the new head unit in the top of the dashboard hole. You then use a 1.5 DIN pocket to fill the space below - eBay will find you a load of them.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sadi posted:

Every two door Japanese car I've owned (1985 MR2 being oldest) has done that. I can't believe you've never noticed before.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Sockington posted:

Every two door Japanese car I've owned (1985 MR2 being oldest) has done that. I can't believe you've never noticed before.

Yeah I guess I just havent been around enough of them. I had a 99 accord, my brother had a 97 integra, and my ex had an 01 miata. I never noticed it on them. The miata may have done it, but it had remote locks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Only the driver's side is like that in my '97 Impreza (then again, it has power locks). The passenger side will gleefully lock you out.

Both doors are like that on my buddy's '87 RX-7, so I can definitely see that it was a groupthink thing.

Solosilent
Dec 16, 2005
edit: nevermind

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a good place to buy replacement steel sleeves for the polyurethane differential bushings? I noticed some thunking from the rear end and I discovered they have been destroyed.

I'm considering just getting some steel tube stock and cutting it down.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

8th-samurai posted:

That's a feature so that you don't accidentally lock your self out of your car. Seriously though, who locks a convertible?I would rather people rifle through my empty glove box whenever they want than cut a hole in my top. I just disconnected the trunk release cable and put anything even marginally valuable in there.

A thousand times this. I tried to explain this to a cousin of mine when she bought a new Z3(I think it was, anyway), and two weeks later, when she left it locked in the walmart parking lot her top got cut open. I don't even think there was anything worth taking in it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I never locked my Miata for that reason. I never leave anything in my car anyway (especially a convertible), so if someone wants to try to find something valuable in it, just go ahead and do it and leave my top alone.

On a couple occasions my car had obviously been rifled through without anything more valuable than a pen or a quarter going missing. But my top was still in tact.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Tactical Bonnet posted:

A thousand times this. I tried to explain this to a cousin of mine when she bought a new Z3(I think it was, anyway), and two weeks later, when she left it locked in the walmart parking lot her top got cut open. I don't even think there was anything worth taking in it.

What the gently caress? Someone slasher her top at Walmart? Was this in Detroit or something? Where I live Walmart has security patrolling their lots 24/7, and there's always way too many cameras and people to get away with something like that.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've also never locked my Miata. Don't keep anything of value in there.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

revmoo posted:

What the gently caress? Someone slasher her top at Walmart? Was this in Detroit or something? Where I live Walmart has security patrolling their lots 24/7, and there's always way too many cameras and people to get away with something like that.

This walmart has a fat guy in a Caliber that idles around the lot when he isn't in the drive-thru of the krispy-kreme in the parking lot. No idea what he was doing.

I also have never locked my miata, but someone did get almost a whole dollar worth of change out of my cup holder a few weeks ago. :smith:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What could possibly go wrong?

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

What could possibly go wrong?

Awesome.

dema posted:

I've also never locked my Miata. Don't keep anything of value in there.

Yeah, but thieves are dicks, so you never know what they'll do. Some dickhead went through my unlocked Miata one night and broke open my center console lid with a screwdriver even though it wasn't locked, either. I don't keep anything of value in my car, and I guess they didn't want my gum. They messed with some other unlocked cars, but left all the locked ones untouched.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wanted a Miata until you guys started posting these stories.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I wanted a Miata until you guys started posting these stories.

Its cool, Ive had mine 48 hours now and no ones hosed with the top yet.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Sadi posted:

Its cool, Ive had mine 48 hours now and no ones hosed with the top yet.
I've had mine for five years and nobodies hosed with the top yet.

I also changed my CAS o-ring again (first time about four years ago). Hopefully this one lasts a bit longer. Now time to find a permanent place to mount my DIYPNP and tune enhanced acceleration enrichment!

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

For all of you considering summer tires on your 14" wheels, BUY NOW!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-195-6...#ht_1940wt_1139

$100 MIR before 3/25 with free shipping on ALL 4 tires or wheels.
http://dtdoutlet.com/Rebates/DTD_Ebay_100_Fulfillment_0316-0325.pdf

Really wish I needed tires right now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I leave the top down a lot, and after owning two Miatas before this one I'm just waiting for the random poo poo that people will throw in it. But that's why I got a Miata that's a little rough around the edges, I hate putting up the top, zipper the rear window and putting up the drat windows every time i park it. Bring on the trash :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nobody ever messed with mine or went through my poo poo. I never kept anything in it either but left the top down in parking lots pretty often.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The funniest story I heard was some random family messing with this dude's car(a goon?), putting their kids in the driver's seat and taking pictures :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had somebody dump a GIANT bag of shelled peanuts in my first Miata :iiam: