Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Cherry 2000

Click to Embiggen

It's a decent poster for a pretty lousy film, but I don't remember Melanie Griffith being that ripped in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

FuSchnick posted:

I don't recall anyone thinking it was a terrible name at the time. The phrase "die hard" was used enough that most people were familiar with it (and Sears advertised the hell out of it for their car batteries). But most people I knew were thinking "Bruce Willis, an action hero? You are talking about the guy from Moonlighting right?"

He was very typecast in the Dave-and-Maddie role. But Die Hard turned out to kick all kinds of rear end, and now people have a hard time thinking of Bruce Willis as anything but an action hero.

[Edit] I imagine far more people thought "Live Free or Die Hard" was a stupid name. And that was after it was an established franchise.

If they didn't think die hard was dumb, then die harder probably got a few chuckles.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The stupidity of that subtitle wasn't helped with newspaper ads like this:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Robert Denby posted:

I am dieing as hard as I can!!!!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Not hard enough! Harder!

I really miss these in-your-face newspaper ads. Going back to "Die Hard 2", they had ads a full two weeks before the movie came out taking up a lot of the page:

This followed up until the release date:

And these were actually displayed sideways, so they were even more eye-catching!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I'm going to say those are amazing. Simple and effective, nothing fancy, just big bold letters that make you go "What that gently caress?!"

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Robert Denby posted:

A 70MM print deserves an ad this in your face

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm going to say those are amazing. Simple and effective, nothing fancy, just big bold letters that make you go "What that gently caress?!"

Just remembered that "Live Free or Die Hard" had a similar tactic on their billboards.

(couldn't find better image, sorry)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Madkal posted:

I am dieing as hard as I can!!!!

When I heard they were making a Die Hard 3, I wondered if it was going to be called "Die Even Harder". Ditto the third Alien movie, which ought to have been "More Friggin' Aliens Than You Can Shake A Stick At".

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

As mediocre as the film is I really like the title Live Free or Die Hard. Pity it's called Die Hard 4 point loving 0 here in the UK.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

When I heard they were making a Die Hard 3, I wondered if it was going to be called "Die Even Harder". Ditto the third Alien movie, which ought to have been "More Friggin' Aliens Than You Can Shake A Stick At".

I wouldn't mind the 5th one being called Die Hard or Live Soft.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Robert Denby posted:

Just remembered that "Live Free or Die Hard" had a similar tactic on their billboards.

Shoulda gone with "Yippee Ki Yay Mr. Falcon!"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Crackerman posted:

As mediocre as the film is I really like the title Live Free or Die Hard. Pity it's called Die Hard 4 point loving 0 here in the UK.

"Die Hard 4: Live Free or Die Hard" would have been a lot better, considering it follows the naming conventions of the previous 3.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Crackerman posted:

I just caught Live Free or Die Hard for the first time about a week ago and I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think it was mediocre at all.

Also on the off-hand chance UK or other goons from foreign lands don't know, the phrase is a play on words with an American Revolutionary War motto...

quote:

The phrase comes from a toast written by General John Stark on July 31, 1809. Poor health forced Stark, New Hampshire's most famous soldier of the American Revolutionary War, to decline an invitation to an anniversary reunion of the Battle of Bennington. Instead, he sent his toast by letter:

Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

The motto was enacted at the same time as the state emblem, on which it appears.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Well, the next one is called "A Good Day to Die Hard" or something like that, now that they are scripting it. Blech.

kiimo posted:

I just caught Live Free or Die Hard for the first time about a week ago and I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think it was mediocre at all.

Also on the off-hand chance UK or other goons from foreign lands don't know, the phrase is a play on words with an American Revolutionary War motto...

It's on their license plates too. Someone had "HARD" stickers made and vandalized some of the plates around the time the movie came out.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 20, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Does it revolve around John McClane busting up a bunch of Flatliners?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Robert Denby posted:

This is loving falconing awesome. I don't think I ever saw this before the movie came out, but I wish I had. I would've laughed and laughed.

More movies should take this simple yet effective marketing approach.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Is there any other movie that had this type of marketing? Simple and fun?

Meanwhile have some posters from a movie that I thought it was cool, "thought" because I was 17 at the time.

French(?) version,I think:

And the Japanese poster, which I think looks much better than the others:

And finally, the DVD covers!

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

kiimo posted:

I think it's better than people say (I like it more than 2, for some reason I despite 2) but I have the same problem everyone else has - it doesn't feel like it's John McClane, it feels more like Bruce Willis playing the character he thinks audiences think McClane is.

Desperado Bones posted:

Is that a toy behind them?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

It just so happens that the 1998 Godzilla movie had enormous posters put on side of buildings in some cities saying things like "He's as tall as this building." or something to that effect. Which Fight Club spoofed a year later by having similar posters, only they said "His penis is as big as this building." if I recall.

Edit: Fight Club also had some interesting PSAs in movie theaters.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 21, 2012

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Since we're on the topic of big display ads, it's impossible not to mention "Armageddon":

I know this is a small and crappy image, but that poster was gigantic and supposed to be draped over the middle of a building to give the illusion that there was a massive hole in said building. It caused car crashes since people were distracted by it, and was quickly withdrawn.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I saw Die Hard 2 the day before I took my first ever transatlantic flight to the States. :gonk:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Desperado Bones posted:

Meanwhile have some posters from a movie that I thought it was cool, "thought" because I was 17 at the time.

SIZE DOES MATTER

Especially when Godzilla is nowhere near this big in the movie.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Godzilla talk reminded me that the crew for another big film in development at the time made a parody of the Godzilla teaser poster after the movie was released and was awful:

This would be ironic given the film they were working on was Phantom Menace...

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.

Random Stranger posted:

The Godzilla talk reminded me that the crew for another big film in development at the time made a parody of the Godzilla teaser poster after the movie was released and was awful:

This would be ironic given the film they were working on was Phantom Menace...

The fact that it's for Phantom Menace is gold. Holy poo poo. :lol:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Didn't Small Soldiers have the tagline "Size Doesn't Matter" around the same time Godzilla came out?

EDIT: IMDB says Godzilla in May and Small Soldiers in July of '98.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Red posted:

Cherry 2000

Click to Embiggen

It's a decent poster for a pretty lousy film, but I don't remember Melanie Griffith being that ripped in the movie.

I haven't seen it but is her head way too small for her body in the movie?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

To be honest, it was called Alien3, which could be read as Alien Cubed or Alien To The Third Power. Then again, since there was one alien in Alien, one to the third power is still one.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Category Fun! posted:

I haven't seen it but is her head way too small for her body in the movie?

They probably painted the scenes and body, casted Griffith, and added on the head.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Last I checked, this is the real poster for Dark Shadows. Wow..

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just stop it, Tim Burton.

Just...stop.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oh man, that's really bad. So bad :/

If the movie comes out at least as decent,I'm going to blame someone from marketing for this horror.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That looks like a godawful Addams Family ripoff.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gonz posted:

Just stop it, Tim Burton.

Just...stop.

My friend met him during the production of Alice and said the same thing to him. I now blame said friend for spurring him to continue making this schlock out of spite.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.
God drat it Tim Burton. You made Ed Wood. You made Batman. You used to make loving fantastic and weird and whimsical movies and now you're just doing awkward dress-up games with your only two friends. What the hell happened?

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Damnit Tim Burton you've ruined my birthday! :argh:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The character posters are even worse. What really bugs me is that the characters in the actual film, besides Depp of course, don't really look like typical Burton characters. The posters make them look that way, and it's loving cheap and lovely.

The colors are also horrendous.

kiimo, sorry if that was your work. If it wasn't, please inform someone at WB that they done hosed up. (I get the feeling Warner Brothers doesn't give a poo poo about this film either way though)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Burton always putting Carter in all his movies pisses me off. Its one thing to just work together a bunch like Burton/Depp or DiCaprio/Scorsese, but to make sure she always gets a main role in all his films loving annoys me.

And yes, I know they're married. It still annoys me cuz when I hear Tim Burton I know her name will follow shortly.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

oldpainless posted:

Burton always putting Carter in all his movies pisses me off. Its one thing to just work together a bunch like Burton/Depp or DiCaprio/Scorsese, but to make sure she always gets a main role in all his films loving annoys me.

And yes, I know they're married. It still annoys me cuz when I hear Tim Burton I know her name will follow shortly.

He may as well be married to Depp too. I like both Carter and Depp but this poo poo is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lizard Combatant posted:

He may as well be married to Depp too. I like both Carter and Depp but this poo poo is ridiculous.

I swear Tim Burton's ultimate family is to film two hours of Johnny Depp loving his wife on a curly mountain while Danny Elfman scores it in the corner.