Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

steckles posted:

Thanks guys. Just for giggles, I re-rendered the image overnight but with the chamber made of plexiglass.

that copper gasket is totally not going to work
awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Dammit, now I don't want to post anything because of how awesome those two renders are. My stuff just doesn't compare. :saddowns:

Anyway, here's a picture of how my 7-day roguelike is coming along. This is start of day two. I know the color scheme might not be the best idea, but I like it.

For information, those '|'s are spinning blades that spin around their pillar, '*' is a pillar moving left to right. The arrows are traps that move you in the direction the arrow is pointing, but they're hidden until you step on them.

In case it wasn't clear, my theme is 'traps'.

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!
I made a small Chrome extension to automate my lazyness.

You can install it here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jabbkeapemcfjhgeodmjhapnlbecnnco

It turns out that writing Chrome extensions is kind of fun, nothing but JS with a pretty nice (if weirdly documented) API.

Edit: Oh well, turns out this only works correctly on my dev environment (MacOSX Lion), sucks to be me.

iopred fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 11, 2012

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

iopred posted:

I made a small Chrome extension to automate my lazyness.

You can install it here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jabbkeapemcfjhgeodmjhapnlbecnnco

It turns out that writing Chrome extensions is kind of fun, nothing but JS with a pretty nice (if weirdly documented) API.

Edit: Oh well, turns out this only works correctly on my dev environment (MacOSX Lion), sucks to be me.

no because anyone not running the best dev environment doesn't deserve such a great extension anyway :colbert:

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 24, 2020

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!

Contains Acetone posted:

I was annoyed that I couldn't find a color picker that I actually liked so I figured hey wait a minute I can just whip that up in javascript/canvas/css over the weekend.

Features:
    Test input for HSL and RGB values
    Draggable Sliders
    Displays the HSV saturation and value square for a given Hue.
    Fits perfectly in a half screen sized chrome window.
Todo:
    Print color values in the various formats in easy copy/paste format
    Adding point and click select to the HSV square.
    Make it prettier

Neat. I'm quite partial to this one myself. Site owns too.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

What're you using for sliders?

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 24, 2020

mudlord
Feb 11, 2012

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 13, 2012

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I've started working on a new site, for custom PS Vita wallpapers and lockscreens. I'm basing the site design off of the Bootstrap 2.0 framework, which is pretty drat nice, and for a change, it's pretty easy to edit the CSS to make it work the way I want.

So far, I've got partial OpenID support - I'm just using Google and Yahoo for now. I might figure out Facebook later. Also multiple file uploads are working, and I've worked out a nice way of organizing the images - in sets, rather than all individual. This way someone can upload 10 variations of one wallpaper, and keep them organized!

One of the things I have planned is that when you find a wallpaper you like, you can choose to customize it - Add custom labels to your wallpaper, add "zippers" for the lockscreen, Change the hue, that sort of thing. It'll then spit out a cached link for that custom image that you can easily save! Similar to how my older project works. ( http://shmups.info/vert /)

Alternately, have a .zip file download for a whole set.

Here's a screenshot:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
AFAIK Facebook doesn't actually have OpenID support, you have to use their custom crap

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Yea, I know. Apparently it isn't TOO bad, but meh.

Technically, I could have more OpenID things, like Technorati, Blogger, LiveJournal.. but I didn't want to have a godawful ugly "click one of these 10 icons and enter a username on their service to connect" thing. Google and Yahoo just plain work.

Typical OpenID login selector:

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Clavius posted:

Neat. I'm quite partial to this one myself. Site owns too.

good loving lord is that site header irritating

wicked, but irritating

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
EDIT: :facepalm:

http://cgcad.thss.tsinghua.edu.cn/chenjt/isppm/preprint.pdf

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Building a tool to parse makefile-based build systems, analyze them, and convert them to cmake:

The times are kinda screwy since I'm running the demo in a VM on an old laptop, but I think the point comes across well enough. The parser is implemented in Perl (via Makefile::Parser::GMakeDB ), the analyzer in Common Lisp, and the project generator is in C# for the moment. There are obviously a whole host of corner cases that we aren't handling that well yet, but we do handle a few (eg. pure dependencies aren't listed in the build order, nor is the default 'all' target), and my Lisp is atrocious, but so far we're pleased with progress and looking forward to the day when this might be at least an 85% solution to migrate projects away from make & autotools :)

ps slimv is awesome :rock:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Otto Skorzeny posted:

ps slimv is awesome :rock:

Syntax highlighting and lisp make pretty rainbows all over your screen.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

poemdexter posted:

Syntax highlighting and lisp make pretty rainbows all over your screen.

My only regret is that my screen isn't wide enough to do a vertical split between the file and repl windows

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLgw9R8sJVE

Little bit of lua code. Really simple, but the end result is pretty.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

clockwork automaton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLgw9R8sJVE

Little bit of lua code. Really simple, but the end result is pretty.

Hey give me the script since we have the same keyboard.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Here's the gist. Mine defaults to red because that's what I have it generally set at.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

clockwork automaton posted:

Here's the gist. Mine defaults to red because that's what I have it generally set at.

Cool, making some tweaks now. Does the loop break when the profile is deactivated?

Edit: Doesn't look like it. Trying now to find an elegant way to break a loop.

Edit: Moved to simple for loop. https://gist.github.com/2041837

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9-q_CEblZw

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 15, 2012

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

This is a Spaghetti Western styled Metroidvania game I've been working on for the past few months. I haven't done a sprite-based game since I first started programming, so it's been interesting revisiting this sort of stuff with all of the stuff I've learned in the meanwhile.

Not to mention pixel-art is fun as hell to do after doing 3D modeling for so many years!

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

AntiPseudonym posted:

This is a Spaghetti Western styled Metroidvania game I've been working on for the past few months. I haven't done a sprite-based game since I first started programming, so it's been interesting revisiting this sort of stuff with all of the stuff I've learned in the meanwhile.

Not to mention pixel-art is fun as hell to do after doing 3D modeling for so many years!

:3: I like the looks of this.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

AntiPseudonym posted:

This is gorgeous.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
throw in morricone-esque 8-bit music and i'm there :3:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I think I just had a seizure.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

AntiPseudonym posted:

That looks awesome!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Not really a screenshot, but here is something I made while learning javascript/html canvas. Works best in chrome.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

HappyHippo posted:

Not really a screenshot, but here is something I made while learning javascript/html canvas. Works best in chrome.

That was really fun to watch. Wow.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

HappyHippo posted:

This is strangely entertaining...very cool.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

Nice, I love stuff like this. It reminds me of the final project I did in my AI class.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

HappyHippo posted:

That's pretty amazing!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

HappyHippo posted:

Purple started in the corner and was unmolested at first so they ended up wiping out everyone. You've probably seen it happen more often, is there a bias to the corner guys?

EDIT-For some reason it started slowing down, I can't imagine why:

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 18, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

tef posted:

throw in morricone-esque 8-bit music and i'm there :3:

The law requires that games with 16-bit retro pixel art have 8-bit music.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Made a proof-of-concept of a semi-realistic lighting engine for a Roguelike over the weekend. Still a long way to go, but simple direct lighting is working rather well already, and creating a new type of light is as easy as drawing a gradient onto a 256*64 image in Photoshop.

Some screenshots, all in the same area:

Wall-mounted omnidirectional lights.

Bright ceiling light.

Flashlight.

And the pièce de résistance:

:siren:

Up next: Shadow-casting for non-floor-to-ceiling objects (e.g., characters and low walls), diffuse lighting, and reflections if I feel up to it.

From Earth fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 18, 2012

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

From Earth posted:

:D

:3: Preeeety.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

HappyHippo posted:

This is really cool and would make a great lite RTS game. Any plans to make it interactive?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

From Earth posted:

Made a proof-of-concept of a semi-realistic lighting engine for a Roguelike over the weekend. Still a long way to go, but simple direct lighting is working rather well already, and creating a new type of light is as easy as drawing a gradient onto a 256*64 image in Photoshop.

That looks awesome!

Brave Squirrel
Mar 25, 2009

quiggy posted:

This is really cool and would make a great lite RTS game. Any plans to make it interactive?

And some counters to show how many units alive and killed and stuff. And end of round graphs! It's really pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Thanks guys

Scaramouche posted:

Purple started in the corner and was unmolested at first so they ended up wiping out everyone. You've probably seen it happen more often, is there a bias to the corner guys?

EDIT-For some reason it started slowing down, I can't imagine why:

Yeah position is important. So is building new bases at the start.

And yes some games do get ridiculous. I'm thinking about adding nukes - that could prevent that sort of thing.

quiggy posted:

I've been considering a lite RTS. I don't think I'd base it off this though - it isn't grid based and there's no pathfinding at all.