Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

dud root posted:

Got a question about a 32Gb thumb stick- it kinda belongs here being flash. Keep getting CRC errors writing to the drive about 1/2 the time. (TeraCopy compares source & destination CRCs)

Any tools to check the disk for bad/expired flash sectors? I tried chkdsk with /r (locate bad sectors) and it didnt help

Windows: http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/chkflsh_en
Linux: badblocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

dietcokefiend posted:

Well it wouldn't be ruling it out over time to see what stuff is real versus just free space. On a SSD a TRIM command puts the NAND back into a unused state. It would be clearly visible as a "nothing stored here, move on" deal.

If you dump the controller internals, sure.

The real difference, at least at this point, is that hardware FDE is going to encrypt that block map while software encryption probably isn't.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Is there anything I should know about this drive before I get it? I'm building a new computer and this looks perfect for the OS drive, but I want to make sure I'm not accidentally buying a dud.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

sethsez posted:

Is there anything I should know about this drive before I get it? I'm building a new computer and this looks perfect for the OS drive, but I want to make sure I'm not accidentally buying a dud.

Yes, what you should know about that drive is that you should spend an extra $20ish and get a known-to-be-excellent drive like the M4 (and you'll get an 8gb bonus!). I'm not sure how the 830 pricing is these days. (edit: the Samsung 830, that is, another excellent series)

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 14, 2012

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

DNova posted:

Yes, what you should know about that drive is that you should spend an extra $20ish and get a known-to-be-excellent drive like the M4 (and you'll get an 8gb bonus!). I'm not sure how the 830 pricing is these days. (edit: the Samsung 830, that is, another excellent series)

Newegg has a 256GB 830-series on sale today for $300, as a matter of fact.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Anandtech has a short piece about the upcoming Marvell 88S9187 SSD controller, the latest version of the controller that powers the Crucial M4 and Intel SSD 510 drives, among others. It looks like they've implemented something akin to Sandforce's RAISE (Redundant Array of Independent Storage Elements) technology, designed to allow data recovery even if a flash chip fails. They also claim "best-in-class" random read/write performance, but we shall see. It also supports SATA3.1, which you can read more about here, though it looks like the only significant changes are allowing mSATA/mPCI-E cards to use the same slot (some laptops implemented this but it was proprietary), and increased performance by allowing the drive to queue TRIM commands to run when idle.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I recently upgraded most of the components in my system. I didn't really think about upgrading the computer's storage because I have plenty of disk space. I didn't even think about getting a speed increase in disk I/O operations by adding an SSD. Well, now I am. How good are the SSD cache drives? Would I be better off skipping those and just grabbing a regular SSD? It wouldn't kill me to reinstall Windows -- because I did a fresh install when I upgraded the other components, so there's not a ton of applications that would need to be reinstalled -- but I'd like to avoid it if the cache drives are almost as good.

On a related note, for reasons that are beyond me this motherboard has two onboard RAID controllers (one for SATA II and one for SATA III, I think). Would there be an appreciable speed difference between running two SSDs in RAID 0 or just running one SSD by itself? I learned the hard way a long time ago to never run mechanical HDDs in RAID 0, but given that SSDs are supposedly more reliable I wouldn't be as susceptible to one of the drives dying, right?

I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing here. SSDs are new territory for me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

...! posted:

Would I be better off skipping those and just grabbing a regular SSD?
Yes.

quote:

if the cache drives are almost as good.
They're not.

quote:

Would there be an appreciable speed difference between running two SSDs in RAID 0 or just running one SSD by itself?
No unless you're benchmarking or just doing heavy I/O regularly in your workflow.

quote:

I learned the hard way a long time ago to never run mechanical HDDs in RAID 0, but given that SSDs are supposedly more reliable I wouldn't be as susceptible to one of the drives dying, right?
poo poo happens. Look at all the SandForce bullshit before, OCZ (...in general), Intel 8MB bug, funky Corsair one, etc.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm looking to replace my current Intel X-25M 80GB (2nd generation), so I have this question: has a goon consensus (if such a thing isn't an oxymoron) been reached on whether Intel 520 480GB is a good mix of speed and reliability?
From the benchmarks I've found it seems fast, however the OP mentions that reliability hasn't had a chance to be tested yet.

The reason I'm going for 480GB (other than the fact that I've saved up to buy a big SSD, so it's covered in my budget) is that I want to keep all my games on my SSD, along with several applications which take up quite a bit of diskspace and I also want to run my VMs on the SSD instead of my Samsung HD103UI 1TB HDD that contains games/VMs and a few other things). For storage (stuff that doesn't need fast disk I/O like games, VMs and a few other things) I'll be using my 5TB server (connected over gigabit NIC), so that's not an issue.

I'm not looking to buy something right now, but around May (with the Diablo 3 release setting the date for the SSD upgrade from my Intel X-25M 80GB to something bigger and faster).

EDIT: ↓ Just so I'm clear on what you mean: The SandForce controller in question has had some issues in the past (I thought I read something about this), hasn't it? So Intel are claiming they have solved that and there are no more issues to be had?
I can only hope that 1½ month will shine a light on any problems there may be.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 18, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I don't think we have any indications that it ISN'T as reliable as Intel says, though it just hasn't been out long enough for any issues to come to light.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Intel seemingly spent a shitload of time on Sandforce and uncovered issues that were possibly fixed in no other shipping Sandforce firmware. In the Sandforce pile, Intel 520 is definitely the one I'd pick, without hesitation. Comes with a 5 year warranty too, when others come with 3. Just make sure you don't spend vastly more than you would on other goon-approved drives.

In short, there's no reason to think it would be less reliable than other Sandforce drives, and there is the comfort of 5 year warranty and Intel's validation that lets you think that it could very well be more reliable than other Sandforce drives.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Please forgive my stupid newbie question and posting of a Crystal Disk Mark screenshot.

I got my Samsung 830 128gb today. Did a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium x64, and it didn't feel like it was booting / loading stuff much faster.

So. Here's the screenshot:

The 4k numbers are low, right? If not, I'm obviously just reading it wrong because I'm an idiot. It's a fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium x64, it's drivers are all up to date, all updates are applied, and I have confirmed TRIM is active. If I'm not reading this wrong, what do I try next?

System is
i5 2500k
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3.
8gb G-Skill RAM
NVIDIA 560ti
Samsung Spinpoint platter drive
WD Green platter drive
Samsung SSD.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Exactly as expected.

For laughs, do the 4K random benchmark on the WD Green drive.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Exactly as expected.

For laughs, do the 4K random benchmark on the WD Green drive.

Ah. So I am an idiot! Hooray!

WD green drive reads 0.85 on the 4k read and 1.51 on the write (I guess I really should have checked that before posting).

Thanks!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Sometimes SSDs don't feel very fast until you've gone back to a system with a hard drive, as well. But believe you me, with numbers like those, it's fast.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I had the impression, for some reason, that the writes would be slower than the reads, that's all.

Just went to 'fix' my brother's computer. He'd jolted his graphics card lose is all, but yeah, the difference between the platter and the ssd is night and day, you just don't realise it immediately.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I just recently bought an Intel 520 because I bought a laptop. Thing is, I have a drive of the same size in my desktop computer (Kingston HyperX). I know they're both nearly identical, but I'd rather have the potentially more dependable Intel drive in my desktop, which sees much more use. What software can I use to make an image of my current Desktop SSD and put it on the new Intel one while preserving alignment? I haven't had any experience moving a system onto an SSD because I usually just start from scratch. On a side note, I paid $330 for the Intel SSD which is pretty amazing since I paid over $500 for the Kingston one (being impatient is really dumb).

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Since both of those drives have equal LBA mappings, you could just use DD under Linux for a quick clone.

As a side note when you bought your kingston SSD, was it an upgrade kit? That should have a copy of Acronis you could also use for cloning.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I got the version of the Kingston that came with nothing but a 3.5" adapter. I can get my hands on a copy of the Acronis software though, thanks.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

You can download a version of Acronis from Intel if you're imaging an Intel drive. I think it works in both directions, but I've only imaged to the Intel drive.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19324

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

A few questions

I was looking for deals on a SSD and I saw mention of asynchronous vs synchronous flash and a link to http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/07/nand_flash_faces_off_synchronous_vs_asynchronous/6
The OP doesn't mention this at all. Is this something I should think about? The SSD would be going in a 3yr old Macbook Pro that I use mainly for development and very light gaming (Starcraft 2 and TF2 every now and then)

Also, with these SSDs, there is a lot of talk about updating the firmware. Like I said, I'll be putting this in a Macbook. Is there any manufacturer that makes a firmware updating utility that runs on OS X? Otherwise, how do OS X users update firmware usually - does bootcamp work or would I have to take the SSD out and attach it to a Windows computer?

brewmeister
Sep 23, 2008
I chose the username "brewmeister". That tells you all you need to know about me.
Decided to go with the SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120GB over the Samsung 830 and Corsair Force 3. I am glad I did. This thing is amazing. Picked it up from Frys Electronics for $149.99. I will post some benchmarks later today.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171567

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

brewmeister posted:

Decided to go with the SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120GB over the Samsung 830 and Corsair Force 3. I am glad I did. This thing is amazing. Picked it up from Frys Electronics for $149.99. I will post some benchmarks later today.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171567

Why..
"SandForce SF-2281"
Same same as the Corsair.

brewmeister
Sep 23, 2008
I chose the username "brewmeister". That tells you all you need to know about me.

redeyes posted:

Why..
"SandForce SF-2281"
Same same as the Corsair.

Why SanDisk and not Corsair?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

brewmeister posted:

Why SanDisk and not Corsair?

Is that a question to me? The controllers are the same with the Corsair and the Sandisk.

brewmeister
Sep 23, 2008

redeyes posted:

Is that a question to me? The controllers are the same with the Corsair and the Sandisk.

Ya, exactly. Frys had the Corsair for $189.99.

I thought you were asking why I got the SanDisk. My point was that there is minimal difference between them, so paying $40 less for pretty much the same SSD is an awesome deal.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
My old Windows drive is starting to die and I'm looking at replacing it with an SSD, specifically the one mentioned in the OP: Corsair Force Series 3

Is that still a good choice for an average user or is there a new drive out that is a bit better?

brewmeister
Sep 23, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

My old Windows drive is starting to die and I'm looking at replacing it with an SSD, specifically the one mentioned in the OP: Corsair Force Series 3

Is that still a good choice for an average user or is there a new drive out that is a bit better?

That was the one I was going to get but pretty much everyone I had talked to said to go with the SanDisk Extreme. Pretty much the exact same in terms of performance and reliability but cheaper. Read the last few posts before yours.

Edit: Well actually Newegg seems to have changed prices a little. They are both $149.99 I guess go with the brand you like best.

brewmeister fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 25, 2012

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
So I bought a 2TB Samsung HDD and moved my 60GB SSD to a Intel SRT cache. I am really happy with the performance actually, yeah 1st time loads suck as much as a HDD but since I usually play the same 3-4 games it makes a big difference with no symlink fuckery, and all my other commonly used apps launch instantly.

My question is, does TRIM work on an SRT cache drive?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Quick question, I'm trying to decide between the Crucial M4 256GB and the Samsung 830 256GB. I notice there's a price difference of about $50 between the two. I'm primarily interested in getting an SSD that'll load game levels fastest.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
830 is the price is equal, cheaper one otherwise.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ruffz posted:

Quick question, I'm trying to decide between the Crucial M4 256GB and the Samsung 830 256GB. I notice there's a price difference of about $50 between the two. I'm primarily interested in getting an SSD that'll load game levels fastest.

830 demolishes the M4 in benchmarks

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/532?vs=355

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
None of those are "fps level loads faster" though

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ruffz posted:

I own both and can't tell a difference between them in practical usage, get whatever is cheapest. In Canada the M4 256GB is on some sort of price promotion at a bunch of places, you might want to shop around if you're in the US and see if you can find a similar deal. I got mine for $309 while the 830 cost me nearly $90 more.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm ready to buy a Samsung 830, but I don't yet have a motherboard capable of 6.0GB SATA. Will this severely gimp the drive's capability?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ruffz posted:

I'm ready to buy a Samsung 830, but I don't yet have a motherboard capable of 6.0GB SATA. Will this severely gimp the drive's capability?
It'll reduce performance, but you won't notice it.

bigger thicker loads
Feb 28, 2003

you know you want it
I'm selling a 128GB Samsung 830 in this thread right here if anyone is interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474700

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

bigger thicker loads posted:

I'm selling a 128GB Samsung 830 in this thread right here if anyone is interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474700

Speaking of, Newegg had this down to $140 yesterday, which is good news as far as price drops. Previously, Samsung had intel-esque premiums on their drives. We'll probably be below $1/GB for most SSD's by the end of Summer.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

ruffz posted:

So, to be clear, you're spending extra money to buy a drive that shave every second you can off level load times, then putting it on a board that will cut the link speed in half? I mean I guess it's not stupid if you're planning to buy a new board in the very near future, but you're still almost certainly better off buying something that would be a better value, like the Crucial M4 or Corsair Force 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Alereon posted:

So, to be clear, you're spending extra money to buy a drive that shave every second you can off level load times, then putting it on a board that will cut the link speed in half? I mean I guess it's not stupid if you're planning to buy a new board in the very near future, but you're still almost certainly better off buying something that would be a better value, like the Crucial M4 or Corsair Force 3.

I'm planning on getting a new CPU/MB/RAM when I get my financial aid check from school. I can afford to buy an SSD in the mean time, but only want to if I'll see a performance boost now. I'd be upgrading from a 1st generation Intel 80gb drive.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 29, 2012

• Locked thread