Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Apple2o posted:

So how many of you actually stop for the police on the highway? When I am trying to bang a buck-fifty most of them don't even bother to put their lights on if I roll past, especially speed traps.

hell ya bro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxb3MxusOKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

slidebite posted:

hell ya bro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxb3MxusOKA

My MSF had a bunch of smug 18-year-olds who could just barely contain spouting on about GIXXAHs and TYTE STUNTAZ and poo poo. That video should be required viewing.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

quote:

Air 2 tracked 12 speeding motorcycles in three incidents that resulted in five bikes being impounded and 14 tickets issued to 10 riders.

So did the last two get away or what?

E: Canadians.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I did learn my lesson though and I've already geared the DRZ down. You know you have an issue when a stock DRZ is going to make you lose your license on speed alone.

Wheelies get you in trouble too :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bixington posted:

So did the last two get away or what?

E: Canadians.

mootmoot and Apple2o were the other 2

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Hypnolobster posted:

Wheelies get you in trouble too :v:

I know...:frogsiren:

I try to keep the crazyness limited to off-road now. It was a big driver in purchasing the DRZ.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In Ontario, a 10mph wheelie in a parking lot theoretically gets a $10,000 fine with instant vehicle impoundment and license suspension, because it's classified under street racing. There was an article in the paper a while back about a local guy who got hit with the same fine for squealing his tires out of a red light -- "excessive acceleration".

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

In Ontario, a 10mph wheelie in a parking lot theoretically gets a $10,000 fine with instant vehicle impoundment and license suspension, because it's classified under street racing. There was an article in the paper a while back about a local guy who got hit with the same fine for squealing his tires out of a red light -- "excessive acceleration".

I popped a wheelie for a cop right after I changed my gearing. I knew the cop though and had been talking up my bike with him at court for a week. I saw him pulled over pretending to radar people and stopped to chat. Bastard scared me good, right after I did it for him he flipped the lights on and told me he had me on tape before laughing his rear end off at me freaking out.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Would y'all run this on your own bikes?

I ordered this and when I thought about installing on the weekend saw this. I dont think that I did it (I dont remember dropping it but I have hit my head a few times.. it looks like it was dropped on concrete and It hasn't been outside my house with wood floors since I bought it), but if this is something which can be cleaned up with a file and not cause any issues down the road then I won't be concerned about it.

The place I bought it from has offered to return, but if its still serviceable...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

GanjamonII posted:

Would y'all run this on your own bikes?

I ordered this and when I thought about installing on the weekend saw this. I dont think that I did it (I dont remember dropping it but I have hit my head a few times.. it looks like it was dropped on concrete and It hasn't been outside my house with wood floors since I bought it), but if this is something which can be cleaned up with a file and not cause any issues down the road then I won't be concerned about it.

The place I bought it from has offered to return, but if its still serviceable...

Return it, the peace of mind isn't worth the risk imo.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yep, send it back. If I was on a trip and found that, I'd file it smooth and ride with it. But on a fresh set, nope.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Next time you're feeling like a badass and thinking about running, remember cop cars aren't normal cars. They are very worked over and can hit speeds in excess of 140 mph.

This is completely not true. There are some differences (like the removal of the speed limiter) but the engines are essentially the same as the civilian equivalent models.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

This is completely not true. There are some differences (like the removal of the speed limiter) but the engines are essentially the same as the civilian equivalent models.

Gotta get the cop enginealternator bro!

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Return it, the peace of mind isn't worth the risk imo.

Ola posted:

Yep, send it back. If I was on a trip and found that, I'd file it smooth and ride with it. But on a fresh set, nope.

That was quick! I'll be doing this then.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

`Nemesis posted:

According to my buddy out at the county yard the chargers they have here are not stock. They have a custom fuel map and a larger air box. I believe most chargers can hit 140 stock without the speed limiter, my little Mini would do it and was nowhere near as powerful. Cop cars are heavier though due to electronics, larger fuel tanks and a different wheel/tire combo than stock. I think the suspension is upgraded as well.

Cop cars haul rear end either way.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
It may depend on your location, but where I'm at in FL, the cops use Dodge Chargers and yes, they are VERY upgraded. Being all the added weight they carry, Dodge issues them a special package where interceptors have buffed up engines. If they didn't, anyone in a comparable car could run and easily get away because of the lighter car.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
This conversation might be overestimating the extent to which cop cars really "give chase." Why chase after them, encouraging them to drive even faster and more recklessly while also putting yourself in danger (and other road users, since now there are 2 speeding vehicles)? It's all about radios.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This conversation might be overestimating the extent to which cop cars really "give chase." Why chase after them, encouraging them to drive even faster and more recklessly while also putting yourself in danger (and other road users, since now there are 2 speeding vehicles)? It's all about radios.

Quoting my CHP buddy, "Dude, we live for that poo poo."

Cops like to go fast too and chasing your rear end is a REALLY good excuse/reason. Dispatch will call off the chase depending on traffic conditions. They don't have to catch you and pit you themselves, they just try to keep you in sight to radio ahead.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Anyone have a link to a good article on starting out on a 250?

This site may help, and has a number of similar articles and reviews:
http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/top-5-reasons-start-250cc-motorcycle

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Probably not the right thread for an extended discussion about it, so this is my last word about it... but no, they're not upgraded or modified.

It's a very persistent myth/rumor, but I have hands on experience with squad cars and they're nothing special. They might be using SRT-8's in Florida (and other jurisdictions), but that would be the extent of it.

Everything you ever wanted to know about police cars & their performance: http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-__1564__1564-16274--,00.html

Modified cop cars only increase liability to the government (city, state, county, etc) while costing more in fuel and killing the factory warranty.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Cops could cruise around in freaking Metros. You can't outrun a radio.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I just started, looking to pocket about $100/mo in savings over the bus fare. I've had the bike for a while, but my contracting organization didn't want me riding to work (despite having no legal right to make that kind of restriction, and they also told me I couldn't get one to ride on the weekends either, again without legal basis).

In 2009, a newly-licensed worker from a foreign land lost control of his speeding POS Civic and hit a loaded gas tanker which proceeded to jackknife and explode, destroying an overpass in the process. Let's forget for a moment that he tried to leave the scene, wouldn't apologize (initially), and had the balls to try to avoid the $150 speeding ticket when it ultimately cost you, the taxpayer, $12 million and change.

Within 24 hours of this episode, my contract house wanted everyone's license, insurance co info, what they drove, where they drove it, how often, etc.

Call me cynical, but I couldn't help but draw a connection between the two things. Extraordinary events shift the boundaries of what is acceptable and what is legal. Their motive was simply to preserve themselves as a going concern because when poo poo like this hits the fan, the ones with the deep pockets get served. And when people die, you generally can't dip into federal highway funds to pay for funerals.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

These stories of oppressive megacorps in a dystopic future makes me want to play Syndicate.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

`Nemesis posted:

Probably not the right thread for an extended discussion about it, so this is my last word about it... but no, they're not upgraded or modified.

It's a very persistent myth/rumor, but I have hands on experience with squad cars and they're nothing special. They might be using SRT-8's in Florida (and other jurisdictions), but that would be the extent of it.

Everything you ever wanted to know about police cars & their performance: http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-__1564__1564-16274--,00.html

Modified cop cars only increase liability to the government (city, state, county, etc) while costing more in fuel and killing the factory warranty.

That website seems to be Michigan specific.

http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/charger.html
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/oct2006/bw20061016_314763.htm?chan=autos_autos+index+page_news

Right there are 2 pages which blatantly state that there IS such a thing as a 'police package', and although it has a lot to do with the aesthetics of the car itself, the engine itself is ALWAYS buffed up.

quote:

For example, Dodge's standard rear-wheel-drive police Charger, which has an MSRP of $26,825, comes with a 3.5-liter V6 that produces 250 horses, and the car is certified to operate at speeds up to 150 mph, whereas the entry-level $21,575 Charger SE available to civilians has a 2.7-liter V6 and 190 horses.

quote:

For 2009, the Dodge Charger police version got an upgraded Hemi engine with variable cam timing and numerous performance and reliability upgrades; Hemi power went up to 368 horsepower and 395 lb.-ft. of torque, and gas mileage was rated at 16 city, 25 highway.

Like I said, there are DEFINITELY police packages offered by the makers of the squad cars.

For info on each individual package available to departments (Squad Car, Pursuit Car etc.), go here.

Edit: Also, fuel economy is actually BETTER with the police package.

quote:

The V6 has 50-state certification for optional E85 flex-fuel compatibility. A 5 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty is included. Hemi gas mileage has been increased somewhat through “interactive deceleration fuel shutoff,” which cuts all fuel to the engine around 5% - 8% of the time the Charger is moving (according to Police Fleet Manager).

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 20, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EZipperelli posted:

For example, Dodge's standard rear-wheel-drive police Charger, which has an MSRP of $26,825, comes with a 3.5-liter V6 that produces 250 horses

Except you can buy a civilian Charger with that same engine, and also a different civilian version with a BIGGER engine. Yes, it's technically still a unique police version, but the spirit of the "cop package" stuff is that they get a more powerful car than civilians have access to as an ace in the sleeve. Which isn't the case here.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
gently caress da police....poo poo

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

People who run from cops in the day of helicopters, GPS tracking, police radio relay, and bloody satellites are absolute knobheads.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So I have gone back and forth about whether to post this question but whatever here it goes.

I got my first bike when I was 17, Honda CBR F2. Took my MSF class and was comfortable riding. Had the bike till I was 21/22 and ended up wrecking it when I was driving through my college town with potholes and crappy streets galore. I am now 25 about to be 26 and am thinking about getting another bike. Some of my friends have had their bikes this whole time and I have been missing mine forever. The problem I seem to be having is, I am 'scared' (that isn't the right word, but I don't know what is) that I will wreck my next bike again. I broke my wrist and screwed up my ankle last time but didn't really get any bad injuries.

Is there a good way to get over this? Also I started looking up counter-steering and now I can't stop thinking about it which is making me think when I'm riding and a car cuts me off instead of pushing the handle bar Im going to pull or something and wreck.

Any advice or pointers for me?

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

fyallm posted:

So I have gone back and forth about whether to post this question but whatever here it goes.

I got my first bike when I was 17, Honda CBR F2. Took my MSF class and was comfortable riding. Had the bike till I was 21/22 and ended up wrecking it when I was driving through my college town with potholes and crappy streets galore. I am now 25 about to be 26 and am thinking about getting another bike. Some of my friends have had their bikes this whole time and I have been missing mine forever. The problem I seem to be having is, I am 'scared' (that isn't the right word, but I don't know what is) that I will wreck my next bike again. I broke my wrist and screwed up my ankle last time but didn't really get any bad injuries.

Is there a good way to get over this? Also I started looking up counter-steering and now I can't stop thinking about it which is making me think when I'm riding and a car cuts me off instead of pushing the handle bar Im going to pull or something and wreck.

Any advice or pointers for me?

Counter steering is intuitive and natural. You'd have to try to really gently caress it up (and you wouldn't be turning). If you're nervous, maybe taking another shot at the MSF might help you decide one way or another, or take a more advanced course if you snag a bike first.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Picking up a small dirtbike and putting around in fields/trails for a few months would be a great way to get your confidence back.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
My buddy let's me ride his F3 around sometimes and the 'fear' goes away, but even when I had my bike I didn't feel 'comfortable' while going around turns at a high rate of speed / sharp turns. I think there is an advanced MSF class here but I think that one requires you to have a bike.

Another problem is I told myself the next bike I buy is my dream bike (repsol) I know it's exactly the same as a 1000rr, and I could just buy the repsol replica fairings but I absolutely love the bike, but paying that much for a bike I wouldn't want this feeling.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

fyallm posted:

My buddy let's me ride his F3 around sometimes and the 'fear' goes away, but even when I had my bike I didn't feel 'comfortable' while going around turns at a high rate of speed / sharp turns. I think there is an advanced MSF class here but I think that one requires you to have a bike.

Another problem is I told myself the next bike I buy is my dream bike (repsol) I know it's exactly the same as a 1000rr, and I could just buy the repsol replica fairings but I absolutely love the bike, but paying that much for a bike I wouldn't want this feeling.

If you don't feel comfortable going around corners at high rates of speed then go slower.

Also if you are feeling nervous about riding again than buying/riding a superbike is idiotic. Consider taking the basic MSF again to regain your confidence, and buy a more reasonable bike. You will have plenty of time in your life to get your dream bike

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

quote:

Consider taking the basic MSF again to regain your confidence, and buy a more reasonable bike.

Agreed:

Get a second hand DRZ-400SM, do an MSF or local equivalent.
Bomb around on that til you get your mojo back (no bike inspires confidence like a motard).
Sell the DRZ for near enough what you paid and put it towards the repsol decide you don't want the repsol anyway and come over to the dong-side

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

ReelBigLizard posted:

Agreed:

Get a second hand DRZ-400SM, do an MSF or local equivalent.
Bomb around on that til you get your mojo back (no bike inspires confidence like a motard).
Sell the DRZ for near enough what you paid and put it towards the repsol decide you don't want the repsol anyway and come over to the dong-side

The place around me lets you use their bikes for the MSF. The DRZ-400SM is a little to ehhh for me to buy. There is just a special place in my heart for Honda's and always will be, and the repsol is just so amazingly beautiful.

MY GIRLFRIEND is wanting to learn to ride and wants a bike, so maybe I can get a 250 build up my confidence then give her the bike. Are the CBR250R's decent bikes she could learn on and continue to ride? Or would she outgrow it quick?

fyallm fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 20, 2012

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

fyallm posted:

The DRZ-400SM is a little to ehhh for me to buy.

ehhh?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

fyallm posted:

The place around me lets you use their bikes for the MSF. The DRZ-400SM is a little to ehhh for me to buy. There is just a special place in my heart for Honda's and always will be, and the repsol is just so amazingly beautiful.

MY GIRLFRIEND is wanting to learn to ride and wants a bike, so maybe I can get a 250 build up my confidence then give her the bike. Are the CBR250R's decent bikes she could learn on and continue to ride? Or would she outgrow it quick?

Grrrr, stupid thing just ate my post!

You are not ready for your dream bike. Take it from somebody who has been there, wrecked that and road rashed the t-shirt. If you think you're "scared" of a bike now you have no idea what that literbike is going to do to you. You're going to be way slower than all of your friends because your uncomfortable. A literbike isn't a bike you become comfortable on, it's one that you need to be comfortable to be on.

We just went through this with Sir Moot, the hivemind was NOT wrong.

A DRZ would be perfect for you with the added benefit of once you got comfortable you could pass it on to the GF to ride. It will hold it's value and when you want to get rid of it, you should have no problems getting most of what you paid for out of it. They are durable, quick in the corners, easy to ride, stupid amounts of fun and bitches dig motards! :frogc00l:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0felQ839Gq4

If you're trying to be macho and get a "big" bike consider a KTM 690 SMC or one of the exc's that's been plated. I know you said you have friends that ride and that's awesome. If you're trying to be fast and keep up in the corners you're doing it wrong. You will never be as fast if you're trying to learn on a liter bike versus if you start on even a Ninja 250. Others around here will tell you this is for real.

If you hopped on a repsol and Z3n hopped on a DRZ or even a Ninja 250 my money would be on him hands down making it through the corners quicker. Sure you can't do 180 mph on a 250, but you can maintain all your speed and go WoT the minute you start going upright. Truly besides ego/style there is no reason you should be buying a literbike. You'll only get to use that power when you get out on the track, and once you get to the track the 250's will make you look silly.

Please understand, I'm really trying not to be negative. I want you to ride and have a great time, but I want you to live more. Everyone here told me the same thing and I ignored them, don't be a dipshit like I was please.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

You are not ready for your dream bike. Take it from somebody who has been there, wrecked that and road rashed the t-shirt. If you think you're "scared" of a bike now you have no idea what that literbike is going to do to you. You're going to be way slower than all of your friends because your uncomfortable. A literbike isn't a bike you become comfortable on, it's one that you need to be comfortable to be on.

I don't mean scared as in, to much power or anything like that, just scared of dropping the bike.

quote:

A DRZ would be perfect for you with the added benefit of once you got comfortable you could pass it on to the GF to ride. It will hold it's value and when you want to get rid of it, you should have no problems getting most of what you paid for out of it.

I am just not into Dirt Bike looking Bikes.

quote:

If you're trying to be macho and get a "big" bike consider a KTM 690 SMC or one of the exc's that's been plated. I know you said you have friends that ride and that's awesome. If you're trying to be fast and keep up in the corners you're doing it wrong. You will never be as fast if you're trying to learn on a liter bike versus if you start on even a Ninja 250. Others around here will tell you this is for real.

I wouldn't consider myself trying to be macho, I just think the repsol is the most beautiful bike made. And no I didn't care about not being as fast at them, I was just trying to say I could never get comfortable leaning super far during a turn so i would slow down a decent amount.

quote:

Truly besides ego/style there is no reason you should be buying a literbike. You'll only get to use that power when you get out on the track, and once you get to the track the 250's will make you look silly.

The only reason is for the style. My buddies don't really care what I own they just want me to have a bike.

quote:

Please understand, I'm really trying not to be negative. I want you to ride and have a great time, but I want you to live more. Everyone here told me the same thing and I ignored them, don't be a dipshit like I was please.

I definitively get the don't die thing. One of my close relatives is a flight nurse, so I hear all the truly horrific horror stories so I get all of that. It really isn't about the speed it's about the look of the bike/styling and just knowing what the bike is capable of.

I can't really put into words what I'm 'scared' of and actually I haven't mentioned it to my friends cause I don't know how to explain it but I was hoping typing it out would help, but I don't think it did.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

fyallm posted:

I don't mean scared as in, to much power or anything like that, just scared of dropping the bike.

I am just not into Dirt Bike looking Bikes.

I wouldn't consider myself trying to be macho, I just think the repsol is the most beautiful bike made. And no I didn't care about not being as fast at them, I was just trying to say I could never get comfortable leaning super far during a turn so i would slow down a decent amount.

The only reason is for the style. My buddies don't really care what I own they just want me to have a bike.

I definitively get the don't die thing. One of my close relatives is a flight nurse, so I hear all the truly horrific horror stories so I get all of that. It really isn't about the speed it's about the look of the bike/styling and just knowing what the bike is capable of.

I can't really put into words what I'm 'scared' of and actually I haven't mentioned it to my friends cause I don't know how to explain it but I was hoping typing it out would help, but I don't think it did.

Ok, if that's what you want to do I have a really simple request. Please get a GoPro and record yourself. If you pull a moot and wreck it we'd really like video evidence for the next person that comes through.

Good luck man, be safe.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

...don't be a dipshit like I was please.

I just reckoned something like a motard would be great for getting confidence back, it's upright, easy to ride and so very much more forgiving than a sports bike, even a 250cc. Also, if you're rusty, and nervous, there's a really good chance you're going to bin it, probably not in a dangerous way, but possibly an expensive way with such a bike as a Repsol RR. A ninja, a CBR250, GS500 even SV650 or some smaller v-twins would be a way saner option. In my experience bikes are at their most fun when you are capable of maxing them out.

See: mootmoot loving up his previously beautiful Daytona, Ponies ate my Bagel binning his lovely R1 and practically every other crash thread on other, more squid-tolerant, forums.

You can bin a sumo, pick it up, keep riding, then sell it at the end of the road at the same it was worth at the start of the road. Get good then go large, the odds are stacked against you the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Put it this way: Dont start on a Repsol CBR1000, or any CBR1000, or any 1000cc sportbike, really.