Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I don't really know what you're trying to say here.

I checked H-D rentals in Seattle. $700/wk. A mid-size car is $1000/mo, so no dice. It seems like the American "motorcycles are luxury, not primary transportation" is gonna kill me in the economies of scale department.

Understood--if it's a business trip where you're going to be locked in a consulto-cube for 10 hrs a day, there's hardly any point to having it during the week anyway. I was thinking more along the lines of a weekend run. Not applicable here--my point was, they're available all over the planet. What would Kawasaki charge for an upscale sportbike rental if they were insane enough to take on this business model?

The CL beater idea is way more appealing to me personally. Make it double challenging and use it for the return trip home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Marv Hushman posted:

Understood--if it's a business trip where you're going to be locked in a consulto-cube for 10 hrs a day, there's hardly any point to having it during the week anyway. I was thinking more along the lines of a weekend run. Not applicable here--my point was, they're available all over the planet. What would Kawasaki charge for an upscale sportbike rental if they were insane enough to take on this business model?

The CL beater idea is way more appealing to me personally. Make it double challenging and use it for the return trip home.

Unfortunately, I have to pitch these ideas up to the business office, who signs the paycheck to the company credit card. So "hey man, can you just auth me a grand or so to buy a bike on craigslist" cannot possibly fly. I was trying to get them to sign off on a commute on MY bike, but they didn't OK that one, either. Fly there. Budget Rent-a-car. Fly back. Everyone, everywhere does this. Why do you have to be different? "Because cars suck" apparently isn't valid.

If I could validly get a $1000 CL bike that would make an 1800-mile trip, I'd try to float it by my wife and just scam the company CC somehow. To make the deal something that the number-crunchers would look at seriously, it'd probably have to be a $500 bike, and that is starting to really hurt my chances.

They WERE cool with me renting a Ural for $970 for the month, but the place that rents them only has one to rent, and weren't keen on putting another in rental status just so I could have it for a month.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I talked my job into paying for me to rent a motorcycle on a business trip to Paris last year, but renting any bike of interest in the city turned out to be almost impossible so I shelved the idea until next time.

Snuck a trip to Iceland in on the way home instead, and then used the rental car as more of a rally car than anything else.

Good times.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Or accept you are on a business trip and scamming the company is a crime.

I've been on a ton of business trips where I wanted badly to rent a bike but the sad truth is the logistics suck. I mean just flying with a motorcycle helmet is a pain.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I get paid mileage to commute on my bike :smug:

Its good times.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Unfortunately, I have to pitch these ideas up to the business office

I'd try to float it by my wife

Foiled by a classic pincer movement.

You can't expect risky behavior to be endorsed by the most risk averse forces in your life. No one wants the job or the expense of feeding someone applesauce and reading them Curious George books for the next 50 years. Can you blame them? You're pretty much on your own, and that would include financing the endeavor.

Corporate card/expense account shenanigans will end in tears.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Its good times.

Do they ever wonder why your bike fuel consumption is higher than the cars?

:v: "My commute is 300km long through UNFORTUNATE twisties!"

:( "But you live around the corner.."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shimrod posted:

Do they ever wonder why your bike fuel consumption is higher than the cars?

:v: "My commute is 300km long through UNFORTUNATE twisties!"

:( "But you live around the corner.."

As mentioned above, messing with expense accounts/mileage/corporate cards is a recipe for unemployment, so I just take my good fortunes at face value and do my regular commute on the bike rather than in the car.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I have a Ninja 250 with 14k miles on it and the air filter had never been touched.

I went to replace the air filter today and the old one was a bitch to get out because it literally fell apart in my hands. Everytime I grabbed a piece of the old filter it fell apart into a soggy mushy oily mess. Eventually I removed the entirety of the old filter and put the new one in.

I'm guessing the previous owner just oversaturated the filter or something, would a filter soaked in oil have caused any problems to the rest of the bike?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 16, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm honestly looking to phase out my car since I never use except for when it's raining (and only because I have leathers and not a touring setup yet). If I am to have one motorcycle for everything, meaning twisties, commuting everywhere, groceries, and 400-500 mile trips every so often, what are my options? I am happy with my SV650, but I'll say that it's pretty cramped, especially for long distances.

This won't happen for at least a year or so, but I might as well start research now. I figure I'll have about $6k. So far, the best candidate I have found for this is the Honda VFR800ABS non-vtec, but any insight would be awesome, including "keep the SV, get Givi cases and bar risers and a higher seat for your lanky rear end"

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
6k gets you a nice BMW R. My wife has a 2002 R1150r and it is a flawless torque machine. Nice factory luggage options and easy maintenance too.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Xovaan posted:

I'm honestly looking to phase out my car since I never use except for when it's raining (and only because I have leathers and not a touring setup yet). If I am to have one motorcycle for everything, meaning twisties, commuting everywhere, groceries, and 400-500 mile trips every so often, what are my options? I am happy with my SV650, but I'll say that it's pretty cramped, especially for long distances.

This won't happen for at least a year or so, but I might as well start research now. I figure I'll have about $6k. So far, the best candidate I have found for this is the Honda VFR800ABS non-vtec, but any insight would be awesome, including "keep the SV, get Givi cases and bar risers and a higher seat for your lanky rear end"

With that want list and your size, have you given any thought to the bigger Sport Tourers - the ST1300, FJR, Concourse 14, etc? The only thing they don't do really well is lane split and they tend to be on the heavy side of the scale, so I don't know if that is much help.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm pretty much addicted to lanesplitting in all the bad ways. It's like living real life with noclip. I'd prefer something I could remove the side bags on and have no issue lane splitting in traffic/up to stoplights when I'm just around town but still have the option for side bags when necessary, hence my idea of the VFR800. My friend has a newer Concours 14 though and that thing is super nice and the ST1300 doesn't look half bad either.

The R1150R looks pretty interesting, but aren't BMW's in general extremely expensive to maintain?

How much is insurance on sport-tourers versus standards? As it stands, my car is only $18/month to cover so it's almost nothing to keep around, but it gets 16/city and 23 highway. :smith:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Xovaan posted:

am happy with my SV650

I use my SV for everything other than Sam's Club runs because I buy too much poo poo. I have soft bags for travel, once piece suit for comfort in pretty much any weather Tennessee has and a corbin seat for comfort. I've done 800 mile days on it, sure it isn't a nice touring BMW but it wasn't that bad.

If I was looking to make the next step up I'd be looking at a VFR or FJR personally.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Tuono :w00t:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The Tuonos are goddamned sweet. But what's the real difference between the V4R and a 1000R with the new Rotax engine they put in? And aren't they even more expensive to maintain than BMW's?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Hey dudes, picked up a Yamaha FZR-R 250cc bike, and my google-fu is failing me - is there a difference between the FZR and the FZR-R?

The only FZR-R I could find via google was a 400cc version of the FZR.

e:The FZR250 was produced from 1986 to 1988. 1989 to 1994 models were called FZR250R and gained Yamaha's exhaust power valve technology - EXUP (EXhaust Ultimate Power).

I swear I checked Wikipedia earlier ...

Thanks anyhow.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 18, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

More Rs in the name, more :argh: in the game.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ola posted:

More Rs in the name, more :argh: in the game.

If that's the case, it kind of surprises me that people don't turn their Busas into HayabusaRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Shimrod posted:

HayabusaRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The sound of the welds breaking on a poorly-extended swingarm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bucephalus posted:

The sound of the welds breaking on a poorly-extended swingarm.

The sound of a checking account being overdrawn to buy a 300mm rear tire that will be ruined in a burnout within 15 minutes of install

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I decided to entirely remove my electric starter and associated hardware. Now I have an unused pushbutton on my handlebar that closes a circuit carrying 12 volts at a couple of amps. What new, fun thing should I connect it to?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

I decided to entirely remove my electric starter and associated hardware. Now I have an unused pushbutton on my handlebar that closes a circuit carrying 12 volts at a couple of amps. What new, fun thing should I connect it to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmaMNZTNEZY

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

You may want thicker gauge wiring, or re-use the existing solenoid relay system, before you do this. This kit says it draws 23 Amps at 12 volts.

I used my existing starter button as a secondary horn button when I did my complete rewire. Honking with either hand has come in handy for... ahem... expressing my current attitude to other drivers when they do something shitfuck stupid.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Anyone have a link to a good article on starting out on a 250? I've got a friend back in the States who wants to get into riding, she's already got a helmet and jacket. All the bros she talks to have told her to skip getting a 250 and start on a 600, because she'll "outgrow it in a few months". She's about 5'7" and pretty slender, I imagine it'd be at least a 60-75 pound weight reduction from your average dude off the bat. She just enjoys being on a bike and isn't into riding like a maniac.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Its good times.

I just started, looking to pocket about $100/mo in savings over the bus fare. I've had the bike for a while, but my contracting organization didn't want me riding to work (despite having no legal right to make that kind of restriction, and they also told me I couldn't get one to ride on the weekends either, again without legal basis). I tried being a nice guy and working something out with them for months, but despite being 0% in the right they wouldn't budge and continued to dick me over at every opportunity for no good reason, so now they get nothing out of me, compromise-wise. Since I've re-upped my contract they can't really do anything to me for another 18 months if/when they find out, and the law is on my side anyways. I doubt they'll find out unless I let them know, I work an hour away from them and my schools have no reason to mention it.

I guess this would sound egregious to most people (I work in Japan), but aside from my actual bosses in the prefectural government, everything else at my job i

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 19, 2012

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I guess this would sound egregious to most people (I work in Japan), but aside from my actual bosses in the prefectural government, everything else at my job i
...is Yakuza controlled, apparently.

Can we have a moment of silence for Pompous Rhombus...
...and a HELLS YEAH for the ninjas that just snuck in and killed him stone cold silent dead mid post.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Anyone have a link to a good article on starting out on a 250? I've got a friend back in the States who wants to get into riding, she's already got a helmet and jacket. All the bros she talks to have told her to skip getting a 250 and start on a 600, because she'll "outgrow it in a few months". She's about 5'7" and pretty slender, I imagine it'd be at least a 60-75 pound weight reduction from your average dude off the bat. She just enjoys being on a bike and isn't into riding like a maniac.

The 250 is lighter, easier to handle, easier to pick up if it gets dropped, still does 0-60 in 5 seconds, and will make those guys look like assholes after she gets comfortable riding it. And it'll do ~105 mph, so it's no slouch either. And 60mpg. And cheap, and if she buys one that's used and has already been dropped, she can probably sell it for what she bought it for when she upgrades, if she upgrades. There's no losing with the drat things.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I love my little 250. I have zero plans whatsoever to upgrade to a bigger bike.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Y'all are gonna have me talked into an EX250 if I ever find one for next to nothing.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Bucephalus posted:

Y'all are gonna have me talked into an EX250 if I ever find one for next to nothing.

I'd love a 250 exup, the only reason I can see buying another bike over 600 cc's is for riding 2 up. Lightweight, small bikes are so much stupid fun to ride.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

So how many of you actually stop for the police on the highway? When I am trying to bang a buck-fifty most of them don't even bother to put their lights on if I roll past, especially speed traps.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, this will go well.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, this will go well.

http://i.imgur.com/T9M6W.gif

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Apple2o posted:

So how many of you actually stop for the police on the highway? When I am trying to bang a buck-fifty most of them don't even bother to put their lights on if I roll past, especially speed traps.

Go away

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Apple2o posted:

Dont even try. Mootmoot was a better troll than you ever will be

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Apple2o posted:

I'm going to open myself up for ridicule and I deserve it.

In 2009 I was heading up to Paso Robles from San Luis on the 101. I was doing around 80 in the left hand lane in a 65 zone. I saw the cop and knew he was going to come after me, but he was on the other side of the interstate and had to wait for traffic to make a turn across. I went around a corner about 10 seconds after I passed the cop and lit it up. (I was on the R1) I was doing around 165 on the interstate up the grade for about 4 miles. I looked back down from the top of the mountain and didn't see the cop so I backed off it down to 80 mph. I turned around not 45 seconds later and he was right on my rear end.

He didn't ever catch me running at high speed, I got a ticket for 80 in a 65, wearing earbuds and expired registration. I don't know if he ever realized I got on the gas and ran away, but he didn't say anything.

Afterwards I realized how stupid I had been and how dangerous it was for everyone on the road. I swore I would reign my speed in and if I couldn't I would get rid of my ability to speed. 2 months later I sold the R1 and bought a truck that tops out at 65mph. I won't ever go back to a literbike for full time riding, I know I can't be trusted with the power.

Next time you're feeling like a badass and thinking about running, remember cop cars aren't normal cars. They are very worked over and can hit speeds in excess of 140 mph. The cops have taken several hours of driving classes and you can bet that even if you outrun the one on your tail, you can't outrun a Motorola and you won't even know the chopper is there.

Tickets annoy, but speed kills. Don't end up being a statistic please.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I'm going to open myself up for ridicule and I deserve it.

In 2009 I was heading up to Paso Robles from San Luis on the 101. I was doing around 80 in the left hand lane in a 65 zone. I saw the cop and knew he was going to come after me, but he was on the other side of the interstate and had to wait for traffic to make a turn across. I went around a corner about 10 seconds after I passed the cop and lit it up. (I was on the R1) I was doing around 165 on the interstate up the grade for about 4 miles. I looked back down from the top of the mountain and didn't see the cop so I backed off it down to 80 mph. I turned around not 45 seconds later and he was right on my rear end.

He didn't ever catch me running at high speed, I got a ticket for 80 in a 65, wearing earbuds and expired registration. I don't know if he ever realized I got on the gas and ran away, but he didn't say anything.

Afterwards I realized how stupid I had been and how dangerous it was for everyone on the road. I swore I would reign my speed in and if I couldn't I would get rid of my ability to speed. 2 months later I sold the R1 and bought a truck that tops out at 65mph. I won't ever go back to a literbike for full time riding, I know I can't be trusted with the power.

Next time you're feeling like a badass and thinking about running, remember cop cars aren't normal cars. They are very worked over and can hit speeds in excess of 140 mph. The cops have taken several hours of driving classes and you can bet that even if you outrun the one on your tail, you can't outrun a Motorola and you won't even know the chopper is there.

Tickets annoy, but speed kills. Don't end up being a statistic please.

Acknowledging a mistake and learning a lesson does not open you up to ridicule.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

The R1150R looks pretty interesting, but aren't BMW's in general extremely expensive to maintain?

Rs can be fiddly if they're out of tune but on the upside, the valves are the most accessible imaginable, and the throttle bodies are super easy to sync. The wife complains about parts cost but the routine stuff is simple enough that she does all her own work.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

orthod0ks posted:

Acknowledging a mistake and learning a lesson does not open you up to ridicule.

Yeah, but being young and stupid is only OK if you survive to old age. heh

I did learn my lesson though and I've already geared the DRZ down. You know you have an issue when a stock DRZ is going to make you lose your license on speed alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought I'd post this here too since the tire thread is a bit of a backwater --

Do you have to use inner tubes with exactly the same dimensions as your tire, or is there some leeway? For instance, my front tire is a 19" 90/100, but I can't find that size, only a 70/100 and 100/90. The rear is an 18" 110/80, but I can only find 110/100s. On my bicycles I always just go for "close enough" and pick the smaller size, but I don't know if that's appropriate for a motorcycle.