Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I guess I was looking at it from the standpoint I am not just starting. But since I have taken 4 years off from riding and the last time I was on my own bike I wrecked it I should look at it as starting over. And at the same time I don't want to spend money on something I don't personally like (style, colors, etc..) I guess I just need to search for something I can live with riding for a while till I regain my confidence.

EDIT: I actually just looked it up and there is a:Basic Rider Course for Returning Riders in my area I will look into that.

fyallm fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I don't think the CBR1000RR is all that hot looking of a bike regardless but anything can be repsol'ed. If you want to build confidence just put the plastics on a 250

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

fyallm posted:

I guess I was looking at it from the standpoint I am not just starting. But since I have taken 4 years off from riding and the last time I was on my own bike I wrecked it I should look at it as starting over. And at the same time I don't want to spend money on something I don't personally like (style, colors, etc..) I guess I just need to search for something I can live with riding for a while till I regain my confidence.

EDIT: I actually just looked it up and there is a:Basic Rider Course for Returning Riders in my area I will look into that.

Yeah man, nobody is saying don't ever get a Repsol. We're just trying to say don't get it *yet*. There are a lot of sharp bikes and if a motard doesn't suit you we can find something that will. An SV650 would be great for you, and it would make a great stepping stone to the liter bike.

You could also look into a Ducati Monster or any number of other bikes. What do you like about the Repsol? Just the sportbike style/colors?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Yeah I guess I didn't want to go back on my word that I wouldn't spend money on another bike unless it was exactly what I wanted. But I guess I have to get over that.

I like the styling and aggressiveness of the repsol, and the coloring as well. I do have a thing for orange.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

fyallm posted:

Yeah I guess I didn't want to go back on my word that I wouldn't spend money on another bike unless it was exactly what I wanted. But I guess I have to get over that.

I like the styling and aggressiveness of the repsol, and the coloring as well. I do have a thing for orange.

-Spend $1500 on a cheap smaller bike to regain skills and confidence
-Sell a year or two later for $1500 (or nearly)
-Buy Repsol and not do $1500 in damage to it because you're nervous and out of practice and drop it two weeks in

Don't get caught up on the "promise to yourself" and start looking at it rationally.

This isn't that hard

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fyallm posted:

You took four years off, consider your self new to riding. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking they will be fine because they rode before. Pick up a cheap learner bike (DRZ, SV650, GS, etc) and ride it for a year or two. This will get you comfortable again and you'll relearn the things you forgot.

Then sell the learner for what you paid assuming you haven't crashed or dropped it too many times and buy what you really want. Buying a 1000cc sportbike is a very bad choice for a new or returning rider.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

fyallm posted:

This is really the right attitude to have. I will second that DRZs and other lightweight, low displacement bikes, will be the best thing for your confidence on a bike again, and you can pass them to the girlfriend once you're ready to buy another bike.

Also don't forget that you can get repsol replica plastics for pretty cheap these days from china and the quality is decent, so you can convert a normal 600RR or 1000RR to repsol colors if that's what you really want.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

This is really the right attitude to have. I will second that DRZs and other lightweight, low displacement bikes, will be the best thing for your confidence on a bike again, and you can pass them to the girlfriend once you're ready to buy another bike.

Also don't forget that you can get repsol replica plastics for pretty cheap these days from china and the quality is decent, so you can convert a normal 600RR or 1000RR to repsol colors if that's what you really want.

The regular's are going to laugh but having done china plastics I'd like to show you how good they can be. Yes I know I've shown these before the irony of my glaring red title is not lost on me.

I took a wrecked R1 that looked like this:

and turned it into this with some elbow grease and chinese plastics:

They had Repsol plastics for the R1 but I couldn't bastardize it that way... You could easily pick up an older CBR 600 and put Repsol plastics on it. We don't advise people to run out and pick up 600SS's normally but if you go for an older 600 you should be fine, think pre 2004.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Considering he wadded it already on an older 600cc supersport, and his skills probably haven't improved in the last few years of not riding, I'd really recommend some quality back to basics time.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Considering he wadded it already on an older 600cc supersport, and his skills probably haven't improved in the last few years of not riding, I'd really recommend some quality back to basics time.

I absolutely agree, but if he HAS to have a repsol paint job on the bike, that's better than a literbike.

So to amend what I said previously, I don't recommend a 600SS. If you've just GOT to have Repsol you stand a better chance of surviving an older 600SS than a new literbike.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I don't plan on buying something I don't like, so the DRZ's are out. What makes the SV650 better than say a honda F4i?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

fyallm posted:

I don't plan on buying something I don't like, so the DRZ's are out. What makes the SV650 better than say a honda F4i?

Less power, different torque curve and I think the position may be a bit more neutral. I've never personally owned an SV, but I think Z3n has owned all of them ever produced at some point. I have a buddy that rides one and he is amazingly quick through the corners. On the flip side they make great track bikes and have a HUGE aftermarket.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

fyallm posted:

Lower HP, so less intimidating, allowing you to learn proper riding habits. More torquey twin engine that will have power where you need it, not at the top of the rev range. A bit lighter, which is really the big one.

The truth is, if you've already wadded a 600CC I4, you've probably ingrained a bunch of bad habits from that alone, making you somewhat worse off than a new rider who at least doesn't have to unlearn any bad habits. If your g/f is planning on riding, just buy a Ninja 250, it's the perfect starter bike for her and it'll get you comfortable on a bike again much quicker than anything else. Ride it around for awhile, and then pitch the bike to your g/f and buy an older 600RR and slap some repsol fairings on it. Trying to compromise on your re-entry bike is unfortunately going to make it quite likely that you will just wad it again. Re-entry riders are one of the highest risk riding groups, just barely behind the 18-25 bracket on a supersport.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Re-entry riders are one of the highest risk riding groups, just barely behind the 18-25 bracket on a supersport.

I managed to be in both groups at once and survive! My ego was not so lucky...:fireman:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You know, when I was younger (before I actually got into riding), I used to think that literbikes were the prettiest too. I really loved the look of the R1. Then I saw one in person. Do you know how *big* literbikes actually are? It's pretty shocking.

Don't get something you specifically dislike, obviously, but don't get your mind dead-set on a single model that's way out of your range either. What is it about a repsol 1000RR that you like, anyway? The styling is fairly generic sportbike and the colors are, well, colors. Those can go on anything.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

quote:

I managed to be in both groups at once and survive!

I am in that group till the summer.

quote:

Lower HP, so less intimidating, allowing you to learn proper riding habits. More torquey twin engine that will have power where you need it, not at the top of the rev range. A bit lighter, which is really the big one.

Ah ok makes sense.

quote:

The truth is, if you've already wadded a 600CC I4, you've probably ingrained a bunch of bad habits from that alone, making you somewhat worse off than a new rider who at least doesn't have to unlearn any bad habits. If your g/f is planning on riding, just buy a Ninja 250, it's the perfect starter bike for her and it'll get you comfortable on a bike again much quicker than anything else. Ride it around for awhile, and then pitch the bike to your g/f and buy an older 600RR and slap some repsol fairings on it.

I think this is the route I am going to go, but I would prolly look into the Honda 250r's.

quote:

Trying to compromise on your re-entry bike is unfortunately going to make it quite likely that you will just wad it again.

I don't really understand this. I rode on some pretty horrible roads and was pretty immature. I don't plan on doing that again.

quote:

You know, when I was younger (before I actually got into riding), I used to think that literbikes were the prettiest too. I really loved the look of the R1. Then I saw one in person. Do you know how *big* literbikes actually are? It's pretty shocking.

I do, I was just at Honda last week for my buddy to pick his F3 up from the shop, and took a look at the 1000RRs. They had a repsol in stock and I thought it was the best looking bike in their whole showroom.

I like the Repsol, the Aprilia Tuono V4 R APRC, aprilla RS 125, bmw s1000rr. I think it's the really point front end, and really the bmw s1000rr headlights.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

fyallm posted:

I think this is the route I am going to go, but I would prolly look into the Honda 250r's.

The only problems with the Honda 250Rs is that they're more expensive (bad for a beginner bike), and they're only singles rather than the twins of the ninja 250, so less power (22 vs. 28), which means worse freeway manners. Spares and parts also aren't going to be as available because they haven't been out for long. They do come with ABS as an option and that is the only non-aesthetic reason to go with one over a Ninja 250.

quote:

I don't really understand this. I rode on some pretty horrible roads and was pretty immature. I don't plan on doing that again.

I don't know you, I don't know how you ride, or what choices you make. What I do have experience with is watching people start riding, stop riding because they crashed their bike, start riding again, and looking at the decisions that they make with their bikes. The sort of people who started on a 600, crashed it, buy a newer, more powerful 600 for their next bike, nearly inevitably end up crashing again and getting out of riding. There's the handful of exceptions there, but in general, if you are under 25, a novice rider, and have wadded a 600 previously, the signs point to wadding your next 600 too.

And there's no such thing as a "horrible road". This is part of riding a motorcycle safely, being prepared for decreasing radius corners, when you get in over your head, etc. Because those same things that caused you to crash on a "horrible road" can be present on any road thanks to other drivers, potholes, poorly designed roads, so on and so forth. They might be less common, but they're still present, and you will crash again if you're not prepared both mentally and skills wise for them.

I'm not trying to beat you down here, I'd just rather see you start on a smaller bike, get your g/f on a smaller bike, and join the ranks of motorcyclists again with the confidence to handle any situation you might get into. Small, manageable bikes really help with that, allowing you to focus on building skills rather than simple learning to handle the motorcycle.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Z3n posted:

The only problems with the Honda 250Rs is that they're more expensive (bad for a beginner bike), and they're only singles rather than the twins of the ninja 250, so less power (22 vs. 28), which means worse freeway manners. Spares and parts also aren't going to be as available because they haven't been out for long. They do come with ABS as an option and that is the only non-aesthetic reason to go with one over a Ninja 250.

Ah ok that makes sense.

quote:

The sort of people who started on a 600, crashed it, buy a newer, more powerful 600 for their next bike, nearly inevitably end up crashing again and getting out of riding. There's the handful of exceptions there, but in general, if you are under 25, a novice rider, and have wadded a 600 previously, the signs point to wadding your next 600 too.

I am not under 25 and I am about to turn 26 in a few months. And I don't think I will never crash again, because I know statistically it is bound to happen.

quote:

And there's no such thing as a "horrible road". This is part of riding a motorcycle safely, being prepared for decreasing radius corners, when you get in over your head, etc. Because those same things that caused you to crash on a "horrible road" can be present on any road thanks to other drivers, potholes, poorly designed roads, so on and so forth. They might be less common, but they're still present, and you will crash again if you're not prepared both mentally and skills wise for them.

I guess I am confused as to how there is not a thing as a horrible road? In my college town the roads were filled with potholes, manhole covers with a foot drop off every 10 feet, and construction. Not the best place to be riding a motorcycle. I understand that there are potholes in random places but when I say horrible I mean the worst conditions where I was riding prolly 95% of the time.

quote:

I'm not trying to beat you down here, I'd just rather see you start on a smaller bike, get your g/f on a smaller bike, and join the ranks of motorcyclists again with the confidence to handle any situation you might get into. Small, manageable bikes really help with that, allowing you to focus on building skills rather than simple learning to handle the motorcycle.

I understand and I knew I would get 'straight talk' which is why I actually posted here so it could be beaten into my head. I just want to find a smaller bike that I can learn on, and actually think looks good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fyallm posted:

I like the Repsol, the Aprilia Tuono V4 R APRC, aprilla RS 125, bmw s1000rr. I think it's the really point front end, and really the bmw s1000rr headlights.

You haven't sat on a bike for four years, you crashed your last supersport, and you want to jump right back in on a newer and much more powerful supersport...because you like the pointy nose. :sigh:

Obviously you want to get a bike that you think looks good, but jesus, there are plenty of supersport-looking bikes with pointy noses that aren't going to kill you if you have a wrist spasm.

[e] better example

[e2]

fyallm posted:

I am not under 25 and I am about to turn 26 in a few months. And I don't think I will never crash again, because I know statistically it is bound to happen.

Statistically, you are more likely to crash if you don't develop good riding habits. Mechanically, you are more likely to crash on a 1000cc supersport because it is UNFORGIVING of the mistakes you will make when you don't develop good riding habits.

fyallm posted:

I guess I am confused as to how there is not a thing as a horrible road? In my college town the roads were filled with potholes, manhole covers with a foot drop off every 10 feet, and construction. Not the best place to be riding a motorcycle. I understand that there are potholes in random places but when I say horrible I mean the worst conditions where I was riding prolly 95% of the time.

1. Are you incapable of steering? If so, that might be why you crashed your first bike.
2. If the roads are that bad, you should get an enduro.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 20, 2012

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I had the suspension adjusted on the weekend at the track and I think I should have gone back and gotten it tuned some more.
On the street last night I noticed that I have a ton of brake dive now, more than I remembered. I remember the guy saying he'd softened the front up (compression I think) to smooth out some of the bumps. I'm guessing I didn't notice it as much on the track due to being out of my usual environment, speed etc, however it was pretty apparent riding around my neighborhood. I wish I had asked him to take notes on it.

Another thing I did notice at the track which might be linked is the back wheel was locking up while downshifting under very hard braking, even when I blipped the thottle. I get the feeling that it didn't happen prior to the change, but could be wrong.
Now the bike has a proprietary Aprilia pneumatically controlled slipper clutch-like thing which is just 'ok' from what I can tell on the internet. I had been expecting it to cover for me, which it has done in the past on the street without any issues.

I'm thinking that the two are related - that hard braking combined with a decent amount of brake dive means the weight transfer to the front is significantly higher, and that the rear wheel was loosing enough traction that the pseudo-slipper clutch wasn't able to prevent the rear wheel braking loose. Is that sound or am I off base?

I want to learn how to do this myself, and I believe that someone (Z3n?) posted up a suspension tuning pdf link a while back. I had it book marked on an old computer and lost it since, so does anyone know what I am talking about or can recommend a good link/book I can use?

Also while the thought of trying to back it into the double apex corner at the end of pit straight was very appealing, I didn't want to end up like Invision did that day.... :)

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

You haven't sat on a bike for four years, you crashed your last supersport, and you want to jump right back in on a newer and much more powerful supersport...because you like the pointy nose. :sigh:

That actually isn't true at all. I have ridden my buddies bike multiple times, but thanks. And I was just trying to point out the cosmetics of the bike to maybe get a suggestion on something similar?

quote:

Obviously you want to get a bike that you think looks good, but jesus, there are plenty of supersport-looking bikes with pointy noses that aren't going to kill you if you have a wrist spasm.

Thanks and I understand that, hence why he was asking me what I liked about the repsol so they could help give suggestions as to something similar looking. Why would it matter the technical aspects of the bike if I was looking to downgrade? Obviously a downgraded bike / beginner bike isn't going to have the same technical aspects so why the hell mention them?

EDIT: The not under 25 comment was to say, I have matured since the last time I was riding, which is one of the reasons I crashed.

fyallm fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 20, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah but not that one. :v: (Mainly cause it doesn't exist)

fyallm posted:

Ah ok that makes sense.

You don't magically become a better rider when you turn 25, especially if you haven't been riding ;)

quote:

Because those are all things that shouldn't bother a competent motorcyclist. You might get caught out by a pothole or a manhole cover on occasion, but crashing because of it should be a non-issue.

quote:

I understand and I knew I would get 'straight talk' which is why I actually posted here so it could be beaten into my head. I just want to find a smaller bike that I can learn on, and actually think looks good.

Unfortunately, you might have to compromise the "looks good" for a year or 2 until you develop the skills...again, first bike, not your last, and no bike looks good when it's covered in road rash.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just wait, after you've owned the big CBR1000 for a while, you'll come to your senses, realize that smaller bikes are where all the fun is, and buy that DRZ you say you don't like.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fyallm posted:

EDIT: The not under 25 comment was to say, I have matured since the last time I was riding, which is one of the reasons I crashed.

...but you haven't been riding (your friend's bike doesn't count). Your motorcycling skills are not a fine wine. They do not just get better when you leave them in the basement for years. You have to actually be practicing.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

...but you haven't been riding (your friend's bike doesn't count). Your motorcycling skills are not a fine wine. They do not just get better when you leave them in the basement for years. You have to actually be practicing.

I am not trying to say I have improved on my riding skill. I'm saying I don't plan on making the same immature decisions I made then.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you mean something like "I crashed before because I was drinking and riding" then yes, that you can control.

No matter how hard you try, you can't mentally control your body's proprioception to make your reaction time quicker or your turns smoother or whatever. That kind of stuff is developed through practice and nothing more.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

If you mean something like "I crashed before because I was drinking and riding" then yes, that you can control.

Things similar to this aspect (no, not drinking and riding but doing stupid things like this).

quote:

No matter how hard you try, you can't mentally control your body's proprioception to make your reaction time quicker or your turns smoother or whatever. That kind of stuff is developed through practice and nothing more.

Yes, I totally understand that.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
As someone who owns an '06 Ninja 250 I can tell you that how much I cared about how my bike looked quickly went out the window when I started passing people on 1200cc Harleys through corners. Not to mention I can go WOT through 3 gears before I hit the speed limit on most roads I ride on.

While aesthetics can be important, it's not what you're going to be noticing when you're actually out riding. And coming back after 4 years you shouldn't be looking at litrebikes because of their livery's or pointy noses. Buy a small bike and learn good riding habits, then sell it for what you bought it for, and buy the bike you really want.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

fyallm posted:

Here's the deal, every road has issues. If potholes etc. bothered you then you weren't comfortable with the bike. I have fun dodging potholes and skirting slick spots on my '81 Honda. On my DRZ I have to ask the question, who gives a drat about potholes?

Near me is a road that is VERY bad. Sport bikes and cars take it thinking it will be a fun ride and then they crawl through the road at 5mph because it's almost impassible without good suspension and ground clearance. I have absolutely no issues maintaining a 45-55mph average the entire 14 miles of the road on the DRZ. On the Honda I am still able to maintain 35mph+ and it's suspension is nowhere near on par.

I can easily adjust mid turn for traffic, potholes, loose gravel and almost anything else the road decides to throw at me. When I can't dodge something I know to unload my front end by accelerating so it will traverse the obstacle easier.

We all know I wadded my R1, what you probably don't know is that I wasn't a newbie rider. I've ridden my whole life, literally as long as I can remember. I've raced MX, some Enduro and even did some freestyle MX. I was only off for about 3 years when I got the R1 and the last bike I had ridden was a 'busa. That didn't matter, I still Layer Dan'd in a panic moment, albeit very softly after scrubbing much speed when I saw I was heading into a rock wall.

Basically, I did exactly what you're doing. The only difference is I had about 14 years of riding experience to back me up and I *still* hosed up.

I sold the R1 and took another hiatus after I got my post wreck speeding ticket. This time I did it the right way. I bought a 200cc Honda for commuting and used it for about 7 months. I took the gas money I saved from driving my truck and combined it with my tax refund in February to buy my DRZ. I feel 10 times more competent now than when I got back into riding with the R1.

There are still penalties for screwing up, but they aren't compounded by ridiculous power and speed. A modern 600SS can break rear wheel traction in a turn if you sneeze and I'm not loving joking. It's not a matter of if something happens it's a matter of when. If it happens at slower speeds on a smaller bike you have some leeway, things don't happen as quickly.

Have you considered a Daytona?
^^^ This is a joke, do not consider it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fyallm posted:

Yes, I totally understand that.

Then take our advice and get a CBR250 or EX250 and put Repsol plastics on it if that's really critical to you.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
The roads were bad, I was being stupid showboating and I wrecked when I knew I wouldn't be able to maintain control doing what I was doing. I don't plan on ever doing that again.

quote:

Then take our advice and get a CBR250 or EX250 and put Repsol plastics on it if that's really critical to you.

You haven't really been helpful unlike the other posters and you seem to be just attacking me instead of reading what I post:

quote:

fyallm posted:

I am now looking for suggestions on bikes based on the cosmetics that I posted I am looking for. The 250r is what I am interested but I understand what 3n was saying about being expensive for a beginner bike.

What type of mileage should I consider to high for this bike if I'm going to hand it off to the GF in about a year?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A certain brand of oil you say? Not too sporty you say? And bumpy roads?

BOOYA Repsol Transalp.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Ola posted:

BOOYA Repsol Transalp.

Holy Jesus in a cornfield I want one! :neckbeard:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ola posted:

BOOYA Repsol Transalp.

THAT. is a Repsol.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Has anyone taken an intermediate msf type class?
I'm not sure if it is common, but Illinois' program has 3 levels: the MSF Basic, Intermediate, and Expert.

I've barely had two seasons worth of riding (yay for a constantly breaking down old bike :P) and was thinking of taking the intermediate to make sure I haven't developed any bad habits.

Just wondering about anyone's experience with the class.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

fyallm posted:

What type of mileage should I consider to high for this bike if I'm going to hand it off to the GF in about a year?

Depends more on how it's maintained than thing else. If you can find one that's been well cared for? Anything under 30k should be fine. If it's more questionable, then it's all out the window.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

ChiTownEddie posted:

Has anyone taken an intermediate msf type class?
I'm not sure if it is common, but Illinois' program has 3 levels: the MSF Basic, Intermediate, and Expert.

I've barely had two seasons worth of riding (yay for a constantly breaking down old bike :P) and was thinking of taking the intermediate to make sure I haven't developed any bad habits.

Just wondering about anyone's experience with the class.

I haven't personally, but people I've talked with said they're a good thing to take after a year or two of riding, because that's when people tend to get cocky about their skills and unknowingly start devolving into squids. They apparently buffer and build that first sense of "Yes, I'm doing things correctly" you get from the basic course.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

fyallm posted:

The point is that you can pretty much ride any motorcycle safely on any road. Just have to be comfortable with the machine, and don't out-ride the conditions and your ability.

For a lot of us here, road condition is not a valid reason for a wreck. If you have that in your head as the reason you crashed, another supersport 600 or literbike after being off the saddle for a few years is another inevitable insurance claim.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So as I was looking around at ninja's the only 250 that look appealing to me would be the one's after 2008, and it look's like they run around $3,000 for the 08s? Does that seem right? If so, I saw the new cbr's going for 500 bucks more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

fyallm posted:

So as I was looking around at ninja's the only 250 that look appealing to me would be the one's after 2008, and it look's like they run around $3,000 for the 08s? Does that seem right? If so, I saw the new cbr's going for 500 bucks more?

Where are you seeing CBR's for $3500? MSRP is $4k new without ABS and fee's. Honda hasn't had a hard time selling them so I can't imagine they are blowing them out. If they are though that could be the ticket for you if you like the style and it's what you consider affordable. Just remember a scratched CBR 250 fairing is going to cost 5x as much as a scratched ninja fairing. Whatever bike you get isn't going to look to sharp after you or the GF dump it the first time, and you will.