Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Scirocco Griffon posted:

Turn 10 will be giving away stuff during the 12 Hours of Sebring today. Yet another chance for a unicorn car!

Also, they spotted this which may be on the track at some point:

Every goddamn time they do one of these community things it's while I'm at work. I might be able to catch the end of the 12 hours, but it seems like these things cater to the student/unemployed demographic. There's never any in the evening.

Also, I got the launch car pack last night. Does the Honda CR-Z count as a hybrid? And for the BTCC race, can you upgrade the battery components?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No Forza for me today, i'm plopping myself down in front of the t.v. and watching the entire 12 hours of Sebring.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Every goddamn time they do one of these community things it's while I'm at work. I might be able to catch the end of the 12 hours, but it seems like these things cater to the student/unemployed demographic. There's never any in the evening.

Also, I got the launch car pack last night. Does the Honda CR-Z count as a hybrid? And for the BTCC race, can you upgrade the battery components?

I believe yes, the CRZ is valid for BTCC, you can upgrade the battery parts but only up to stage 2. At least, that's how the one I built came out. Comes to A584 if memory serves.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

GOD IS BED posted:

I believe yes, the CRZ is valid for BTCC, you can upgrade the battery parts but only up to stage 2. At least, that's how the one I built came out.

I think the Prius is the only hybrid that can recieve major tuning upgrades (aside from the Tesla, but who cares about that thing), all the other hybrids seem to top out in D class or lower.

Which is disappointing, because building something along the lines of this CR-Z right here would be crazy awesome.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

GOD IS BED posted:

I believe yes, the CRZ is valid for BTCC, you can upgrade the battery parts but only up to stage 2. At least, that's how the one I built came out. Comes to A584 if memory serves.
I did one last night that came to A585 without doing the battery upgrade. I upgraded the cams to stage 2 and did all the other engine mods and all the other required mods. Seems to me like if battery upgrades are allowed on top of that, it would push into S class.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

How are people making the 69 Camaro into S Class without being under 3600 pounds? I can't figure it out...

AzraelDM
Feb 26, 2011
Monstrous bling wheels.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

AzraelDM posted:

Monstrous bling wheels.

This. Lexani and DUB wheels increase weight rather than reduce it, and if you factor in the additional weight from widening tires and increasing rim sizes to 20" or more, that's probably an extra 50 or so pounds from tires alone.

This and adding heavy street aero when applicable was one of the most widely exploited ways of gaming the PI system in Forza 3, since you could always shave a good amount of that weight back off with lots of racing parts.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
3 cars so far and I can't break into the 16's (I managed to do it once on a fluke in my Country Squire but it wasn't fast enough to beat the challenge). Somebody, please help - call me, email me, msg me or post here whatever. I don't know how to tune a drag car. I managed to find a very crude guide online that helped but I need to fine tune somewhere.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Someone here said they used a T-bird, so I tried that. I just swapped in the GT500 engine and every engine upgrade, then threw on some big rims and anything else that would add weight (it was at like 3602 lbs or so). I can't get a good launch, but I was able to beat the target time.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Found myself a little exploit car that no one else seems to be using. Take the BMW E30 M3 at C356, add full Forza aero, race differential, and a full roll cage to get it down to D350. Add some sway bars or whatever you fancy. Ok it's not as good as those fuckers in the Chevy Spark or whatever else but it's the fastest D class car I've came up with :v:

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

speedtek posted:

3 cars so far and I can't break into the 16's (I managed to do it once on a fluke in my Country Squire but it wasn't fast enough to beat the challenge). Somebody, please help - call me, email me, msg me or post here whatever. I don't know how to tune a drag car. I managed to find a very crude guide online that helped but I need to fine tune somewhere.

If you just want to save yourself a lot of headache, go to the Most Downloaded section of the storefront and there's at like three tuning files designed specifically for beating the community challenge.

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

The big key points are 1) don't hit the bump in turn 12, and 2) keep low and don't hit the grass. You don't have to be right down on the grass, there is some room for error, but if you take a line that is too high, you'll find yourself backing off the throttle and not getting the speed you need. If you want some practice with taking those corners, just fire up a stocker and take it around the Brickyard Oval a few times until you find where the groove is. It'll be in the same place (just backwards) with the F1 layout.

Otherwise, I'd say getting that 6-7 mess is more difficult than 11-12-13.

I just set a time of 1:32:050 which, for now, is good enough to beat 'ol Juan Pab. I owe this entirely to your advice on how to take this last stretch. Thank you.

For those keeping score I now have a beautifully painted Lancia in my garage and hopefully a new unicorn coming to me in April. If you ever need help moving or something, uh, let me know.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I really regret getting rid of my MS wireless wheel and want to pickup another one but don't want to drop 500+ for a full on Fanatec wheel.

I see that their Porsche GT2 version works on both 360 and PS3. Does that work on PC too? I'm not wanting to go for a full setup so paddle shift is fine for me.

Anyone here use the GT2 version and care to comment on its quality?

Puddin fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 18, 2012

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
The GT2 is amazing, easily the coolest toy I own. It feels great, has little noise, the thing is solid. I use the wheel stand, which is excellent quality too. It does work with the PC, but I haven't used it for that yet. If the price is doable for you, I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I loving love digital camo. Also this car.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

T1g4h posted:

I loving love digital camo. Also this car.
That owns so hard. Shame I can't really tune for poo poo or I'd do something like that to race with.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

GOD IS BED posted:

The GT2 is amazing, easily the coolest toy I own. It feels great, has little noise, the thing is solid. I use the wheel stand, which is excellent quality too. It does work with the PC, but I haven't used it for that yet. If the price is doable for you, I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Thanks man, I've looked into it a bit now and its going to cost me like $700AUD just for that kind of setup which is way to much for me to justify.

Sucks that the Logitech ones don't work, G27's are pretty cheap nowadays and that's probably about my limit for something like that.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

tehsid posted:

That owns so hard. Shame I can't really tune for poo poo or I'd do something like that to race with.

What you need is the Forza Motorsport Tuning Calculator.

I don't think I've seen any mention of it but it's rather good and provides a nice stable base to fine tune.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone that has the Fanatec Forza Motorsport CSR wheels with the CSR elite pedals, do you have any indications of dimensions/weights of the boxes they come in?

In AU they want $699 for the set, seeing as you can buy them off the Fanatec website for $350, I could probably get them shipped cheaper via a third party.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Jarf posted:

What you need is the Forza Motorsport Tuning Calculator.

I don't think I've seen any mention of it but it's rather good and provides a nice stable base to fine tune.

There's also a more basic but much easier to use version on MyForzaGarage if Excel spreadsheets scare you. It gives a brief rundown of what to fiddle with to make the car's handling more to your liking.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Scirocco Griffon posted:

There's also a more basic but much easier to use version on MyForzaGarage if Excel spreadsheets scare you. It gives a brief rundown of what to fiddle with to make the car's handling more to your liking.

That's really cool. I use 'ForzaDroid for Forza 3' on my Droid once in a while (not sure if there's an iPhone app). I've used it for a few of my cars with success. It just has you plug in some basic info on the car (weight, tire size, distribution, etc.) and it gives you some settings to tune. Kinda like the spreadsheet but not as intensive, and it's on your phone!

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Forza 3 tuners tend to give pretty bad tunes when used on Forza 4 in my experience but whatever works for you.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Jarf posted:

Forza 3 tuners tend to give pretty bad tunes when used on Forza 4 in my experience but whatever works for you.

They can make a highly tuned car controllable, and if you at least know the basics of how to iron out major handling problems then they make for decent results if you just want to be able to get around a track without the car flinging itself at every wall in a suicidal fury.

Obviously no tuning sheet will ever produce results as good as learning how to tune from scratch, but they're a drat sight better than leaving all the racing parts at stock and you at least get to build the car how you want.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Puddin posted:

Anyone that has the Fanatec Forza Motorsport CSR wheels with the CSR elite pedals, do you have any indications of dimensions/weights of the boxes they come in?

In AU they want $699 for the set, seeing as you can buy them off the Fanatec website for $350, I could probably get them shipped cheaper via a third party.

The wheel boxes are about 14"x14"x14" and around 18 pounds and the Clubsport pedal box is about 18"x16"x12" and around 25 pounds. Elite pedals are probably a few pounds lighter but I'm guessing they use a similar or same shipping box.

They charged me $10 to ship the Shifter/Clubsports to California in '09, and $18 to ship the CSR Elite in Dec of last year. Not sure if that's a standard USA rate or what.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 18, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Also keep in mind that everything they have is already packed up and ready to be shipped as far as I can tell. If your order multiple items, you will get multiple shipments.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
So after doing some Rival stuff and realizing that Rewinds "don't count", I decided to start learning to race like a big boy.
No assists except suggested braking, AT. I've never driven a manual car so shifting annoys me because I don't know, like, when I should shift down, etc. I'm trying to run through every single race in the game with a lovely F200 Rabbit and a "balanced" tuning setup I DLed, just to get the hang of making teeny tiny adjustments so I don't spin out; I'll graduate up to like D or C soon.
Main question, and it's gonna sound ridiculous since I'm on a pad because I don't wanna drop $$$ for a wheel; is it better on a pad to leave the stick neutral, and tap L/R as needed? Or to make very slight adjustments towards the L/R without actually hitting the edge of the gate? OR... instead of neutral, should I be holding straight North on the stick the whole time and turning by sliding from Up to Up/Right / Up-Left? I feel like I'm overthinking it, I just want to know the most accurate way to use the stick because the game is hard enough as is, dammit.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
When I raced with the pad, I'd usually leave the stick neutral and tap the sides for straights, and hold it L/R for turns. I tried holding it north and rotating the stick around, but it usually felt too slow for me.
That said, I've been using a wheel for over a year now, I'm never going back to a pad.
And if you pay attention to your tachometer while in Automatic, you'll notice about where the computer will shift up or down - it's a decent way to get a feel for shifting. Then, go into a hot lap mode and play with it yourself. It will make you a far better driver to know how the transmission wants to act.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 18, 2012

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Quad posted:

:words:

Shifting:

As a general guide you can shift up at redline and down whenever you're more than 2000 RPM below redline. If you need a more exact guide, take a look at the engine power/torque curves via the upgrades screen and note where horsepower maximizes and where it begins to bleed off.

Steering:

When you have simulation steering on, tapping the stick is essentially strobing the wheels from full turn to neutral rapidly. This will upset the car's balance, inertia, and traction; it is similar to quickly jerking on a real car's steering wheel.

It will take considerable time to learn it but you will need to use the stick as you would a wheel - when turning out or leave a corner, gradually 'wind in' and 'wind out' the stick. In reality this is perhaps a quarter of a second at most, but this allows for the car to apply proper traction.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3flsrryONg0

Holy poo poo look at that angle. The R3 Quattro owns hard :h:

PS AdamH1mself was right behind me in his EB110 the entire time :v:

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Scirocco Griffon posted:

If you just want to save yourself a lot of headache, go to the Most Downloaded section of the storefront and there's at like three tuning files designed specifically for beating the community challenge.
Thanks for this tip. I downloaded the top Camaro '69 tune and ran a 15.7 on my first try.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Ok, people seemed to like the dice racing last night, so I am going to do it again tonight. I am looking at 10ish pm est.

Sure sure, the idea of e class cars on fujimi sounds stupid, but it's terribly fun to me so why don't you give it a try?

gt is bentron

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3flsrryONg0

The best thing is that the turbocharger sound is louder than the engine, well thats what it was like from my car anyway. :colbert:

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

T1g4h posted:

Goon racing owns hard. I think that EB110 flies better than any other care I've driven, too bad flying isn't really an objective.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Ether Frenzy posted:

The wheel boxes are about 14"x14"x14" and around 18 pounds and the Clubsport pedal box is about 18"x16"x12" and around 25 pounds. Elite pedals are probably a few pounds lighter but I'm guessing they use a similar or same shipping box.

They charged me $10 to ship the Shifter/Clubsports to California in '09, and $18 to ship the CSR Elite in Dec of last year. Not sure if that's a standard USA rate or what.

Awesome thank you. I may have found a guy in AU that is selling the Turbo S and clubsport pedals for $300 and have been used once. He is on the other side of the country but I could use my works freight account. Just have to sell my 3DS and games first to subsidise the cost.

Also have to convince the wife again, she no doubt will kick up a stink as I sold the MS wheel a few years ago.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Alright! Nice racing last night guys! Shall we try for 8 pm est tonight?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

burtonos posted:

Alright! Nice racing last night guys! Shall we try for 8 pm est tonight?
Absolutely great to be dice racing again for the first time since... Forza 2 I believe. Will definetely be around more often for that.

e: I must, MUST build some D and E class cars though. :(

Puddin posted:

Awesome thank you. I may have found a guy in AU that is selling the Turbo S and clubsport pedals for $300 and have been used once. He is on the other side of the country but I could use my works freight account. Just have to sell my 3DS and games first to subsidise the cost.

Also have to convince the wife again, she no doubt will kick up a stink as I sold the MS wheel a few years ago.
It should be quite easy. "Shiela, this wheel is the equivilant Four X, to the other wheel's Fosters!"

Btw; we didn't get lucky in the rugby

Falken fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 20, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Falken posted:

Absolutely great to be dice racing again for the first time since... Forza 2 I believe. Will definetely be around more often for that.

e: I must, MUST build some D and E class cars though. :(
If anyone has some decent cars for D, E and F, it'd be nice to see them in the club garage. There's a couple, but a bit more variety wouldn't hurt. The more competitive the cars, the better.

And yeah, dice racing is tons of fun :madmax:

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

If anyone has some decent cars for D, E and F, it'd be nice to see them in the club garage. There's a couple, but a bit more variety wouldn't hurt. The more competitive the cars, the better.
I imagine after our next SAEG race which is E class racing there may be some decent cars - sadly that's not for 2 weeks :(

And yeah, dice racing is tons of fun :madmax:

Yeah I enjoyed the bit I experienced on Saturday night, next time I'll try and not do it after spending all afternoon in the pub

JingleBells fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

JingleBells posted:

I imagine after our next SAEG race which is E class racing there may be some decent cars - sadly that's not for 2 weeks :(

Yeah I enjoyed the bit I experienced on Saturday night, next time I'll try and not do it after spending all afternoon in the pub

I wanna get in on some of this action!

• Locked thread