Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I was tapping out of Rogan's podcast because it was more of the same discussions over and over, but man does this show shine when you get honest, good guests like Mike Paxton. I would never assume this dude lived the life he did. Out of the park episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002

Cromulent posted:

I've been enjoying the different variety of guests lately. I guess what I like the most is the influx of non-stoner comics (Fitzsimmons, Gaffigan...even if I do enjoy Joe's circle of stoners), and non-new age pseudo-science guests such as Paxton. I wasn't sure how well Gaffigan would vibe with Joe, but it was pretty hilarious right from the start.
Yeah I love Gaffigan but had some trouble seeing him on the show. But it was great. I think it benefitted from not being another 3 hour behemoth, something I don't think is very good for the show anyway.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

nemoulette posted:

Yeah I love Gaffigan but had some trouble seeing him on the show. But it was great. I think it benefitted from not being another 3 hour behemoth, something I don't think is very good for the show anyway.

The long ones are alright when I'm driving to and from work. But I imagine watching it in one sitting would be pretty brutal.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
I always listen to them in increments at work, as sometimes it's too much and I need a break from imagining scenarios where I get jacked by a lion. Though sometimes when the chemistry is there I can easily listen non-stop with no mental recharge necessary. I've never really "watched" the JRE, just listened, so I'm not sure how much I'm missing out, though probably not much.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

That Mike Paxton guy was a great guest. But man Joe always gets so uncomfortable around guys who say they love their wives and enjoy doing things for them/being around them. That really bugs me about him.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I can't remember which podcast it was, but there was one where he was talking with someone and flat out said "wanna know why I married my wife? because it made her happy"

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

goldblums eyes posted:

I can't remember which podcast it was, but there was one where he was talking with someone and flat out said "wanna know why I married my wife? because it made her happy"

This is something he's said before in the past. He said the only reason he married his current wife was that A. it made her happy and B. they had a kid together

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

-Atom- posted:

This is something he's said before in the past. He said the only reason he married his current wife was that A. it made her happy and B. they had a kid together

I'm interested in seeing what she looks like, since he always talks about liking girls with some meat to them.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Brekelefuw posted:

I'm interested in seeing what she looks like, since he always talks about liking girls with some meat to them.

his wife is Jessica Schimmel.. I don't know if that's a bad picture of her or what (that's 1 of probably 3 pictures that exist of her on the internet), but ehhhhhhjoe what :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

goldblums eyes posted:

his wife is Jessica Schimmel.. I don't know if that's a bad picture of her or what (that's 1 of probably 3 pictures that exist of her on the internet), but ehhhhhhjoe what :(

the one on the right? you must have some ridiculously high standards

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Wait what? His wife is Bob Schimmel's daughter?

Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

Tom, this is "Mayor's Fun Money." You can use it anywhere.
Joe was simply talking about the fact that he didn't believe in marriage, I'm sure he loves his wife.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

goldblums eyes posted:

his wife is Jessica Schimmel

This is probably wrong.

EDIT: Nevermind. I really don't know either way

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

ZeroDays posted:

the one on the right? you must have some ridiculously high standards

I'm not saying she is ugly, I just wouldn't expect Joe to date someone who looks like an awkwardly young elementary school librarian

goldblums eyes fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 16, 2012

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

goldblums eyes posted:

I'm not saying she is ugly, I just wouldn't expect Joe to date someone who looks like an awkwardly young elementary school librarian

:goonsay:

Who would you expect Joe "gorilla gently caress" Rogan to date?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 17, 2012

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Google Butt posted:

:goonsay:

Who would you expect Joe "gorilla gently caress" Rogan to date?

I have no clue? Why is it astonishing someone has an opinion where they can or can't see one person being married to another

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
It's astonishing to say condescendingly that she's below Rogan's level when she's really quite gorgeous. I'm proud of Joe for locking that down.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Advice posted:

It's astonishing to say condescendingly that she's below Rogan's level when she's really quite gorgeous. I'm proud of Joe for locking that down.

I never said she was below his level, i said they don't look like two people thatd be married to each other.

This is a really dumb conversation that was barely even a thought in my head when i saw the picture soo lets change the subject!

goldblums eyes fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 18, 2012

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Yeah.

So it is Bob Schimmel's daughter or what? That looks like a Stern show photo but I don't recall hearing her on the air, though that was 4 years ago and I may have been :420: while listening to it.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Birthday Cake posted:

Joe was simply talking about the fact that he didn't believe in marriage, I'm sure he loves his wife.

Yeah but he's a huge privilege-denying crybaby misogynist still

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

Yeah but he's a huge privilege-denying crybaby misogynist still

He is rich with six pack abs. Literally nothing else matters and we should stop talking about this dumb argument.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
i remember seeing joe rogan's first special a long time ago and thinking "wow this guy hates women". it goes back a long way.

ari shaffir is scheduled to be on in an hour.

ziglol
Oct 13, 2006

Demie posted:

i remember seeing joe rogan's first special a long time ago and thinking "wow this guy hates women". it goes back a long way.

Ehh, the way he talks about his mother, it seems a lot of it is rooted in him because of her.

He looks after his wife & kids, and is an all round stand up guy, so I find the calls that he is a misogynist a bit harsh tbh.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

That's kinda the thing about it.

Yes this is all speculation I could absolutely be 100% wrong opening up this can of worms but he just sounds like he does as little as he can to get by with his wife. He obviously loves his kids but I just think it's weird as hell he almost never, ever talks about his wife ever. Yeah, the thing about her wanting to be anonymous but, still, you'd think he'd have some random, innocuous nice things to say about her from time to time- more than, almost nothing ever. Plus it sounds like he cares more about what his buddies think about him when he mentions he's married and right behind it he always throws the disclaimer "I only did it because it made HER happy!!!". Then you have Doug Stanhope, one of his best friends, whispering that he's a total misogynist as soon as Joe gets up (loving lol).

Not at all trying to drag this thread down and say he actively hates women and masturbates to female humiliation poo poo like a Sal Governale, but at best (and I do try to give him this credit) I think he's blissfully unaware at how much of a sexist he comes off as and thinks every guy is like him.

edit: the marriage thing does kinda bug me. To a lot of women marriage is a big loving deal, and this definitely goes for his wife if she forced him into it. Since this is the case wouldn't it be, I dunno, just a common courtesy to at least act like being married was important as to not make your own spouse and mother of your children feel like you were just doing her a favor? drat.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 20, 2012

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

AltronHGX posted:

Then you have Doug Stanhope, one of his best friends, whispering that he's a total misogynist as soon as Joe gets up (loving lol).
[/sub]

Doug and Joe have separate lives now and have for quite some time. The Man Show happened like 8 years ago. Doug is on the road all the time and Rogan flies around the world doing UFC and other gigs. They only see each other a few times a year these days. When Doug was working with Rogan that was before he was even a pot smoker.

You got to remember, Joe has admitted plenty of times that he was a huge rear end in a top hat in his 20s and a little bit in his 30s. He didn't start mellowing out until he was like 35. That's a long time of being a guy who probably did hate women and everyone else.

But I will also say that nobody here knows exactly how Joe is away from the podcast and stand up.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 20, 2012

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Are there any episodes in which they discuss the Carlos Menstealia/ joke stealing thing? I just watched the movie Redban put together on YouTube and it is loving hilarious, and would love to hear about it more in depth with better audio quality.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

causticBeet posted:

Are there any episodes in which they discuss the Carlos Menstealia/ joke stealing thing? I just watched the movie Redban put together on YouTube and it is loving hilarious, and would love to hear about it more in depth with better audio quality.
Not really. By the time they started the podcast, Joe had already wanted to completely put it behind him. Even when the subject of other comics stealing comes up, Joe tries not to talk about it, he didn't like how he was becoming some kind of poster boy for calling out comics.

But he does discuss it a bit with Maron on his WTF episode, so maybe try to find that.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Joe Rogan posted:

My pal @BrodyismeFriend will join us on the podcast today at 3pm Pacific. Rejoice!

Brody Stevens loving owns and I couldn't be anymore excited for a solo appearance on Rogan's podcast.

Enjoy it!

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
YES!

Just the guest I need to get back on track after skipping the last 10 or so.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Carolla is a man's man too but mentions his wife like every episode. I didn't even know Rogan was married until I googled it. Weirds me out sometimes.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Xguard86 posted:

Carolla is a man's man too but mentions his wife like every episode. I didn't even know Rogan was married until I googled it. Weirds me out sometimes.

If you are with your friends and mention your wife every time, it'd weird me out. It's cool to have separate parts of your life. I don't expect my girlfriend to talk about me to her friends.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think the point is, and it was the point I was making, is that people tend to mention their relationships on a semi-daily basis because most people consider that a large/important part of their life.

Man, I know I sound like such a downer in this thread but I like Joe- it's just that one aspect about him that really weirds me out :shobon:

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

*redban to brody stevens about depression* "I think it's your time to just gently caress some pussy up"

"woahhh brian,~~ this guy is almost 40~~, do you listen to how you're phrasing this? "you just gotta gently caress some pussy up""" ^^^you just gotta gently caress some pussy up^^^ -Joe "gorilla gently caress" Rogan

goldblums eyes fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 22, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

AltronHGX posted:

I think the point is, and it was the point I was making, is that people tend to mention their relationships on a semi-daily basis because most people consider that a large/important part of their life.

Man, I know I sound like such a downer in this thread but I like Joe- it's just that one aspect about him that really weirds me out :shobon:

ya it's more that he never has any stories with his wife or talks about anything related to that. Even his kids come up from time to time, but never his wife. He's pretty open about everything else, it's odd that he never has a comment on marriage or stories featuring mrs Rogan.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I always just assumed she didn't want him to talk about her, which would be entirely fair. Didn't he say something to the effect of "Mrs Rogan doesn't like when we talk about her on the podcast" at some point early on?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Did anyone listen to today's Duncan Trussel Family Hour?
Joe went on a serious woman hating rant near the end.
Other than that, Duncan's podcast is the best podcast around.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Has he gotten worse with the woman hating lately? It seems like it was only after someone pointed it out here that I started noticing it, so it could just as well be that my brain just somehow glossed over it, would would be pretty embarrassing.
I've only dropped out of watching it regularly in the last few months, before that, I've seen pretty much every episode since the show's early teens.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brekelefuw posted:

Did anyone listen to today's Duncan Trussel Family Hour?
Joe went on a serious woman hating rant near the end.
Other than that, Duncan's podcast is the best podcast around.

Yeah it was an extremely disappointing 3 minutes or so :(

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

jyrka posted:

YES!

Just the guest I need to get back on track after skipping the last 10 or so.

Aaaaah I can't do it. Rogan's so stupid.

Thanks for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

-Atom- posted:

Brody Stevens loving owns and I couldn't be anymore excited for a solo appearance on Rogan's podcast.

Enjoy it!

I though the Brody Stevens episode was terrible. I've never listened to such concentrated, jarring insecurity before. I didn't know who he was and still don't, so maybe part of his appeal is flying right over my head.