Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Veritas posted:

120front/180rear, Houston TX. i think they're sold though, dude wants to take them off my hands at the races. if by any chance he doesn't maybe we can work it out with shipping and all that. and that aim handle is old, sorry.

You're in Texas, who needs rains! I'll buy em if that falls through.

invision posted:

http://www.flashmetx.com/trackpics

Man, my body positioning is TERRIBLE.

e:and I look like a 5 year old on my bike.

Novice right? I don't see any blue SVs...

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
yea, Ganja and Invision were both in novice. here they are :)

Invi
http://flashmetx.com/proofs/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=10001#image=100211
http://flashmetx.com/proofs/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=10001#image=100240
http://flashmetx.com/proofs/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=10001#image=100246

Ganja
http://flashmetx.com/proofs/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=10001#image=100091
http://flashmetx.com/proofs/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=10001#image=100151
http://flashmetx.com/proofs/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=10001#image=100252

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

You know, I've never realized how ugly that 2pc suit is.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
sportbike track gear has some decent deals on alpinestar suits.

i want this suit:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=11756

and matching boots:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=11697

invision
Mar 2, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I am in houston this week and will bring the tires to washington if you guys make a deal. Support goons!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Those pictures reminds me, for those of you who have been to Jennings, do they have a resident photographer? I don't see any gallery links on their woefully outdated website.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
They do.

http://superbikepix.com/

His shots are pretty good and the price is reasonable as well ($40 for 1 day, $55 for 2+ days).

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Nice, its even got a semi-intelligent layout. I can't wait for this Friday :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

invision posted:

You know, I've never realized how ugly that 2pc suit is.

Less rear end off, more shoulders off :) you're crossing up pretty hard there.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Anyone have input regarding the California Superbike School? They are coming to Thunderbolt Raceway in May and I've been wanting to track the Ninja for awhile. $450 a day for instruction and bike setup seems like a deal to me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gnaghi posted:

Anyone have input regarding the California Superbike School? They are coming to Thunderbolt Raceway in May and I've been wanting to track the Ninja for awhile. $450 a day for instruction and bike setup seems like a deal to me.

I did the one day school at VIR on my SV commuter last summer. Learned a ton, had a great time and will be doing another school with them.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Awesome, that's what I needed to hear. :)

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
$450 for a trackday? daaamn, i mean i know its the superbike school and all but still.

that being said, i'm debating doing the Colin Edwards Texas Tornado boot camp for $250.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

$450 for a trackday? daaamn, i mean i know its the superbike school and all but still.

that being said, i'm debating doing the Colin Edwards Texas Tornado boot camp for $250.

Isn't it all dirtbike and flattrack?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

invision posted:

Isn't it all dirtbike and flattrack?

and stupid awesome fun from what i hear. those sliding around skills will teach you bike control you can then transfer over to big bikes. :)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

and stupid awesome fun from what i hear. those sliding around skills will teach you bike control you can then transfer over to big bikes. :)

Yeah I'm FB friends with "CEII" and it looks like a blast. He's got a shooting range and a bunch of other cool redneck stuff out there too.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Veritas posted:

I did cornerspin which looks like it is pretty similar to the Colin Edwards school. I know the things I learned there have saved my rear end on more than one occasion while riding like a dong.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Today was phenomenal :toot:

Obligatory transport and pit shots

For those that weren't paying attention to the excited posts I've peppered in this thread recently, I attended the Novice School at Jennings GP today. $250 gets you a very newb-friendly introduction-to-track-riding class session (basically the dos and don'ts of track riding), a few parade laps to learn the course, more class time to learn some beginner lines, and then five 20 minute sessions in total. My group only had six guys in it, so we got a lot of one-on-one feedback with our instructor.

I think I started out pretty well, and was told by my instructor that I looked to be the most comfortable one in my group as far as general bike control and body positioning went.
Unfortunately, that meant that the rest of my group was crawling around the track. Thankfully, the small groups meant that I could pop in the hot pit for a few seconds and basically have the track to myself. There was a decent spread of bikes; my group consisted of a Lightning (I think, I can never tell one Buell from another), an SV, and the usual smattering of supersports.

Thankfully they allowed passing on the outside of corners, because I wouldn't have ever gotten around anyone otherwise.

Picture dump time. These shots are a progression throughout the day, and as it went on, everything started to fall in to place. At the outset, my lines were everywhere and my acceleration/braking points were never consistent, but by the next to last (the last four photos) and last sessions, I was more confident by an order of magnitude.

I even got a posey picture :haw:

All in all, it was definitely worth the cash. Had I skipped this and gone straight to a trackday, I would have been way more intimidated and sheepish about pushing the bike a bit, but the advice of the instructors really helped things click quickly.
I also got 98 pictures of the same quality as the above for 40 bux.

My first actual trackday is next month :buddy:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 24, 2012

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
very cool! seems like you learned, and had a good time while doing so. if i can comment. stick the leading elbow out, and drop your upper body down more. so what was your favorite part of the day?

posey pics = fun pics

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Yay Jennings! My favorite track :)

AncientTV posted:

Turn 9 pictures always turn out good. I dunno why.

Where are you going next month Ancient?

Side note: Looks like I'm going to Little Tally this Sunday for a private trackday! I found this out about 5 hours ago -- good thing the R6 takes seconds to track prep. About half of the people riding are going to be friends/WERA racers. My lap times are going to drop significantly and/or I'm going to wind up in the fields. Possibly both. Will report back with results. Also running one of Elena Meyer's takeoffs in the rear, that should be good for a few seconds right there :v:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Veritas posted:

very cool! seems like you learned, and had a good time while doing so. if i can comment. stick the leading elbow out, and drop your upper body down more. so what was your favorite part of the day?

After I had a little bit off a scare nearly drifting off the track in 13, a former 250 racer in the pits told me exactly this. I hadn't seen my pictures before then, and I thought my body was down pretty low, but I fixed it over the last session and immediately felt quicker and more planted. The photographer didn't get any shots in the last session though, so it remains unseen.
My favorite part was probably seeing firsthand how lighter bikes can carry way more corner speed than the others. Granted, we all weren't running expert pace or anything, but I was easily cruising around the others in nearly ever turn. I was proud of my little Ninja :v:

-Inu- posted:

Yay Jennings! My favorite track :)

Turn 9 pictures always turn out good. I dunno why.

Where are you going next month Ancient?

Side note: Looks like I'm going to Little Tally this Sunday for a private trackday! I found this out about 5 hours ago -- good thing the R6 takes seconds to track prep. About half of the people riding are going to be friends/WERA racers. My lap times are going to drop significantly and/or I'm going to wind up in the fields. Possibly both. Will report back with results. Also running one of Elena Meyer's takeoffs in the rear, that should be good for a few seconds right there :v:

Yeah, I wish he had been at 9 a little later in the day. I think that was the first session. And I'll be back at Jennings next month, because even by the fifth session, there were a lot of little things I felt that I could fix, but didn't have the time to. For instance, how 5 and 6 can be made into one constant radius turn, I'd always early apex into 6 for some reason. I want another chance to go out there and get through it smoothly.

My suspension is terrible too :cripes:

edit: Or not, school is getting in the way next month :argh:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 24, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Where the Hell is the apex in T9?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
My approximation:

The blue x is about where those pictures were shot, with the red being the apex. T8 is a pretty slow turn, as is 9, so you come through it on the middle to get the drive out of 10.

edit: This is just what I was doing, I have no idea if that's actually a good line or not.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
had a blast at the races this weekend, despite my afwul piss poor performances.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

had a blast at the races this weekend, despite my afwul piss poor performances.

I was gonna go but I've been trying to get my stuff straight to get back in school, and gas money in my truck is ridiculous. Hopefully the SV will be running again by the end of the week so I can start stealing televisions for crack track money.

How'd you do?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

invision posted:

I was gonna go but I've been trying to get my stuff straight to get back in school, and gas money in my truck is ridiculous. Hopefully the SV will be running again by the end of the week so I can start stealing televisions for crack track money.

How'd you do?

no worries man, priorities.

and i did bad. don't even wanna talk about it lol. i think its time approach this racing thing from a new angle. i should have stuck to racing 250's =P. nah, but in all seriousness, i had a good time. i'll use this weekend as an eye opener, and move forward from there.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

no worries man, priorities.

and i did bad. don't even wanna talk about it lol. i think its time approach this racing thing from a new angle. i should have stuck to racing 250's =P. nah, but in all seriousness, i had a good time. i'll use this weekend as an eye opener, and move forward from there.

CMRA doesn't have it posted on their site yet :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

So Saturday was opening day of a bran new track in Washington called Ridge Motorsports Park

2.4 mile fast as poo poo road course with a 80 something foot Laguna Seca style corkscrew. Brilliant!

It was cold as balls all morning, and the track had some setbacks; People in a New Racer School class after our B group kept crashing to poo poo and red flagging everything and delaying the day. First session these yahoos went out somebody did a few laps dripping oil and caused an almost 2 hour track shut down.

Of course during this time I had forgotten to turn my GoPro's off on the bike so they sat there, not recording, draining battery. As such I only have video from the first two sessions.

Session 1 I literally didn't know if the next corner was a right or a left and it was cold enough my hands were frozen when we came off, so we'll gloss over that.

Session two, I'm slow as all hell, and basically just doddling along in the pack (and a bit wary of oil slicks on the track...) but at least it's something.

Going back in two weeks, and it can't come soon enough. Amazing track, can't wait to really learn the line and start picking up the pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUcfIwBOu0s

first track day of the year, haven't been on the bike in 8 months, new track, cold morning... go slow... go slow... go slow...

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 28, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Spiffness posted:

So Saturday was opening day of a bran new track in Washington called Ridge Motorsports Park

Zool, Bazacko and I were riding too :rice:
I feel super lucky to have a new track nearby!

The corkscrew is intense, but I found it nothing but fun. The approach is well marked, and each turn opens up just right with the speed you carry through it. It flows.

The rest of the track flows, too. Each turn opens up just right, once you get used to the blind entrances :v:

Bazacko

Zool

Spiffness

Me

My footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaSm-UplSIY

I pointed it too low, obviously. It's kind of cool seeing the controls, but I'm doing the tank mount next time.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 29, 2012

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
that track looks pretty fun.

and sorry gullous, that dude ended up buying the rain tires.

hey ganja & invision, April 29th at MSRH. Fastline trackday along with the motohouston BBQ. last year was pretty rad. and of course, everyone is invited.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
oh, i think i found a downside to my hard braking. i wore out the front tire before the rear. right side is kinda toasted. i'll be picking up a new one at the next trackday. i like the pirellis :)

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
^ good job!

No worries! Our weather was dry, which is really lucky when you consider it was snowing the weeks up to that week.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

that track looks pretty fun.

and sorry gullous, that dude ended up buying the rain tires.

hey ganja & invision, April 29th at MSRH. Fastline trackday along with the motohouston BBQ. last year was pretty rad. and of course, everyone is invited.

Enabler.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Signed up for another day at little tally in May. Need to head back to Barber this year then maybe try a new track.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

invision posted:

Enabler.

yup.

I'm supposed to do a 500 mile day ride on the 28th. If I don't do that, I will do this.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
i'm like a track dealer, you two are my junkies. i got what you need ;)

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
you make it sound so dirty

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Finally watched the Ridge videos. drat that place looks like fun!

I might be heading to the track this monday or Tuesday...we'll see. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
the bike was looking dirty as hell. smashed bugs all up front, grease and crud everywhere else. gave her a proper hose down. tomorrow, chain and rims. if i can't be fast, i'm gonna look good.

• Locked thread